In at Miami! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Eliza

New

Re: In at Miami!

Post by Eliza » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:56 pm

SpencerPratt wrote:
Eliza wrote:so i went to miami's website and went to the ask um section and read how to get a status checker--so i contacted the individual who provides the status checker and she responded back via email

"your file is in review....you will hear from us soon"

and i don't know what to make of this....it makes me nervous becuase she didn't give me a status checker--i may be reading too much into this but....what do you think?

unless thats what they meant by status check...
https://caneid.miami.edu/cas/login?serv ... dcheck.asp

Go there and you can create an account yourself.
Thanks!

when I reply with a "thank you" to the admissions for my email status check--should i express my strong desire (miami is my #1 choice) to go to their school...? and if so how?--how strong of language?

bigred87

New

Post by bigred87 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:37 am

redskinsgibbs wrote:So is Miami a clown school? Has there anyone who has ever been rejected? This is getting scary. And will i get any money? Who could pay 36 thousand a year without room and board? Thats basically telling you we accepted you to reject you.

I hope i get into Cardozo , Wisconson or another schoolif Miami gives me no money.
I'm getting scared that Miami may be a "clown school".

It just seems kinda scary that they have a very high acceptance rate, and for many people, respond extremely quickly with an acceptance, almost as if there was no review. Which is weird, because all of the other schools I applied to, from the top the bottom, there was a considerable time between application complete and response. I still haven't heard from a school or two where I'm under review.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:10 am

Miami is more reputable, but the more I look at it, the more I see they have a similar M.O. as Florida Coastal as far as the way they do business....withdrawing this week

jackrabbitjones

New

Post by jackrabbitjones » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck everyone.

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Withdrawing today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SpencerPratt

Bronze

Post by SpencerPratt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:38 pm

keep the withdrawals coming :D

wildcats12

New

Post by wildcats12 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 am

anybody on the housing chat last nite? what did they say?

Chanelgirl

New

Post by Chanelgirl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:30 pm

The housing chat was pretty laid back, it was moving very quickly, we got a general idea of where students live, car situation, people were exchanging e-mails to share housing. PM me if you have more questions.

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Withdrew today after I found out that somebody from Pitt, who got WL'd, got a $65k scholly from Miami. And I got a $14k scholly from Pitt.

WTF, Miami?? I guess there's enough tan people down there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mdd05d

New

Post by mdd05d » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 pm

paulmar wrote: WTF, Miami?? I guess there's enough tan people down there.
SO, you don't really like the thought of being treated different for admissions purposes based on your ethnicity, huh? Wow, there's a novel concept..

Hook 'Em

Bronze

Post by Hook 'Em » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Rejected at Miami. 2.3 169 AA Male. All splitters interested in Miami should definitely apply early (I applied 2/16).

Oh yeah, GO NOLES!

EDIT: Good luck to everyone still on hold.

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:41 pm

mdd05d wrote:
paulmar wrote: WTF, Miami?? I guess there's enough tan people down there.
SO, you don't really like the thought of being treated different for admissions purposes based on your ethnicity, huh? Wow, there's a novel concept..
WTH are you talking about?

jwkempf

New

Post by jwkempf » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:48 pm

wildcats12 wrote:anybody on the housing chat last nite? what did they say?
I have the whole transcript pasted into a word doc...pm me with your email address if you want it (it's about 40 pages).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eliza

New

Post by Eliza » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:21 am

Hook 'Em wrote:Rejected at Miami. 2.3 169 AA Male. All splitters interested in Miami should definitely apply early (I applied 2/16).

Oh yeah, GO NOLES!

Just curious if you were on hold befor being rejected? Also when and how did they reject you--snail mail or via email...?

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:24 am

Hook 'Em wrote:Rejected at Miami. 2.3 169 AA Male. All splitters interested in Miami should definitely apply early (I applied 2/16).

Oh yeah, GO NOLES!

I'm absolutely shocked...seriously.

redskinsgibbs

New

Post by redskinsgibbs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Miami is giving me the creeps a bit. The way they accepted me in 1 month flat scares me. Where was the review. I was on hold for two days lol

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:35 pm

redskinsgibbs wrote:Miami is giving me the creeps a bit. The way they accepted me in 1 month flat scares me. Where was the review. I was on hold for two days lol
10 days for me buddy! But I got no scholly so a big W for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:36 pm

redskinsgibbs wrote:Miami is giving me the creeps a bit. The way they accepted me in 1 month flat scares me. Where was the review. I was on hold for two days lol

but if you think about it though, how long should it REALLY take to review an app?

honestly if anything it's more BS that it takes forever...most schools sit on their asses like crazy on apps that shouldn't take such a long time find out whats going on

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:38 pm

midrangejumper wrote:

but if you think about it though, how long should it REALLY take to review an app?

honestly if anything it's more BS that it takes forever...most schools sit on their asses like crazy on apps that shouldn't take such a long time find out whats going on
One word: Bureaucracy.

redskinsgibbs

New

Post by redskinsgibbs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:54 pm

paulmar wrote:
i got no scholly either. I filed the fasfa. I am not sure how it works. Do they give you the offer later? No one could afford 170 k over 3 years unless they are from money.

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:00 pm

redskinsgibbs wrote:
paulmar wrote:
i got no scholly either. I filed the fasfa. I am not sure how it works. Do they give you the offer later? No one could afford 170 k over 3 years unless they are from money.
They sent me an email w/Fin aid info last week. I think it totaled around $41k. And yeah, I don't understand this. I'm guessing it means I have to go to, say, Sallie Mae and get an private loan to compensate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

redskinsgibbs

New

Post by redskinsgibbs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:22 pm

paulmar wrote:
redskinsgibbs wrote:
paulmar wrote:
They sent me an email w/Fin aid info last week. I think it totaled around $41k. And yeah, I don't understand this. I'm guessing it means I have to go to, say, Sallie Mae and get an private loan to compensate.

Is it worth it? Could you go to Miami law and go into big law in Miami right away? I am still a little lost on Miami. I am not sure if it underrated or garbage.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:27 pm

[quote="redskinsgibbs"[/quote]

Is it worth it? Could you go to Miami law and go into big law in Miami right away? I am still a little lost on Miami. I am not sure if it underrated or garbage.[/quote]

they almost beat UF in biglaw due to their location so yes i think it's possible (assuming you are top 10% and all that stuff)

paulmar

New

Post by paulmar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:28 pm

redskinsgibbs wrote:

Is it worth it? Could you go to Miami law and go into big law in Miami right away? I am still a little lost on Miami. I am not sure if it underrated or garbage.
It rules the South Fl market. I went down to visit before my vacation, and I spoke with a prominent real estate attorney (friend of a friend). While she went to UF, she says that Miami grads do extremely well around the area. They are very well respected and have many job options. That said, it's pretty limited to South Fl, from what I understand.

redskinsgibbs

New

Post by redskinsgibbs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:31 pm

midrangejumper wrote:[quote="redskinsgibbs"

Is it worth it? Could you go to Miami law and go into big law in Miami right away? I am still a little lost on Miami. I am not sure if it underrated or garbage.[/quote]

they almost beat UF in biglaw due to their location so yes i think it's possible (assuming you are top 10% and all that stuff)[/quote]

So why are they rated in the 80s? It would seem to should be ranked around in the 40s/50s along with Florida and FSU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”