University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JC420

New

Re: University of Illinois C/O 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Post by JC420 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:09 pm

mmart207 wrote:
Lchi wrote:
mmart207 wrote:I've gotten 3 full tuition scholarships so far and completely forgot about the fees I'd still have to pay :cry:
Haha sorry to burst your bubble
But damn most of these schools' fees are like 500-1000. U of I is on a whole other level :oops:
Also, it includes access to the bus system which is super useful and your access to the ARC (rec center) which is one of the best in the nation so that's nice too

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:47 pm

JC420 wrote:
mmart207 wrote:
Lchi wrote:
mmart207 wrote:I've gotten 3 full tuition scholarships so far and completely forgot about the fees I'd still have to pay :cry:
But damn most of these schools' fees are like 500-1000. U of I is on a whole other level :oops:
Also, it includes access to the bus system which is super useful and your access to the ARC (rec center) which is one of the best in the nation so that's nice too
The health insurance is only 500. Idk but a bus pass and access to a gym, no matter how nice, is not worth 4000 lol

AMax1

New

Post by AMax1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:05 am

I already have a full tuition offer. Do you think it would be worth it to use a different tuition offer and see if they can go up to tuition plus fees? Does anyone have experience with this?

JC420

New

Post by JC420 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:57 am

mmart207 wrote:
JC420 wrote:
mmart207 wrote:
Lchi wrote:
The health insurance is only 500. Idk but a bus pass and access to a gym, no matter how nice, is not worth 4000 lol
Well, $500 per semester lol

JC420

New

Post by JC420 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:58 am

AMax1 wrote:I already have a full tuition offer. Do you think it would be worth it to use a different tuition offer and see if they can go up to tuition plus fees? Does anyone have experience with this?
I mean asking probably wouldn't hurt. It's not like they are going to revoke the scholarship for asking

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JC420

New

Post by JC420 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:04 pm

JC420 wrote:
mmart207 wrote:
JC420 wrote:
mmart207 wrote:
Lchi wrote:
Well, $500 per semester lol
Just to be clear, it sucks that it would still be 3k. I'm not disagreeing with you. My guess is that because of the lack of state funding they receive that they have these fees to maintain the campus

darthrevan92

New

Post by darthrevan92 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:38 pm

Watababe wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:For students currently at UIUC: how feasible is it to get rent down to like $300-$400 per month? I've seen some 3BR houses on Zillow for like $750-$1200, but just wondering if those are generally close enough to campus, in safe neighborhoods, etc. Thanks! Any other tips on reducing living costs appreciated :)
If you're willing to have roommates, it's feasible but it will depend on how close to campus you want to live. I have a friend living in a 3 bed in Savoy and she pays about $400 a month for her part, but Savoy means needing a car or relying on shuttles/buses until you make friends with other people in Savoy with cars (easy, because a decent amount of people live there...I live there). Closer to campus there will be some as well, but you'll sacrifice having the nice looking places for the money. In general, staying south of University is the advice I've always heard.
Cool, thanks for the reply. $400/mo isn't bad at all, esp compared to Boston or NYC, where most people pay about $1000. Tbh cost of living is lowkey a big benefit of UIUC
Oh yeah it's so much cheaper here...I used to pay over $1000 a month in Chicago for one bedroom apartments that were kinda shitty (first one in boystown) and ok (moved farther north almost out of the city). Here, I live by myself in a huge, renovated 2bed and rent is under $1000 and my drive to school is less than ten minutes.

Do you know if there are modern fully furnished apartments like West Quad that are close to campus?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:12 pm

darthrevan92 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:For students currently at UIUC: how feasible is it to get rent down to like $300-$400 per month? I've seen some 3BR houses on Zillow for like $750-$1200, but just wondering if those are generally close enough to campus, in safe neighborhoods, etc. Thanks! Any other tips on reducing living costs appreciated :)
If you're willing to have roommates, it's feasible but it will depend on how close to campus you want to live. I have a friend living in a 3 bed in Savoy and she pays about $400 a month for her part, but Savoy means needing a car or relying on shuttles/buses until you make friends with other people in Savoy with cars (easy, because a decent amount of people live there...I live there). Closer to campus there will be some as well, but you'll sacrifice having the nice looking places for the money. In general, staying south of University is the advice I've always heard.
Cool, thanks for the reply. $400/mo isn't bad at all, esp compared to Boston or NYC, where most people pay about $1000. Tbh cost of living is lowkey a big benefit of UIUC
Oh yeah it's so much cheaper here...I used to pay over $1000 a month in Chicago for one bedroom apartments that were kinda shitty (first one in boystown) and ok (moved farther north almost out of the city). Here, I live by myself in a huge, renovated 2bed and rent is under $1000 and my drive to school is less than ten minutes.

Do you know if there are modern fully furnished apartments like West Quad that are close to campus?

There are! Several of my friends live within walking distance of the law school and have more modern, fully furnished apartments. That being said, the more modern the more expensive. 75 Armory is the one that comes to mind first for both being close to campus (specifically, close to the law school) and more modern.

darthrevan92

New

Post by darthrevan92 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Watababe wrote:
darthrevan92 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

There are! Several of my friends live within walking distance of the law school and have more modern, fully furnished apartments. That being said, the more modern the more expensive. 75 Armory is the one that comes to mind first for both being close to campus (specifically, close to the law school) and more modern.
Thanks! I noticed that armory has mostly 2BR options. Do you know of any that offer 1 bedroom or studio apartments that are like armory and on campus? Are the on campus apts really noisy? I heard from Reddit that some are occupied by boisterous undergrads

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:43 am

darthrevan92 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
darthrevan92 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

Thanks! I noticed that armory has mostly 2BR options. Do you know of any that offer 1 bedroom or studio apartments that are like armory and on campus? Are the on campus apts really noisy? I heard from Reddit that some are occupied by boisterous undergrads
I have a friend that lives at 507 Second which is technically in walking distance of the law school (a little over a mile) and more modern. Another friend lives at Gregory Place East which is in walking distance and modernish (JSM has many other properties at various locations and varying stages of modern). I have another friend living at a Green Street Realty location that's more modern, but also about 1.5 miles away from the law school. I would also heavily recommend against Green Street anyway. Unfortunately, I don't know much more than that...a lot of my friends live farther off campus.

I will say you will deal with noise issues in a lot of the closer to campus apartments, especially the ones closer to Green Street (where the campus bars are)...it's just in the nature of living in a building with a lot of undergrads and part of why so many law students live farther off campus.

darthrevan92

New

Post by darthrevan92 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:57 pm

Thank you very much for your response! In term of quietness and location, would you recommmend orchard downs over the other on campus housing options in the University of Illinois.

CaseClosed

New

Post by CaseClosed » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:24 pm

An Illinois Alum wrote a book about applying to law school. Its on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Money-Moves-Scho ... dpSrc=srch

darthrevan92

New

Post by darthrevan92 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:27 am

Watababe wrote:
darthrevan92 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

Thanks! I noticed that armory has mostly 2BR options. Do you know of any that offer 1 bedroom or studio apartments that are like armory and on campus? Are the on campus apts really noisy? I heard from Reddit that some are occupied by boisterous undergrads[/quote]

I have a friend that lives at 507 Second which is technically in walking distance of the law school (a little over a mile) and more modern. Another friend lives at Gregory Place East which is in walking distance and modernish (JSM has many other properties at various locations and varying stages of modern). I have another friend living at a Green Street Realty location that's more modern, but also about 1.5 miles away from the law school. I would also heavily recommend against Green Street anyway. Unfortunately, I don't know much more than that...a lot of my friends live farther off campus.

I will say you will deal with noise issues in a lot of the closer to campus apartments, especially the ones closer to Green Street (where the campus bars are)...it's just in the nature of living in a building with a lot of undergrads and part of why so many law students live farther off campus.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. How early should we begin looking for apartments if we want ones close to the law school? Also would u recommend me staying for a week in august before orientation to visit apartments?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JC420

New

Post by JC420 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:53 pm

darthrevan92 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
darthrevan92 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

I will say you will deal with noise issues in a lot of the closer to campus apartments, especially the ones closer to Green Street (where the campus bars are)...it's just in the nature of living in a building with a lot of undergrads and part of why so many law students live farther off campus.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. How early should we begin looking for apartments if we want ones close to the law school? Also would u recommend me staying for a week in august before orientation to visit apartments?[/quote]

You are going to want to look at apartments when you go for an ASD if you can. Many apartments will be gone by August as the undergrads typically sign their leases in late fall. I just recently graduated from UIUC in May

darthrevan92

New

Post by darthrevan92 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:51 pm

You are going to want to look at apartments when you go for an ASD if you can. Many apartments will be gone by August as the undergrads typically sign their leases in late fall. I just recently graduated from UIUC in May[/quote]

Thanks!! Do you know of any 1bedroom apartements close to the law school that aren't overrun by undergraduates and subject to noise issues

jstanhope14

New

Post by jstanhope14 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Any idea on when is the best time to move to the area? I originally figured I'd move right after graduation in May, to learn may way around town and meet a few people because the school year starts. Does anyone think this would be beneficial? I'm just worried about the struggle of trying to study while also orient myself to Chambana. It will require me to sublease a place though, and pay rent for a few months while working a summer job, as opposed to living at home and saving money.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:22 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:Any idea on when is the best time to move to the area? I originally figured I'd move right after graduation in May, to learn may way around town and meet a few people because the school year starts. Does anyone think this would be beneficial? I'm just worried about the struggle of trying to study while also orient myself to Chambana. It will require me to sublease a place though, and pay rent for a few months while working a summer job, as opposed to living at home and saving money.
I'm probably going to move by August 1st. Gives me 2-3 weeks to get settled in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:39 pm

jstanhope14 wrote:Any idea on when is the best time to move to the area? I originally figured I'd move right after graduation in May, to learn may way around town and meet a few people because the school year starts. Does anyone think this would be beneficial? I'm just worried about the struggle of trying to study while also orient myself to Chambana. It will require me to sublease a place though, and pay rent for a few months while working a summer job, as opposed to living at home and saving money.

A large portion of my class didn't move to town until closer to the semester starting. I think I got my apartment starting like August 1st, and officially moved like a week before orientation or so, but most people it was even later than that. Moving in the beginning of summer is probably a bit pre-mature. I didn't really feel like it was hard to orient myself to town, and it's not an overly hard town to figure out.

jstanhope14

New

Post by jstanhope14 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 pm

JC420 wrote:
AMax1 wrote:I already have a full tuition offer. Do you think it would be worth it to use a different tuition offer and see if they can go up to tuition plus fees? Does anyone have experience with this?
I mean asking probably wouldn't hurt. It's not like they are going to revoke the scholarship for asking
I sent an email last week asking for Dean Ray to reconsider my full-tuition award to include full-tuition + fees, and she replied today granting my request. I just used a template I found on TLS and told her I was still deciding between BC and Illinois, and I attached my modest BC scholarship offer to the email. Glad to have saved $12,000, definitely leaning toward UIUC now.

AMax1

New

Post by AMax1 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:39 am

jstanhope14 wrote:
JC420 wrote:
I sent an email last week asking for Dean Ray to reconsider my full-tuition award to include full-tuition + fees, and she replied today granting my request. I just used a template I found on TLS and told her I was still deciding between BC and Illinois, and I attached my modest BC scholarship offer to the email. Glad to have saved $12,000, definitely leaning toward UIUC now.

When did you send the message and to whom did you send the email to? When I sent it to the Dean on our financial aid letter and still have not heard back, it has been two weeks.

jstanhope14

New

Post by jstanhope14 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:30 pm

AMax1 wrote:
jstanhope14 wrote:
JC420 wrote:

When did you send the message and to whom did you send the email to? When I sent it to the Dean on our financial aid letter and still have not heard back, it has been two weeks.
I emailed law-admissions@illinois.edu and the office assistant, Heather Grant, said she would upload my request into their portal for Dean Ray to review.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jstanhope14

New

Post by jstanhope14 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Did anyone go to Open House today? I was there up until lunch and was impressed with the professors and Dean Amar. Leaning heavily toward depositing! Although, the most recent employment numbers are kind of a bummer...

darthrevan92

New

Post by darthrevan92 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:42 am

jstanhope14 wrote:Did anyone go to Open House today? I was there up until lunch and was impressed with the professors and Dean Amar. Leaning heavily toward depositing! Although, the most recent employment numbers are kind of a bummer...
The biglaw plus federal clerkship numbers came out to be 35 percent, unless I did my math wrong. The lower biglsw was offsett by higher fed clerkships. Dont forget that the career counselor stated that more people wanted to do more public sector which seemed to be reflected in the data with higher clerkships.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:27 am

Deposited!

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:17 am

In off the waitlist with $$$ and attending UIUC this fall! Got the call July 20th. So excited to join.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”