Retaking the LSAT for transfer admissions?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
huckabees

Re: Retaking the LSAT for transfer admissions?

Postby huckabees » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:58 pm

LOL, I'm sure they do, but so many people are not going to their first choices.

I know transferring costs Law Review, requires moving, etc., but it doesn't seem to be that big of a hassle, especially given the extreme things that people have done to get into the best possible law school in the first place.

I mean, wouldn't many of us transfer to YLS if we could?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:00 pm

huckabees wrote:
I mean, wouldn't many of us transfer to YLS if we could?

Not I. I'm sure there are those that would though.

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm glad you like your school, and I'm sure a lot of people enjoy where they are too.

Not trying to put down people who don't transfer, but I know that I would consider it if I was WLed at a school I loved and didn't make it off the WL.

thundy84

Postby thundy84 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:19 pm

Aside from liking their current school, transferring often entails that one is at the top of their class and with that usually comes a position on law review. While it is possible to get into law review at the school they want to transfer to via write-ons (and that's if they have it), it's often quite difficult. To some people, that matters a lot. :D

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Yeah, I know losing Law Review would suck, but if the transfer is to YLS or HLS, I feel like making Law Review at those schools doesn't matter so much in the first place.

I don't think transferring up a few spots on the rankings makes much sense, but transferring up 10+ spots might, given that someone had originally wanted to go to that school pretty badly and later had the 1L grades to do it.

Nice avatar, btw.

thundy84

Postby thundy84 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:04 pm

huckabees wrote:Yeah, I know losing Law Review would suck, but if the transfer is to YLS or HLS, I feel like making Law Review at those schools doesn't matter so much in the first place.

I don't think transferring up a few spots on the rankings makes much sense, but transferring up 10+ spots might, given that someone had originally wanted to go to that school pretty badly and later had the 1L grades to do it.

Nice avatar, btw.

I agree with the bolded text - a transfer akin to what Yalie10 did is the type of transfer that I definitely agree with. 8)

(And thanks! re: avatar)

bryguy

Postby bryguy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:31 am

EmmyD wrote:Let's just think about this for a second:

The LSAT score is supposed to predict, to a 30% correlation, your 1L performance.

Suppose you finish 1L and you have your grades in hand... don't 1L grades correlate 100% to 1L performance, thus making them better indicators of legal competence than the LSAT?

I don't how people come up with this shit... retaking the LSAT for transfer yadda yadda.

haha ... the same way you come up with the idea that 1L experience is indicative "legal competence" ... HAHAHA

all in all though ... i agree with the gist of what you are trying to convey!

legal competence ... hahahaha ... woot!

wahoo

Postby wahoo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:03 pm

Reading this thread gives me hope.

AlfredRoy

Postby AlfredRoy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:13 pm

thundy84 wrote:
huckabees wrote:Yeah, I know losing Law Review would suck, but if the transfer is to YLS or HLS, I feel like making Law Review at those schools doesn't matter so much in the first place.

Nice avatar, btw.

I agree with the bolded text - a transfer akin to what Yalie10 did is the type of transfer that I definitely agree with. 8)

(And thanks! re: avatar)

hot avatar. or am i just being lascivious?

Do potential employers look at both class rankings? That from the original and second school?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”