In at Miami!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nvoight911

Re: In at Miami!

Postby nvoight911 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:39 pm

kbigs wrote:Anyone have any theories as to how Miami gets through their applications so quickly, as opposed to other schools? Most schools got back to me after going complete and said 8-12 weeks, while Miami only took two.

They accept like 50% of their applicants

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Pizon wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:Get a cheap apartment at a quite neighborhood, preferably close to the Turnpike or some other main road.

How do you feel about the suggestion made earlier of buying a foreclosed condo?

EDIT:

If you drove at a time when school( high school, middle school, etc) was not ongoing then it's possible that you got there in 45 mins. If you drive at 7:00 a.m. you can't move faster than 10 miles per hour, especially driving on US1.

It was about 4-5 PM and I remember traffic was moving very slowly...

flhealth gave you that suggestion, after I had advised him to do that. Buy a cheap condo. You will pay less than if you rented a place. Of course, you need to have a good credit score or have your parents buy it for you because if not you are not going to get the loan, but that's pretty obvious.

VAGATOR

Postby VAGATOR » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:18 am

gdin wrote:has anyone been accepted and still hasnt received their acceptance package? i was accepted almost 2 weeks ago and still haven't

It took me about two weeks from getting the internet acceptance to getting the actual letter. Got the scholarship offer a few days later. Even if I get into FSU or UF, I'm going to think long and hard about going to Miami, the big city is enticing.

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:39 pm

Received log in information for the website in an email - logged in to find I was accepted. I don't remember ever receiving a complete email though. My first acceptance - I know I'm going to law school this fall somewhere. Hopefully some scholarship info in the mail as well.
Last edited by Rocky Estoppel on Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:41 pm

kak23 wrote:Received log in information for the website in an email - logged in to find I was accepted. My first acceptance - I know I'm going to law school this fall somewhere. Hopefully some scholarship info in the mail as well.

congrats!!

Rocky Estoppel

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:18 am

midrangejumper wrote:
kak23 wrote:Received log in information for the website in an email - logged in to find I was accepted. My first acceptance - I know I'm going to law school this fall somewhere. Hopefully some scholarship info in the mail as well.

congrats!!

Thanks. It's an expensive school, so that's something for me to consider but it feels good knowing that I'm going somewhere now.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:56 am

kak23 wrote:Received log in information for the website in an email - logged in to find I was accepted. I don't remember ever receiving a complete email though. My first acceptance - I know I'm going to law school this fall somewhere. Hopefully some scholarship info in the mail as well.

Congrats! And you were worried!

Anyone know if Miami is known for "upping the anty" at all? Even with the scholly it's still super expensive.

katjust

Postby katjust » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:34 am

I have declined my offer of admission and scholarship (23K). I hope that helps all of you.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:16 am

Sorry if this has already been answered, but did your scholarship offers come with the initial acceptance packet or in a separate mailer?

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:28 am

apper123 wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered, but did your scholarship offers come with the initial acceptance packet or in a separate mailer?

separate

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:52 am

Do any Florida natives know how long the commute is from Boca to Coral Gables? I am from NYC and used to traffic, but for various reasons if I go to UM I will probably live in Boca. I know its about 55 miles, but how is the traffic? Is it commutable, and how long does it take?
Also, what about Hollywood, I know its closer-about 30 miles. What would a commute from there be like as well?
Thanks

js87

Postby js87 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:58 am

dreman510 wrote:Do any Florida natives know how long the commute is from Boca to Coral Gables? I am from NYC and used to traffic, but for various reasons if I go to UM I will probably live in Boca. I know its about 55 miles, but how is the traffic? Is it commutable, and how long does it take?
Also, what about Hollywood, I know its closer-about 30 miles. What would a commute from there be like as well?
Thanks

I live in Boca right now and did a semester at UM undergrad, so I've been back and forth many times. I lived in campus housing while at UM, though.

I would try to go back and forth between (west) Boca and Coral Gables during NON rush hour hours, typically late at night. I had it down to a science, it would usually take me 1 hour and 5 minutes, give or take a minute or two. During rush hour, it's taken me as long as 2 and a half hours.

You do *not* want to commute from Boca. From Hollywood is much more reasonable, but you'd still get bogged down in the worst part of the traffic.

For me, the only place I'd really consider living if I decide on UM Law is Brickell/Downtown. I want a walkable, city/urban atmosphere. I am so sick of suburbs!

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:05 am

js87 wrote:
dreman510 wrote:Do any Florida natives know how long the commute is from Boca to Coral Gables? I am from NYC and used to traffic, but for various reasons if I go to UM I will probably live in Boca. I know its about 55 miles, but how is the traffic? Is it commutable, and how long does it take?
Thanks

I live in Boca right now and did a semester at UM undergrad, so I've been back and forth many times. I lived in campus housing while at UM, though.

I would try to go back and forth between (west) Boca and Coral Gables during NON rush hour hours, typically late at night. I had it down to a science, it would usually take me 1 hour and 5 minutes, give or take a minute or two. During rush hour, it's taken me as long as 2 and a half hours.

You do *not* want to commute from Boca. From Hollywood is much more reasonable, but you'd still get bogged down in the worst part of the traffic.

For me, the only place I'd really consider living if I decide on UM Law is Brickell/Downtown. I want a walkable, city/urban atmosphere. I am so sick of suburbs!

The evening commute may not be during rush hour, but the morning commute probably will be.
How long would the Hollywood drive take in that time? What about Miami Beach?

SleekFire

Postby SleekFire » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:13 am

dreman510 wrote:
js87 wrote:
Thanks

The evening commute may not be during rush hour, but the morning commute probably will be.
How long would the Hollywood drive take in that time? What about Miami Beach?

Yea sorry bro those are not fun drives!
Miami beach shouldn't be that bad.. maybe 20-35 minutes..

KLeigh

Postby KLeigh » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:14 am

SleekFire wrote:
dreman510 wrote:How long would the Hollywood drive take in that time? What about Miami Beach?

Yea sorry bro those are not fun drives!
Miami beach shouldn't be that bad.. maybe 20-35 minutes..

Yup. I'd say 45 max, but probably around 30 if you leave from the beach around 8:20-8:30 in the morning.

mdd05d

Postby mdd05d » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Native Hollywood-ian in the house! I would say you're still looking at a 30 minute drive to get to UM assuming minimal traffic from Hollywood. I have no idea how long it would take you to find parking, but I've heard it's a biatch.

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:05 pm

mdd05d wrote:Native Hollywood-ian in the house! I would say you're still looking at a 30 minute drive to get to UM assuming minimal traffic from Hollywood. I have no idea how long it would take you to find parking, but I've heard it's a biatch.

UM doesnt offer parking? There's no student lot?

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:06 pm

mdd- How does life in Hollywood / Ft. Lauderdale area differ (if at all) from the city of Miami?

js87

Postby js87 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:19 pm

dreman510 wrote:
mdd05d wrote:Native Hollywood-ian in the house! I would say you're still looking at a 30 minute drive to get to UM assuming minimal traffic from Hollywood. I have no idea how long it would take you to find parking, but I've heard it's a biatch.

They do offer parking. Finding parking can (at times) be a pain but it's not that bad.

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:21 pm

js87 wrote:
dreman510 wrote:

They do offer parking. Finding parking can (at times) be a pain but it's not that bad.

thats with the parking offered? is there a fee?

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:53 pm

how much is the student parking lot? do they have a law/grad school parking lot or no?

mdd05d

Postby mdd05d » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:32 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:mdd- How does life in Hollywood / Ft. Lauderdale area differ (if at all) from the city of Miami?

Well for one, the Hispanic influence is far more prevalent in the Miami area than in Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale. That isn't to say it doesn't exist in the FTL/Hollywood area, but I feel as if not being able to speak and understand at least some Spanish seriously hinders your ability to do business and live in MIA. Once you go South of Ft. Lauderdale on I-95 you can really start to see the difference. Traffic is not bad in the FTL/Hollywood area.

As for the nightlife, if you live in FTL/Hollywood you're most likely either going to the Hard Rock in Hollywood or Downtown Riverwalk area of FTL Beach. You'll see a younger crowd at the Hard Rock/Riverwalk bars than you will in South Beach, IMO.

Dolphins Stadium is on the Miami-Dade/Broward County border, and it's very close to people living in the FTL/Hollywood area. I'm pretty sure the new Marlins stadium is going to be located where the Orange Bowl was which is a pretty far drive from FTL/Hollywood.

Both areas have a bevy of malls, stores, restaurants, etc. I don't feel like there is much difference in that respect.

Public schools in the Miami area are pretty brutal. There are some good public schools left in Broward County.

Anything else, PM me and I could elaborate further.
Last edited by mdd05d on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdd05d

Postby mdd05d » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:33 pm

Oh, and when I took a tour at Miami the tour guide even made a point about how bad parking is. She said a lot of students park at the train station and take that in to campus.

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:42 pm

js87 wrote:
dreman510 wrote:

bring quarters for the parking meter

js87

Postby js87 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:37 pm

Yeah, the other thing I should mention -- the law school parking lot is pretty horrible. It's poorly designed, and the spots are tiny. If you value your car, you won't want to park it there. People *will* open their doors in to you. Personally, my plan if I attend UM would be to live near the metro rail and take that to school, and only drive on days when I know I'll be at school very late.

I agree with mdd05d on what he's said. I think if you do not speak Spanish, it will severely hinder your professional career prospects within Miami-Dade county itself.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”