Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dropout

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:21 am

Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby dropout » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:44 pm

I got an acceptance letter in the mail today which was surprising not only because i hadnt completed my application. This is not a law degree. Would this benefit someone looking to become a paralegal? Its been many years since i had an opportunity like this

MaxMcMann

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby MaxMcMann » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am

dropout wrote:I got an acceptance letter in the mail today which was surprising not only because i hadnt completed my application. This is not a law degree. Would this benefit someone looking to become a paralegal? Its been many years since i had an opportunity like this


You can become a paralegal with a bachelor's, I don't see why you would do a master's for it.

dropout

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:21 am

Re: Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby dropout » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:44 pm

MaxMcMann wrote:
dropout wrote:I got an acceptance letter in the mail today which was surprising not only because i hadnt completed my application. This is not a law degree. Would this benefit someone looking to become a paralegal? Its been many years since i had an opportunity like this


You can become a paralegal with a bachelor's, I don't see why you would do a master's for it.


A masters gives you an edge over job seekers with a bs. Also, i already have a bs in an unrelated field and it is difficult to get accepted at a college for a second bachelors.

User avatar
hoos89

Gold
Posts: 2140
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:49 pm

dropout wrote:
MaxMcMann wrote:
dropout wrote:I got an acceptance letter in the mail today which was surprising not only because i hadnt completed my application. This is not a law degree. Would this benefit someone looking to become a paralegal? Its been many years since i had an opportunity like this


You can become a paralegal with a bachelor's, I don't see why you would do a master's for it.


A masters gives you an edge over job seekers with a bs. Also, i already have a bs in an unrelated field and it is difficult to get accepted at a college for a second bachelors.


...does it though? I'm not sure what actual paralegal skills you'd receive from that program. If you're having a hard time finding a job as a paralegal, I'm guessing a paralegal certificate would be a better option than a masters in legal studies if that's what you really want to do.

dropout

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:21 am

Re: Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby dropout » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:20 am

hoos89 wrote:...does it though? I'm not sure what actual paralegal skills you'd receive from that program. If you're having a hard time finding a job as a paralegal, I'm guessing a paralegal certificate would be a better option than a masters in legal studies if that's what you really want to do.


I landed a gig as a paralegal assistant which was largely thanks to my acceptance into american public universities mls program so i assumed the mls program was desirable. My experience with b school is that the mba was much more desired than the bs. If the mls is not designed for a paralegal track then what career track is it for? How could a masters program from a reputable school be less valuable than a certificate from a community college?

User avatar
hoos89

Gold
Posts: 2140
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:36 pm

dropout wrote:
hoos89 wrote:...does it though? I'm not sure what actual paralegal skills you'd receive from that program. If you're having a hard time finding a job as a paralegal, I'm guessing a paralegal certificate would be a better option than a masters in legal studies if that's what you really want to do.


I landed a gig as a paralegal assistant which was largely thanks to my acceptance into american public universities mls program so i assumed the mls program was desirable. My experience with b school is that the mba was much more desired than the bs. If the mls is not designed for a paralegal track then what career track is it for? How could a masters program from a reputable school be less valuable than a certificate from a community college?


If the MBA is so desirable then why are you getting an MLS to be a paralegal?

Also is Northeastern's MLS program reputable? It's law school isn't particularly highly rated. And frankly, not all programs are really "designed" for a career track. I think the MLS is one of those. Getting an advanced degree to be a paralegal just seems like such a waste of time/money.

nixy

Silver
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby nixy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:44 pm

The MLS program is likely a cash cow for the school that’s useful for a small percentage of professionals who already have a job and will find the content useful and will get a salary bump for an advanced degree. It could definitely be less valuable for getting you in the door somewhere because it could make you too expensive to hire or you would look overeducated (which is likely an issue you’re already facing if you’re applying to paralegal jobs with a MBA). Talk to the program and ask for hard numbers of how many students start the program, how many finish, how many are employed, and how many got their jobs through the program.

sparkytrainer

Silver
Posts: 806
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby sparkytrainer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:10 pm

nixy wrote:The MLS program is likely a cash cow for the school that’s useful for a small percentage of professionals who already have a job and will find the content useful and will get a salary bump for an advanced degree. It could definitely be less valuable for getting you in the door somewhere because it could make you too expensive to hire or you would look overeducated (which is likely an issue you’re already facing if you’re applying to paralegal jobs with a MBA). Talk to the program and ask for hard numbers of how many students start the program, how many finish, how many are employed, and how many got their jobs through the program.


The OP is a troll. He has been kicked out of 3 law schools. He is just here trolling.

MaxMcMann

New
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:58 pm

Re: Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby MaxMcMann » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:11 pm

dropout wrote:
hoos89 wrote:...does it though? I'm not sure what actual paralegal skills you'd receive from that program. If you're having a hard time finding a job as a paralegal, I'm guessing a paralegal certificate would be a better option than a masters in legal studies if that's what you really want to do.


I landed a gig as a paralegal assistant which was largely thanks to my acceptance into american public universities mls program so i assumed the mls program was desirable. My experience with b school is that the mba was much more desired than the bs. If the mls is not designed for a paralegal track then what career track is it for? How could a masters program from a reputable school be less valuable than a certificate from a community college?


I went legal secretary -> legal assistant -> paralegal (largely unintentionally, wanted some exposure to the field before deciding on school) with zero relevant education credentials and a middling GPA from an undergrad ranked towards the bottom of the top 50. Considering how easy this job is to learn with minimal training, I really don't see why you would want to get a degree for it. Seems like a waste of your time and money.

Lawgiver1981

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Re: Accepted to Northeastern masters in legal studies

Postby Lawgiver1981 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Masters in Legal Studies? Sounds like a scam to me.

Just saying.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 21 guests