University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jpin22

New

Re: University of Florida

Post by jpin22 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:34 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:I am now "under review by committee" as of yesterday as well. Didn't check my status checker until today because yesterday was my 21st birthday.
Ive seen from your posts that you dont really want to go to UF. Is it because of the school itself, weather, wanting to attend a higher ranked school?

hopeforthebest

New

Post by hopeforthebest » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:53 pm

jpin22 wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:I am now "under review by committee" as of yesterday as well. Didn't check my status checker until today because yesterday was my 21st birthday.
Ive seen from your posts that you dont really want to go to UF. Is it because of the school itself, weather, wanting to attend a higher ranked school?
Well, I'm in undergrad right now at UF, and I've lived in FL the majority of my life, and I'm just ready for a change. I don't want to practice law in FL either, and since 85% of UF grads end up practicing law in FL, it's just not the best fit for me. Nothing against the school or anything, although I must say I can't take much more of the horrible FL humidity that dominates almost half of the year.

But actually, I've recently started to reconsider UF. If they accept me, SO many of my friends want me to go to UF law. Like, every time the conversation of law schools comes up, the response is normally, "Why don't you just go to UF?" So I don't know, we'll see. I definitely don't have my mind made up with them yet. And for this concern to be valid, that would require them to accept me. Or even waitlist me.

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:00 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
jpin22 wrote:
Well, I'm in undergrad right now at UF, and I've lived in FL the majority of my life, and I'm just ready for a change. I don't want to practice law in FL either, and since 85% of UF grads end up practicing law in FL, it's just not the best fit for me. Nothing against the school or anything, although I must say I can't take much more of the horrible FL humidity that dominates almost half of the year.

But actually, I've recently started to reconsider UF. If they accept me, SO many of my friends want me to go to UF law. Like, every time the conversation of law schools comes up, the response is normally, "Why don't you just go to UF?" So I don't know, we'll see. I definitely don't have my mind made up with them yet. And for this concern to be valid, that would require them to accept me. Or even waitlist me.
I can understand the concern about the weather, although I would much rather be in the sun on a boat then freezing and stuck inside. The state of Florida definitely has its drawbacks, and as much as I would love to be in a city with the atmosphere of Boston and New York, I just cannot stand the cold. I think ill wind up at UF if I get in, which even though I have above average numbers seems far from a guarantee.

billykelly76

New

Post by billykelly76 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 pm

People say they can't stand the cold but really you just buy a jacket and some gloves and you're good to go. I lived in Florida my entire life and three years ago I moved to DC. I love it here - it's great to be in a city and have the change of seasons. The day before yesterday we got several inches of snow and it's really beautiful at the moment. I love Florida, but there is definitely something to be said for colder climates. Seriously, though, you get used to the cold pretty quick.

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:05 am

My distaste for the cold stems more from health problems. My whole body feels awful when i go into the cold (even when its 40 in FL) I become achy and usually wind up sick. I enjoy the snow and love seeing the change of seasons but my body doesn't like it for whatever reason. The heat really doesnt bother me, and while we dont get a full change of seasons its been beautiful weather in FL for the past few weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 am

billykelly76 wrote:People say they can't stand the cold but really you just buy a jacket and some gloves and you're good to go. I lived in Florida my entire life and three years ago I moved to DC. I love it here - it's great to be in a city and have the change of seasons. The day before yesterday we got several inches of snow and it's really beautiful at the moment. I love Florida, but there is definitely something to be said for colder climates. Seriously, though, you get used to the cold pretty quick.
I'm the opposite. I've been in DC my whole life other than my stint in Carolina. I wanna get out of here down to UF or Miami or out to LA ASAP! :D

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:58 am

billykelly76 wrote:People say they can't stand the cold but really you just buy a jacket and some gloves and you're good to go. I lived in Florida my entire life and three years ago I moved to DC. I love it here - it's great to be in a city and have the change of seasons. The day before yesterday we got several inches of snow and it's really beautiful at the moment. I love Florida, but there is definitely something to be said for colder climates. Seriously, though, you get used to the cold pretty quick.

Ahhh, I disagree. I'm from NC and recently it has been ridiculously cold and misreable. Yes, we had a couple inches of snow but not enough to get me out of work haha. I love the snow but it isn't worth living in cold weather for a total of 6 days of snow a year. I can see just as much snow moving to FL and going on a trip out west where I can actually ride on some nice mountains. Though I do agree spring and fall is quite nice; winter sucks if there isn't at least enough snow to have fun in! But of course the grass is always greener on the other side...

Oh btw, anyone know why UF doesn't take the February LSAT?

tempurabanana

New

Post by tempurabanana » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:04 pm

TKM wrote:Oh btw, anyone know why UF doesn't take the February LSAT?
Well, the application deadline is January 15 and LSAT scores for the February test didn't come out until March 2nd. I know that the secondary pool application doesn't have to be complete until March 15, but honestly I don't know anyone who has gotten in from the secondary pool. A lot of applicants had acceptances well before even January 15 deadline, so I guess UF just wants us to to have everything in early, and if they accepted the February deadline, it might cause people to procrastinate.

And hopeforthebest, I can relate. I did undergrad at UF and have been living and working in Gainesville for the past year. I actually love Florida and its weather, but I still feel the desire to get out. I think one day I might like to live in South Florida again, but not anytime soon so I also get a little depressed looking at employment possibilities with a degree from UF. All my friends have moved to northern cities now and love it, so honestly the only thing that's keeping me back is the money. I just am having a really hard time justifying spending up to $150k on a J.D. when I can get one here for $30k.

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:17 pm

Oh UF, you slay me.

I just called about my status. Silly me, I don't know why I expected an answer other than what we already know...

I told her that my status said "File Reviewed, Decision pending" and she said "Ummmmmmmmm.. (Long pregnant pause).That usually means they're still waiting to make a decision on your file."

Sigh.Sigh.Sigh.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:21 pm

savanna wrote:Oh UF, you slay me.

I just called about my status. Silly me, I don't know why I expected an answer other than what we already know...

I told her that my status said "File Reviewed, Decision pending" and she said "Ummmmmmmmm.. (Long pregnant pause).That usually means they're still waiting to make a decision on your file."

Sigh.Sigh.Sigh.
ya i wonder how long it's going to take my file to get to "decision pending" because of my #'s :oops:

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:23 pm

midrangejumper wrote:

Sigh.Sigh.Sigh.
ya i wonder how long it's going to take my file to get to "decision pending" because of my #'s :oops:
Just hope you go straight to Decision in Transit instead of the pile of doom. :/

I don't get why they make a big deal about the "priority pool" when we're not very priority. Haha.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 pm

savanna wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:

Sigh.Sigh.Sigh.
Just hope you go straight to Decision in Transit instead of the pile of doom. :/

I don't get why they make a big deal about the "priority pool" when we're not very priority. Haha.
i would have agreed with you for the MOST part, and i pretty much DO, however as the year gets later, you KNOW they'll be sending out pure rejection letters aka decision in transit lol

project40

New

Post by project40 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:43 pm

savanna wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:

Sigh.Sigh.Sigh.

this UF system is so confusing...savanna it says REVIEWED? (past tense?)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:45 pm

project40 wrote:
savanna wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:

Sigh.Sigh.Sigh.

this UF system is so confusing...savanna it says REVIEWED? (past tense?)
Yes, it does. As in "we don't like what we SAW (past tense), and we're hoping to SEE better. We'll get back to you if hell freezes over."

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:06 pm

could you imagine if they accepted feb lsats :lol:

Edge427

New

Post by Edge427 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:12 pm

Yeah, there seems to be three different "decision pending" categories, in no particular order:

Under Review by Committee
Under Review; Decision Pending
Reviewed by Committee; Decision Pending

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Edge427 wrote:Yeah, there seems to be three different "decision pending" categories, in no particular order:

Lol all with the same meaning

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Edge427 wrote:Yeah, there seems to be three different "decision pending" categories, in no particular order:

who here is "under review; decision pending" :?:

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:19 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Well now I'm second guessing what my ticker said... I think it was
UR by C--->Reviewed, DP.

But now I'm trying to remember if it was ever UR,DP....

Hmm... it's weird the way they leave us in the dark. You'd think in the 20 newsletters they've sent, they'd mention what it all means.

poodles123

New

Post by poodles123 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:42 pm

I don't know if anyone's clarified this yet on this thread, but I just called UF and asked them what the difference is between "under review, decision pending" and "reviewed, decision pending". She said that there is no difference and they both mean the same thing- they're holding onto the application until the end of March/early April. Just thought I'd share.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:09 pm

poodles123 wrote:I don't know if anyone's clarified this yet on this thread, but I just called UF and asked them what the difference is between "under review, decision pending" and "reviewed, decision pending". She said that there is no difference and they both mean the same thing- they're holding onto the application until the end of March/early April. Just thought I'd share.
I think I might call bullshit. If there's no difference, then why would they input two different phrases..??? Seems weird to me. Maybe they just don't want to let us know that one answer means "no" and the other means "WL?"

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:12 pm

savanna wrote:
poodles123 wrote:I don't know if anyone's clarified this yet on this thread, but I just called UF and asked them what the difference is between "under review, decision pending" and "reviewed, decision pending". She said that there is no difference and they both mean the same thing- they're holding onto the application until the end of March/early April. Just thought I'd share.
I think I might call bullshit. If there's no difference, then why would they input two different phrases..??? Seems weird to me. Maybe they just don't want to let us know that one answer means "no" and the other means "WL?"
no more tar pic? :o

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:13 pm

savanna wrote:
If you're right, "Under review" = Hold; "Reviewed" = Rejected
That way I'd have a shot still lol

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:17 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
savanna wrote:
no more tar pic? :o
I deleted it after the terror that was inflicted in me from the "admissions superstar" thread.Ahaha..I'm new to message boards..I never know avatars were so bad!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”