In at Miami!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
midrangejumper

Re: In at Miami!

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:33 pm

swheat wrote:To hell with TTT Miami

162/3.87 and ZERO scholarship. I am thinking that I won't even dignify their insulting offer with a notice of withdrawal.

when did you apply?

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:35 pm

midrangejumper wrote:

162/3.87 and ZERO scholarship. I am thinking that I won't even dignify their insulting offer with a notice of withdrawal.

when did you apply?

long time ago, December 19. Got my acceptance in around 3 weeks and 23k a year 2 weeks after that. Don't think I will be attending, so will probably withdraw at some point in the near future.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:44 pm

geoanthem wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:

when did you apply?

long time ago, December 19. Got my acceptance in around 3 weeks and 23k a year 2 weeks after that. Don't think I will be attending, so will probably withdraw at some point in the near future.

I applied end of January. I don't give a shit about their stupid January 5 scholarship deadline. I got a fee waiver letter in the mail in late January and it said, and I quote "YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A FEE WAIVER AND SCHOLARSHIP CONSIDERATION....TO PUT YOURSELF IN THE BEST POSITION FOR SCHOLARSHIPS, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION BY JANUARY 5."

Now I am not a lawyer yet, but that is some pretty ambiguous language. Maybe I wasn't in the "best position" for scholarships but zero? Come on I am above both 75ths.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:05 pm

swheat wrote:
geoanthem wrote:
midrangejumper wrote:

when did you apply?

I applied end of January. I don't give a shit about their stupid January 5 scholarship deadline. I got a fee waiver letter in the mail in late January and it said, and I quote "YOU ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A FEE WAIVER AND SCHOLARSHIP CONSIDERATION....TO PUT YOURSELF IN THE BEST POSITION FOR SCHOLARSHIPS, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION BY JANUARY 5."

Now I am not a lawyer yet, but that is some pretty ambiguous language. Maybe I wasn't in the "best position" for scholarships but zero? Come on I am above both 75ths.

why even apply there then? all you do is bash it.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:11 pm

I like the location and the beach, and I like the job prospects.

It's been a safety school for me all along but my goal with safeties was to have the option of 2nd tier+$$.

And I wouldn't bash it as much if they would pony up the cash :D

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:13 pm

swheat wrote:I like the location and the beach, and I like the job prospects.

It's been a safety school for me all along but my goal with safeties was to have the option of 2nd tier+$$.

dude if it's a safety school that who gives a hoot. at least you're in a position to have better law school prospects. im sure you'll go somewhere a lot better anways, and it'd probably be worth full sticker over miami+$$

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:14 pm

It seems to me you put yourself in the situation. I have family that are alumni of Miami and very involved with the school. From what I gather from their contacts and an email that the president of the school sent out, the school is in a lot of trouble financially so it makes sense that they wouldn't really consider people who send out late apps for scholarships.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:25 pm

geoanthem wrote:

It seems to me you put yourself in the situation. I have family that are alumni of Miami and very involved with the school. From what I gather from their contacts and an email that the president of the school sent out, the school is in a lot of trouble financially so it makes sense that they wouldn't really consider people who send out late apps for scholarships.

So you don't think the policy is at all arbitrary? I got a 75k offer from the comparably ranked DePaul, where I had applied at around the same time. I am in good shape because I've already been accepted to one of my targets. But what about others who applied late and didn't get into a target? Now they will be stuck paying sticker for Miami even with their scholarship-worth numbers.

It's a bad policy and its wrong to send out letters stating that students are eligible for scholarships when they really are not.

Thanks for placing all the blame on me, though. It is, after all, my fault that they sent me the fee waiver after the scholarship deadline.

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 pm

swheat wrote:
geoanthem wrote:

So you don't think the policy is at all arbitrary? I got a 75k offer from the comparably ranked DePaul, where I had applied at around the same time. I am in good shape because I've already been accepted to one of my targets. But what about others who applied late and didn't get into a target? Now they will be stuck paying sticker for Miami even with their scholarship-worth numbers.

It's a bad policy and its wrong to send out letters stating that students are eligible for scholarships when they really are not.

Thanks for placing all the blame on me, though. It is, after all, my fault that they sent me the fee waiver after the scholarship deadline.

You seem very entitled. These schools can give scholarships to whomever they want and whatever statistics they want. They warn that applications submitted after February 5 will not have as good a chance of receiving a scholarship. Miami doesn't have unlimited funds to give everyone they want scholarships. Face it, its your own fault. And people not getting scholarships with "scholarship worthy numbers" are not "forced" to pay sticker. If they don't like it, don't go to the school. It's as simple as that. As the saying goes, the early bird catches the worm...

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:32 pm

geoanthem wrote:
swheat wrote:
geoanthem wrote:

You seem very entitled. These schools can give scholarships to whomever they want and whatever statistics they want. They warn that applications submitted after February 5 will not have as good a chance of receiving a scholarship. Miami doesn't have unlimited funds to give everyone they want scholarships. Face it, its your own fault. And people not getting scholarships with "scholarship worthy numbers" are not "forced" to pay sticker. If they don't like it, don't go to the school. It's as simple as that. As the saying goes, the early bird catches the worm...

It's January 5, not Feb 5.

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Sorry I misread the date. same response still applies. get over it

js87

Postby js87 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:05 pm

It's funny, because my opinion seems to be the opposite of most people's here. I like the school, the offerings, and the price (with my scholarship). What I *don't* like is the location. I've lived in Miami, I currently live in another part of South Florida, and I really REALLY want to move out of Florida and to the northeast.

Way too hot, way too humid, the economy is terrible down here, suburban sprawl is rampant(personal pet peeve, I want to live in an *actual* city), and I sincerely believe that I'll have big issues finding employment in Miami because I'm not fluent in Spanish. This is not true of BigLaw, but small and midsize firms, and even some gov't agencies in Miami want bilingual attorneys :(

bella16

Postby bella16 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:09 pm

js87 wrote:It's funny, because my opinion seems to be the opposite of most people's here. I like the school, the offerings, and the price (with my scholarship). What I *don't* like is the location. I've lived in Miami, I currently live in another part of South Florida, and I really REALLY want to move out of Florida and to the northeast.

Way too hot, way too humid, the economy is terrible down here, suburban sprawl is rampant(personal pet peeve, I want to live in an *actual* city), and I sincerely believe that I'll have big issues finding employment in Miami because I'm not fluent in Spanish. This is not true of BigLaw, but small and midsize firms, and even some gov't agencies in Miami want bilingual attorneys :(

Hmmm that's a really good point. But, I'm under the impression that if you can go to law school and hack it in there, surely you could spend some spare time and try to learn Spanish right? Especially if it were dependent on advancing your career. Or even showing that you are in fact attempting to learn it might help.

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Got an email asking for GPA addendum. Hoping this means they like my application and just want a valid reason for the grades. I've started to become really interested in Miami (location, school, athletics, etc), so this could be good news as the only school I've heard back from was U Baltimore (accepted). For those from the area/deciding to attend, what can you tell me that I can't read in books/online? I may want to try to move back to DC after graduation, but I like the area enough (or the thought of the area enough) to stay in south FLA. Also, anyone know anything about the prominent ocean and coastal law masters program? Is that 4 years (3 plus the 1 for the masters) if you go to Miami for your JD as well? Thanks.

TKM

Postby TKM » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:50 pm

Hey I've got a quick question! I just took the feb lsat, how long should it take for schools to get my score?

Boyk1182

Postby Boyk1182 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:52 pm

TKM wrote:Hey I've got a quick question! I just took the feb lsat, how long should it take for schools to get my score?

I'm not positive, but I think it depends on the school in question. I know that some schools request an update to your LSAC file (ie. any new LORs, transcripts, etc.), say, twice a month, or weekly, etc. I have called different schools about this, but since it's an LSAT I'd call the school because it might be different...

TKM

Postby TKM » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Boyk1182 wrote:
TKM wrote:Hey I've got a quick question! I just took the feb lsat, how long should it take for schools to get my score?

I'm not positive, but I think it depends on the school in question. I know that some schools request an update to your LSAC file (ie. any new LORs, transcripts, etc.), say, twice a month, or weekly, etc. I have called different schools about this, but since it's an LSAT I'd call the school because it might be different...

Thanks!

Boyk1182

Postby Boyk1182 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:58 pm

TKM wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:

Thanks!

I think a lot of schools are handing out a ton of "holds" right now... my guess is that it's for all you who took the February LSAT, to see your scores and who applies, etc. I'd say don't worry too much, the schools are just as eager to see your score as you are to show it to them!

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:47 pm

Is the online status checker the MY UM site you can create for yourself? Mine just says Welcome To MyUM, ________. If accepted, is it on this page right underneath that in the Law Admissions section?

kellbell

Postby kellbell » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Yeah, it's seriously the first screen after you log in. You can't miss it. You click to log on and you see "congratulations" right in front of you. It's definitely not hidden, you don't have to search for it.

Edited for spelling.

paulmar

Postby paulmar » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Ah, I'm in Miami right now b/c I'm leaving for a cruise tomorrow, but I met with the Dean and spoke with him about scholarships.

According to him, there were approx. 700 offered and they were all sent at the beginning of Feb. Anyway, he was really nice (actually opened the door to his office barefoot b/c it's Sat and of course they're closed.

Also, the campus is beautiful and refreshing. I just don't know if I can bear the price tag. Anyway, good guy.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:25 pm

I wish there were more pics of the law school online somewhere.

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:30 pm

bella16 wrote:I wish there were more pics of the law school online somewhere.

its a really clean 70's style quad building three stories high, great bricked courtyard....not the newest but better than FSU, not as nice as Florida, Stetson or FIU

ResIpsaLoquitur

Postby ResIpsaLoquitur » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:45 pm

I just visited U Miami and it was reallly really nice
The building isnt new, but I think that really plays into its charm-comfortable. The bricks are really cool, its like its own isloated part of the schools campus (and its wireless)

kbigs

Postby kbigs » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:52 pm

From my recent visit. Not much, but hope it helps.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”