Georgetown Preferred Waiting List

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarita25

Georgetown Preferred Waiting List

Postby sarita25 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:24 pm

I applied very late (two weeks ago) to Georgetown and just got a letter in the mail saying I have been placed within a special group on the Preferred Waiting List. Does anyone know if the special group is standard or if it really is a sign that I might get in?

avram

Re: Georgetown Preferred Waiting List

Postby avram » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:36 pm

I think Georgetown runs two different waitlists, and it's better to be on the "preferred" list. But I also think that they put enough people on the preferred list that your odds of getting off of it aren't much better than they are off waitlists at schools that just maintain one list.

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:38 am

Last edited by gollymolly on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarita25

Postby sarita25 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks, that answers my question! I guess there is a short list, or special group, within the preferred wait list from which they admit people first. Congrats on getting in!

JD1111

Postby JD1111 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Does anyone know how I can tell if I'm on the Preferred Waiting List or the "preferred" Preferred Waiting List?

sarita25

Postby sarita25 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:33 pm

I think the "preferred" preferred list mentions that your name has been placed within a special group on the preferred waiting list. I also think it tells you that "Your application was especially difficult, and, based upon the strength of your application, the Committee has identified you as one of the first applicants we will contact in the event of an opening." It also gives you a particular representative in the Admissions office to contact, not a general email address. Lastly, towards the end of the letter it says that having the special group has been a recent initiative at Georgetown ad that they plan to send out periodic emails to keep you informed of any developments.

It sounds like the letter doesn't require you to do much, instead they give the impression they will be in touch with you - as opposed to you having to definitely tell them you want to be considered. They actually tell you to tell them if you DONT want to be considered.

Hope that helps.

JD1111

Postby JD1111 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:56 pm

Thanks! I guess I'm on the "preferred" preferred. I wrote my contact person asking for any more details and got this reply:

"While it’s really impossible to put odds on your chances of ultimate acceptance, your application was very strong and that’s why you were selected for this preferred group (which isn’t ranked)."

I also said I was planning a visit and he suggested I stop by the FinAid Dept... which has made me unreasonably hopeful (I'm probably reading way too in to this).

bobjr

Postby bobjr » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:28 pm

gollymolly: how were you contacted regarding your acceptance from the waitlist? email/phone/letter?

gollymolly

Postby gollymolly » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Last edited by gollymolly on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maddox

Postby maddox » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:41 pm

ugh i got that email today...PLEASE OH PLEASE GEORGETOWN LET ME IN!!!!!!!

oomk

Postby oomk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm

i also just got a "we might let people off between may 1st and may 15th should spots open up" email that i'm responding to right now. i can't find a way to subtly offer them my soul in exchange for an acceptance.

JD1111

Postby JD1111 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:49 pm

I got the same letter today. I offered my soul in the subject line -- no time for platitudes.

I think they just want to make sure that if they were to accept us, we would definitely attend GULC.

sarita25

Postby sarita25 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:38 pm

Just curious, those of you who got the email today, are you full time, part time, or either?

oomk

Postby oomk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:40 pm

full

JD1111

Postby JD1111 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:10 am

full time.

washdc23

Postby washdc23 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:26 am

Anyone else get an e-mail form admissions yesterday?

abbygal0330

Postby abbygal0330 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:39 am

i got it-- full time Preferred WL... im hoping!

melbelle

Postby melbelle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:53 am

gollymolly wrote:I happened to be on campus so they just told me while I was there, but I believe they mailed out several acceptances that day. The acceptance was preceeded by an email asking if I was still interested.

Congrats! How much time did they give you to respond to their acceptance?

thisabyssisbliss

Postby thisabyssisbliss » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:59 am

melbelle wrote:
gollymolly wrote:I happened to be on campus so they just told me while I was there, but I believe they mailed out several acceptances that day. The acceptance was preceeded by an email asking if I was still interested.

Congrats! How much time did they give you to respond to their acceptance?

I am guessing if you get accepted before may 1 (the deposit deadline) you have at least until then.

tobiathon

Postby tobiathon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:04 am

I am on the part-time preferred wait list. Does anyone think that there are two groups preferred groups for part-time, a priority preferred and regular preferred?

JD1111

Postby JD1111 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:24 pm

From the research I've done (a few minutes on Google), I found this letter from Admissions to a prospective student...

"You are a part of a special group within the Preferred Waitlist. Essentially, it
is the top group, and I serve as your direct contact... However, it
all depends upon the number of spaces we have..."

So basically there are THREE tiers to the WL: regular, preferred, and a special group within the preferred. As was explained to me, the letter you received would specifically state that you are in this special group if you are.

bruinbear

Postby bruinbear » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:28 pm

JD1111 wrote:From the research I've done (a few minutes on Google), I found this letter from Admissions to a prospective student...

"You are a part of a special group within the Preferred Waitlist. Essentially, it

So basically there are THREE tiers to the WL: regular, preferred, and a special group within the preferred. As was explained to me, the letter you received would specifically state that you are in this special group if you are.

yep. youre chances are probably better if youre in the "special group" but someone from the regular preferred group got in off the waitlist already so there is hope for everyone :)

btw, i think someone asked how you get notified off acceptance off of the waitlist- i got an email saying a decision was made and i should be very happy about it and then the snail mailed package two or three days afterwards. i think they try to email you so you can have a few more days time to ponder...

thisabyssisbliss

Postby thisabyssisbliss » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:39 pm

awaitingmailman wrote:
JD1111 wrote:From the research I've done (a few minutes on Google), I found this letter from Admissions to a prospective student...

yep. youre chances are probably better if youre in the "special group" but someone from the regular preferred group got in off the waitlist already so there is hope for everyone :)

btw, i think someone asked how you get notified off acceptance off of the waitlist- i got an email saying a decision was made and i should be very happy about it and then the snail mailed package two or three days afterwards. i think they try to email you so you can have a few more days time to ponder...

any decision made at this point should be an acceptance. i think they will probably email everyone by the 15th though to either say a decision was made or no decision was made yet and you will remain on the waiting list.

JD1111

Postby JD1111 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:41 pm

FYI: "GULC wait list chances"
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31891

melbelle

Postby melbelle » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:05 pm

The most recent version of the Montauk book was published in August 2006. I don't know if the Dean Cornblatt's quote dates from the most recent version or an earlier one. Either way, it may not reflect the recent proliferation of cross-applicants (e.g., folks applying to a ton of schools). In response, Georgetown may be waitlisting more candidates than before in an effort to yield protect.

Just a theory....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”