University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rainmaker614

Bronze

Re: University of Florida

Post by rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:32 pm

waker57 wrote:
ajf110577 wrote:
waker57 wrote:Yeah but almost everyone gets residency status for UF and FSU for 2-3L
Florida State's website specifically mentions that this may be a thing of the past. The legislature is expected to change the state policy and make it much harder to obtain residency once already enrolled. Given the budget situation I see it becoming significantly harder to qualify for residency.
Can you send me the link to that page?
+1

waker57

New

Post by waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:33 pm

rainmaker614 wrote:
waker57 wrote:
ajf110577 wrote:
waker57 wrote:Yeah but almost everyone gets residency status for UF and FSU for 2-3L
Florida State's website specifically mentions that this may be a thing of the past. The legislature is expected to change the state policy and make it much harder to obtain residency once already enrolled. Given the budget situation I see it becoming significantly harder to qualify for residency.
Can you send me the link to that page?
+1
This would pretty much secure UGA over UF for me.

rainmaker614

Bronze

Post by rainmaker614 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:42 pm

Yeah i would withdraw from UF immediately if this was the case.

ajf110577

New

Post by ajf110577 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:04 pm

http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_stud ... ewbook.pdf

It's in their viewbook, pg 32. And I had heard about this somewhere else before seeing it here.

However, before I change anyone's life plans too much, let me just say that I am far from an authority on this topic, and if I were you I would call the school and try to confirm this in some way before withdrawing an application.

waker57

New

Post by waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:09 pm

ajf110577 wrote:http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_stud ... ewbook.pdf

It's in their viewbook, pg 32. And I had heard about this somewhere else before seeing it here.

However, before I change anyone's life plans too much, let me just say that I am far from an authority on this topic, and if I were you I would call the school and try to confirm this in some way before withdrawing an application.
Thanks. I would definitely do more investigation before I made a decision based on this, but I'm glad I now have reason to look deeper.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

misbuble

New

Post by misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Every level of FL public education is trying to cut corners. The state undergraduate scholarship Bright Futures has gone under incredible scrutiny the past few years, and they want to rid the state of it (at least decrease the volume of awardees). This is significant for UF especially. Most kids went to UF because it was free for them, or close to it. Most of them would go to better schools out of state if not for the Bright Futures. I bring this up to corraborate the assertation about resident tuition becoming harder to obtain for migrant law students. If it came down to 10k a year difference between UMiami and UF, and if you wanted to work in South Florida especially, it's a pretty easy sell. Add in the fact that Gaineville is disgustingly redneck...

jgerber9

New

Post by jgerber9 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:36 pm

misbuble wrote:Every level of FL public education is trying to cut corners. The state undergraduate scholarship Bright Futures has gone under incredible scrutiny the past few years, and they want to rid the state of it (at least decrease the volume of awardees). This is significant for UF especially. Most kids went to UF because it was free for them, or close to it. Most of them would go to better schools out of state if not for the Bright Futures. I bring this up to corraborate the assertation about resident tuition becoming harder to obtain for migrant law students. If it came down to 10k a year difference between UMiami and UF, and if you wanted to work in South Florida especially, it's a pretty easy sell. Add in the fact that Gaineville is disgustingly redneck...
The locals are rednecks... but all of us students tend to come from the South Florida area...or at least a huge proportion of us.

misbuble

New

Post by misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:54 pm

jgerber9 wrote:
misbuble wrote:Every level of FL public education is trying to cut corners. The state undergraduate scholarship Bright Futures has gone under incredible scrutiny the past few years, and they want to rid the state of it (at least decrease the volume of awardees). This is significant for UF especially. Most kids went to UF because it was free for them, or close to it. Most of them would go to better schools out of state if not for the Bright Futures. I bring this up to corraborate the assertation about resident tuition becoming harder to obtain for migrant law students. If it came down to 10k a year difference between UMiami and UF, and if you wanted to work in South Florida especially, it's a pretty easy sell. Add in the fact that Gaineville is disgustingly redneck...
The locals are rednecks... but all of us students tend to come from the South Florida area...or at least a huge proportion of us.
Where are you going to go to law school jgerber9? UF still or are you thinking elsewhere?

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm not a redneck, but why is it "OK" to bash rednecks??? I imagine people would lay into folks bashing other groups? just seems there is a double standard here

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

waker57

New

Post by waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:59 pm

flhealth wrote:I'm not a redneck, but why is it "OK" to bash rednecks??? I imagine people would lay into folks bashing other groups? just seems there is a double standard here
you're absolutely right. the main reason I believe people think it is okay is because they are white christians, rather than a minority group.

misbuble

New

Post by misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:00 pm

because redneck isn't a race or religion, it's more like bashing kids who were in band

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:00 pm

The view book above is for FSU, not UF.

misbuble

New

Post by misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:02 pm

Do we seroiusly have to explain why rednecks are ok to make fun of though? I mean have you ever lived around rednecks before? If you think it's a stereotype that most of them are prejudice in some way (perhaps against bathing), you'd be wrong. I've lived around rednecks in different ares of this country, I have a more than a cursory look at them.
Last edited by misbuble on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

waker57

New

Post by waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:04 pm

misbuble wrote:because redneck isn't a race or religion, it's more like bashing kids who were in band
you're not going to get away with that. if i started saying "i'd hate to go to Columbia because it's all gangstas and thugs up there in Harlem" people would flip a shit.

misbuble

New

Post by misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:05 pm

I don't think they would, simply because the assertion is ludicrous.

waker57

New

Post by waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:08 pm

misbuble wrote:I don't think they would, simply because the assertion is ludicrous.
Well I'd go to Columbia if it was located on 140th and Lenox honestly. I am just saying there's a double standard if I said I wouldn't want to go to an area because it has all "thugs, homeboys, gangstas" or whatever, but there's no problem with saying "ew that area has a ton of hicks, rednecks, etc." the only difference i can see is one of color (generally), but maybe i'm missing something, or maybe i'm just overestimating everyone's reaction.

VAGATOR

New

Post by VAGATOR » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:09 pm

waker57 wrote:
misbuble wrote:because redneck isn't a race or religion, it's more like bashing kids who were in band
you're not going to get away with that. if i started saying "i'd hate to go to Columbia because it's all gangstas and thugs up there in Harlem" people would flip a shit.
Very True, it seems like "rednecks" are today's easy targets in this PC world of ours. Anyways, there is a lot more bums, hippies, and liberals in the Gainesville proper than so called rednecks. Once you get out into the county, it's a different story. I like Gainesville personally, and no I'm not a "redneck" or from the country.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:09 pm

I think people might have a perception of "rednecks" being ignorant and intolerant. This turns people off.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 pm

misbuble wrote:Do we seroiusly have to explain why rednecks are ok to make fun of though? I mean have you ever lived around rednecks before? If you think it's a stereotype that most of them are prejudice in some way (perhaps against bathing), you'd be wrong. I've lived around rednecks in different ares of this country, I have a more than a cursory look at them.
Fail

misbuble

New

Post by misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 pm

I wasn't saying the student population was redneck.

waker57

New

Post by waker57 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:12 pm

kak23 wrote:I think people might have a perception of "rednecks" being ignorant and intolerant. This turns people off.
Do you have a much different perception of a "Gangsta"?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:13 pm

waker57 wrote:
kak23 wrote:I think people might have a perception of "rednecks" being ignorant and intolerant. This turns people off.
Al Pacino in Scarface?

misbuble

New

Post by misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:13 pm

I think it is interesting that people are actually defending redneck as if it's a race. If you've lived around them, you certainly would understand the truth to the stereotypes of ignorance normally associated with their cliched archetypes.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:15 pm

kak23 wrote:
waker57 wrote:
Al Pacino in Scarface?
Denzel in American Gangster or possibly Saddam Hussein in the new HBO series where he shoots his best friend for no reason, that was gangster

misbuble

New

Post by misbuble » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Gangster anymore is an adjective I (and many others) use in lou of awesome.

EX: This ice cream is Gangster!

That shirt is gangster!

The mafia is gangster!
Last edited by misbuble on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”