In at Miami! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gdin

New

Re: In at Miami!

Post by gdin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:45 pm

has anyone been accepted and still hasnt received their acceptance package? i was accepted almost 2 weeks ago and still haven't

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:46 pm

gdin wrote:has anyone been accepted and still hasnt received their acceptance package? i was accepted almost 2 weeks ago and still haven't
I just got it today. Accepted on 1/15.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:46 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Can I come even though I didn't apply?? lol Y'all can rock out at my house in miami. :lol:

+1 Anything to get away from the NYC weather. :D
Last edited by Anonymous0L on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Miami Beach is a good alternative to South Beach. It's a little less crazy than South Beach, just as nice IMO, and a bit cheaper. Probably where I'd wind up looking if I wind up going to UM, esp after finding out there was no on campus housing for grad students.

gdin

New

Post by gdin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:49 pm

holmesNYC wrote:
gdin wrote:has anyone been accepted and still hasnt received their acceptance package? i was accepted almost 2 weeks ago and still haven't
I just got it today. Accepted on 1/15.
i got accepted the same day. i guess ill give them a call tomorrow

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helena22

New

Post by Helena22 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:47 pm

amyLAchemist wrote: :lol: Damn, I miss that place.
I know right?

alibaba286

New

Post by alibaba286 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:53 pm

south beach/miami beach are awesome places to visit, but i would definitely spend some time there before i committed to signing a lease. it's a zoo pretty much 24/7, and there's definitely a lot of distractions that are outside your control--i.e., the entire state of oklahoma stayed in SoBe for the BCS championship game, and there were fights and cops and sirens for 3 days straight. not that i didn't have an awesome time, but that kind of comes with the territory, even if you are trying to be a student and maybe sleep the night before an 8 AM exam.

traffic is also pretty terrible. it's doable to live in SB and commute to UM, i have friends who did it for undergrad, but it's more like 30 minutes, can be twice that at rush hour. keep in mind, US 1 is the only major artery through the neighborhoods of the city, as well as the most heavily trafficked route to the keys. Example: it took my boyfriend almost an hour to drive from South Bayshore Drive to the UM campus to pick me up last week. Reason: he was driving at 4 PM. if you look on a map, that's not a very far distance, but 1 just slows to a crawl.

most undergrads i know live in Brickell, it's a lot of very new high-rise type buildings that are reportedly pretty cheap right now. brickell ave is nice, and it's just south of downtown. i'm living in coconut grove, which is very much divided between ghetto and fabulous. its also right next to the gables, so pretty convenient.

okay well all of the roommates just walked in and they're very loud people, so i've lost all my concentration. hope that info was helpful and not too jumbled and i swear i like fun i just wouldn't live in south beach. :)

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:03 pm

this is the second time ive heard about brickell...

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
Helena22 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote: :lol: Damn, I miss that place.
I know right?
Sometimes I wonder why I am moving to NY. Sigh.
So have you decided on Cornell!?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:01 pm

As a native Floridian, I have been to Miami many times....anybody who thinks South Beach is the best place to live in Miami is WRONG!!!....there are a ton of great neighborhoods including Coral Gables, Coconut Grove,and Pembroke...
however rbgrocio, a really nice girl who lives in the area showed me some deals like this one in Palmetto Bay near Kendall:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 1105284165

you can not make a wiser choice...there are a ton of these in foreclosure making your payment around $300 a month
BTW....20 minutes from SoBe to the U without traffic
good luck to you all

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:23 pm

flhealth wrote:As a native Floridian, I have been to Miami many times....anybody who thinks South Beach is the best place to live in Miami is WRONG!!!....there are a ton of great neighborhoods including Coral Gables, Coconut Grove,and Pembroke...
however rbgrocio, a really nice girl who lives in the area showed me some deals like this one in Palmetto Bay near Kendall:

you can not make a wiser choice...there are a ton of these in foreclosure making your payment around $300 a month
good luck to you all
with all these foreclosures and what not, would it actually maybe make more sense to buy a place since you're going to be there for 3 years anyways? what do you guys think?

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:28 pm

midrangejumper wrote:
flhealth wrote:As a native Floridian, I have been to Miami many times....anybody who thinks South Beach is the best place to live in Miami is WRONG!!!....there are a ton of great neighborhoods including Coral Gables, Coconut Grove,and Pembroke...

good luck to you all
with all these foreclosures and what not, would it actually maybe make more sense to buy a place since you're going to be there for 3 years anyways? what do you guys think?
thats what i was showing you with the link....ridiculous deals (44K for a condo)

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:31 pm

kbigs wrote:Miami Beach is a good alternative to South Beach. It's a little less crazy than South Beach, just as nice IMO, and a bit cheaper. Probably where I'd wind up looking if I wind up going to UM, esp after finding out there was no on campus housing for grad students.

If you are planning on driving to UM from Miami Beach and then back to Miami Beach from UM, you better have lots of time and lots of money. Miami Beach is still really expensive and the traffic will kill you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:35 pm

good luck to you all

hahaha!!I think we are all going to end up owning one of those condos. BTW... that's one of the ugliest ones; if you look around you will find some really nice ones in the same association. I visited the other day, and it's a really calm area, just next to US1 and close to the Turnpike. You can get anywhere in just a few minutes and you get to live in a quite area.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:37 pm

rbgrocio wrote:

good luck to you all

hahaha!!I think we are all going to end up owning one of those condos. BTW... that's one of the ugliest ones; if you look around you will find some really nice ones in the same association. I visited the other day, and it's a really calm area, just next to US1 and close to the Turnpike. You can get anywhere in just a few minutes and you get to live in a quite area.
WOOHOOO CAR POOL!!!!!!

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:38 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
kbigs wrote:Miami Beach is a good alternative to South Beach. It's a little less crazy than South Beach, just as nice IMO, and a bit cheaper. Probably where I'd wind up looking if I wind up going to UM, esp after finding out there was no on campus housing for grad students.

If you are planning on driving to UM from Miami Beach and then back to Miami Beach from UM, you better have lots of time and lots of money. Miami Beach is still really expensive and the traffic will kill you.
I didn't think it was that unreasonable an idea. It's about 10 miles from campus. What's that, 30-60 min by car, depending on traffic? I've seen some studios around $800 and 1BRs for around $1000-1200.

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:40 pm

kbigs wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

I didn't think it was that unreasonable an idea. It's about 10 miles from campus. What's that, 30-60 min by car, depending on traffic? I've seen some studios around $800 and 1BRs for around $1000-1200.
you would need to leave at like 6:30 to beat the rush, any later and youre screwed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:43 pm

kbigs wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

I live 10 miles from UM. It can take me 1 1/2 hours to get there. If you have class at 8 you better get out of the house at 6:45 or else be ready to drive at 10 miles per hour. If you get out of the house at 6:45 you will be at UM by 7:15. If you get out at 7 you will be late to class.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:46 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
kbigs wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

I live 10 miles from UM. It can take me 1 1/2 hours to get there. If you have class at 8 you better get out of the house at 6:45 or else be ready to drive at 10 miles per hour. If you get out of the house at 6:45 you will be at UM by 7:15. If you get out at 7 you will be late to class.
yikes

joonix

New

Post by joonix » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Do you get your scholarship offer with the admissions packet (the one with the DVD) or does it come separately?

john2k

New

Post by john2k » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:53 pm

I got my letter acceptance and info separately, but within a day of each other. Applied 1/3 got an acceptance email 1/15 and got a letter on Saturday and scholarship offer today.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:29 pm

has anyone been rejected?

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:31 pm

joobacca wrote:has anyone been rejected?
LSN has some rejections listed....153 and less

geoanthem

Bronze

Post by geoanthem » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 pm

does everyone apply to miami?

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:34 pm

geoanthem wrote:does everyone apply to miami?
:?: :?:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”