University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flhealth

Bronze

Re: University of Florida

Post by flhealth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:05 pm

savanna wrote:So I just checked my mail.No letter...I guess they don't actually send them before they update the status checker or I wouldve gotten it. Sigh.
i got my letter (rejection) over two weeks ago....and my status checker still sya sletter in transit

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:36 pm

GobbleGobble wrote:A little late for input but,
3/18 dated acceptance letter (submitted early January, had been decision pending since mid February)
3.0/164/nonURM/Out of State (my UG GPA sucks but it was in engineering, and I also have a M.S. with a 3.85 GPA and several years work experience)
Reading these posts I definitely feel I JUST squeaked in on softs.

From what I've read, it looks like out-of-staters are generally able to become instate by the start of year two, does anyone know more about ways to speed this up? I have lots of family down in FL who's address I could start to 'move' my bills, car registration, etc to, so I'm wondering if there is any value in 'moving' to their address now rather than later when later when I quit work up here (AH!) and physically move to Gainesville. Since I'm already too late to have a full 12 months prior to yr 1 semester 2 I am guessing not.

Also, in general, financial aid for out-of-staters: feel there is greater or lesser likelihood of receiving scholarships? I know there are MORE scholarships for in-state but there are also a ton more instate kids to fight over them.... It seems like UF would do something to soften the blow to continue to attract out-of-state talent but what do I know.

I keep asking myself who walks away stable, comfortable-salaried career to go into debt, expecting only about the same salary after coming out, but I guess not hating life 9-5 for the next 40 years is worth it :? It certainly would be if I could knock down that huge 30k price tag for that first year...
Appears nobody has addressed this, so I'll take a swing:

Regarding residency... technically, you are eligible for Florida residency after one year in the state. However, with budgets as they are, I've read/heard that it will be much harder to gain in-state tuition for 2L and 3L.

Case in point: I've lived in Florida since 1991, obtained a drivers license in 1999, registered to vote in 2001, and have had a car registered in my name since 2005. On my UF Law application (not any forms regarding residency) I listed my local job and my work experience on a very well-known event for a very well-known media outlet (not some obscure thing) as "Location: Various" because there is a Winter event and a Summer event in different states. Because of that, I got a letter from UF stating that they needed further proof of my whereabouts. Granted, a phone call saying that I worked three weeks at a time, twice a year cleared things up. But they are not messing around with residency.

Not only do you have to prove that you are here (car registration, driver's license, voter ID, water/electric bill, tax filings), you have to prove that you are going to STAY in Florida. The best way to do that is to sign up for the FL Bar Exam as soon as you show up on campus. It'll actually be cheaper the sooner you sign up, but if you aren't planning to stay after law school, it may or may not be worth it.

I don't want to say you're screwed, but banking on cheaper tuition after one year is not wise as it isn't a guarantee, only a possibilty.

Scholarships: UF is still in the process of granting awards, but I have a feeling they could be stingy. I got over half tuition from FSU, but I'm an alternate for merit based awards at UF. I think my FSU one may have been merit/need, which I believe/hope UF is still getting around to distributing. But coming from a salaried position, you probably don't have the best (or should it be worst?) FAFSA EFC number, so you could be chasing the merit scholarships only. The best idea I can offer is that UF does offer some sort of matching cost grant, meaning that if you get into a comparable school that is cheaper, they will match that price. I think this would work if you get into a state school wherever you are and would be paying in-state tutition, UF might match that. Worth some research, but I know that you must demonstrate need.

And most importantly, not hating life for 40 years makes it 100% worth it.
Last edited by ShiftyPig on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

VAGATOR

New

Post by VAGATOR » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:37 pm

I guess UF is sending their letters out via Pony Express. :D

Mighty Boom

New

Post by Mighty Boom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:57 pm

midrangejumper wrote:this is going to be a batch of rejections. no offense to mighty boom, but if you're on this too, and you said your numbers are "auto-reject" #'s, then im guessing this is just going to be pure rejections.

Indeed. +1

Mighty Boom

New

Post by Mighty Boom » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:00 pm

alibaba286 wrote:just FYI for everyone, i am accepted (letter in hand) and can't log on to pay my seat deposit either. so i think it's a technical glitch rather than a meaningful sign.

8) The last thread of hope!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GatorPi

New

Post by GatorPi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:17 pm

Well friends, it's a rejection. I'm sort of bummed, but whatever. I feel numb to this process now. Hope everyone else gets a WL!

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:40 pm

GatorPi wrote:Well friends, it's a rejection. I'm sort of bummed, but whatever. I feel numb to this process now. Hope everyone else gets a WL!
at least your choice isnt florida coastal or barry

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:49 pm

Im sorry to hear that gatorpi, where do you think you are gonna go ?

GatorPi

New

Post by GatorPi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:14 pm

jpin22 wrote:Im sorry to hear that gatorpi, where do you think you are gonna go ?
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm kind of mad because it is my school, but I kind of don't care too. It's a weird feeling to be told no by the school you currently attend haha.

Well I'm still waiting to hear from Tulane, Bama, and UNC. I realize Bama and UNC are probably rejections, but I'm holding out hope for at least a WL at Tulane. So, as it stands right now, I'm hoping to get off a WL at TN, FSU, and probably Tulane's and end up at one of those schools. I'm definitely in some serious limbo! And probably will be for a good month or so more :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

savanna

New

Post by savanna » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:38 pm

Ugh...I'm sorry GAtorPi..I bet that is a very weird feeling :( I guess I should definitely steel myself for a rejection then.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:50 pm

GatorPi wrote:
jpin22 wrote:Im sorry to hear that gatorpi, where do you think you are gonna go ?
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm kind of mad because it is my school, but I kind of don't care too. It's a weird feeling to be told no by the school you currently attend haha.

Well I'm still waiting to hear from Tulane, Bama, and UNC. I realize Bama and UNC are probably rejections, but I'm holding out hope for at least a WL at Tulane. So, as it stands right now, I'm hoping to get off a WL at TN, FSU, and probably Tulane's and end up at one of those schools. I'm definitely in some serious limbo! And probably will be for a good month or so more :)
what was your DIT date if you dont mind me asking? sorry again about the rejection

GatorPi

New

Post by GatorPi » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:52 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
GatorPi wrote:

what was your DIT date if you dont mind me asking? sorry again about the rejection
My DIT date was yesterday haha! But remember, I live a few blocks away from the law school. So it only took a day to get here.

afx

New

Post by afx » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Got my waitlist today. Part of the 3/20 crew

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

karie32084

New

Post by karie32084 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:10 am

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the WL. I'm a long time stalker here and I'm finally breaking down! I'm a 3/20 DIT. I ASSUME WL but has anyone been accepted or rejected from that batch? I live in Florida so I'm anxious that I haven't received my snail mail yet! :-)

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:32 am

last big batch acceptances came a few days after the rejections...thought was they were updating the deposit system before sending them out...not sure if thats the case this time but i'd say the longer the DIT the better the news you get

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:41 am

afx wrote:Got my waitlist today. Part of the 3/20 crew
I assume that'll be me as well. Well, that or a rejection. I'll probably be WD'ing regardless.

GatorPi

New

Post by GatorPi » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:46 am

So, my friend who is a 2L at UF right now told me that she had lunch with the Dean yesterday and he was very stressed out! He said that they had been rejecting a lot of people who they normally would've taken and it has pissed a lot of people off. So, I think UF is really having a hard time of it right now. I sort of feel bad for them...but then I sort of don't because they rejected me :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:37 am

GatorPi wrote:So, my friend who is a 2L at UF right now told me that she had lunch with the Dean yesterday and he was very stressed out! He said that they had been rejecting a lot of people who they normally would've taken and it has pissed a lot of people off. So, I think UF is really having a hard time of it right now. I sort of feel bad for them...but then I sort of don't because they rejected me :)
I don't doubt it. Last year they were aiming for 400 and wound up with 447 with some ridiculously high yield. From what I could tell, only Yale and Harvard had higher yields last year than UF - which has to be some sort of freak statistic. If they are in fact serious about a 1L class of 300, they had to do a better job of protecting themselves this year.

northerndeac

New

Post by northerndeac » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Got my reject letter today (DiT 3/23). Fun times!

I guess I'm done with this thread.

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:17 pm

DIT 3/23, rejected.

Oh well, horrible cycle, so much for addendum's "explaining" gpa. Guess its Miami unless for some inane reason GW takes me off their waitlist. Best of luck to everyone else on this thread. :)

tknlacrosse

New

Post by tknlacrosse » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:39 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:
GatorPi wrote:So, my friend who is a 2L at UF right now told me that she had lunch with the Dean yesterday and he was very stressed out! He said that they had been rejecting a lot of people who they normally would've taken and it has pissed a lot of people off. So, I think UF is really having a hard time of it right now. I sort of feel bad for them...but then I sort of don't because they rejected me :)
I don't doubt it. Last year they were aiming for 400 and wound up with 447 with some ridiculously high yield. From what I could tell, only Yale and Harvard had higher yields last year than UF - which has to be some sort of freak statistic. If they are in fact serious about a 1L class of 300, they had to do a better job of protecting themselves this year.
I hope this means great things for people placed on the wait list!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GaGirl09

New

Post by GaGirl09 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Has anyone in the 3/22 DIT group heard anything yet?

I am getting so nervous. I'm 155/4.0/Honors Scholar/Out of State. I spent 6 months working in DC for Congress and have an amazing letter of rec from the Congressman I worked for. Looks like I'm facing rejection, though :(

GaGirl09

New

Post by GaGirl09 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:09 pm

flhealth wrote:last big batch acceptances came a few days after the rejections...thought was they were updating the deposit system before sending them out...not sure if thats the case this time but i'd say the longer the DIT the better the news you get
Well, the status update went blank for a while before the 3/22 DiT letters went out, which I was told was due to deposit system updates... so, here's to hoping that those letters are the last batch of acceptances!!

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:11 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaGirl09

New

Post by GaGirl09 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:23 pm

AJaKe wrote: How many times have you taken the LSAT? Beause with that GPA ... you would be golden...
Just once. I'm really kicking myself for not being better prepared. I didn't study at all, which is probably the stupidest decision of my life. But, I was working full-time in DC. Not to mention I took it in September, which was amidst the financial bailout drama. Thus, I was working 16-18 hour days, 7 days a week, and dealing with the greater US screaming at me during those times. So, I went in there absolutely exhausted an ill prepared. I'm a genius.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”