UGA Class of 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
par283

New

UGA Class of 2021

Post by par283 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 pm

I didn't see anything for UGA yet so I thought I'd make a post. Does anyone have any insight on life in Athens?

wmbuff

Bronze

Re: UGA Class of 2021

Post by wmbuff » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 pm

Oddly enough, this is the last of my applications to have a thread. Checking in.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:22 pm

I did my undergrad at UGA so if anyone has any questions about campus/Athens feel free to send me a message. Good luck, GO DAWGS!!
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Raised in Kennesaw, GA and have family in Gwinnett County so I'm just here to say GO DAWGS!!!

rem1984

New

Post by rem1984 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 pm

I'd also love some insight. Specifically: What are the best areas to live in close to North Campus, is it better to rent or buy, and has anyone had success negotiating a bigger scholarship? I'm in with $5k a year, and I would absolutely love to go there, but I'm aiming for less than ~$20k in debt after graduation. Oh, another question; is there a decent legal market in and around Athens? Is it a place a lawyer could stay forever and make decent (as in more than 75k) money? Or will you need to go to Atlanta? GO DAWGS!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:31 pm

Checking in! Going on my 8th week under review, not really understanding the delay but hoping to hear something soon...

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:18 am

rem1984 wrote:I'd also love some insight. Specifically: What are the best areas to live in close to North Campus, is it better to rent or buy, and has anyone had success negotiating a bigger scholarship? I'm in with $5k a year, and I would absolutely love to go there, but I'm aiming for less than ~$20k in debt after graduation. Oh, another question; is there a decent legal market in and around Athens? Is it a place a lawyer could stay forever and make decent (as in more than 75k) money? Or will you need to go to Atlanta? GO DAWGS!
As far as close to North Campus, there are some really nice apartment complexes like Georgia Heights and 909 Broad. Those complexes are really expensive by Athens standards, but Athens rent is significantly cheaper than just about anywhere else. Avoid getting too close to MLK, I’ve known quite a few people who got mugged back in that area. If you’re looking for a house, you could probably have some luck renting a house on Church St or anywhere in historic downtown, which is a ~10 minute walk from North campus. The closer you are to campus, the dumpier and more expensive places generally are, but if you’re willing to live a little bit of a drive from campus there are some nice complexes like Athens Ridge and Abbey West, though those are pretty heavily packed with undergrad students. If you’re looking for a house, check out Chastain, Jenkins and Leathers. My s/o rented a house from them last year and it was a super nice 4 BR/4Bath for like $1200.

I don’t know a lot about the legal market in Athens, but it’s definitely not a huge market. I probably wouldn’t buy a house unless you’re pretty sure you want to live here. I think most people go to Atlanta.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rem1984

New

Post by rem1984 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 am

Ntp73821 wrote:
rem1984 wrote:I'd also love some insight. Specifically: What are the best areas to live in close to North Campus, is it better to rent or buy, and has anyone had success negotiating a bigger scholarship? I'm in with $5k a year, and I would absolutely love to go there, but I'm aiming for less than ~$20k in debt after graduation. Oh, another question; is there a decent legal market in and around Athens? Is it a place a lawyer could stay forever and make decent (as in more than 75k) money? Or will you need to go to Atlanta? GO DAWGS!
As far as close to North Campus, there are some really nice apartment complexes like Georgia Heights and 909 Broad. Those complexes are really expensive by Athens standards, but Athens rent is significantly cheaper than just about anywhere else. Avoid getting too close to MLK, I’ve known quite a few people who got mugged back in that area. If you’re looking for a house, you could probably have some luck renting a house on Church St or anywhere in historic downtown, which is a ~10 minute walk from North campus. The closer you are to campus, the dumpier and more expensive places generally are, but if you’re willing to live a little bit of a drive from campus there are some nice complexes like Athens Ridge and Abbey West, though those are pretty heavily packed with undergrad students. If you’re looking for a house, check out Chastain, Jenkins and Leathers. My s/o rented a house from them last year and it was a super nice 4 BR/4Bath for like $1200.

I don’t know a lot about the legal market in Athens, but it’s definitely not a huge market. I probably wouldn’t buy a house unless you’re pretty sure you want to live here. I think most people go to Atlanta.
Thanks! Checking their listings now.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 am

I’m from Gwinnett county, currently own a home there within (long) commuting distance, don’t intend to move, and got my first and best offer so far from UGA. There’s a very high chance that this is the school I will be attending.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vikingrunner

New

Post by vikingrunner » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Submitted today. Loved my visit in October, and Athens seems great (though I didn't explore much...it was pouring rain when I was there).

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Going on 9 weeks under review, I'm so confused...

sconnie1796

New

Post by sconnie1796 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 pm

I was in a while back with $. With the tougher pool this year, UGA's looking better and better.

EhaM.Ph

New

Post by EhaM.Ph » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:52 am

I’m checking in.
UGA was my first acceptance around 12/6. File went complete two days prior.
Georgia native - however I live in Boston now where I’m a grad student at BU. I study infectious disease and epidemiology at the medical school and became interested in Law after becoming an employee for the Massachusetts department of public health.

I look forward to potentially meeting y’all!

Quick Q. I did not get any scholarship info on my acceptance letter, it only mentioned receiving in state tuition rate. To you all who received a scholarship, was it outlined in your acceptance letter?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sconnie1796

New

Post by sconnie1796 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:16 am

EhaM.Ph wrote: Quick Q. I did not get any scholarship info on my acceptance letter, it only mentioned receiving in state tuition rate. To you all who received a scholarship, was it outlined in your acceptance letter?
Mine was in a follow-up email shortly after admission and also included in a separate letter that arrived at the same time as the big envelope.

EhaM.Ph

New

Post by EhaM.Ph » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:36 am

sconnie1796 wrote:
EhaM.Ph wrote: Quick Q. I did not get any scholarship info on my acceptance letter, it only mentioned receiving in state tuition rate. To you all who received a scholarship, was it outlined in your acceptance letter?
Mine was in a follow-up email shortly after admission and also included in a separate letter that arrived at the same time as the big envelope.
Thank you ! I have not received the envolope quite yet either. BU student housing mail is notoriously slow anyhow. I’ll keep an eye out for it. Fingers crossed.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:08 am

sconnie1796 wrote:
I was informed of mine in a phone call and then received a subsequent email and letter.

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 am

EhaM.Ph wrote:
sconnie1796 wrote:
Thank you ! I have not received the envolope quite yet either. BU student housing mail is notoriously slow anyhow. I’ll keep an eye out for it. Fingers crossed.
I received my acceptance email on 9/7 and my scholarship email on 9/20.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

par283

New

Post by par283 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:13 pm

I got my acceptance email and then my scholarship email came 2 hours later.

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Checking in! UGA was my first admit back in October, I'm waiting on December scores, but I certainly would enjoy going there!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
There's certainly a legal market in Athens, but it's a very small one. I don't know of anyone that stayed in Athens after school. Atlanta is close, and UGA alums are looked upon very favorably. Certainly people will practice in Savannah or Macon, or other small towns, but most of your class will end up in or around Atlanta.

Lattewatcher

New

Post by Lattewatcher » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:17 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
There's certainly a legal market in Athens, but it's a very small one. I don't know of anyone that stayed in Athens after school. Atlanta is close, and UGA alums are looked upon very favorably. Certainly people will practice in Savannah or Macon, or other small towns, but most of your class will end up in or around Atlanta.
The legal market in Athens, while minuscule compared to Atlanta, is healthy and sizable for a town of its size. It wouldn't be desirable for a career in big law, obviously, but if you want to practice criminal, estate or real estate law, you will probably find work. Source: I work as a paralegal in Athens. Currently studying for the LSAT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Lattewatcher wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:
Ntp73821 wrote:
The legal market in Athens, while minuscule compared to Atlanta, is healthy and sizable for a town of its size. It wouldn't be desirable for a career in big law, obviously, but if you want to practice criminal, estate or real estate law, you will probably find work. Source: I work as a paralegal in Athens. Currently studying for the LSAT.
I don't think we're disagreeing with each other. There's a legal market, but it's small. I just looked on the alumni database, and out of my class of 190+ people, 6 are currently working in Athens and 70+ are working in Atlanta (not including places like Marietta, for example, cause I just searched for Atlanta). Also keep in mind that around 25% of the class doesn't bother to update their alumni page. So Athens work is possible, but you've got a much better shot at Atlanta.

vikingrunner

New

Post by vikingrunner » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:35 pm

I just went to "your file is being reviewed" so I guess they are reviewing apps this week? I figured most admissions offices would be on break until ~Jan 2nd.

ga706

New

Post by ga706 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Been under review (applied early October) for a while now. Numbers are a little low for UGA, but I'm hopeful with some good softs. Does anyone know the nature of the waitlist (if applicants are ranked, preferred, etc.) or has anyone been rejected yet? I can't tell much on LSN right now.
Good luck everyone!

vikingrunner

New

Post by vikingrunner » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm

In via email!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”