In at Miami!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SpencerPratt

Re: In at Miami!

Postby SpencerPratt » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:36 pm

Edge427 wrote:
JMC wrote:
Edge427 wrote:Checked status via phone call. Complete and in review. Anyone know of a status checker for Miami?

Try this:

https://caneid.miami.edu/cas/login?serv ... dcheck.asp

Let me create an ID but no status. Oh well... the wait continues :lol:

Created an ID too but no status or anything. They received my electronic app the 19th, so I wasn't expecting any news, just hoping! They said it takes 10-12 days to get the hard copy of the app.

Is the Congratulations just posted on the main page or is there a status update link that I'm missing?

kellbell

Postby kellbell » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:02 pm

Yeah, it's as soon as you log in. Hang in there!

project40

Postby project40 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:17 am

well upon being noticed that I would not be receiving any scholarship $ i am getting ready to send in a withdrawal today or tomorrow so good luck to the rest of you

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:43 am

project40 wrote:well upon being noticed that I would not be receiving any scholarship $ i am getting ready to send in a withdrawal today or tomorrow so good luck to the rest of you
How do you know you would not be receiving any $$ in the future?

project40

Postby project40 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:25 am

i called a few days ago to check like..last wednesday

and friday i got a call from some woman there saying they had gone over my application and i hadn't been selected for a scholarship but to apply for the miami scholars program if i wanted to do public interest (which i dont)

so i told her that was unfortunate and that I had received $ from other schools and couldnt justify a move to miami without any aid even though I had a genuine interest in the school, she said good luck with your career in law

so F you miami haha

i was expecting some money with a 159/3.35 putting me above their median for Lsat and right under the median for gpa

but whatever i have a lot of options, though would have liked miami since my interest is immigration law

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 am

project40 wrote:i called a few days ago to check like..last wednesday

and friday i got a call from some woman there saying they had gone over my application and i hadn't been selected for a scholarship but to apply for the miami scholars program if i wanted to do public interest (which i dont)

so i told her that was unfortunate and that I had received $ from other schools and couldnt justify a move to miami without any aid even though I had a genuine interest in the school, she said good luck with your career in law

so F you miami haha

i was expecting some money with a 159/3.35 putting me above their median for Lsat and right under the median for gpa

but whatever i have a lot of options, though would have liked miami since my interest is immigration law

they have a pretty strict deadline for scholly's. when did you apply? the deadline was you had to get your app in before 1/5 i believe.

project40

Postby project40 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:26 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
they have a pretty strict deadline for scholly's. when did you apply? the deadline was you had to get your app in before 1/5 i believe.

yeah i applied like in december...she just basically said they did not have a lot of money this year, etc

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Anyone applying for the Miami Scholars program?

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:53 am

bella16 wrote:Anyone applying for the Miami Scholars program?

im not, but I asked them, and if you got the 23K a year, its not in addition to that. Instead, the 25K a year takes the place of the 23K scholly...just keep that in mind.

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:15 am

It doesn't look like I'll be getting a scholarship to Miami, but I'm still considering them anyway. It depends partly on whether or not I get accepted to two of the state schools that I've applied to. I like Miami a lot, I think that they are underrated, they have a large alumni base, a great location, a lot of course options, and a top 10 tax law program.

Is anyone else considering Miami even if they don't get a scholarship?

SoxyPirate

Postby SoxyPirate » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:17 am

mrman17 wrote:It doesn't look like I'll be getting a scholarship to Miami, but I'm still considering them anyway. It depends partly on whether or not I get accepted to two of the state schools that I've applied to. I like Miami a lot, I think that they are underrated, they have a large alumni base, a great location, a lot of course options, and a top 10 tax law program.

I'm considering equally ranked schools with similar tuition costs, but not miami because of the ridiculous cost of living. With a scholarship, maybe.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 am

mrman17 wrote:It doesn't look like I'll be getting a scholarship to Miami, but I'm still considering them anyway. It depends partly on whether or not I get accepted to two of the state schools that I've applied to. I like Miami a lot, I think that they are underrated, they have a large alumni base, a great location, a lot of course options, and a top 10 tax law program.

you and i are on the same wavelength. not gonna get a scholly, but miami is so tempting due to some of the solid pluses that they have, like alumni base and location (especially location to me, as in the state of florida).

that in mind, since i want to go to school in/practice in florida, im waiting to hear back from FSU/UF before i make my final decision. i think people underestimate their alumni base too.

mrman17

Postby mrman17 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:33 am

SoxyPirate wrote:

I'm considering equally ranked schools with similar tuition costs, but not miami because of the ridiculous cost of living. With a scholarship, maybe.

The cost of living is high, but I've found decent 1 bedroom apartments for $650 and under. I also have a wife who works as an ASL interpreter, which is in good demand and makes a decent wage. I might go to Miami and let my wife be my scholarship.

I'm still waiting to hear from UNLV and Hawaii before I make my decision.

kellbell

Postby kellbell » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:54 am

I'm considering them without money. Any other out of state school is going to be a few thousand less and the cost of living a little less per year. I figure there's not a lot of difference between going $120K in debt and $140K. I'm going to be paying it off the rest of my life regardless.

That is, of course, if I don't chicken out and go to the local law school for free. :|

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:19 am

mrman17 wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:

The cost of living is high, but I've found decent 1 bedroom apartments for $650 and under. I also have a wife who works as an ASL interpreter, which is in good demand and makes a decent wage. I might go to Miami and let my wife be my scholarship.

I'm still waiting to hear from UNLV and Hawaii before I make my decision.

where did you find this apartment? where is it located? just curious because the more serious i get about miami, the more ive been looking at where good apartments might be at, etc.

kbigs

Postby kbigs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:24 am

I've been checking craigslist sporadically and finding decent deals (650-800 range) for furnished apartments in coconut grove, south miami, kendall, and brickell. When I visited the campus last week these were neighborhoods that the tour guide said were pretty popular with UM students.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 am

kbigs wrote:I've been checking craigslist sporadically and finding decent deals (650-800 range) for furnished apartments in coconut grove, south miami, kendall, and brickell. When I visited the campus last week these were neighborhoods that the tour guide said were pretty popular with UM students.

im gonna be specifically looking for furnished since im coming from a distance

pappujd

Postby pappujd » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:42 am

I am like the only person on TLS who application to U Miami has been deferred. Anyone have any thoughts?? I sent a LOCI in January..

Thanks for you feedback in advance.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:46 am

pappujd wrote:I am like the only person on TLS who application to U Miami has been deferred. Anyone have any thoughts?? I sent a LOCI in January..

Thanks for you feedback in advance.

actually you're not alone, ive seen 2 other people like yourself that have. i really have no what advice to give you though, other than a LOCI, which you've already done. good luck to you.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 am

Anyone else feeling torn about Miami and another school? With the scholarship it makes it $3000 more than UGA but I find myself getting so caught up in the rankings even though I'm not sure how happy I'll be in Athens. *sighs* Decisions decisons.

Mikey1

Postby Mikey1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 am

bella16 wrote:Anyone else feeling torn about Miami and another school? With the scholarship it makes it $3000 more than UGA but I find myself getting so caught up in the rankings even though I'm not sure how happy I'll be in Athens. *sighs* Decisions decisons.

That is very tough, to be honest. Where do you want to practice?

kbigs

Postby kbigs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:05 pm

bella16 wrote:Anyone else feeling torn about Miami and another school? With the scholarship it makes it $3000 more than UGA but I find myself getting so caught up in the rankings even though I'm not sure how happy I'll be in Athens. *sighs* Decisions decisons.

Ditto. Very torn between scholarship at Miami and Brooklyn (waiting to see if I get any $). I've been in NYC my whole life, so the prospect of a relocation is enticing. Just trying to weigh pros and cons of a brooklyn vs miami comparison.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 pm

I'd go to UGA.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:07 pm

kak23 wrote:

I'd go to UGA.

I decided against going there for undergrad b/c I just didn't like it. The student body & prevalent (sp)attitudes seemed homogenous :?. After living in a big city for such a long time with diverse views and character I'm just not sure if Athens is for me. Cost? Can't beat it but I'm really not sure if I'll be happy. On the other hand, I want to be sure I'm getting a quality education & I've been trying to do more research on the U. Where I want to practice? I'm open for whatever.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:16 pm

bella16 wrote:
kak23 wrote:

I'd go to UGA.

I decided against going there for undergrad b/c I just didn't like it. The student body & prevalent (sp)attitudes seemed homogenous :?. After living in a big city for such a long time with diverse views and character I'm just not sure if Athens is for me. Cost? Can't beat it but I'm really not sure if I'll be happy. On the other hand, I want to be sure I'm getting a quality education & I've been trying to do more research on the U. Where I want to practice? I'm open for whatever.

Looking at your profile, you should not pick Miami over Washington and Lee or UGA, I'm telling you as someone who got rejected at UGA and is waiting on W&L. I don't like the rural environment either but you can use your summers to intern somewhere more urban. W&L would be perfect to go to DC or back to towards the South. I'd pick W&L. Miami is a decent school, don't get me wrong but you'd be crazy to pick it over some of your better options. I'd tough it out and go to the better option with better opportunities. I don't like it anymore than you do but a career in law is very prestige-whore-like. Plus that's a nice scholarship offer at W&L. Good Luck!
Last edited by Rocky Estoppel on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”