In at Miami! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LSATahhhh

New

Re: In at Miami!

Post by LSATahhhh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:50 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
marqban wrote:
KP429 wrote:You don't use public transportation in Miami.
Pretty much the poorest of the poor in Miami are the ones that use public transportation, except in downtown where everyone uses the metromover. A car is a must.

Are u from Miami?

these people are right. you need a car.

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:33 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
marqban wrote:
Pretty much the poorest of the poor in Miami are the ones that use public transportation, except in downtown where everyone uses the metromover. A car is a must.

Are u from Miami?
Yup! Born and raised!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:57 pm

marqban wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
marqban wrote:

Are u from Miami?
Yup! Born and raised!

Cool! What undergrad did you go to?

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:23 pm

Congratulations to all those who just found out they've been accepted!

I have another question -- so it seems that Miami's turnaround time is ridiculously fast, but how long ago did you all apply? My app just went in on 1/5 so I'm figuring that I have to wait a while longer.

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:29 pm

holmesNYC wrote:Congratulations to all those who just found out they've been accepted!

I have another question -- so it seems that Miami's turnaround time is ridiculously fast, but how long ago did you all apply? My app just went in on 1/5 so I'm figuring that I have to wait a while longer.
Applied: December 12
Decision: December 23

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:37 pm

marqban wrote:
holmesNYC wrote:Congratulations to all those who just found out they've been accepted!

Thank you. Holy shite. I like this school more and more. No need in wasting anyone's time, right? Though their application was annoying as hell and if they're barely reading it that is so frustrating! Especially the writing experience section. I had to go through old files and look up dates of article publication. Oh well, as long as they let me in. My SO has some good job opportunities in the area so I'm really considering Miami now, whereas before I wasn't so sure.

EDIT: overkill on the word "annoying"

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:41 pm

holmesNYC wrote:
marqban wrote:

Thank you. Holy shite. I like this school more and more. No need in wasting anyone's time, right? Though their application was annoying as hell and if they're barely reading it that is so frustrating! Especially the writing experience section. I had to go through old files and look up dates of article publication. Oh well, as long as they let me in. My SO has some good job opportunities in the area so I'm really considering Miami now, whereas before I wasn't so sure.

EDIT: overkill on the word "annoying"
All of my dealings with the school have been incredibly efficient, from the application, to the scholarship process, to the campus tour I had on Tuesday. I have been very impressed thus far.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Applied Sept. 15
File complete: Dec.20
Report Sent: Jan.5
Decision: Jan. 9

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 pm

nvoight911 wrote: All of my dealings with the school have been incredibly efficient, from the application, to the scholarship process, to the campus tour I had on Tuesday. I have been very impressed thus far.
If they throw some money at me, I may be sold. Sometime just before midnight on 1/4 I realized their scholly deadline was 1/5, so I stayed up late and worked on it to make sure I sent it in time! I don't even know what they would give me. I haven't heard back from any other schools yet since I've only applied last week. My LSAT is above Miami's median but not at the 75%, and my GPA is exactly at the 25%. That being said, I am non-trad -- I'll be 31 when I start school, have a lot of interesting work experience, so hopefully my GPA doesn't count for as much. I'm also GLBT if that counts for anything towards diversity. Who knows. I think I'm going to be a nervous wreck until I get my first acceptance, at which point I'll breathe a sigh of relief because I'll know I'm definitely going to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:04 pm

holmesNYC wrote:
nvoight911 wrote: All of my dealings with the school have been incredibly efficient, from the application, to the scholarship process, to the campus tour I had on Tuesday. I have been very impressed thus far.
If they throw some money at me, I may be sold. Sometime just before midnight on 1/4 I realized their scholly deadline was 1/5, so I stayed up late and worked on it to make sure I sent it in time! I don't even know what they would give me. I haven't heard back from any other schools yet since I've only applied last week. My LSAT is above Miami's median but not at the 75%, and my GPA is exactly at the 25%. That being said, I am non-trad -- I'll be 31 when I start school, have a lot of interesting work experience, so hopefully my GPA doesn't count for as much. I'm also GLBT if that counts for anything towards diversity. Who knows. I think I'm going to be a nervous wreck until I get my first acceptance, at which point I'll breathe a sigh of relief because I'll know I'm definitely going to law school.

When you say applying, do you mean applying for a scholarship or for the school. I do not think you have to apply for the scholarship. They're automatically given to you based on your merits. Please, clarify because I may have misunderstood your post.

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:10 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
When you say applying, do you mean applying for a scholarship or for the school. I do not think you have to apply for the scholarship. They're automatically given to you based on your merits. Please, clarify because I may have misunderstood your post.
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. Their priority deadline for any sort of scholarship consideration is 1/5. It's not a separate application or anything like that.

From their site: "Your application will be sent to the Committee as soon as all required documents have been received. If you wish to be considered for scholarships, completion of your file by January 5, 2009 is strongly advised."

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:22 pm

holmesNYC wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone. Their priority deadline for any sort of scholarship consideration is 1/5. It's not a separate application or anything like that.

From their site: "Your application will be sent to the Committee as soon as all required documents have been received. If you wish to be considered for scholarships, completion of your file by January 5, 2009 is strongly advised."

Ah OK. thanks for the clarification.

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:39 pm

my first acceptance! in at miami! 12 days after sending in my application...

156/3.55

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:48 pm

snaps wrote:my first acceptance! in at miami! 12 days after sending in my application...

156/3.55
Congrats!!!

If only people in Miami walked as fast as their U turns applications around... sigh.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:07 pm

marqban wrote:
snaps wrote:my first acceptance! in at miami! 12 days after sending in my application...

156/3.55
Congrats!!!

If only people in Miami walked as fast as their U turns applications around... sigh.

Agreed!

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:22 pm

156/3.55
Congrats!

Phone call? Email? Status Checker?

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Ahhh, I just logged in to the myUM status checker thingy.

Instead of listing my email address like it used to, it now says:

You do not currently have a UM e-mail alias. Please contact Information Technology to correct this problem.

What does it meeeeannn? aghhh.

I'm thinking maybe I'm accepted and they can now create a @miami.edu account for me?

OR --

They took my regular email address out of the database because I was denied and won't be attending.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:27 pm

holmesNYC wrote:Ahhh, I just logged in to the myUM status checker thingy.

You do not currently have a UM e-mail alias. Please contact Information Technology to correct this problem.

I'm thinking maybe I'm accepted and they can now create a @miami.edu account for me?

OR --

They took my regular email address out of the database because I was denied and won't be attending.

Thoughts? Anyone?
Same thing happened to me and I got in.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:29 pm

does anyone know any Miami 1L's that wouldn't mind posting a "Miami 1L taking questions" thread??

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:29 pm

marqban wrote: Same thing happened to me and I got in.
Really? Thanks! Sounds promising! How much later did you find out you were accepted?

snaps

New

Post by snaps » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:30 pm

i got an email that said this :

As a University of Miami School of Law applicant, it is important for
you to know your UM identification number. Your UM ID allows you
access to data while protecting the privacy of your Social Security
number. Your UM ID is assigned by the University of Miami and can
be used to identify yourself and create an account in the University
Portal, myUM. Once you have established your UM account, you may
use it to view important admissions and other information. If you
already have established an account in my UM, there is no need
to repeat the process.

Your UM ID is: ---

(the email was sent at 5:25 am so it must have been automated?)

then i logged in, and it led me to a page that said this:

It is our pleasure to inform you that you have been admitted to The University of Miami School of Law. Please accept our warm welcome into the University of Miami family.

i had not been contacted before about any kind of status checker, and i thought this was an email doing just that. so when i saw a big CONGRATULATIONS, i sat there kind of stunned like it must be a mistake.

good luck! i hope you hear soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:37 pm

snaps wrote: good luck! i hope you hear soon.
Thanks, and congrats to you! This would be my first acceptance as well.

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:43 pm

marqban wrote:
holmesNYC wrote:Ahhh, I just logged in to the myUM status checker thingy.

OR --

Thoughts? Anyone?
Same thing happened to me and I got in.
Same here

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:45 pm

nvoight911 wrote:Same here

Sorry to pester you, but how long after this did you find out?

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:47 pm

holmesNYC wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:Same here

Sorry to pester you, but how long after this did you find out?

I was accepted by the time I got my um login email (which was on 10/13).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”