In at Miami!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
2009 Prospective

Re: In at Miami!

Postby 2009 Prospective » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:34 pm

smack4ud wrote:yay me too. 3.3/164

anyone get $? still waiting on my letter

I think its safe to say that you can be looking at least at 2/3 tuition and quite possibily more. Just my opinion though.

holmesNYC

Postby holmesNYC » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:32 pm

Ha haa, I just started catching up on the past season of Dexter...

smack4ud

Postby smack4ud » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:39 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:

I think its safe to say that you can be looking at least at 2/3 tuition and quite possibily more. Just my opinion though.

I was thinking 23,00 a year... but here's hoping.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:08 am

Those of you who were awarded scholarships. Did you receive the scholarship letter together with the admissions letter in the mail or did the scholarship letter come a few days later?

kbigs

Postby kbigs » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:37 am

holmesNYC wrote:Ha haa, I just started catching up on the past season of Dexter...

One of the reasons why I applied.

nvoight911

Postby nvoight911 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:06 pm

rbgrocio wrote:Those of you who were awarded scholarships. Did you receive the scholarship letter together with the admissions letter in the mail or did the scholarship letter come a few days later?

It comes seperately

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:00 pm

nvoight911 wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:Those of you who were awarded scholarships. Did you receive the scholarship letter together with the admissions letter in the mail or did the scholarship letter come a few days later?

It comes seperately

How long did it take for yours to arrive?

I'm expecting (hoping) to get some money, but I received my acceptance letter yesterday and it didn't have any scholarship info.

nvoight911

Postby nvoight911 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:31 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:

It comes seperately

How long did it take for yours to arrive?

I'm expecting (hoping) to get some money, but I received my acceptance letter yesterday and it didn't have any scholarship info.

I was accepted in October and got the scholarship right around Christmas.

joonix

Postby joonix » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:34 pm

In... 3.0/161.

Very fast turnaround on the decision. I applied Jan 8th and heard today. I wish other schools were as fast.

Also, the email was not an acceptance -- it just gives you your ID for the status checker, but when you login it says "Congrats, accepted." So treat that email like a possible decision.

snaps

Postby snaps » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:35 pm

anyone else going to the admitted student's day on march 27th? i plan on being there!

ajrm116

Postby ajrm116 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:49 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:

I got $23k/year with the same numbers in December

joonix

Postby joonix » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:51 pm

ajrm116 wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:

what is the performance stipulation on these scholarships?

tbx59

Postby tbx59 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:52 pm

In today - quick turnaround - Applied Jan 5th; 2nd letter didn't process until FRIDAY; saturday in the snail mail got a card saying no second letter; emailed them stating it just got processed, accepted today, not bad
3.18, 167 ----- 1 down, 21 to go.

kbigs

Postby kbigs » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:21 pm

In today via the U Miami website. Was setting up my UM online account user name and password. When I logged in I was surprised to see the acceptance letter. Bittersweet acceptance though. A family member got laid off from a Biglaw firm in Manhattan. CRAPSCICLES!!!

nvoight911

Postby nvoight911 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:30 pm

joonix wrote:
ajrm116 wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:

what is the performance stipulation on these scholarships?

a 3.0. On their website message board, they throw out the stat that about 85% of recipients hold onto to their scholarships

acfrahm

Postby acfrahm » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:13 pm

snaps wrote:anyone else going to the admitted student's day on march 27th? i plan on being there!

My buddies and I had a trip planned to Miami that week and I just realized that admitted students day is the 27th. I'm gonna force myself to take a day off of drinking on the beach to go see the school. Anyone else planning on going to ASW?

Blakkout

Postby Blakkout » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:04 pm

nvoight911 wrote:
a 3.0. On their website message board, they throw out the stat that about 85% of recipients hold onto to their scholarships

I've heard it's harder than it seems. One student told me they stack all the students with scholarships in the same sections and just let them fight it out with the curve.

joonix

Postby joonix » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:31 pm

Blakkout wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:

I've heard it's harder than it seems. One student told me they stack all the students with scholarships in the same sections and just let them fight it out with the curve.

what a TTT move

marqban

Postby marqban » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Blakkout wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:

It's not just to let them fight it out with the curve... What the U does is promise X amount of students cash up-front on the condition that they maintain a 3.0. Then they put all those students in the same section, basically guaranteeing that not all of them will earn a 3.0 and thus will lose their scholarships (it's a curve, after all). If you're in this boat, you lose your scholarship, and since you probably can't transfer since you couldn't even maintain a 3.0 at UM (transfer to a better school, that is) you end up staying two more years paying their ridiculous tuition. Meanwhile, someone in the non-scholarship section, who probably worked less and is less smart as you, ends up getting a better grade on the same class because of the brain drain in that section. That's fucked up!

So IMO, it's a business decision on UM's part where they offer X amount of dollars up front to get people to attend UM and end up paying less than X dollars in the end.

Anyone considering accepting this kind of offer from the U should weigh their options carefully.
Last edited by marqban on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

joonix

Postby joonix » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:01 am

marqban wrote:
Blakkout wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:

It's not just to let them fight it out with the curve... What the U does is promise X amount of students cash up-front on the condition that they maintain a 3.0. Then they put all those students in the same section, basically guaranteeing that not all of them will earn a 3.0 and thus will lose their scholarships (it's a curve, after all). If you're in this boat, you lose your scholarship, and since you probably can't transfer since you couldn't even maintain a 3.0 at UM (transfer to a better school, that is) you end up staying two more years paying their ridiculous tuition. Meanwhile, someone in the non-scholarship section, who probably worked less and is less smarter than you, ends up getting a better grade on the same class because of the brain drain in that section. That's fucked up!

So IMO, it's a business decision on UM's part where they offer X amount of dollars up front to get people to attend UM and end up paying less than X dollars in the end.

Anyone considering accepting this kind of offer from the U should weigh their options carefully.

??

thats precisely the definition of "letting them fight it out with the curve"

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:06 am

Wow this really scares me. I got into miami with a scholarship and 164/3.43. It is the only school I have heard from so far. This just seems sort of sketchy to me. You would also think that it would make for some really upset future alumni.

midrangejumper

Postby midrangejumper » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:14 am

god this board has destroyed UF and miami to me :?

marqban

Postby marqban » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:19 am

joonix wrote:
marqban wrote:
Blakkout wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:

It's not just to let them fight it out with the curve... What the U does is promise X amount of students cash up-front on the condition that they maintain a 3.0. Then they put all those students in the same section, basically guaranteeing that not all of them will earn a 3.0 and thus will lose their scholarships (it's a curve, after all). If you're in this boat, you lose your scholarship, and since you probably can't transfer since you couldn't even maintain a 3.0 at UM (transfer to a better school, that is) you end up staying two more years paying their ridiculous tuition. Meanwhile, someone in the non-scholarship section, who probably worked less and is less smarter than you, ends up getting a better grade on the same class because of the brain drain in that section. That's fucked up!

??

thats precisely the definition of "letting them fight it out with the curve"

The phrase "fighting it out with the curve" has nothing to do with scholarship implications, necessarily. You pretty much have to fight it out with the curve at any respectable UG or LS regardless of your scholarship status.

My explanation lays out what IMO happens at UM -- explicitly -- and thus adds value to anyone reading it. "?? thats precisely the definition of letting them fight it out with the curve" adds no value whatsoever to this discussion.
Last edited by marqban on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

kbigs

Postby kbigs » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 am

marqban wrote:
Blakkout wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:

Is this legit?

marqban

Postby marqban » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:01 am

kbigs wrote:
marqban wrote:
Blakkout wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:

Is this legit?

I'd like to know too. What I wrote above is just my interpretation/opinion. Would love to hear others opinions.

Also, the deal UM makes is not bad for everyone -- just for those that can't make a 3.0 in the brainiac section. Does anyone know how many students or what percentage don't make a 3.0 in this section?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”