In at Miami!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alibaba286

Re: In at Miami!

Postby alibaba286 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:23 pm

i'll be down in coconut grove, if anyone is looking for a fun group to hang out with, i have non-law-school friends who probably know how to do things besides obsessively refresh status checkers! ;)

nvoight911

Postby nvoight911 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:48 am

j99usa wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:Just got the 23K offer. After getting deferred by GMU, it makes me think hard right now about Miami as money is going to be important for me. I'm definitely going to have to give the school a visit and see what I think about the area. Good luck to everyone else!

That's what I'm gonna do. I'm taking a trip down there in 2 weeks :)

Also heading to Miami in two weeks. What day are you visiting?

The 6th. I'll be there from the 5th-8th, then I'm heading to Toronto from the 8th-11th!

mgabelma

Postby mgabelma » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:59 am

Does anyone know if Miami provides any sort of travel stipend for the asw in April?

Helena22

Postby Helena22 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:01 pm

aw.. Im heading down to south FL pretty much now.. staying til the 6th.. will definitely have to visit

meerap

Postby meerap » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:50 pm

I got accepted a while back... maybe mid-November, but still havent received any word of scholarships yet. Does this maybe mean Im not getting any money from them?! I would love to go to Miami (especially after these crazy Chicago winter storms!), but only if they threw some money my way. Anybody else in the same boat as me??

j99usa

Postby j99usa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:51 pm

nvoight911 wrote:
j99usa wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:Just got the 23K offer. After getting deferred by GMU, it makes me think hard right now about Miami as money is going to be important for me. I'm definitely going to have to give the school a visit and see what I think about the area. Good luck to everyone else!

That's what I'm gonna do. I'm taking a trip down there in 2 weeks :)

Also heading to Miami in two weeks. What day are you visiting?

The 6th. I'll be there from the 5th-8th, then I'm heading to Toronto from the 8th-11th!

Dude,

Seriously... that's freaky. I'm headed to Miami from the 5th-8th and will be visiting on the 6th as well. Then I'm going to New Hampshire and Boston from the 8th-11th. We should do lunch or something when visiting. I set my visit for 1pm. OH, and I'm also a WI guy hehe

chitown825

Postby chitown825 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:09 pm

Congrats to all in at Miami. It's all about the U!

rainmaker614

Postby rainmaker614 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:10 pm

meerap wrote:I got accepted a while back... maybe mid-November, but still havent received any word of scholarships yet. Does this maybe mean Im not getting any money from them?! I would love to go to Miami (especially after these crazy Chicago winter storms!), but only if they threw some money my way. Anybody else in the same boat as me??

I'm in the same boat. The school is too expensive to consider without $$. Plus I hate the insane humidity of Miami. Love the diversity though.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:56 am

mgabelma wrote:Does anyone know if Miami provides any sort of travel stipend for the asw in April?

They said they couldn't afford to b/c they give the money out in form of scholarships

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:56 am

alibaba286 wrote:i'll be down in coconut grove, if anyone is looking for a fun group to hang out with, i have non-law-school friends who probably know how to do things besides obsessively refresh status checkers! ;)

I'm thinking about taking a year off. What did you do during your year off?

labellavita

Postby labellavita » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:35 pm

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I had to respond because I feel as though I understand what you're going through right now. I graduated from UGA this past May and I am currently in the middle of my "year off." Before I graduated I was so gung ho about going to LS for the 2008 cycle, but ultimately, I knew I wasn't ready. My LSAT wasn't where I wanted it, and I didn't even have money for applications. So I decided to take a year off which seemed like the end of the world...I thought a year was soooo long and had no idea what I'd do. Well...I cannot encourage you to take a year off enough! It hasn't even been a year yet for me and I have benefited greatly. Time has flown by since May. I have a little money saved and I'm paying off my credit card debt, taking little trips w/ friends whenever I want (when I can get off work), buying things I couldn't buy as a piss poor college student, and having fun. I got an intern-type job at a top firm and I now have a better idea as to what kind of law I want to practice, have done some pro bono work, law app fees are no longer a huge deal, etc. Taking time off has been very beneficial for me personally. I'm going to Costa Rica for a week with my best friend next month just because....something I would never have been able to do in school. Taking a year off is not the end of the world, I promise. Law school will be around in a year :)

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:48 pm

labellavita wrote:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I had to respond because I feel as though I understand what you're going through right now. I graduated from UGA this past May and I am currently in the middle of my "year off." Before I graduated I was so gung ho about going to LS for the 2008 cycle, but ultimately, I knew I wasn't ready. My LSAT wasn't where I wanted it, and I didn't even have money for applications. So I decided to take a year off which seemed like the end of the world...I thought a year was soooo long and had no idea what I'd do. Well...I cannot encourage you to take a year off enough! It hasn't even been a year yet for me and I have benefited greatly. Time has flown by since May. I have a little money saved and I'm paying off my credit card debt, taking little trips w/ friends whenever I want (when I can get off work), buying things I couldn't buy as a piss poor college student, and having fun. I got an intern-type job at a top firm and I now have a better idea as to what kind of law I want to practice, have done some pro bono work, law app fees are no longer a huge deal, etc. Taking time off has been very beneficial for me personally. I'm going to Costa Rica for a week with my best friend next month just because....something I would never have been able to do in school. Taking a year off is not the end of the world, I promise. Law school will be around in a year :)

Thanks so much for your input! I've been accepted to 3 schools so far. I want to go to UGA but I don't know if they will let me defer for a year ya know. If they do let me defer I really am thinking of taking a year off and doing just like you did and get my finances in order first and foremost. Even if I could find an admin job just to get money coming in. I'm just worried about what UGA will consider a worthy enough reason to let me defer!

alibaba286

Postby alibaba286 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:03 pm

how i spent my summer vacation--eh, year off from school:

summer 08: worked two jobs, saved lots of money. i live in a resort town where the economy shuts off in the winter, so my best chances for making money come between memorial day and labor day weekend.

fall 08: took a community college class just for fun and to keep my brain occupied, worked a few days a week, studied for the LSAT much more effectively than i did last year while taking a full course load and working 30 hours a week, drove around the east coast visiting friends (one of the most worthwhile parts of my time off).

now: road-tripping to key west, FL with about a dozen stops down and back. seeing friends, visiting family, doing some volunteer work. shut off the email on the crackberry, taking it easy on the status checker. so far, we've hit cape may, DC, savannah, and some family along the east coast of FL. next it's south beach!

it's been the best thing EVER.

bella16

Postby bella16 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:11 pm

alibaba286 wrote:how i spent my summer vacation--eh, year off from school:

summer 08: worked two jobs, saved lots of money. i live in a resort town where the economy shuts off in the winter, so my best chances for making money come between memorial day and labor day weekend.

fall 08: took a community college class just for fun and to keep my brain occupied, worked a few days a week, studied for the LSAT much more effectively than i did last year while taking a full course load and working 30 hours a week, drove around the east coast visiting friends (one of the most worthwhile parts of my time off).

now: road-tripping to key west, FL with about a dozen stops down and back. seeing friends, visiting family, doing some volunteer work. shut off the email on the crackberry, taking it easy on the status checker. so far, we've hit cape may, DC, savannah, and some family along the east coast of FL. next it's south beach!

it's been the best thing EVER.

Ugh that sounds lovely!!! If UGA lets me defer I'm def taking a year off and just saving up money (with vacations here and there I hope)!

Blakkout

Postby Blakkout » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:42 pm

Anyone know anything about the curve at Miami? How hard is it to keep the 3.0 required to hold onto that scholarship?

Helena22

Postby Helena22 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:14 pm

after partying in South Beach the last week I have come to the conclusion that absolutely nothing would get done if I were to go to Miami.

nvoight911

Postby nvoight911 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:23 pm

Helena22 wrote:after partying in South Beach the last week I have come to the conclusion that absolutely nothing would get done if I were to go to Miami.

6 more days til I get to do the same thing :)

PTask

Postby PTask » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:29 am

I got an email to set up an account and got the online acceptance page about two weeks ago.

Do they also send out a snail mail packet? If so how long did it take to get to you? Also what kind of numbers do those of you receiving scholarship offers have?

Thanks

Oh I also went to U Miami undergrad for a year before transferring so if you have questions about the school or the area i am very familiar with it

smalco02

Postby smalco02 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:54 pm

Blakkout wrote:Anyone know anything about the curve at Miami? How hard is it to keep the 3.0 required to hold onto that scholarship?

I've heard (directly from UM) that 80-85% of students maintain their scholarships after the first year. But the comment by JuryDueT earlier in the thread about all the scholly students being put into the same section is a little scary...does anyone have any more info on this?

abraun5

Postby abraun5 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:19 pm

To those people that got scholarship offers from miami, did it come in your acceptance letter or did you receive a separate letter from them? If you got a different letter how long after did it come from when you got your acceptance?

Also, has anyone had any luck asking for $$ ? I was thinking about asking Miami to match some scholarship offers that I have received from similar ranked schools.

kow613

Postby kow613 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:08 pm

I have not recieved a scholarship letter, but from what I have been reading it comes in the mail around 2 weeks after you recieve your paper acceptance. These numbers might be thrown off by the holidays.

nvoight911

Postby nvoight911 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:38 pm

PTask wrote:I got an email to set up an account and got the online acceptance page about two weeks ago.

Do they also send out a snail mail packet? If so how long did it take to get to you? Also what kind of numbers do those of you receiving scholarship offers have?

Thanks

Oh I also went to U Miami undergrad for a year before transferring so if you have questions about the school or the area i am very familiar with it

160/3.73

bella16

Postby bella16 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:34 am

I got an email a week before christmas and then the offical letter just a couple of days after that. That Tuesday before xmas I believe.

nvoight911

Postby nvoight911 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:07 am

bella16 wrote:I got an email a week before christmas and then the offical letter just a couple of days after that. That Tuesday before xmas I believe.

Same here

geoanthem

Postby geoanthem » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:26 pm

First acceptance with scholarship. Stats were 3.43/164. Good luck everyone!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”