Why is there no "in at Hastings" thread?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
delidaw

Why is there no "in at Hastings" thread?

Postby delidaw » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:22 am

I'm sort of a lurker in these forums and I haven't seen much about Hastings. Did anyone go to the March 15 ASW for Hastings? And if so please share. And if anyone has heard other stuff about hastings please share as well!

prettypithy

Re: Why is there no "in at Hastings" thread?

Postby prettypithy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:29 am

emilyk

Postby emilyk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:23 am

Last edited by emilyk on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:38 am

:oops:

delidaw

Postby delidaw » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:18 pm

haha thanks, I've tried the 200 page long one but i can't keep up =(

patzcalski

Postby patzcalski » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:24 pm

I went to the March 15 ASD.

A full summary seems daunting (I just finished writing a paper for my rhetoric class 15 minutes ago), but I'd be glad to answer questions. Greg Canada, the Director of Admissions, sat at my table of three for lunch, so I got a nice opportunity to ask him questions.

delidaw

Postby delidaw » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:27 pm

-How is the campus? is it decent?
-What was the turnout like? age group? was it diverse?
I'm not sure what other questions i have but what was some of the most useful information you got? or interesting.

patzcalski

Postby patzcalski » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Well, it's not much of a campus in the sense that there's no open space. It's two urban looking buildings in an urban environment. It's right in the middle of the city. The quality of the buildings was pretty good though. The library is very modern and cool looking (they just finished remodeling it). The classrooms I saw were all elevated and had a fair amount of technology.

I'd guess there were about 200 people there. Some were parents and SOs, so maybe a little over a hundred admits. It seemed to be a good mix age-wise. I'm only 20 and I found some people around my age to hang out with. They were all pretty friendly with the exception of one girl who seemed to think she should be somewhere better. In terms of race, it wasn't very diverse. Highly white, maybe as much as 80%. I don't think there was a single black person.

I've done a fair amount of research about Hasting's because I think there's a pretty high chance I'll end up there. The ASD largely confirmed impressions I already had. People go there bc it's the best school they got accepted to, but the opportunities coming from Hasting's are pretty good. You need to work hard while there for these opportunities to be available though.

I'd say the only thing that changed was that prior to visiting, I thought that if I went to Hastings I'd live at UCSF's Mission Bay apartments (bc they're new and nice), but everyone seemed to recommend living in the Tower. The bad part is that you'll be in a bad part of the city more, but due to convenience and price, they strongly recommended it, at least for 1Ls.

delidaw

Postby delidaw » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Thanks for the info, I'm am most likely going to end up at Hastings as well. It's good to hear that there are some younger people, I am also 20 =). I'm from the bay area but i havent had to chance to actually go visit the school. But I'm glad to hear that everything inside is nice. Do you know how large is the average class?

ErissaK

Postby ErissaK » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Thanks for the info, I'm am most likely going to end up at Hastings as well. It's good to hear that there are some younger people, I am also 20 =). I'm from the bay area but i havent had to chance to actually go visit the school. But I'm glad to hear that everything inside is nice. Do you know how large is the average class?

Although Hastings has twice as many students as Davis (400), the class sizes of both schools is the same.

hiphoppopotamus

Postby hiphoppopotamus » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:20 pm

Post subject: Re: Why is there no "in at Hastings" thread?
Go! Revive it!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23425

i think it's really funny that you linked somebody who was asking about an "in at hastings" thread to a thread whose first post says "ding."

delidaw

Postby delidaw » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:37 am

Haha your right, i didnt think about that. Is anyone going to the next ASW in mid april? As of right now, it doesnt seem like too many people are considering Hastings, or maybe I'm just imagining it.

metaomni

Postby metaomni » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:46 am

I'm heading to Hastings this fall, very excited!

Anyone else heading to the East Coast Reception in Boston on Monday?

theruraljuror

Postby theruraljuror » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:28 am

I'm coming to the Hastings reception in Boston. I'm skeptical of how useful these sorts of open houses are, but we'll see.

delidaw

Postby delidaw » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm sure they tell us what we can already find in their website but it's always nice to be able to ask questions.

delidaw

Postby delidaw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:55 am

So i caught on that California thread that Hastings is starting to send out emails re merit scholarships.

delidaw

Postby delidaw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:27 am

hey! thanks i didnt know there was a thread on hastings.

emilyk

Postby emilyk » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:54 am

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:06 am

patzcalski wrote:Well, it's not much of a campus in the sense that there's no open space. It's two urban looking buildings in an urban environment. It's right in the middle of the city. The quality of the buildings was pretty good though. The library is very modern and cool looking (they just finished remodeling it). The classrooms I saw were all elevated and had a fair amount of technology.

I'd guess there were about 200 people there. Some were parents and SOs, so maybe a little over a hundred admits. It seemed to be a good mix age-wise. I'm only 20 and I found some people around my age to hang out with. They were all pretty friendly with the exception of one girl who seemed to think she should be somewhere better. In terms of race, it wasn't very diverse. Highly white, maybe as much as 80%. I don't think there was a single black person.

I've done a fair amount of research about Hasting's because I think there's a pretty high chance I'll end up there. The ASD largely confirmed impressions I already had. People go there bc it's the best school they got accepted to, but the opportunities coming from Hasting's are pretty good. You need to work hard while there for these opportunities to be available though.

I'd say the only thing that changed was that prior to visiting, I thought that if I went to Hastings I'd live at UCSF's Mission Bay apartments (bc they're new and nice), but everyone seemed to recommend living in the Tower. The bad part is that you'll be in a bad part of the city more, but due to convenience and price, they strongly recommended it, at least for 1Ls.

Hastings 1L here...it actually is more diverse than it seems. I'd guess the breakdown is something like 50% white, 20% asian, 20% Latino, and 10% Af-Am/international. It doesn't seem diverse at first due to a lack of African-Americans. I believe there are only 2 black people in my section of ~95 students. Other sections are similar.

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:09 pm

delidaw wrote:Haha your right, i didnt think about that. Is anyone going to the next ASW in mid april? As of right now, it doesnt seem like too many people are considering Hastings, or maybe I'm just imagining it.

I'm planning on going, unless I get into one of my top 2 I'm still waiting to hear from. Maybe I too am crazy, but it seems like there's quite a few people in the same boat- atleast it seemed that way at the reception I went to.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”