In at Miami! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KLeigh

New

Re: In at Miami!

Post by KLeigh » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:47 am

rbgrocio wrote: If you decide to go to Miami and you are staying in Coral Gables, then you have a lot of hangout places around. Even if you dedicate most of your time to law school, every now and then you will want to go to places and get to know South Florida, specially if you are not from here. You need a car to do those things. I wouldn't recommend you taking the metrorail late at night. Parking is a mess everywhere in Miami!!! MAke sure you always have some quarters for the metered parking :wink:
I can attest to all of this, as well. My boyfriend lives in Miami and had trouble shiping his car there so he was car-less for a few weeks right after he moved. He was in a hotel literally 3 walking minutes away from his office and not having a car was still a problem (groceries, looking for a place, furniture, the works.) Now he lives on South Beach and had problems getting to and from work when he was car-less for another week a few months ago. It's just not fun.

Also, yes there are some cool things to do that are in walking distance, but there are even better things to do when you can drive further. Most of the fun, somewhat touristy things we've done were definitely too far to walk to, but not very far when driving. So, though unfortunate because parking is so atrocious and people are generally horrible drivers down there, I would DEFINITELY recommend having a car.

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 pm

marqban wrote:Miami accepted me three weeks before sending me an acceptance package or sending me any e-mails whatsoever. I found out by creating a profile for myself at https://myum.miami.edu/. A few days after my account was created I logged in and saw a congratulatory message. It's the closest thing UM offers to a status checker. Good luck!
Great tip, thank you! I just signed up and now can begin obsessively checking!!

Question -- how long did it take between the time you went complete and the time you logged in and saw you had been accepted?

bella16

Bronze

Post by bella16 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:13 pm

holmesNYC wrote:
marqban wrote:Miami accepted me three weeks before sending me an acceptance package or sending me any e-mails whatsoever. I found out by creating a profile for myself at https://myum.miami.edu/. A few days after my account was created I logged in and saw a congratulatory message. It's the closest thing UM offers to a status checker. Good luck!

Question -- how long did it take between the time you went complete and the time you logged in and saw you had been accepted?
Roughly a week.

holmesNYC

New

Post by holmesNYC » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:24 pm

bella16 wrote:
holmesNYC wrote:

Roughly a week.

Whatttt? Wow, that's fast!

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:29 pm

bella16 wrote:
holmesNYC wrote:

Roughly a week.
11 days for me from the moment I submitted via LSAC to the moment I logged in and saw my decision. I hear they don't spend too much time reading applications, which is weird since they ask a bunch of short-essay type questions on their app. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:11 pm

If you call, they can check your status for you. That's what I did, and they told me I was accepted.

My numbers:

GPA: 3.7
LSAT: 158
URM
Soft factors are good, and I think my PS was really good (one of my teachers, who also went to law school thought it was good too)

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:23 pm

i just got RBG's advice and called in....

ACCEPTED!

155/3.77 non urm

project40

New

Post by project40 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:26 pm

midrangejumper wrote:i just got RBG's advice and called in....

ACCEPTED!

155/3.77 non urm
wait so just to clear things up...

your my UM login doesnt say accepted but when you called they said you were?

i may have to call lol

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:28 pm

project40 wrote:

ACCEPTED!

155/3.77 non urm

i may have to call lol
my UM login doesn't say anything because she said they just admitted me a few hours ago lol...just call them up the woman was very nice and helpful

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

santdani

New

Post by santdani » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:32 pm

nvoight911 wrote:Yeah I got there from South Beach pretty smoothly, but I will def be brining my car if I go there.
Hey...from the delete thread here...what's IBTL?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:35 pm

project40 wrote:

ACCEPTED!

155/3.77 non urm

i may have to call lol

yeah... OH GOD!!! I'm seeing UM phones. They are not going to stop ringing. lol

The woman is nice and when you call they just ask for SS#, name and date of birth and then they say. Congratulations!! You were just accepted a few hours ago. You will get an email sometime this afternoon.

Maybe I should have told you guys this before. Sorry! :oops:

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:37 pm

santdani wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:Yeah I got there from South Beach pretty smoothly, but I will def be brining my car if I go there.
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/IBTL

santdani

New

Post by santdani » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:39 pm

Boyk1182 wrote:
santdani wrote:
thx/...thought it was just a TLS thing

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:43 pm

santdani wrote:
Boyk1182 wrote:
santdani wrote:
thx/...thought it was just a TLS thing
I won't lie, I googled it when I saw it in that other thread too :wink:

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:29 pm

rbgrocio wrote:If you call, they can check your status for you. That's what I did, and they told me I was accepted.

My numbers:

URM
Soft factors are good, and I think my PS was really good (one of my teachers, who also went to law school thought it was good too)
Did u apply to UF? I hope u did cuz numberswise you're in good shape! Cheaper + more prestigious + better chances of transferring to a T14 after 1L (especially GTown). Congratulations!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:32 pm

marqban wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:If you call, they can check your status for you. That's what I did, and they told me I was accepted.

My numbers:

URM
Did u apply to UF? I hope u did! Cheaper + more prestigious + better chances of transferring to a T14 after 1L(especially GTown). Congratulations!

I did apply, but I can't go there. I'm getting married this summer, and my fiance has a really good job in miami. With the whole economy situation, I do not think he would be able to find something similar in Gainsville. I'm from Miami, and my options are pretty much limited to UM or FIU. It's too bad the schools down here are not so good.

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:+'s: The campus is gorgeous! Plus its right on the metro-rail, making a commute into downtown just a few minutes. The suburb it was in was beautiful as well. The library was bigger and nicer than I expected it to be, and I love the courtyard the law school has. They have an indoor-outdoor fusion thing going on with the law school that is really interesting if you're from other parts of the country. The study abroad program is great from what I could tell, and the florida judicial system allows law students to act as attorneys in court - which U of Miami seems to have seized on. The recruiting director was explaining the program and I was pleasantly surprised.

-'s: Big class size, but on the plus side the sections are only 50 students - pretty standard actually. I also didn't like where the prof's offices are located, and although it was the first day back for law students, I didn't see many doors open. The only other thing I can think of is ranking. They aren't incredibly high up (I think UNWR has them around 80) but their rep. in Florida seems to be outstanding and I'm sure its just like any school outside the T-14.. you have to actually work hard in law school to get a *great* job.
I agree with all of this, although I do think you need a car. I had to wait 45 min for my connecting bus after getting off the Metrorail on the way back. It seems that a lot of buses only run every 45min-1hr. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KP429

Bronze

Post by KP429 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:35 pm

You don't use public transportation in Miami.

nvoight911

Bronze

Post by nvoight911 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:36 pm

KP429 wrote:You don't use public transportation in Miami.
Yeah, I definitely agree after my visit

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:38 pm

nvoight911 wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:+'s: The campus is gorgeous! Plus its right on the metro-rail, making a commute into downtown just a few minutes. The suburb it was in was beautiful as well. The library was bigger and nicer than I expected it to be, and I love the courtyard the law school has. They have an indoor-outdoor fusion thing going on with the law school that is really interesting if you're from other parts of the country. The study abroad program is great from what I could tell, and the florida judicial system allows law students to act as attorneys in court - which U of Miami seems to have seized on. The recruiting director was explaining the program and I was pleasantly surprised.

-'s: Big class size, but on the plus side the sections are only 50 students - pretty standard actually. I also didn't like where the prof's offices are located, and although it was the first day back for law students, I didn't see many doors open. The only other thing I can think of is ranking. They aren't incredibly high up (I think UNWR has them around 80) but their rep. in Florida seems to be outstanding and I'm sure its just like any school outside the T-14.. you have to actually work hard in law school to get a *great* job.
I agree with all of this, although I do think you need a car. I had to wait 45 min for my connecting bus after getting off the Metrorail on the way back. It seems that a lot of buses only run every 45min-1hr. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

Definitely a car!!!! Please, those of you who are planning on coming to Miami, bring a car. You will do yourself a favor. I've lived here for 4 years and without a car... you have no options. You need a car to go out, to go to job interviews, to go grocery shopping. Plus you don't want to be walking at night, unless you live in a really safe neighborhood like Coral Gables (where Um is) or something like that. And even living in a place like that, YOU NEED A CAR!! No question about it.

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:40 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
marqban wrote:

My numbers:

URM
Did u apply to UF? I hope u did! Cheaper + more prestigious + better chances of transferring to a T14 after 1L(especially GTown). Congratulations!

I did apply, but I can't go there. I'm getting married this summer, and my fiance has a really good job in miami. With the whole economy situation, I do not think he would be able to find something similar in Gainsville. I'm from Miami, and my options are pretty much limited to UM or FIU. It's too bad the schools down here are not so good.
You're in good shape at UM (i.e. "THE [|_|]") so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Their football team is improving by the minute so you should be in for some fun games (even though you'll have to travel all the way to North Miami to attend). Again, congratulations, on being admitted and also on the upcoming wedding.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:41 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
nvoight911 wrote:
Yeah, I definitely agree after my visit
+1

only CRAZY people use public transportation down here. I took the bus twice, when I first moved in from Spain, and OH GOD!! NEVER AGAIN!!! I don't know if public transportation has changed much since then, but i do not think so. Plus, keep in mind that in the summer here is like 95 degrees outside. The bus is going to leave at a bus stop and by the time you get to the place you need to go to, you will be a sweaty mess.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:42 pm

marqban wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
marqban wrote:

My numbers:

URM

You're in good shape at UM (i.e. "THE [|_|]") so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Their football team is improving by the minute so you should be in for some fun games (even though you'll have to travel all the way to North Miami to attend). Again, congratulations, on being admitted and also on the upcoming wedding.

Thanks!! :P

marqban

New

Post by marqban » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:43 pm

Pretty much the poorest of the poor in Miami are the ones that use public transportation, except in downtown where everyone uses the metromover. A car is a must.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:49 pm

marqban wrote:
Pretty much the poorest of the poor in Miami are the ones that use public transportation, except in downtown where everyone uses the metromover. A car is a must.

Are u from Miami?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”