University of Florida Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
midrangejumper

Bronze

Re: University of Florida

Post by midrangejumper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:41 pm

afx wrote:
hannah wrote:I was under 'decision pending' for a couple of weeks and got my decision today.

I will be withdrawing soon so don't worry.. extra slot coming everyone's way.
Your status was "Reviewed by Committee; Decision Pending" and got an acceptance?

Wow, this gives me hope. Everyone here is saying that status means a waitlist.

awesome news if true!!!

hil713

New

Post by hil713 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:45 pm

My status checker went to decision letter in transit or something like that and then I got an acceptance! So don't worry...at least for UF just because it doesn't say "congratulations" doesn't mean you didn't get in!

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:51 pm

hil713 wrote:My status checker went to decision letter in transit or something like that and then I got an acceptance! So don't worry...at least for UF just because it doesn't say "congratulations" doesn't mean you didn't get in!

lol thanks but we know that "decision in transit" = acceptance

we're trying to figure out now if you get "decision pending" does that = WL or is there hope!

congrats again on getting in!

green918

New

Post by green918 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:33 pm

bananas131 wrote:
gogators wrote:Is anyone going to ASD next friday? I live in Gville so i'm going to see what its like and get a feel for questions I want to ask at other schools too.
I live in Gville too. I was looking forward to getting a free lunch at the ASD :x ...damn budget cuts.
My thoughts exactly. They could have at least lured the Krishnas over to sell us some cheap lunch.
Are you guys going to ASD planning on going to the President's dinner afterward? I got the email the other day
and wasn't sure if it was something people from ASD actually go to.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:49 pm

green918 wrote:
bananas131 wrote:
gogators wrote:Is anyone going to ASD next friday? I live in Gville so i'm going to see what its like and get a feel for questions I want to ask at other schools too.
I live in Gville too. I was looking forward to getting a free lunch at the ASD :x ...damn budget cuts.
My thoughts exactly. They could have at least lured the Krishnas over to sell us some cheap lunch.
Are you guys going to ASD planning on going to the President's dinner afterward? I got the email the other day
Don't know anything about it....I'll be heading to Happy Hour afterward anyways

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bananas131

New

Post by bananas131 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:48 pm

green918 wrote:
bananas131 wrote:
Hm. The Krishnas are actually my neighbors. I'll see if I can work something out...

and I didn't hear anything about a dinner.

hannah

New

Post by hannah » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:58 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
afx wrote:
hannah wrote:I was under 'decision pending' for a couple of weeks and got my decision today.

Your status was "Reviewed by Committee; Decision Pending" and got an acceptance?

awesome news if true!!!
yeah, it's definitely true. I was "reviewed by committee; decision pending" from 1/22 until 2/10.. And I was in review from 12/16 until 1/22.. I was getting sort of annoyed, really.

Do they reject right in the status checker? I don't see why people think 'decision in transit' always means in.. hmm.

Anyway, don't lose hope!

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:33 pm

hannah wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:
afx wrote:

awesome news if true!!!
yeah, it's definitely true. I was "reviewed by committee; decision pending" from 1/22 until 2/10.. And I was in review from 12/16 until 1/22.. I was getting sort of annoyed, really.

Do they reject right in the status checker? I don't see why people think 'decision in transit' always means in.. hmm.

Anyway, don't lose hope!

it doesn't always mean "in" i guess, but everyone on here that's gotten that has been accepted

afx

New

Post by afx » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:39 pm

hannah wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:
afx wrote:

awesome news if true!!!

Anyway, don't lose hope!
Great news for us 'decision pending' people. I'm guessing you haven't gotten your letter though? Everyone who has gotten a letter thus far has been in so you are probably gravy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carine44

New

Post by carine44 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:13 am

If these allegations are true, I would be considerably less interested in attending UF:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2428102059

green918

New

Post by green918 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:40 am

carine44 wrote:If these allegations are true, I would be considerably less interested in attending UF:
Sadly, I wasn't that shocked to see this in the paper. There are also lawsuits pending in the liberal arts and sciences department at UF by professors who were recently laid off. Almost all of them were women of color.
Obviously, the law school is a separate entity, but Bernie Machen (The president of UF) has been endorsing plans to "diversify" the faculty and student body since he got to UF, so it doesn't look so good when people start filing lawsuits.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:02 pm

carine44 wrote:If these allegations are true, I would be considerably less interested in attending UF:
One more spot for me. It is hard for me to envision a professor "slamming" her against a white board, let alone a student threatening a professor. Why would a student care that she had filed a complaint and how would they know she had filed one?

Granted all of the above could have happened, but when I see the race or sex card played I wait until all the facts are on the table before I make up my mind. Everything in that article was extremely one sided and could have been taken out of context. Maybe the professor slammed her against the white board, only she left out the fact they were in the middle of sex.....

carine44

New

Post by carine44 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:40 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
One more spot for me. It is hard for me to envision a professor "slamming" her against a white board, let alone a student threatening a professor. Why would a student care that she had filed a complaint and how would they know she had filed one?

Granted all of the above could have happened, but when I see the race or sex card played I wait until all the facts are on the table before I make up my mind. Everything in that article was extremely one sided and could have been taken out of context. Maybe the professor slammed her against the white board, only she left out the fact they were in the middle of sex.....
I did not say my mind was made up - I thought the information could be of interest to anyone considering the school. No one is saying it's the entire story, but for someone unfamiliar with UF who is concerned about encountering racism or sexism, it's worth noting and possibly researching further.

And as for context, Green's comments above suggest that racism/sexism could in fact be pervasive at UF; while in no way does that corroborate this professor's particular charges, it is again useful information for those of us that consider such an environment a deal breaker.

I'm not even touching your speculation about the circumstances surrounding the case.

EDIT: I have only been checking in on this particular UF thread, so it was my first thought in wanting to share the information. I apologize if anyone feels it's off topic - after all this is the acceptances, denials, and waitlists board so perhaps it wasn't quite suitable. Carry on!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 pm

carine44 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

I did not say my mind was made up - I thought the information could be of interest to anyone considering the school. No one is saying it's the entire story, but for someone unfamiliar with UF who is concerned about encountering racism or sexism, it's worth noting and possibly researching further.

And as for context, Green's comments above suggest that racism/sexism could in fact be pervasive at UF; while in no way does that corroborate this professor's particular charges, it is again useful information for those of us that consider such an environment a deal breaker.

I'm not even touching your speculation about the circumstances surrounding the case.

EDIT: I have only been checking in on this particular UF thread, so it was my first thought in wanting to share the information. I apologize if anyone feels it's off topic - after all this is the acceptances, denials, and waitlists board so perhaps it wasn't quite suitable. Carry on!
No worries, I think this is definitely the spot to discuss anything pertinent about UF. However UF could tell me they hated white male veterans from NC and I would still attend, provided I can pay out of state for 2l and 3l, I'm cheap.

VAGATOR

New

Post by VAGATOR » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:08 pm

People throw all types of accusations during law suits. More often than not, I have a hard time believing liberal universities are hotbeds of prevalent and overt racism. I'm more concerned about how UF Law seems to take its sweet time in regards to getting their decisions out. I just went to under review by committee after almost a month and a half being complete.

rch0013

New

Post by rch0013 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:10 pm

I'll be going to ASD next Friday. If anyone has any questions or requests, let me know.

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:15 pm

rch0013 wrote:I'll be going to ASD next Friday. If anyone has any questions or requests, let me know.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:36 pm

VAGATOR wrote:People throw all types of accusations during law suits. More often than not, I have a hard time believing liberal universities are hotbeds of prevalent and overt racism. I'm more concerned about how UF Law seems to take its sweet time in regards to getting their decisions out. I just went to under review by committee after almost a month and a half being complete.
Your not applying to UNC are you :) That is a slow school, but I would drop any tuition deposit I had in for them.

dslslave

New

Post by dslslave » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:05 pm

Hey all,

I've been lurking the forums for a while and finally decided to register.

My stats are 3.8 undergrad at UF political science, 155 LSAT. Really wishing I retook it but couldn't fathom doing all that preparation again.

Got 3 great letters of recommendation, good awards and consistent good grades. Not a minority but I am a first generation American.

Submitted app on 12/31 and current status is "All required docs received" for a few weeks now, getting more worried each day! Thanks in advance..

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:06 pm

in reference to the article posted, i guess this is what pksebben (a mod on tls who transferred out of uf and went to umich because of "racial tension") was talking about!

Lod732

New

Post by Lod732 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:54 pm

Got my letter today, got in with a 3.65/163 non-urm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:00 pm

In via snail.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:12 pm

For those of you accepted today, were you ever "decision pending"
?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:15 pm

atlantalaw wrote:in reference to the article posted, i guess this is what pksebben (a mod on tls who transferred out of uf and went to umich because of "racial tension") was talking about!
to be fair, I didn't transfer out due to racial tension, but only acknowledged that I thought that there was a) palatable tension on the faculty on the subject of race and b) I thought the student body was fairly homogeneous for a pretty diverse state. That goes beyond race in my view. Hope that helps.

When solicited for my views for the UF profile, I added inter alia that "[t]his is a touchy subject and just my own personal view. Write about this at your own risk. This school lacks actual diversity. There is significant racial tension in the faculty as the old-bird professors retire out and are being replaced with white dudes. This received mention in the NY Times and even in prominant academic journals. (See generally The Derailing of Black Faculty at the University of Florida Law School - The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, No. 32 (Summer, 2001), pp. 41-43).

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9669C8B63
"

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:30 pm

my apologies, pksebben. i got the impression that is why you transferred.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”