In at Miami! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Eliza

New

Re: In at Miami!

Post by Eliza » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:03 pm

grobbelski wrote:
rambo de leon wrote:
grobbelski wrote:I am totally effed.
why's that?

I applied to 6 schools, ranging from top 50 to TTT. I was waitlisted at all of them (Miami being one of these schools).These over-acceptance emails from asst. Dean Goodnight requesting deferrals make me think it is unlikely that I will be getting off the waitlist. I want to think I will be getting admitted somewhere but as of now the situation is not looking as good as I would like. Hence, effed.
Unfortunately I am afraid that this is a reality--that they took too many people that they have to ask for deferrals...that not good--I don't think they will take any waitlist.

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Yeah I'm not feeling good about this either. Time to start looking for jobs for 09-10 and applying early unless Villanova comes through.

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:20 am

SpencerPratt wrote:When's the next deposit due? I'm trying to figure out when there may be some WL movement...
I don't think it's until June...

About the class being full: I got an email from Wake saying the same thing (expect little movement off the waitlist) and that's the word on the street with UNC. My thought is - how can that be the case at every school?? Isn't it widely agreed that applications went up this year, but not necessarily the number of applicants?

I think people are paying deposits at multiple schools. With Miami being as pricey as it is, I think people will drop off at the second seat deposit. Don't give up hope!!!

ron1321

New

Post by ron1321 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:11 am

anybody else having second thoughts about moving to Miami?

rambo de leon

New

Post by rambo de leon » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:43 am

i was but now am looking forward to 3 years near the ocean. why you having second thoughts about living in miami?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ron1321

New

Post by ron1321 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:01 am

rambo de leon wrote:i was but now am looking forward to 3 years near the ocean. why you having second thoughts about living in miami?
I'm worried about living in Miami longer than 3 years if i get "stuck" there, the culture shock and the "see and be seen" crowds (moving from the "south"), not speaking spanish, the crime, hurricanes...just not like living there in general...any current/past Miami residents care to ease/add to my worries?

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:08 am

ron1321 wrote:
rambo de leon wrote:i was but now am looking forward to 3 years near the ocean. why you having second thoughts about living in miami?
I'm worried about living in Miami longer than 3 years if i get "stuck" there, the culture shock and the "see and be seen" crowds (moving from the "south"), not speaking spanish, the crime, hurricanes...just not like living there in general...any current/past Miami residents care to ease/add to my worries?
My whole family except for me went to Miami Undergrad (mom, dad, sister, and my brother is starting next year). We have a condo on south beach and a lot of family down there (grandparents and sister live down there). I don't speak a lick of spanish and neither does anyone in my family and we get by just fine. Yes it may be helpful in some cases, but its not as bad as you think.

As far as the "see and be seen" crowds, thats really only relegated to South Beach, and can easily be avoided if you aren't in to that type of scene. UMiami is in Coral Gables which is removed from South Beach and very suburban. You can always go out in Coconut grove or downtown Miami if you want to avoid the beach. However there are a lot of cool bars that aren't ultra-exclusive on the beach. The Playwright is a really cool Irish Pub on the beach.

In terms of Hurricanes, they are something you will have to deal with, but normally aren't that bad. Its a really enjoyable place if you look past just South Beach. Let me know if you have any other questions. I hope this helps.

tarheels19

New

Post by tarheels19 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:40 pm

for all the people on the WL we are officially efff'd, feel free to PM me for details... was told today it would literally be a miracle if they got to their WL and will be pulling people off of it shortly...

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 03, 2009 11:16 pm

My friends...

I was admitted, paid a deposit... and am now withdrawing. So I hope I help at least one person on the waitlist out here :D It's a really great school and I am a fan (visited it not too long ago), but I'll be going elsewhere now. Good luck to all of you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mortalnato

New

Post by Mortalnato » Sun May 03, 2009 11:29 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:My friends...

I was admitted, paid a deposit... and am now withdrawing. So I hope I help at least one person on the waitlist out here :D It's a really great school and I am a fan (visited it not too long ago), but I'll be going elsewhere now. Good luck to all of you!
I paid the deposit and withdrew last week. Good luck guys!

screamandyell

New

Post by screamandyell » Sun May 10, 2009 1:50 pm

I'm in as well.
on WL for Davis and USD but there is a chance i'll be meeting you gyus in August :)
anyone looking for a roommate? :)

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Fri May 15, 2009 2:47 am

Add me to the list of paid the deposit but changed my mind. I really do hope it gets one of you off the WL. Its a beatuiful campus and I loved the way the law school was set up.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Thu May 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Anyone know when the second deposit deadline is, and how much it is?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Thu May 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Miami doesn't have a 2nd Deposit deadline. The first one of $300 is quite a bit more than most schools. All they do is give you less and less of a refund the longer you hold out. I got the $200 refund since I withdrew earlier. It is currently at the $150 refund point and will soon move to a $100 refund in a few weeks. Til the day classes start it is a $50 refund. Hope that helps. Peace.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Thu May 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info.

Eliza

New

Post by Eliza » Wed May 27, 2009 10:10 pm

so i heard miami is way over deposited---are they going to release people from the waitlist...?

does anyone know the likelhood they will tap into the waitlist---or if they have already...?

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:25 pm

Someone posted earlier that they were told by an admin that it would be a "miracle" if they got to accept anyone off of the waiting list this year. Things may have changed, but you'll probably need to ask the admissions department. Good luck!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tarheels19

New

Post by tarheels19 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:24 pm

that was me who posted it.. miami is severely overdesposited and have not went to the WL since the deposits were due.. i would be shocked if there is any significant WL movement especially before the end of June... that being said, I am still staying on the WL and keeping my fingers crossed

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:17 am

tarheels19 wrote:that was me who posted it.. miami is severely overdesposited and have not went to the WL since the deposits were due.. i would be shocked if there is any significant WL movement especially before the end of June... that being said, I am still staying on the WL and keeping my fingers crossed
Hope you make it. Good luck!

tknlacrosse

New

Post by tknlacrosse » Fri May 29, 2009 11:56 am

On my tour a couple weeks ago they said they may have a class of 450-500 instead of 400 because of the response.

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Fri May 29, 2009 12:00 pm

tknlacrosse wrote:On my tour a couple weeks ago they said they may have a class of 450-500 instead of 400 because of the response.
...and the student-faculty ratio goes back down the tubes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

eddieg803

New

Post by eddieg803 » Sat May 30, 2009 12:29 am

nightlight wrote:
tknlacrosse wrote:On my tour a couple weeks ago they said they may have a class of 450-500 instead of 400 because of the response.
...and they drop in the rankings.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Sat May 30, 2009 3:52 am

eddieg803 wrote:
nightlight wrote:
Luckily, UM will be hiring 12 new faculty members over the next few years.

Marko Ramius

New

Post by Marko Ramius » Sat May 30, 2009 3:56 am

eddieg803 wrote:
nightlight wrote:
So, how do you feel about this, Donna?

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Sun May 31, 2009 9:23 am

Did anyone else receive an email a few weeks ago, telling them to reapply for next term? I got in around March 15th. Anyone else?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”