Harvard Waitlist Statistics Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zipzoop

New

Re: Harvard Waitlist Statistics

Post by zipzoop » Wed May 14, 2008 12:57 pm

so in other words you're selfishly hogging a place for people with a genuine interest in attending.

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Wed May 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Yeah so selfish of me...I deserve the place as much as anyone else, and after I reject their offer, if it is extended, another person will get in, so really I'm doing someone else a favor.

Check and mate

zipzoop

New

Post by zipzoop » Wed May 14, 2008 1:54 pm

Check, not mate. The longer the wait until the offer is extended to that hypothetical someone, the greater the chances that that person will not be able to accommodate it for pragmatic reasons (apartment rental, significant other, etc.). In addition, the WL email asks applicants to remain on the list only if they are serious about attending. Given your last post, you are not serious about attending.

sometimes we wear hats

New

Post by sometimes we wear hats » Wed May 14, 2008 1:59 pm

jerry maguire wrote:Yeah so selfish of me...I deserve the place as much as anyone else, and after I reject their offer, if it is extended, another person will get in, so really I'm doing someone else a favor.

Check and mate
I don't see the logic here. How are you doing someone a favor by taking up space on a waitlist when you have zero intention of enrolling? That other person getting in would still be better served by you not wasting Harvard's time. Also, it sounds like a verbal commitment and expression of interest in attending is a large part of getting to an acceptance of the WL. So no, you don't deserve a place as much as anyone else.

zipzoop

New

Post by zipzoop » Wed May 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Now it's check mate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Wed May 14, 2008 2:01 pm

Then that hypothetical person really wasn't serious about attending either, was he?

There is absolutely no problem with staying on a waitlist no matter what my intentions, as the pragmatism of someone accommodating for Harvard is pretty likely. Otherwise, they are remiss themselves on remaining on a WL if they cannot actually attend...

Mate

zipzoop

New

Post by zipzoop » Wed May 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Wow this is annoying. I hereby extricate myself from this. But seriously, holding a spot you don't intend to use is at best a neutral move - a "favor" it's not.

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Wed May 14, 2008 2:04 pm

sometimes we wear hats wrote:
jerry maguire wrote:Yeah so selfish of me...I deserve the place as much as anyone else, and after I reject their offer, if it is extended, another person will get in, so really I'm doing someone else a favor.

Check and mate
I don't see the logic here. How are you doing someone a favor by taking up space on a waitlist when you have zero intention of enrolling? That other person getting in would still be better served by you not wasting Harvard's time. Also, it sounds like a verbal commitment and expression of interest in attending is a large part of getting to an acceptance of the WL. So no, you don't deserve a place as much as anyone else.

I'm helping someone else because I will not accept the offer of admission, meaning someone else will get in. Whereas if I accepted, then they wouldn't. Understand?

It sounds like? It sounds like a school should be interested in me when they offer admission, why should I be interested beyond my application? That alone should show my interest in the school, I don't need to await their phone call day in and day out, putting off plans because of an obsession.

My application has merited a WL spot, like others. So yes, my place is as deserved as anyone elses.

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Wed May 14, 2008 2:05 pm

zipzoop wrote:Wow this is annoying. I hereby extricate myself from this. But seriously, holding a spot you don't intend to use is at best a neutral move - a "favor" it's not.
I'm saying my rejection of their offer is a favor. Keep up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Wed May 14, 2008 2:20 pm

pwnage

Phoenix Wright

New

Post by Phoenix Wright » Wed May 14, 2008 2:21 pm

jerry maguire wrote:
zipzoop wrote:Wow this is annoying. I hereby extricate myself from this. But seriously, holding a spot you don't intend to use is at best a neutral move - a "favor" it's not.
The point I think others are trying to make (or at least the point I will now attempt to make) is that the simple act of staying on the WL at this point, if you have no intention of attending or accepting an offer, is not doing any favors for people who truly are interested.

For example, say you are spot number 20 (arbitrary) on the list, and Harvard makes their second wave of WL offers through the end of this week up until May 16th and the cutoff point is you - Mr #20. Now also suppose that #21 is Johnny C Waiting who really really wants to go to Harvard, but for various other "pragmatic" reasons (to borrow someone else's terminology) must make some other unchangeable decisions by May 16th. So even if you reject the offer within a few days, Johnny C Waiting must give up his waiting position because it's simply too late. Now explain how are you doing him a favor?

zipzoop

New

Post by zipzoop » Wed May 14, 2008 2:24 pm

TITCR

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Wed May 14, 2008 2:27 pm

Phoenix Wright wrote:
jerry maguire wrote:
The point I think others are trying to make (or at least the point I will now attempt to make) is that the simple act of staying on the WL at this point, if you have no intention of attending or accepting an offer, is not doing any favors for people who truly are interested.

For example, say you are spot number 20 (arbitrary) on the list, and Harvard makes their second wave of WL offers through the end of this week up until May 16th and the cutoff point is you - Mr #20. Now also suppose that #21 is Johnny C Waiting who really really wants to go to Harvard, but for various other "pragmatic" reasons (to borrow someone else's terminology) must make some other unchangeable decisions by May 16th. So even if you reject the offer within a few days, Johnny C Waiting must give up his waiting position because it's simply too late. Now explain how are you doing him a favor?

First off, this scenario would never happen because Harvard doesn't rank its WL.
Two, I'm doing #22 a favor, one that she will no doubt do sexual favors for.
Three, we are all acting in our best interest, except that MY best interest helps girl #22.

Pwnd

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Phoenix Wright

New

Post by Phoenix Wright » Wed May 14, 2008 2:27 pm

To add a second point: if you want to be selfish and stay on the list, then so be it. Many people are "every man for themself" and that's a personal thing. But trying to pass it off as doing someone else a favor is the falacy here.

zipzoop

New

Post by zipzoop » Wed May 14, 2008 2:28 pm

What unassailable logic and incisive wit.

Edit: Not directed at you, pheonix
Last edited by zipzoop on Wed May 14, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Wed May 14, 2008 2:29 pm

Glad to see that Harvard WLs the d-bags. [/Runs Away]

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Wed May 14, 2008 2:30 pm

lolz you n00bs are missing the favor.

MY REJECTION OF THEIR OFFER IS ALLOWING ANOTHER PERSON IN OFF THE LIST

the real selfish people are the ones who accept the Harvard offer, taking a spot that someone else could have

I'm the hero here, you diehards are the selfish ones

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Phoenix Wright

New

Post by Phoenix Wright » Wed May 14, 2008 2:34 pm

jerry maguire wrote:
Phoenix Wright wrote:
jerry maguire wrote:

First off, this scenario would never happen because Harvard doesn't rank its WL.
Three, we are all acting in our best interest, except that MY best interest helps girl #22.

Pwnd
1. Your reasoning is flawed. First you dispute the validaty of my waitlist numbering argument, but then you use the numbering system in your own counterargument.

2. Whether or not they actually do number the WL is immaterial anyway; the spirit remains the same if somehow you get in and Johnny C Waiting does not.

serenavanderwoodsen

New

Post by serenavanderwoodsen » Wed May 14, 2008 2:36 pm

I think that's enough. Waitlists are stressful. Everyone has his or her own reasons for making decisions. Can we please keep this thread positive? I like the solidarity aspect; we're all in a tough spot. No need for negativity.

Good luck to everyone still waiting! 8)

SVDW

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Wed May 14, 2008 2:38 pm

For example, say you are spot number 20 (arbitrary) on the list, and Harvard makes their second wave of WL offers through the end of this week up until May 16th and the cutoff point is you - Mr #20. Now also suppose that #21 is Johnny C Waiting who really really wants to go to Harvard, but for various other "pragmatic" reasons (to borrow someone else's terminology) must make some other unchangeable decisions by May 16th. So even if you reject the offer within a few days, Johnny C Waiting must give up his waiting position because it's simply too late. Now explain how are you doing him a favor?[/quote]

Pwnd[/quote]

1. Your reasoning is flawed. First you dispute the validaty of my waitlist numbering argument, but then you use the numbering system in your own counterargument.

2. Whether or not they actually do number the WL is immaterial anyway; the spirit remains the same if somehow you get in and Johnny C Waiting does not.[/quote]

I used your #s to show you how in your own fictional scenario I would still be doing someone a favor

Additionally, Johnny does not get in, but another person will, therefore I am still doing someone a favor

Three, your anime is flawed

jerry maguire

New

Post by jerry maguire » Wed May 14, 2008 2:41 pm

serenavanderwoodsen wrote:I think that's enough. Waitlists are stressful. Everyone has his or her own reasons for making decisions. Can we please keep this thread positive? I like the solidarity aspect; we're all in a tough spot. No need for negativity.

SVDW
who died and made you moderator? i should be commended by my willingness to reject an offer off the WL, yet these jewbags continue their unreasonable bickering.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zipzoop

New

Post by zipzoop » Wed May 14, 2008 2:44 pm

jerry maguire wrote:
serenavanderwoodsen wrote:I think that's enough. Waitlists are stressful. Everyone has his or her own reasons for making decisions. Can we please keep this thread positive? I like the solidarity aspect; we're all in a tough spot. No need for negativity.

SVDW
who died and made you moderator? i should be commended by my willingness to reject an offer off the WL, yet these jewbags continue their unreasonable bickering.
chill out dude.

Phoenix Wright

New

Post by Phoenix Wright » Wed May 14, 2008 2:44 pm

SVDW
Agreed, I have had enough.

Da Stain

Bronze

Post by Da Stain » Wed May 14, 2008 2:45 pm

jerry maguire wrote:

SVDW
Jewbag.... real classy. Prick.....

zipzoop

New

Post by zipzoop » Wed May 14, 2008 2:49 pm

I apologize to all and sundry for starting this argument. It's not my job to point fingers. Let's bring back the optimism!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”