In at Miami!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JuryDueT1000

Re: In at Miami!

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:28 am

laurenl wrote:For you all who applied to Miami or were recently accepted...

I find Miami's application annoying...it asks you to list all of your writing/papers from undergrad or your writing/articles if you were a journalist or whatever. I'm a journalism major, so I guess I'm going to list some of the stories I've written with a brief explanation, it's just kinda annoying because I don't remember every writing assignment from my other classes in college. Also, it gives a huge space to write about adversity...do you all think a diversity statement would suffice in its place? What did you guys do?

Congrats to everyone who was recently accepted by the way :)

It doesn't really ask you to list EVERY article you wrote since starting undergrad... Pick your most noteworthy pieces that demonstrate your writing ability and journalistic achievements.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:03 am

ChrisMike624 wrote:

I find Miami's application annoying...it asks you to list all of your writing/papers from undergrad or your writing/articles if you were a journalist or whatever. I'm a journalism major, so I guess I'm going to list some of the stories I've written with a brief explanation, it's just kinda annoying because I don't remember every writing assignment from my other classes in college. Also, it gives a huge space to write about adversity...do you all think a diversity statement would suffice in its place? What did you guys do?

It doesn't really ask you to list EVERY article you wrote since starting undergrad... Pick your most noteworthy pieces that demonstrate your writing ability and journalistic achievements.

Agreed. As a journalism major, you should have no problem copying the titles off a few and posting them on there. I'm an English major so that's exactly what I did. For the adversity part I highlighted my diversity statement copied it and put it right in that box. I don't consider that hard at all.

casper00

Postby casper00 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:16 am

After applying how long did it take you all to find out about acceptances? I know Miami's quick, but how quick is my question.

laurenl

Postby laurenl » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:18 am

Last edited by laurenl on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:19 am

laurenl wrote:It's a little different for me though because I'm a broadcast journalism major...so I don't have anything in print with a title...everything's on video. And broadcast copy is short, punchy, and conversational. It's not formal like print, so all the writing I've done in broadcast doesn't showcase my writing skills well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it say significant projects as well. Didn't you write scripts or something of the sort for it? That would count as well. Just give a brief explanation.

Helena22

Postby Helena22 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:42 pm

I had a list of like.. 10 papers? And I listed my AP English exam from HS I think.. for the adversity essay, I took a chance and wrote a paragraph about a severe eating disorder that landed me in residential treatment.. I probably wouldn't have done that if it was my top choice, but as it was, it worked out fine.

But for sure, I think a diversity statement would suffice (I don't have one)..

Cane26

Postby Cane26 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:53 pm

In at miami today 11/18!!! Applied on 11/8! My first law school admission. I am an undergrad here and wonder if that's why it went to fast?

JuryDueT1000

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:58 pm

Cane26 wrote:In at miami today 11/18!!! Applied on 11/8! My first law school admission. I am an undergrad here and wonder if that's why it went to fast?

Thats what she said.

js87

Postby js87 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:57 pm

bella16 wrote:
acfrahm wrote:The first time I logged into my UM site it said congrats on the acceptance to miami. It also says its great to be miami hurricane.

Hope this helps.

Same here but when I tried to login the admitted website it says my social and bday don't match. So, there may be some other login we don't have yet but they are different websites.

I have the same issue. I may call them later this week.

Helena22

Postby Helena22 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:49 pm

js87 wrote:
bella16 wrote:
acfrahm wrote:The first time I logged into my UM site it said congrats on the acceptance to miami. It also says its great to be miami hurricane.

Hope this helps.

Same here but when I tried to login the admitted website it says my social and bday don't match. So, there may be some other login we don't have yet but they are different websites.

After I went through the same thing, and attempted like 5 times, I then looked at the web page prior to it that noted that "the admitted students site will be activated in the spring".. so.. I am thinking that is it.

Hudda Budda

Postby Hudda Budda » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:06 pm

i still haven't gotten an email from them after sending in my application. Can anyone provide the link to where you register?

Helena22

Postby Helena22 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Hudda Budda wrote:i still haven't gotten an email from them after sending in my application. Can anyone provide the link to where you register?

Go to the general site and "MyUMlogi".. register through the steps they provide.

Btw, I didn't get an email until after I had done this.

Hudda Budda

Postby Hudda Budda » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Okay thanks. They still haven't gotten my report so I guess I gotta wait even longer. You guys seem to have gotten your responses fast as hell though.

js87

Postby js87 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Has anyone who has been accepted gotten word of scholarships yet?

Also, I spent a semester of undergrad at UMiami. I'm not sure if it's where I'll be going yet (obviously waiting to hear from every other school) but if anyone has any questions about the campus, location, etc. feel free to ask :)

Cane26

Postby Cane26 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:11 pm

feel free to ask me any questions as well. I am an undergrad at miami and spent all 4 years here. I have done considerable work with the law school as well.

nvoight911

Postby nvoight911 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:03 pm

js87 wrote:Has anyone who has been accepted gotten word of scholarships yet?

Also, I spent a semester of undergrad at UMiami. I'm not sure if it's where I'll be going yet (obviously waiting to hear from every other school) but if anyone has any questions about the campus, location, etc. feel free to ask :)

Yeah I'm curious about scholarships as well

Dr. Foom

Postby Dr. Foom » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:02 pm

Yeah, I was kinda curious about scholarships myself. For everyone else that got accepted, did their letters mention scholarships? Mine didn't, and I sorta figured I'd be in line for at least a little bit of cash.

Boyk1182

Postby Boyk1182 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:38 pm

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE THAT GOT ACCEPTED!!!
IT FEELS GREAT TO GET THAT FIRST ACCEPTANCE, HUH :lol:
I'M STILL WAITING FOR THE REST LIKE Y'ALL, BUT IT'S NICE TO KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO LAW SCHOOL :mrgreen:

bella16

Postby bella16 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:40 pm

Helena22 wrote:
js87 wrote:
bella16 wrote:

Hope this helps.

After I went through the same thing, and attempted like 5 times, I then looked at the web page prior to it that noted that "the admitted students site will be activated in the spring".. so.. I am thinking that is it.

Sorry I forgot to post. I called and they called me back and said the site will be up in a couple of days and then you can login. But Admitted students day is March 27th. They do interesting things for pre-orientation. For example, rent out a nightclub so you can hang out with other incoming 1ls.

Boyk1182

Postby Boyk1182 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:44 pm

That sounds like trouble before anyone even gets there :wink:

meerap

Postby meerap » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:45 pm

This is my first (and so far, ONLY...eep!) acceptance! They are really fast- I applied there the first week of November and got the giant Congratulations status on their website only two weeks later. I still havent gotten the actual letter in the mail yet, but Im really hoping for a scholarship.

Congrats to everyone else also! :) We are going to law school!

killi

Postby killi » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:20 pm

got my acceptance letter in the mail today. Applied 10/31. letter dated 11/14. i tried to log on to the caneid 11/14 and was able to get in, before i knew about the acceptance. same day, freaky.

grats to the rest as well!

casper00

Postby casper00 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:23 am

Got an e-mail today from assistant dean of admissions at miami saying "I wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed your personal statement. I feel like I know you and that is what a good personal statement is all about....You will be getting an admit letter from us in the near future."

Blown away. Still no activity on myum status checker. But that made me so happy :)

loro-rojo

Postby loro-rojo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:48 pm

Congrats to those accepted. I learned yesterday that I was in.. what a relief to get your first acceptance!

coolkatz321

Postby coolkatz321 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 pm

Congrats to everyone accepted!

Got mine today and it's feels pretty sweet to know I'm going to law school. Now, if only the rest of the schools I applied to would make up their mind as quickly as Miami...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”