University of Florida

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AJaKe

Re: University of Florida

Postby AJaKe » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HullMan31

Postby HullMan31 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:05 pm

Does everyone who applies get a UFID? Because I went "Decision in transit" today, and now have one by putting in my SSN and DOB.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:09 pm

HullMan31 wrote:Does everyone who applies get a UFID? Because I went "Decision in transit" today, and now have one by putting in my SSN and DOB.

All applicants can obtain a UFID. I put an application in for graduate housing the day after I sent my application.

I got a 3/20 letter saying I was an alternate for merit scholarships. Not a day for good news out of Gainesville.

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:16 pm

AJaKe wrote:
lobos wrote:Has anyone who is still DiT tried paying their seat deposit? I wasn't able to, not sure how accurate an indicator this really is, though.

It says my name and LSAC number do not match ... I wonder if there is an 'activation' something or other I need :/

Edit: It appears even people who have received their admittance packets are having this problem as well... curiouser and curiouser

Not to post-flood, but have you decided on UF??

I can't remember exactly, but you went to Scholar's Day at FSU, correct? I think being there is what showed me I wanted to be at UF.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:27 pm

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 pm

AJaKe wrote:Well, I have my new top 3 choices down. I've decided only as far as I am waiting to hear back since being WLed at GMU and whatever the decision is at UF.

GMU [>] UF [> or =] FSU

I really like FSU, but UF *is* the better school and gives me a better chance of getting out of Florida. The tough decision would be picking between the two. I like FSU because of it's proximity to the state government/CoA. But UF would give me better employment prospects and the alumni network is comparatively quite extensive. I really enjoyed myself at FSU's Scholar's Day, but I may have been biased since I went to FSU for UG so I already know the area and know I would be happy living there for another 3 years.

I almost WANT UF to reject or waitlist me so I do not have to decide between the two. But if I get accepted I am going to have to seriously look at EVERYTHING about each school. What the first year schedules are like (Torts 1 then Torts 2 or just one semester of Torts). I'd have to decide if I could put up with living in Gainesville for 3 years. I know the generalities of each school but I am talking about getting into the nitty gritty and talking up some more alumni to get opinions. :/

What about FSU turned you off? The library isn't impressive I know and the advocacy panel did suck, but what made you choose UF?

I've never really taken a liking to Tallahassee. I can't stand state government here, being from farther south in Florida it seems like South Georgibama (not that Gainesville is New York or London or anything), and being closer to home while maintaining my mobility (TPA and MCO airports) is attractive. I had a generally pisspoor attitude about FSU which probably wasn't fair, albeit influenced by getting snapped at by the Director of Admissions when I returned her phone call, only to have her switch into a cheery mood when she opened my file and realized she called to extend an acceptance.

The people I met at UF seemed normal, while at FSU's lunch I was stuck at a horrific table with a professor who showed up 20 minutes late and then just ate his food and acted as if he had no time for us. It reminded me a lot of looking at Georgia Tech as an undergrad and having the tour guide from hell, to the point that the things she said are still family inside jokes.

My father worked in a firm as close to biglaw as you can get in Florida and now has clients who are featured in each of their viewbooks, and the consistent opinion isn't pushing an alma mater but instead that I can't go wrong with either FSU or UF. The only person who has suggested one of the other is one of my own clients who happens to have his name in large letters on the side of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, so I just assume he's one of those Gator Nation fanboys.

The only bummer is that FSU gave me money and UF hasn't yet... I'm hoping they haven't gotten around to merit/need yet, or that all the 174's they threw money at will take their HYS acceptances.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 pm

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:52 pm

AJaKe wrote:idk, coming from Tampa I couldn't be farther away. I'd go out-of-state if I could afford it. Being close to family was never a decision maker. I guess I was just lucky, the prof I sat with actually taught the mock Contrats class we had after lunch and was very open and personable. He answered a LOT of questions. The only awkward part was that I was the only Nole at a table of Gators (-prof) lol

But I also see the limitations of an FSU JD. I have YET to see a FSU grad at my workplace of 25+ lawyers, I am at a loss to where FSU grads go after graduation. It seems they either stay in Tally or .... .... fall into the ether. I do know *a* FSU grad who got BigLaw, but that statistic is a bit depressing.

When did you hear about $$, FSU says they will not consider it until they get my seat deposit (jerks). I know some people who got accepted to UF with $ as their backups so we'll see how that ends up.

In my FSU acceptance packet there were separate forms for merit and need based $$$ and a deadline of February 14. I think I heard back within two weeks after that. The scholarship also has an acceptance deadline of April 1, so I'm guessing they will reassess once the early admits respond.

After receiving over half-tuition from FSU and hearing the financial aid lady there complain about how UF has more money to give out, getting nothing at this point was a little bit of a let-down. But then again, the only people listed on LSN with money so far are those who also have multiple acceptances to T14 schools, so who knows.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:31 pm

3/20 Waitlist here.

I'm staying on this thing and see what happens. I was hoping for an acceptance. :cry:

ShadowRabbit

Postby ShadowRabbit » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:33 pm

DIT 3/23

Finally... geeze I've been holding everything off on this. On the GW waitlist, and I don't know how strongly to word the LOCI because I don't know if UF is taking me or not, waiting on even looking at Miami or Stetson cause while I'm accepted, it would be moot if I get into UF. Everything for me has hinged on this decision.

I swear to god if they waitlist me I'm gonna scream. A lot. A lot of screaming will be done.

A. Lot.

alimich

Postby alimich » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Same here.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Like others have said, and not to get any of you down, just to inform....my waitlist letter said that the class was already full. I have a feeling if you're waiting still it's going to be waitlists and rejections.

Or Florida lied to me in their letter and they'll be accepting more people after the date my letter was addressed.

I have a feeling Florida went through and accepted the final batch on 3/18 and decided to waitlist the 3/20 group. I can see them in a room just tossing some in the accept group (3/18) and some in the waitlist group (3/20)

ShiftyPig

Postby ShiftyPig » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:15 pm

Not to be Mr. Obvious, but I think the smaller incoming class size has shifted the stats on accepted students a great deal. In the past 155 to 159 was much safer in the second quartile, but now it's those stats fighting for the final openings.

Edit to add: also last year the school was shooting for 400 and wound up with 440-ish (I think their yield was something ridiculous above 40%) which might explain the small number of people admitted from the waitlist. Admissions is inexact, so perhaps this year they've been overcautious and it will swing the other way.
Last edited by ShiftyPig on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:21 pm

cdingman

Postby cdingman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:20 am

lobos wrote:
cdingman wrote:I'm part of the 3/20 group waitlisted. 160 3.65. based on what I've seen the admissions office is being a bit high on their current estimates.

Are you in-state?

Yeah I'm an accounting major at uf

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:26 am

whats the realistic chance of getting of a UF waitlist? snowballs chance in hell? or are the odds worse than that?

Mikey1

Postby Mikey1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:05 am

I am a 3/22 DIT

Does anyone know if these are rejects or wait lists?

savanna

Postby savanna » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:11 am

Mikey1 wrote:I am a 3/22 DIT

Who knows. If they mailed them early yesterday morning,I might be able to let you know today. I'm 3/22 also,and I live in a major mailhub of a city in FL,so it should take only a day to get to me.

GatorPi

Postby GatorPi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:20 am

savanna wrote:

Who knows. If they mailed them early yesterday morning,I might be able to let you know today. I'm 3/22 also,and I live in a major mailhub of a city in FL,so it should take only a day to get to me.

I live in Gainesville...like less than a mile from the school haha. I should hope USPS doesn't suck so bad that it cant get a few blocks down the road within 24 hours!

savanna

Postby savanna » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:28 am

GatorPi wrote:
savanna wrote:

I live in Gainesville...like less than a mile from the school haha. I should hope USPS doesn't suck so bad that it cant get a few blocks down the road within 24 hours!
Ahaha,good! You'll be our go-to girl/guy this afternoon then
:mrgreen: . Who knows,they might update the statuscheckers before they actually mail them. :?:

jpin22

Postby jpin22 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:30 am

Good luck to all of you who are waiting, I started a UF Class of 2012 for those who are most likely going to attend.

hopeforthebest

Postby hopeforthebest » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:57 am

"Decision in Transit" as of this morning. PLEASE, PLEASE be a waitlist!!!! (Since we know acceptances are out of the question).

savanna

Postby savanna » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:01 am

hopeforthebest wrote:"Decision in Transit" as of this morning. PLEASE, PLEASE be a waitlist!!!! (Since we know acceptances are out of the question).

Yay for you! I now how frustrated you were getting. I wonder if midrangejumper is dit,too.

GatorPi

Postby GatorPi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:03 am

savanna wrote:
GatorPi wrote:
savanna wrote:

Ahaha,good! You'll be our go-to girl/guy this afternoon then
:mrgreen: . Who knows,they might update the statuscheckers before they actually mail them. :?:

Lol I'm a girl! And I'll update as soon as possible! My mail usually doesn't come until 4:30 or so...so we'll have a few more hours to wait :)

Solitere

Postby Solitere » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 am

Long time stalker here, and I am one of the updates to "in transit" 3/23. From what I've seen here I guess I will not be looking forward to the answer I receive. I'm praying for an acceptance, but am prepared for the rejection/waitlist.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”