In at Miami! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawboundscgal

New

Re: In at Miami!

Post by lawboundscgal » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:21 pm

You beat me to the topic! Anyways, I like the idea of the paper, however I'm not too keen on the idea of having less time in other classes in order to focus on integrating the other classes into elements...seems like a disadvantage in terms of succeeding in the other classes. However, the thought of having one less final to study for sounds good.

I don't know, hard decision...

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:34 pm

lawboundscgal wrote:You beat me to the topic! Anyways, I like the idea of the paper, however I'm not too keen on the idea of having less time in other classes in order to focus on integrating the other classes into elements...seems like a disadvantage in terms of succeeding in the other classes. However, the thought of having one less final to study for sounds good.
No kidding! I'm also worried that the fourth week off might throw us off. It doesn't sound like getting your preferences in first will guarantee anything, so we have a few days to think about it.

macar

New

Post by macar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:00 am

nightlight wrote:
lawboundscgal wrote:You beat me to the topic! Anyways, I like the idea of the paper, however I'm not too keen on the idea of having less time in other classes in order to focus on integrating the other classes into elements...seems like a disadvantage in terms of succeeding in the other classes. However, the thought of having one less final to study for sounds good.
No kidding! I'm also worried that the fourth week off might throw us off. It doesn't sound like getting your preferences in first will guarantee anything, so we have a few days to think about it.

hmm hard choice... Elements was discussed @Law Day by alumni; i don't know if any of you remember, but it was described as abstract, hard and made no sense to anyone... lol

i also found this online: "The vast majority of lawyers, and even Miami Alumni, have no idea what Elements is, yet Miami makes every student take it."

http://www.discourse.net/archives/2009/ ... f_law.html

macar

New

Post by macar » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:02 am

FYI - Boyk1182 started a new thread with a poll...

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w=viewpoll

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Is anyone moving to Miami before classes start while still actively pursuing waitlists at other schools? If so, what were you planning to do as far as housing? I'm thinking of subletting a place for August, riding out a couple of waitlists, then come end of August securing a long-term lease if I don't wind up hearing from other schools.

Anyone have any advice regarding this type of situation?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:59 pm

kbigs wrote:Is anyone moving to Miami before classes start while still actively pursuing waitlists at other schools? If so, what were you planning to do as far as housing? I'm thinking of subletting a place for August, riding out a couple of waitlists, then come end of August securing a long-term lease if I don't wind up hearing from other schools.

I am, but I'm just going to take a huge loss if I get into FSU. I signed a long term lease at a really expensive place in Miami, but it'll be cheaper in the long run to end the lease early and pay in-state tuition at FSU 8)

Kobewinsring

New

Post by Kobewinsring » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Does anyone have the feeling that every student or most is going to be gunning to transfer after the 1st year at Miami? I talked to a few and they got not funds like me.

I am sure no one wants to be paying 40 k plus for 3 years. I feel its going to very competitive

Kobewinsring

New

Post by Kobewinsring » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:47 pm

kbigs wrote:Is anyone moving to Miami before classes start while still actively pursuing waitlists at other schools? If so, what were you planning to do as far as housing? I'm thinking of subletting a place for August, riding out a couple of waitlists, then come end of August securing a long-term lease if I don't wind up hearing from other schools.

Why would a school take you off a wait list when school starts in less then a month? That just seems like less then a 1 percent chance. i could be wrong

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:14 am

Kobewinsring wrote:

Why would a school take you off a wait list when school starts in less then a month? That just seems like less then a 1 percent chance. i could be wrong
I know some schools do for sure... as people get off of waitlists, they withdraw from their school, which opens up a spot at that school (forcing them to go to their waitlist)... I think the chances of getting accepted from a waitlist in August are pretty decent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Alright, hopefully someone on here can help me out...

I got the email today about how we can go to MyUM now and pay first semester's tuition. When I log on there, it shows that I owe roughly $8,000. I was in the military and I'm using the GI Bill to pay for most of tuition, and I can't figure out if that's been factored in to what I have to pay yet or not. I won't pay until that's taken into account.

I was wondering if someone from this thread could PM me whatever it says they owe (I would assume it would say someone not using the GI Bill would owe around $19,000?). It seems as if the GI Bill has been set up (because I owe a lot less than what tuition is), but I can't figure this out! I call UM and get transferred all over the place, and then call the people that should know and nobody picks up the phone...

If someone doesn't mind sharing that info I'd really appreciate it!!

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:09 pm

Weird. I had the same issue, but financial aid picked up and told me exactly what to do. My problem was that I hadn't signed the mpn, completed the loan entrance counseling, or chosen a lender yet.

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Yea, if I was using loans I think it would be a pretty smooth process. It's just nobody knows anything about the GI Bill, so I'm having to do a lot of legwork and phone calls to try to get this to work :?

Kobewinsring

New

Post by Kobewinsring » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:33 pm

Is anyone shocked by how hot almost every miami law female student is? On the orirentation facebook page you have girls in bikinis, This is one reason i did not want to go to miami. It seems like the number 1 distraction place for a law student in the world.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

macar

New

Post by macar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:10 am

Kobewinsring wrote:Is anyone shocked by how hot almost every miami law female student is? On the orirentation facebook page you have girls in bikinis, This is one reason i did not want to go to miami. It seems like the number 1 distraction place for a law student in the world.

screamandyell

New

Post by screamandyell » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:33 am

Hi all,

i was in town this week to find a place to live. i'm singing the lease at the University Inn, but i have 2 pretty good leads for fully furnsihed places for those who don't have a place yet.

1 place in coral gables residential area, at Alhambra circle and Robbia, 6 blocks from law school building. 1/1 apartment in the cottage in the back of the house for 725. efficiency kitchen, no decent TV, but there is everythis else. very quite and secluded place. she prefers people with no car.

another place in a master bedroom and bath in a 2/2 for 895 but the owners are motivated. SW27th st. it's a small apartment and the room is pretty small but it's nice and been rennovated 3 months ago. the apartmnet is fully furnished and equipted. tv in the living room and another flat screen in your room + dvd player. There is a sophmore UM student who runs track (male) who lived here for 2 years now. 3-5 mintures from the grove station, 10-15 from coco walk. someone with a car will be much happier there than me (i don't have a car).

if you're interested, PM me, and i'll give you the numbers to call.

lawschlapplicant

New

Post by lawschlapplicant » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:36 am

Any out-of-state students attending UM bringing their car? If so, I have a few questions for you guys:

- Did you register your car in the state of FL? (change license plates to FL)

- Did you get a FL drivers license?

I was wondering what the protocol is for out-of-state FL students.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Kobewinsring

New

Post by Kobewinsring » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Is anyone staying at the Valencia? These guys have made me sign a 1000 documents it seems. Now it is some escalator fee. I thought that what was the deposit was for?

I kind of wished i stayed at some place cheaper. I will be at the library to 11 or whenever it closes anyways.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jtgain

New

Post by jtgain » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:03 pm

lawschlapplicant wrote:Any out-of-state students attending UM bringing their car? If so, I have a few questions for you guys:

- Did you register your car in the state of FL? (change license plates to FL)

- Did you get a FL drivers license?

I was wondering what the protocol is for out-of-state FL students.

Thank you in advance for your help!
FL resident here: That choice would be yours. You could declare your residency to be FL, or keep it in your home state.

A couple of things to consider: No FL state income tax. No personal property tax on your car. No vehicle inspection requirements.

I don't know if your home state has those things or not, but it could be big savings in that department.

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:16 pm

Is there a Facebook group yet for section F??

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Boyk1182 wrote:Is there a Facebook group yet for section F??
Probably. If not, make one!

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:42 pm

nightlight wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:Is there a Facebook group yet for section F??
Probably. If not, make one!
Yea.. I will if nobody responds here with a link.......

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

samiam123

New

Post by samiam123 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 pm

hey first post here-

my caneid says "view admissions documents needed" under "admissions">>>this normal?where would it say accepted if thats the decision?

CKuleba

New

Post by CKuleba » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:37 am

Waitlisted! I don't know if I should be happy or sad but at least its not a ding.

Stryka

New

Post by Stryka » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:03 pm

Is the status checker actually supposed to say anything when you log in?

UPDATE: Just called to see why nothing was being displayed and the lady checked my account and said in two days...March 4th, I'll be able to see my status...I asked if she knew what my status was, but I guess that's the day they will update more people? Kind of weird how she knows my status will be updated on a certain day, but doesn't know what it is? Or maybe not...

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:51 pm

Just withdrew and had 23k per year, hope that goes to someone on here. Good luck everyone!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”