Lots of Debt, Limited Options. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sirgetty

New

Lots of Debt, Limited Options.

Post by sirgetty » Sat May 05, 2018 4:47 am

Hey Everyone, first time poster.

1) I have read many many of the threads on here and am prepared for the loads of crap and trash-talking I am about to take, but it is what it is.

2) GPA: 3.18. LSAT: 147 (on my retake, absolute shit, I know). But I had a KILLER resume and KILLER LOR's. I think my personal statement was also killer, but that is probably just me. My undergrad degree is Healthcare Management, my end goal is to work in policy and fix the shitty system.

3) It is absolutely imperative that I go somewhere in order to continue to deffer my undergrad loans. I had the option to go to any UC/Cal State for free because my dad is a disabled California veteran, but I chose to go to my "dream" school for undergrad and now sit on $100k. (My dad's status and tuition-free standing continues for Law School, but only at public California schools).

I applied to (in relative order of reachness)

UC Davis
ASU*
UC Hastings*
UNLV*
Saint Louis University (which was my undergrad)*
USD
Chapman
Loyola
Santa Clara
and McGeorge*

Initially I only applied to the asterisked schools, but by late-April freaked out from not hearing back and applied to the remaining. That same day I finished the applications again, I received all of my current rejections: ASU, Hasings, and UNLV. I have not heard back from anyone else besides McGeorge, which gave me a whopping $1,000 in grant money. Hilarious because I have a EFC of 0 on the FAFSA, but understandable because of my numbers. McGeorge wants their deposit by May 9.

1) Is it normal to receive a handwritten, hand-signed note from the Dean? But they still didn't give me any money smh.
2) Everything I have read says that McGeorge is shit, unless you plan on working in Sac. I would rather return to Socal, but I wouldn't mind a temporary situation up there. What are yall's thoughts on it? Any current students lurking on here?
3) How imperative is it to submit the deposit by the deadline? Clearly money is tough for me, but I would like to go somewhere where I have a lasting chance at paying my debts off not add to them with a mere 68% chance of employment after.
4) I know it is terrible to be thinking about transferring before you even start, but I'd be lying if I said that wasn't my hope. Especially with my out-of-future-pocket expenses of $76k a year. Likelihood of getting into any UC after McGeorge?

Please don't waste your finger energy typing if you are going to tell me to retake. I know I should have retaken and done better in undergrad, but what's done is done. First generation college student//let alone first gen law student. Few people in my family to turn to for this advice. Regardless, I am an anxious mess and need guidance.

AJordan

Silver

Re: Lots of Debt, Limited Options.

Post by AJordan » Sat May 05, 2018 7:38 am

Since you don't want to retake, get a job, pay on your loans. Don't go to law school.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat May 05, 2018 9:44 am

1) deans write "personalized" notes all the time - it's very normal.
3) if you don't deposit by the deadline they can/will give away your slot. If McGeorge is desperate for students they might let you get it back, but someone posted here recently about losing their scholarship at a given school because they tried to accept after the deadline. At the very least you need to ask for an extension on your deposit. Schools often do this, though it's not guaranteed. Not sure it will do much other than delay the inevitable, but it will give you more time to decide.

Re: the other stuff - do not incur hundreds thousands of debt to go to law school because you don't want to start paying off your undergrad loans. Get on an income-based repayment plan - if your income is low enough your payment is 0. Obviously this doesn't help you in the long run, but neither does rushing to an expensive law school that offers few employment opportunities. Really you need to retake so you can get into a public California school and go for free (that seems like the best option for you even if you got your LSAT super high, given that your GPA is low for the very top schools).

amot123

New

Post by amot123 » Sat May 05, 2018 10:31 am

I heard from a friend that you can take a course at a community college to defer student loans. This may be an option for you. I would advise you to retake, so you can get into a UC school from the start. Do not count on transferring.
what's done is done

You can improve your LSAT it is not written in stone. If you attend McGeorge and fail to transfer out, will you drop out? Will you continue and just say "what's done is done"? Regardless, we know for a fact that you will have $100k + $76k (McGeorge COA) in debt. $76k in debt for the slim opportunity of transferring out. People here want you to succeed. They do not want you to make a mistake that will destroy your future.

Please retake the LSAT. I would gladly help you improve your score. I am not an expert on the LSAT, but I did improve my score substantially.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Sat May 05, 2018 10:37 am

Don't compound a bad decision by making an even worse one. The law schools that will accept you likely won't give you money or give you a legitimate chance to even practice law. Your chances of ruining your life via debt are higher than your chances of actually practicing law.

My advice: Find a job that pays enough to make a dent in your current loans and live at home with your family if possible. Also look into non-profit gigs that are eligible for pslf forgiveness. If you won't retake, don't go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dunnkirk85

New

Post by Dunnkirk85 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:54 pm

You should not go to law school. Period

"I know I should have retaken and done better in undergrad, but what's done is done"

It's not done because you can retake the LSAT still and get a job in the meantime.

Let's assume you go to McGeorge for 3 years. 76k x 3 = 220k + 100k = 320k in debt before interest. In 2017 out of 131 graduates only 3 THREE went to a firm that had over 50 lawyers. The 75th percentile salary was 85,000. You wouldn't have a shot of paying off those loans.

Don't be dumb.

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:34 pm

I totally get your skepticism with this site and the usual T-14 or bust mentality of folks on it. I'm not that type, I swear. But I think going to law school with your situation would be a bad idea. I'm sorry. I would encourage you to find employment in a field you can tolerate and pay off your debt. Maybe consider retakes down the road. Hope this helps.

Chelso19

New

Post by Chelso19 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:57 am

I was you once, almost to a T (including the LSAT score and the first gen college student).

I ended up waiting. I got on a PAYE plan with my student loan vendor and worked almost 10 years. I retook the LSAT last year and increased my score by 11 points and received a full tuition scholarship. I recommend waiting, paying down some of those loans, and retaking the LSAT. You have a long career ahead of you, you don't have to go to law school right now. It is tempting to defer those loans, but with the additional debt you'll have from law school, it won't be worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”