University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
apere054

New

Re: University of Florida

Post by apere054 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:06 pm

In regards to the budget cuts do you think it's still better to go to UF than to go to UM which is a private school?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Fo' shizzle. All that matters is employment, and UF dominates UM in this area.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:54 pm

apere054 wrote:In regards to the budget cuts do you think it's still better to go to UF than to go to UM which is a private school?
I'd have to agree. Especially if you're looking to stay in Florida or the southeast for that matter. I talked to some admins at the law school not too long ago, and they expressed to me that in the end, the law schools budget will not take a hit as they've invested too much money in the past couple of years (renovated much of the school and are currently building an additional building adjacent) to let it go down. If you can get in state tuition now or after a year or so, go to UF over UM and never look back.

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Yeah I got into Miami recently with a scholarship. I just went complete at Florida, filled out the forms and paid the app fee. I am from out of state so will my 164/3.43 be good enough for admission and possibly a scholarship? Thanks

Axis

New

Post by Axis » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:21 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:I am in my last semester of undergrad at UF. Applied to the law school, though I must be honest, it is not one of my top choices.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

green918

New

Post by green918 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:38 pm

Axis wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:I am in my last semester of undergrad at UF. Applied to the law school, though I must be honest, it is not one of my top choices.
+1
agreed

jpitch455

New

Post by jpitch455 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:21 pm

Anyone hear about any scholarship money offered yet? I know they have said that they will send it out between Jan. and March.

Have they been historically stingy/generous in their scholarship offerings?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:28 pm

very stingy.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Lets see, they're about to face a 75 million dollar budget shortfall at a public university, something tells me you shouldnt count on much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Seriously, Gainesville sucks massive dick. And it's not up for discussion, so I don't want to hear any bullshit about their NCAA championships or very average academic programs.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 pm

alirod12 wrote:Seriously, Gainesville sucks massive dick. And it's not up for discussion, so I don't want to hear any bullshit about their NCAA championships or very average academic programs.
Well that's that then, no more research necessary. I didn't know much about U of F or Gainesville but it appears I've learned all I need to.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:00 pm

alirod12 wrote:Seriously, Gainesville sucks massive dick. And it's not up for discussion, so I don't want to hear any bullshit about their NCAA championships or very average academic programs.
I smell a Florida reject (aka FSU Grad)

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 pm

UF-Levin tries hard, especially via their brochures, to sell themselves as a serious academic institution, but actual students will tell you it's all a load of croc. While most if not all T14 schools provide 24-hour access to law libraries, UF's closes on gameday. WTF is up with that?!?! Still, it's the most prestigious school in the state of FL and anyone who does well at UF will probably do pretty well finding employment in FL and in the Southeast in general.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:07 pm

gogators wrote:
I smell a Florida reject (aka FSU Grad)
U of F under the profile.

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:07 pm

No no no my friends...I grudgingly slogged through 3 easy years in Gainesville and thought it was a sad town with an impersonal college experience (I am a Warrington grad). So no Florida reject here. And I wouldn't go to FSU if they gave me 10 German Shepherds and an M5. Joking aside, Florida is the best school in the state, but leaves a lot to be desired overall. Unless popped collars, chinos, and keg stands are your thing, in which case don't even consider going anywhere else.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:08 pm

marqban wrote: While most if not all T14 schools provide 24-hour access to law libraries, UF's closes on gameday. WTF is up with that?!?!
Difference between you and me, I think that's AWESOME. Yet I still won't be returning to Gville in the Fall.

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:13 pm

gogators wrote:
marqban wrote: While most if not all T14 schools provide 24-hour access to law libraries, UF's closes on gameday. WTF is up with that?!?!
Difference between you and me, I think that's AWESOME. Yet I still won't be returning to Gville in the Fall.
I haven't missed one down of Florida football in years, and yet while I was a law student there I thought it was bullshit that the library was closed. I heard this complaint constantly. Seriously, all you need is one security dude at the front who turns away people carrying coors light bottles.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:47 am

So they emailed me about a question on my application. I emailed back with a response and an attachment. They emailed back....we don't accept emails, only faxes or through the mail. Looks like I'll be sending out another letter. :evil:

jasand1

New

Post by jasand1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:00 pm

WRONG. Gainesville is what you make of it. Its a standard college town that stands behind and revolves around the university. Just because you had a shitty experience here does not mean everyone else will.

alirod12

Bronze

Post by alirod12 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Unless you are choosing Gainesville over another equally hurting Florida school (FSU), then Florida isn't a solid choice. To be fair, it is what you make of it, but there isn't much to make anything of, except for the free tuition for anyone with a pulse. Speaking in terms of the town and the undergrad experience, the smartest thing to do is get in and get out as fast as is humanly possible. However I could be responding to a testosterone riddled frat boy who bleeds orange and blue, in which case this reply is a waste of time.

Goooooo Gators!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:08 pm

While their law school is excellent, I remember Mike and the Mad Dog (WFAN 660) constantly joking that a house plant could be admitted to UF's undergrad program.

Funny.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:26 pm

this thread has made me seriously reconsider UF

mattyboy7we

New

Post by mattyboy7we » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:31 pm

alirod12 wrote:Unless you are choosing Gainesville over another equally hurting Florida school (FSU), then Florida isn't a solid choice. To be fair, it is what you make of it, but there isn't much to make anything of, except for the free tuition for anyone with a pulse. Speaking in terms of the town and the undergrad experience, the smartest thing to do is get in and get out as fast as is humanly possible. However I could be responding to a testosterone riddled frat boy who bleeds orange and blue, in which case this reply is a waste of time.

Goooooo Gators!
I go to UF also, however it looks like you just didn't go out much/ make friends. I can honestly say it was the best four years of my life that went by TOO FAST. It isn't a bad school and the fact that I can go for free makes that much better. So if you consider winning 4 national championships, having one of the best night life/ club/ bar scenes for a college town, and a good education not "much to make anything of" then you wasted your undergrad.

I'm not trying to be mean but I hate when people talk down about UF....

Axis

New

Post by Axis » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:46 pm

$10,000 resident tuition vs $25,000 out of state tuition anywhere else... even if you are tired of Gainesville and think the law school is lackluster, you can't argue with that.

jasand1

New

Post by jasand1 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:49 pm

midrangejumper wrote:this thread has made me seriously reconsider UF
you shouldn't reconsider UF because a few people did not have amazing experiences dealing with the school, many of the best law schools have terrible and difficult admissions offices. there are many people who love UF and are extremely happy to have attended or be accepted into UF Law.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”