University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
minuit

Silver

Re: University of Florida

Post by minuit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:I didn't apply to FSU because I figured that I only want to apply to the best university in the state, and everyone seemed to agree that it was UF. (I don't intend on starting a debate about it).
The profile of UF on this website is absolutely ridiculous in comparison to the FSU profile on the site. You can tell that there's some pretty heavy bias going on, when the UF profile is 10x longer and more detailed than the FSU profile, and it says about 5 times that "UF is the top-dog in the state" or "UF is number 1 in the eyes of floridians" and all that. It sort of makes me angry that it gives such a skewed version of the two schools to outsiders who are trying to decide where to apply. The fact of the matter is that UF was better in the past, and then it plateaued, and FSU has continued to rise. It's very silly to say that UF or FSU is, at the moment, better than one another when they are ranked 51 and 52. When I read UF's profile on LSN, it sounds a lot like desperation to me. You are definitely entitled to your personal preferences, but seriously, do some research!!

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:06 pm

UF has the largest alumni base, and thus, the largest statewide pull. In education FSU is on par, but a UF degree carries more weight when you apply for that first job. Gator Nation... This trend will continue for a while, until FSU pushes itself far past UF in the rankings, if that happens. Both schools offer good opportunities in the long run however. If you go to either school, plan on placing in the top 25% and one should be fine. If you are in state, great, if you are out of state, visit florida first, you will realize that Florida is a suburban and rural state. Ask yourselves this question, can you really live in a place Jacksonville or Orlando for the rest of your life?

Franco Columbu

New

Post by Franco Columbu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:08 pm

minuit wrote:
Franco Columbu wrote:I didn't apply to FSU because I figured that I only want to apply to the best university in the state, and everyone seemed to agree that it was UF. (I don't intend on starting a debate about it).
The profile of UF on this website is absolutely ridiculous in comparison to the FSU profile on the site. You can tell that there's some pretty heavy bias going on, when the UF profile is 10x longer and more detailed than the FSU profile, and it says about 5 times that "UF is the top-dog in the state" or "UF is number 1 in the eyes of floridians" and all that. It sort of makes me angry that it gives such a skewed version of the two schools to outsiders who are trying to decide where to apply. The fact of the matter is that UF was better in the past, and then it plateaued, and FSU has continued to rise. It's very silly to say that UF or FSU is, at the moment, better than one another when they are ranked 51 and 52. When I read UF's profile on LSN, it sounds a lot like desperation to me. You are definitely entitled to your personal preferences, but seriously, do some research!!

Like you said, UF is 51st over FSU which is 52nd. So I simply looked into the highest ranking university in the state.
Don't get on my case about it. Read between the brackets, I didn't intend on triggering anyone's inferiority complex.

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:17 pm

ram jam wrote:UF has the largest alumni base, and thus, the largest statewide pull. In education FSU is on par, but a UF degree carries more weight when you apply for that first job. Gator Nation... This trend will continue for a while, until FSU pushes itself far past UF in the rankings, if that happens. Both schools offer good opportunities in the long run however. If you go to either school, plan on placing in the top 25% and one should be fine. If you are in state, great, if you are out of state, visit florida first, you will realize that Florida is a suburban and rural state. Ask yourselves this question, can you really live in a place Jacksonville or Orlando for the rest of your life?
Yes, I agree that the one factor where UF currently beats FSU is the alumni base. UF Law has a bigger class size and has been around longer. I also agree that any outsiders realllly need to visit both schools, because there are a lot of similarities, but a lot of differences! I still don't think that TLS profiles gives FSU a fair shot, though. Basically, for Franco, if he really is considering moving to FL and practicing here, I don't want him/her to only apply to UF and perhaps not get in, when FSU is an equally good option, and he might get in there!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:
minuit wrote:

Like you said, UF is 51st over FSU which is 52nd. So I simply looked into the highest ranking university in the state.
Don't get on my case about it. Read between the brackets, I didn't intend on triggering anyone's inferiority complex.
I wasn't trying to be rude, I was trying to be helpful. There's a strong possibility that in the next few years FSU could be 51 and UF could be 52; the difference between the two is arbitrary. I don't have an inferiority complex, I'm just speaking the truth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Franco Columbu

New

Post by Franco Columbu » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:59 pm

In that case, thank you for the helpful advice midnight. I actually regret not applying to both schools, especially now that I realize I have better chances at FSU with my numbers.

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 pm

For those of you who have already been admitted (or have gotten Decision in Transit status), how long did it take to go from "under review by committee" to "decision in transit"? I have been under review since 1/26 (LSAT: 158, 165 GPA: 3.23) and am anxiously waiting to know if I'm a first batch admit or if I'll be held.

Also, I've heard that UF likes to average multiple LSATs for admission purposes. Does anyone know their official stance on this?

melaniec

New

Post by melaniec » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:21 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:For those of you who have already been admitted (or have gotten Decision in Transit status), how long did it take to go from "under review by committee" to "decision in transit"? I have been under review since 1/26 (LSAT: 158, 165 GPA: 3.23) and am anxiously waiting to know if I'm a first batch admit or if I'll be held.

Also, I've heard that UF likes to average multiple LSATs for admission purposes. Does anyone know their official stance on this?
I'm wondering about this too.. I've been under review by committee since january 26th.. sigh.

kommatas

New

Post by kommatas » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:23 pm

ChattTNdt wrote:For those of you who have already been admitted (or have gotten Decision in Transit status), how long did it take to go from "under review by committee" to "decision in transit"? I have been under review since 1/26 (LSAT: 158, 165 GPA: 3.23) and am anxiously waiting to know if I'm a first batch admit or if I'll be held.

I was accepted, it was about 6 weeks from when they received my app to when I received my letter in the mail. ( I applied 2nd week of Oct. and was accepted mid Nov.) Not sure if that helps because I was probably in the first round.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:I applied to McGill, but realistically with my numbers it doesn't seem likely that I'll get in. Their median GPA is 3.7 and if you take the LSAT they're looking for mid 160's. They don't require the LSAT but if you take the exam then you are required to report your score. I took the LSAT so that I could apply to the other Canadian schools.

I've applied to all the English Common Law schools in Canada (15 or so). With my numbers I can probably get into Saskatchewan, Calgary, or Manitoba, and honestly those are not exactly ideal places to study. Also jobs are less and not as high paying as the US. Combine that with the amount of tax you gotta pay, plus shitty weather, and you have a pretty good reason to head to Florida.

The only factor that has kept me considering Canadian schools is tuition. But Florida will cost the same if I manage to get residency for my second and third years.

I really haven't decided yet. But the way I see it, if I'm not getting into the top Canadian schools, then I'd much rather go somewhere that I would enjoy studying and potentially living. Do you see what I mean?
Ok after reasoning it out it sounds like youre right. If you cant get into schools in Ontario or Quebec its probably best to go to USA, you're right. I have the same feeling, if I cant get into top Canadian schools, well at least we can go to the USA where there are many strong regional schools that arent as hard to get into and also give lots of opportunities, like UF.

And thanks for the clarification on McGill I'll have to remember that for later.

GoTribe1

New

Post by GoTribe1 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:36 pm

minuit wrote:
Franco Columbu wrote:
minuit wrote:

I wasn't trying to be rude, I was trying to be helpful. There's a strong possibility that in the next few years FSU could be 51 and UF could be 52; the difference between the two is arbitrary. I don't have an inferiority complex, I'm just speaking the truth.
Even if FSU sneaks past UF in the rankings, it is going to take a while before their rank coincides with the respect and opportunities that are generally associated with the so-called "top dog" status. I work in a firm in So. Fla., and I've yet to speak with an attorney who wouldn't choose UF hands down. Even in state, most people don't realize how comparable the schools are academically--probably because UF is far and away the better university for undergrad.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:44 pm

melaniec wrote:

I'm wondering about this too.. I've been under review by committee since january 26th.. sigh.
Still under review since 12/18 :( pretty sure they are holding me to reject me

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:25 pm

Even if FSU sneaks past UF in the rankings, it is going to take a while before their rank coincides with the respect and opportunities that are generally associated with the so-called "top dog" status. I work in a firm in So. Fla., and I've yet to speak with an attorney who wouldn't choose UF hands down. Even in state, most people don't realize how comparable the schools are academically--probably because UF is far and away the better university for undergrad./quote

I've gotten into both schools (FSU and UF) and I'm leaning towards FSU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:13 am

IN via large envelope yesterday. Auto-admit #'s.

Complete 1/07
UR 1/11
DP 1/14
DIT 2/02
Postmarked 2/04

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:21 am

ram jam wrote:UF has the largest alumni base, and thus, the largest statewide pull. In education FSU is on par, but a UF degree carries more weight when you apply for that first job. Gator Nation... This trend will continue for a while, until FSU pushes itself far past UF in the rankings, if that happens. Both schools offer good opportunities in the long run however. If you go to either school, plan on placing in the top 25% and one should be fine. If you are in state, great, if you are out of state, visit florida first, you will realize that Florida is a suburban and rural state. Ask yourselves this question, can you really live in a place Jacksonville or Orlando for the rest of your life?
You are an idiot. The reason UF's is longer is because the UF Dean of Admissions sat down to to an interview for TLS. Ken has been working on steadily creating expanded profiles for all schools on this site, because UF was more receptive than FSU, theirs is longer first.

Franco Columbu

New

Post by Franco Columbu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:15 pm

SAE wrote:IN via large envelope yesterday. Auto-admit #'s.

Complete 1/07
UR 1/11
DP 1/14
DIT 2/02
Postmarked 2/04
Congrats!

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Cupidity wrote:
You are an idiot. The reason UF's is longer is because the UF Dean of Admissions sat down to to an interview for TLS. Ken has been working on steadily creating expanded profiles for all schools on this site, because UF was more receptive than FSU, theirs is longer first.
Is this the way you plan on starting every argument as a lawyer? Seriously, in my limited experience on these boards you have shown yourself to be one of the most abrasive people on here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
Is this the way you plan on starting every argument as a lawyer? Seriously, in my limited experience on these boards you have shown yourself to be one of the most abrasive people on here.
344 posts is limited experience?? Sorry not to be a gerk jumping in on your argument, but...

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Threepeat wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
344 posts is limited experience?? Sorry not to be a gerk jumping in on your argument, but...
point taken, but I have seen a lot higher. What is a "gerk"? Some type of pickle with a chip on its shoulder?

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:09 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
Threepeat wrote:
isaiah6v8 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
point taken, but I have seen a lot higher. What is a "gerk"? Some type of pickle with a chip on its shoulder?

I'm not good at spelling.

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:17 pm

melaniec wrote:

+2 Under review since 1/22 :?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChattTNdt

Bronze

Post by ChattTNdt » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:25 pm

fcowrx wrote:
melaniec wrote:

+2 Under review since 1/22 :?

Well it sounds like we could be the next batch

Anybody else under review since 1/26 or before?

Midnight Rider

New

Post by Midnight Rider » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Any thoughts on if it is worth the $30 at this point with 75% LSAT but a well below 25% GPA? I have my application in and it is waiting on payment. I see all of this about long waits. Since I'm not auto admit, is there a risk that by the time my app is processed, it will be too late to get in with this type of split stat sheet? I'd love to have a UF option, as it would be one of the better schools in which I'm interested.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:00 pm

I am approaching the two month anniversary of being under review at U of F, and I was wondering, if :
a) this may be like an informal hold
b) they are waiting to reject me (but then would it say "reviewed, decision pending"?)
or
c) if I should call or continue to "patiently" wait?

Thanks

(My numbers are just about at the 25% for both LSAT and GPA, one higher, one lower, and URM status, in case anyone was curious or wants to rip on me, etc.)

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:06 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:Any thoughts on if it is worth the $30 at this point with 75% LSAT but a well below 25% GPA? I have my application in and it is waiting on payment. I see all of this about long waits. Since I'm not auto admit, is there a risk that by the time my app is processed, it will be too late to get in with this type of split stat sheet? I'd love to have a UF option, as it would be one of the better schools in which I'm interested.
I won't tell you to save it outright, because my GPA is way way below, but LSAT is above the 75th, and I do have 7 years of WE, but I have been Decision Pending since 11/30 so I would guess I am a rejection or a waitlist, either one sucks for me at this point. But obviously, if your GPA is above mine, or you have some other softs that might make a difference you shoudl forward with it. Are you sure your application will as part of the Primary applicant pool?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”