University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ShiftyPig

Bronze

Re: University of Florida

Post by ShiftyPig » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:11 pm

So why haven't they sent out any waitlists/rejections?
They quoted a decision timeframe of late March to early April. They don't have to send anything yet.
Sparky wrote:This still doesn't make sense. Cutting the incoming class and faculty won't help them save money. Cutting faculty and not students would save money. Maybe they mean there will be only 3 1L sections instead of 4, but the sections will just be larger?
As I said before.... Firing professors would be the way to cut costs immediately, but that isn't the proper way to do it - the school has to back into things or risk ruining the program.
Last edited by ShiftyPig on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:13 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:
They quoted a decision timeframe of late March to early April. They don't have to send anything yet.
Well my decision was just mailed. I'm a little above the 25% for gpa but above their 75% for lsat with 164. I was just wondering because I was looking at LSN from last years class and they mailed all decisions at the same time while this year only acceptances have been mailed so far. I just thought that was a little peculiar.

waker57

New

Post by waker57 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Axis wrote:I think state schools are usually mandated to accept a certain proportion of in-state to out of state, like 70-30. So I think being out of state still puts you at a disadvantage, even it cost you 2.5x as much to attend.

As for the source of the less available seats, I was talking to some current law students who mentioned there were only going to be 3 1L sections versus 4 in previous years. I don't know how reliable this is though.
There is some truth to this. On my tour I was told the class size is going to be around 300 rather than the recent class sizes of 400, not sure if it will be 4 x 75 or 3 x 100 though.

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:19 pm

geoanthem wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:
Well my decision was just mailed. I'm a little above the 25% for gpa but above their 75% for lsat with 164. I was just wondering because I was looking at LSN from last years class and they mailed all decisions at the same time while this year only acceptances have been mailed so far. I just thought that was a little peculiar.
It is, but they are still accepting applications. I would assume that they don't want to reject people with the expectation of quality applicants coming in the event that those never arrive.

Also, if they are in fact changing the composition of the incoming class, it would probably be best to not make negative decisions early as they can see how people like you respond to their acceptances.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Ok, so here's some info that I know about UF as I started UG as an out state student before getting residency. At least for undergrad, the state mandates that there can only be 5% max of the student population that is out of state. As such, the school usually operates at 4% just to stay in margin. Now, I don't know if this translates to the Law School but I would imagine that there is at least something CLOSE to this kind of percentage breakdown going on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:26 pm

gogators wrote:Ok, so here's some info that I know about UF as I started UG as an out state student before getting residency. At least for undergrad, the state mandates that there can only be 5% max of the student population that is out of state. As such, the school usually operates at 4% just to stay in margin. Now, I don't know if this translates to the Law School but I would imagine that there is at least something CLOSE to this kind of percentage breakdown going on.

So if everyone switches to instate the next year, that means approx 20% of freshmen can come from out of state? Sounds about right for most schools. Although I believe Dean Pless stated for his school they have no mandated numbers, he can accept whoever he wants.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:29 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
gogators wrote:Ok, so here's some info that I know about UF as I started UG as an out state student before getting residency. At least for undergrad, the state mandates that there can only be 5% max of the student population that is out of state. As such, the school usually operates at 4% just to stay in margin. Now, I don't know if this translates to the Law School but I would imagine that there is at least something CLOSE to this kind of percentage breakdown going on.
So if everyone switches to instate the next year, that means approx 20% of freshmen can come from out of state? Sounds about right for most schools. Although I believe Dean Pless stated for his school they have no mandated numbers, he can accept whoever he wants.
No, if I remember correctly, the total student population cannot exceed 5% out of state for UG. I could be wrong about that, its been awhile since I was told this by the UG admissions officer, but I believe its right.
Last edited by gogators on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:29 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:

I don't think the LS is anywhere close to those numbers. I know some people from my UG that went to UF law from out of state.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:31 pm

geoanthem wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

I don't think the LS is anywhere close to those numbers. I know some people from my UG that went to UF law from out of state.
TITCR-from the UF Law FAQ: --LinkRemoved--
Q. How many UF Law students admitted each year are state residents and how many are non-Florida residents?
A. Students qualifying as state residents make up about 80 percent of an entering class, though UF Law does not have a cap on out-of-state students. Of those who enter as non-residents, the vast majority will gain residency status after the first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:46 pm

geoanthem wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

TITCR-from the UF Law FAQ: --LinkRemoved--
Q. How many UF Law students admitted each year are state residents and how many are non-Florida residents?
A. Students qualifying as state residents make up about 80 percent of an entering class, though UF Law does not have a cap on out-of-state students. Of those who enter as non-residents, the vast majority will gain residency status after the first year.
damn, i wonder if you can gain residency like that for FSU too. that makes UF/FSU even MORE appealing than miami, since miami is private and will keep that rate for everyone and all

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:47 pm

As a note for any person trying to come to UF as an out of stater, I was one of those who did so and was able to gain residency after a couple of years. I just want to relate some of the information that I gathered about the whole process.

1. Residency is by no stretch of the imagination a guaranteed thing. There is one guy who is in charge of the whole thing, and he gets VERY PISSED at the UF law school for leading people onto thinking its easy. He told me like 3 stories of law school kids who just showed up with a form thinking they could be in and out and they'd get the in state rate.

2. You need to show and provide as many forms and paperwork you possibly can to show that you're going to stay in the state of Florida after graduation because that's basically the main reason they'll consider changing you to instate. Get the drivers license, registration, voters registration, library card, etc. Also, the MOST important thing you NEED to do is fill out a Change of Domicile Form and have it notarized the second you get an address in Florida. This is the main form that needs to be done at least a year before the deadline to change residency.

3. You really should meet with the guy in charge just so that he can put a name to the face. If you sit with him, tell a few stories, let him lecture you for awhile, you'll be good (assuming you put together a good residency application).

If you do all of these things, you'll probably get the residency, but its not guaranteed. I had a friend do WAY more than all of this but wasn't able to get residency for an extra year for no good reason. SO do yourself a favor if you're planning on becoming instate, and find every way imaginable to show you're staying in the state of Florida for good.

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:08 pm

The above point is very valid - I would assume that with current budgets it will just get more difficult.

I have lived in FL since 1991, have a car that is registered with the title and insurance in my name since 2005, been a registered voter since 2001, and have had a FL license since the day after my 16th birthday, and I STILL received a letter from UF asking me to explain my whereabouts for the past three years.

Turns out... on my application, I listed my self-employed job first and my other job second - managing very high profile events for a very high profile cable network. Anybody with half a brain could have looked at the application and known where these events took place and for how long, but because I listed "Various" on the location line, I had to call and explain to a supervisor that I could send tax returns and all sorts of documentation but there was no further explanation for where I was.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:17 pm

AHHHHHHHH

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

green918

New

Post by green918 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:24 pm

Anyone going to ASD next Friday?
This will be my first one and I'm imagining something along the lines of a 5 hours sales pitch...

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:27 pm

green918 wrote:Anyone going to ASD next Friday?
This will be my first one and I'm imagining something along the lines of a 5 hours sales pitch...
Maybe I would make some plans if my decision in transit is an acceptance... Otherwise you will have to give me the play-by-play

afx

New

Post by afx » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Aghhhh... I hate my "Decision pending" status.

Anyone in the same boat as me? Are we screwed...?

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:31 pm

afx wrote:Aghhhh... I hate my "Decision pending" status.

Anyone in the same boat as me? Are we screwed...?
I don't know. Maybe its more like a hold. I went straight from "All Required Documents Received" to "Decision Letter in Transit." Good luck, I hope you're accepted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:17 pm

green918 wrote:Anyone going to ASD next Friday?
Hmm...I didn't know that's when it was. I might go, just to see what it's like when I go to another one. We'll see. Is anybody else here planning on going?

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:02 pm

FYI, i'm one of the people who's status changed to In Transit the other day, and I live in Gainesville, and I still haven't gotten the letter yet, so don't hold your breath waiting for it.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:06 pm

gogators wrote:FYI, i'm one of the people who's status changed to In Transit the other day, and I live in Gainesville, and I still haven't gotten the letter yet, so don't hold your breath waiting for it.
I live a few blocks away and it took several days to get to me. It seems like the people who live in Gainesville end up waiting longer.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:25 pm

green918 wrote:
gogators wrote:FYI, i'm one of the people who's status changed to In Transit the other day, and I live in Gainesville, and I still haven't gotten the letter yet, so don't hold your breath waiting for it.
I live a few blocks away and it took several days to get to me. It seems like the people who live in Gainesville end up waiting longer.
Boo, I'm heading down to Atlanta tomorrow to see my girlfriend and I'd really like to have the letter before then. Mail still hasn't come today.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Got my mail. Had a big packet so was excited. It turned out to be an accepted student packet from Maryland (got in last week).

ShiftyPig

Bronze

Post by ShiftyPig » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 pm

geoanthem wrote:Got my mail. Had a big packet so was excited. It turned out to be an accepted student packet from Maryland (got in last week).

Bummer. Knowing that something is supposedly on its way is sometimes more frustrating than All Required Documents Received.

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:44 pm

UF finally requested my LSDAS report, a month late, but thats okay. Its okay Florida. I still like you, if you still like me.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:54 pm

ShiftyPig wrote:
geoanthem wrote:Got my mail. Had a big packet so was excited. It turned out to be an accepted student packet from Maryland (got in last week).

Bummer. Knowing that something is supposedly on its way is sometimes more frustrating than All Required Documents Received.
Haha, my thoughts exactly. I mean Maryland seems like a great place, but why can't they send everything in one packet?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”