UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vikingrunner

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:01 pm

UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby vikingrunner » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 pm

Didn't see a thread.

Submitted this morning, won't be complete until my LSAT score is reported. I visited in October and enjoyed it. Only drawback was that the Law School building is a bit of a maze and there is a bunch of construction on that side of campus (practice facility for the football team, I think).

wombythewombat

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wombythewombat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks for making this thread! I submitted 10/24 but didn't complete the full residency form until mid-November so I don't think I was considered complete until then.

Delta887

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Delta887 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Checking in. Went complete on 10/31. Really hoping we hear something this week. UNC is one of my top choices!

LYNZE985

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby LYNZE985 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:39 am

When does UNC typically start notifying of acceptance?

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 pm

LYNZE985 wrote:When does UNC typically start notifying of acceptance?

before now

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:50 pm

Checking in!
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hipcatdaddio

Bronze
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby hipcatdaddio » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 am

2017 UNC grad here (also went to UNC for UG). if anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask. I do have a job that actually requires me to do work (bit of a drag), so I can't guarantee a prompt response, but I'll do my best.

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:29 am

hipcatdaddio wrote:2017 UNC grad here (also went to UNC for UG). if anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask. I do have a job that actually requires me to do work (bit of a drag), so I can't guarantee a prompt response, but I'll do my best.



What are you doing now (career-wise)? How was/is the culture at UNC? What did you do summer 1L and 2L? Thank you for answering questions! :)
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hipcatdaddio

Bronze
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby hipcatdaddio » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:19 pm

wolfonlawstreet wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:2017 UNC grad here (also went to UNC for UG). if anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask. I do have a job that actually requires me to do work (bit of a drag), so I can't guarantee a prompt response, but I'll do my best.



What are you doing now (career-wise)? How was/is the culture at UNC? What did you do summer 1L and 2L? Thank you for answering questions! :)


I work for a mid-market branch for a V100 firm in NC as a lit associate. I'm a NC native, so the goal was always to stay in NC.

The culture at UNC is pretty congenial. It's not a cut-throat environment and there are people with a bunch of different interests. It definitely leans liberal, but there are a handful of conservative pockets within the school. I will say that there is a general pressure to engage in pro bono, but it's by no means a requirement.

During 1L summer, I split between an RA position at the law school and a boutique real estate firm. During 2L summer, I split between my current firm and a different, but similar, firm in NC. 1L SA positions aren't easy to come by unless your first semester 1L grades put you at a 3.7 or higher (roughly Top 10%). 2L SA is more forgiving, but you still need to be in the top 1/3 of the class to be a competitive applicant for most firms. Raleigh and Greensboro firms care more about NC ties than Charlotte firms do (but they're still helpful to have). I had several classmates end up in NY, DC, Atlanta as well. While the vast majority of UNC grads stay in NC, it's not impossible to end up in a major market, but you need great grades (top 10-20%).

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:56 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:
wolfonlawstreet wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:2017 UNC grad here (also went to UNC for UG). if anybody has any questions, please feel free to ask. I do have a job that actually requires me to do work (bit of a drag), so I can't guarantee a prompt response, but I'll do my best.



What are you doing now (career-wise)? How was/is the culture at UNC? What did you do summer 1L and 2L? Thank you for answering questions! :)


I work for a mid-market branch for a V100 firm in NC as a lit associate. I'm a NC native, so the goal was always to stay in NC.

The culture at UNC is pretty congenial. It's not a cut-throat environment and there are people with a bunch of different interests. It definitely leans liberal, but there are a handful of conservative pockets within the school. I will say that there is a general pressure to engage in pro bono, but it's by no means a requirement.

During 1L summer, I split between an RA position at the law school and a boutique real estate firm. During 2L summer, I split between my current firm and a different, but similar, firm in NC. 1L SA positions aren't easy to come by unless your first semester 1L grades put you at a 3.7 or higher (roughly Top 10%). 2L SA is more forgiving, but you still need to be in the top 1/3 of the class to be a competitive applicant for most firms. Raleigh and Greensboro firms care more about NC ties than Charlotte firms do (but they're still helpful to have). I had several classmates end up in NY, DC, Atlanta as well. While the vast majority of UNC grads stay in NC, it's not impossible to end up in a major market, but you need great grades (top 10-20%).


Thank you! Definitely good to know :)
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

1994lawapplicant

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby 1994lawapplicant » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:06 pm

According to LSN, UNC has not, since 2010-2011, taken this long to release its first wave. What's going on?

littlewing67

Silver
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby littlewing67 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:35 pm

.
Last edited by littlewing67 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fastfretxfingers

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby fastfretxfingers » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm

littlewing67 wrote:
1994lawapplicant wrote:According to LSN, UNC has not, since 2010-2011, taken this long to release its first wave. What's going on?


Seriously???


Did anyone hear anything?

1994lawapplicant

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby 1994lawapplicant » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Everyone check your status checkers! I am in, as of this morning!

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:35 pm

Also in via status checker!

Above 75th LSAT, between 25th and 50th GPA

Delta887

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Delta887 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Also in via status checker!

1994lawapplicant

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby 1994lawapplicant » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Anyone know anything about scholarships?

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Also in!!! :) via status checker
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

wombythewombat

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:08 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby wombythewombat » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Another one in via status checker! 169/2.96 resident.

Any guesses as to how long it'll take for the e-mail?

pwil4142

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby pwil4142 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:06 pm

In via status checker this morning! Resident, LSAT above 75th GPA just above median

User avatar
fastfretxfingers

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby fastfretxfingers » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:35 pm

In! OOS

paralegaltolawyer3

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby paralegaltolawyer3 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:41 pm

pwil4142 wrote:In via status checker this morning! Resident, LSAT above 75th GPA just above median


Did your status checker ever change to UR?

pwil4142

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby pwil4142 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:43 pm

paralegaltolawyer3 wrote:
pwil4142 wrote:In via status checker this morning! Resident, LSAT above 75th GPA just above median


Did your status checker ever change to UR?


No, UNC's only changes when you go complete and when they render a decision. I went complete 11/3

paralegaltolawyer3

New
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:16 pm

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby paralegaltolawyer3 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 pm

pwil4142 wrote:
paralegaltolawyer3 wrote:
pwil4142 wrote:In via status checker this morning! Resident, LSAT above 75th GPA just above median


Did your status checker ever change to UR?


No, UNC's only changes when you go complete and when they render a decision. I went complete 11/3


Thank you! :D My status checker says complete but doesn't have a date. I submitted mid-October so hoping for an answer soon.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: UNC c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Just got the scholarship offer and it was...not very good.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 18 guests