University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
The Zeppelin

Bronze

Re: University of Florida

Post by The Zeppelin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:13 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:For those of you accepted today, were you ever "decision pending"
?
"All Documents Received" to "Decision in Transit"

Nevertheless, it would probably take a full-tuition scholarship for me to end up at UF. I think we all know that will never happen. :wink:

alibaba286

New

Post by alibaba286 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:26 pm

i didn't receive the student update that explained the various statuses (statii?) so i apologize for asking this dumb question, but is 'reviewed by committee, decision pending' like a hold/deferral? i'm not really sure what those mean either, to add to my confusion. 'deferral' means like if you applied ED at a school, they push you back into the RD pool right? and 'hold' means what, exactly? i'm just wondering if this is an appropriate time to send additional materials or an LOCI, or if i should wait to see if I am WL'd.

i hate waiting. and i hate the cold, so i need to go to gainesville, because miami's tuition would require me to sell my organs, and i like my organs.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:40 pm

alibaba286 wrote:i didn't receive the student update that explained the various statuses (statii?) so i apologize for asking this dumb question, but is 'reviewed by committee, decision pending' like a hold/deferral? i'm not really sure what those mean either, to add to my confusion. 'deferral' means like if you applied ED at a school, they push you back into the RD pool right? and 'hold' means what, exactly? i'm just wondering if this is an appropriate time to send additional materials or an LOCI, or if i should wait to see if I am WL'd.

i hate waiting. and i hate the cold, so i need to go to gainesville, because miami's tuition would require me to sell my organs, and i like my organs.
Its sounds as if we are their back up plan. They really want to go to the prom with someone else, but they might ask us if they are turned down....

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:18 pm

people with "review, decision pending" when did you guys go originally to "all docs received" ?

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:01 pm

midrangejumper wrote:people with "review, decision pending" when did you guys go originally to "all docs received" ?
That was my first status, probably beginning of January when I received the status checker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GatorPi

New

Post by GatorPi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:58 pm

My "All Doc Received" happened back in December. Then it went "in review" on Dec. 16th. Then my date changed on the "in review" to 1/22. Then it changed AGAIN to "Reviewed by committee: Decision Pending" on like the 26th. I called them to ask what that meant and they said that my file had been reviewed but they hadn't made a decision and most likely wouldn't until late March/early April. I took that to mean that I've been put on the back burner as someone they dont want to flat out reject, but they want to see if anyone better comes along before they accept me. Very frustrating!

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:14 pm

GatorPi wrote:My "All Doc Received" happened back in December. Then it went "in review" on Dec. 16th. Then my date changed on the "in review" to 1/22. Then it changed AGAIN to "Reviewed by committee: Decision Pending" on like the 26th. I called them to ask what that meant and they said that my file had been reviewed but they hadn't made a decision and most likely wouldn't until late March/early April. I took that to mean that I've been put on the back burner as someone they dont want to flat out reject, but they want to see if anyone better comes along before they accept me. Very frustrating!
ya that is what we've seen, "decision pending" seems to = a WL/hold of some sort until late march/april

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:19 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
GatorPi wrote:My "All Doc Received" happened back in December. Then it went "in review" on Dec. 16th. Then my date changed on the "in review" to 1/22. Then it changed AGAIN to "Reviewed by committee: Decision Pending" on like the 26th. I called them to ask what that meant and they said that my file had been reviewed but they hadn't made a decision and most likely wouldn't until late March/early April. I took that to mean that I've been put on the back burner as someone they dont want to flat out reject, but they want to see if anyone better comes along before they accept me. Very frustrating!
ya that is what we've seen, "decision pending" seems to = a WL/hold of some sort until late march/april
maybe they are trying to fill in in-state slots...the out of states are probably pretty full already

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:22 pm

flhealth wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:
maybe they are trying to fill in in-state slots...the out of states are probably pretty full already
i think they're just trying to get as many people with higher numbers admitted as much as they can, then go back to the lower numbers and sort through those apps :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

afx

New

Post by afx » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:23 pm

flhealth wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:
I'm in-state and at or above their medians with a decision pending status :(

GatorPi

New

Post by GatorPi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:44 pm

afx wrote:
flhealth wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:
I'm in-state and at or above their medians with a decision pending status :(

I'm in state and in their median for LSAT and a little low for GPA. But I'm also in their UG. So, I think its probably that they are doing what was said above...holding us to see how many people with better scores will accept their offer and then fill in the class with us. It's a little disheartening, but it makes me want to do awesome in law school to make up for my partying ways in UG that got me into this position!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm out of town for the weekend but my roommate informed me that there was a big package from UF in the mail. So I assume I'm in.

GatorPi

New

Post by GatorPi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Congrats, #s? And are you one of the "Decision Pending" people turned accepted?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:16 pm

GatorPi wrote:Congrats, #s? And are you one of the "Decision Pending" people turned accepted?
Thanks. 164/3.4 OOS. Mine went straight from "All required documents received" to "Decision letter in transit"

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:30 pm

anyone going to ASD? :)

uncle mike

New

Post by uncle mike » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:16 pm

geoanthem wrote:
GatorPi wrote:Congrats, #s? And are you one of the "Decision Pending" people turned accepted?
Thanks. 164/3.4 OOS. Mine went straight from "All required documents received" to "Decision letter in transit"
Congrats!

I'm 164/3.2 OOS Non-URM who lived in Florida for seven years. I'd love to go back but I believe I am a reject due to low GPA.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:30 pm

uncle mike wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
Congrats!

I'm 164/3.2 OOS Non-URM who lived in Florida for seven years. I'd love to go back but I believe I am a reject due to low GPA.
You never know. I think you could get in. You're gpa is not that much lower than mine. Good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:24 pm

doing a tour wednesday and sitting in on a class...let you know how it goes

lilognl

New

Post by lilognl » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:07 pm

hannah wrote:
lilognl wrote:
hannah wrote: .
Sorry for taking so long to answer back, I’ve been working on my senior thesis like a neurotic maniac! About your comments in the edit: Why do you assume that my numbers dwarf all of my accomplishments if you have no clue about what I’ve done? Also, I don’t understand why you’d think that numbers alone are enough to get into a school like NYU. It seems you’re misinformed. I have friends there and not one of them neglected to complete an internship or participate in meaningful extra-curricular activities before applying. It’s standard for any top-10 law school. So if all you’ve done is score well on your exams and work part-time on Einstein Bagels, you’ve dramatically lowered your chances of getting in. If you’ve done more than that, then hey, you might be joining my class. :)

On another note, when it comes to class sizes I don’t think UF is a winner. You admitted to sitting in an auditorium for half of your undergrad education (lower division). I went to school there for two years. I, too, know what it’s like to study at UF. Let’s say that, academically, UF offers the same content as any other school when it comes to lower division classes, so a community college student who had an enriched full-of-personal-attention general studies experience could transfer as a junior and make it more worthwhile.

“If you're talking about the run-of-the-mill undecided high school graduate who is heading to a Florida school for undergrad, UF is much, much better than anything else in the state.”

Well, then I guess I broke the mold. I was an undecided high school grad when I enrolled at UF and found out that it just wasn’t the best deal for me. To be honest I think UM is much, much better! You mentioned some rankings and while we do have to pay attention to them in dealing with our graduate school choices I don’t think it matters in undergrad. Graduate school admissions committees seem to agree, you will find grads from 3rd and 4th tier schools at Harvard Law, Stanford, and so on. That’s just one of the reasons why I don’t look at UF’s #49 as a defining factor in defining excellence within the state. To put UF on a pedestal in Florida cheapens the merits of other programs and schools which are just as great.

You said FIU isn't good but, frankly, I don't think it's bad for the run-of-the-mill undecided high school grad. They're probably teaching the same materials being covered in all other state schools. Being from Miami, I grew up with an aversion to FIU only because it was so easy to access (Total snob mentality). I thought that maybe if I ended up there, it meant that I failed to achieve something greater. But in retrospect, I really failed to -objectively- evaluate the quality of their programs. Heck, I didn’t even give it a chance.

I understand why you’d defend your alma mater but there’s really no need to explain your decisions. Chosen frivolously or not, it was still a very good investment. You felt it was right for you, and that just validates my point. The best school is the one capable to offer an enriching experience according to one’s own objectives. In one school Sam would be able to have strong academics in a small supportive environment while at another Mike could have a varied social life in a large campus and start his own entrepreneurial on-campus venture. Maybe if they were to switch places they wouldn’t grow and develop as much.

I think the trick is in the saying “Know Thyself”. The more we understand what we truly want out of something, and the more candid we are about evaluating ourselves, the better choices we’ll end up making. In the end, that’s what makes the best educational experience at the best school.

**BTW, this will be my last post on this tread.. Since this is completely unrelated to uf law apps. Good luck everyone!

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:18 pm

Nothing like bringing something up from weeks ago.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Just got my acceptance. Was away for the long weekend. Very excited about it!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

VAGATOR

New

Post by VAGATOR » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:42 pm

geoanthem wrote:Just got my acceptance. Was away for the long weekend. Very excited about it!
Congrads bro. I'm a Gator to the core, but UF Law is testing me. If I don't hear from them by March 1, I probably will withdraw my application. I have other options.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 pm

VAGATOR wrote:
geoanthem wrote:Just got my acceptance. Was away for the long weekend. Very excited about it!
Congrads bro. I'm a Gator to the core, but UF Law is testing me. If I don't hear from them by March 1, I probably will withdraw my application. I have other options.
Thanks man. I'm sure you'll hear soon. Is UF one of your top choices? Can you tell me a little bit more about it? Thanks man.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:12 pm

geoanthem wrote:
VAGATOR wrote:
Thanks man. I'm sure you'll hear soon. Is UF one of your top choices? Can you tell me a little bit more about it? Thanks man.
Congrats dude.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:14 pm

PKSebben wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
VAGATOR wrote:
Congrats dude.
Thanks man. I'm really considering UF because it doesn't have that much competition regionally from other schools besides FSU and Miami. I know you're at Michigan but can you shed a little light on job prospects in Florida (and the Southeast) coming out of UF Law? Thanks a bunch man.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”