What positivity have you gained from this forum? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
legalbrunette

New

What positivity have you gained from this forum?

Post by legalbrunette » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:12 pm

[Redacted at poster's request.]
Last edited by QContinuum on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Redacted at poster's request.

bbwannabe

New

Re: What positivity have you gained from this forum?

Post by bbwannabe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:24 pm

you are 100% right in my opinion. I get anxious and sad seeing other people who submitted after me get into my dream schools. I constantly compare myself to others , whether that be my numbers, or softs. I really need to be off this forum. Thanks for this post!

kippercd

Bronze

Post by kippercd » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:25 pm

I dont think people come to TLS for positivity?
Last edited by kippercd on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joooookchang

New

Post by joooookchang » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:26 pm

kippercd wrote:I dont think people come to TLS for positivity?
+1 lol

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Do you need me to compliment you pro bono?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATXStudent

New

Post by ATXStudent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Like most things, if abused TLS certainly can be negative. But if you evaluate TLS in context of what is, a group of highly motivated, high performing, and non-representative of the entire applicant pool individuals, I think the experience can be positive.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:32 pm

ATXStudent wrote:Like most things, if abused TLS certainly can be negative. But if you evaluate TLS in context of what is, a group of highly motivated, high performing, and non-representative of the entire applicant pool individuals, I think the experience can be positive.
+1

It’s also nice if you consider TLS a timeline resource but not anything to judge your own performance on.

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Not sure you're gonna find the answer that you're looking for here

tinycatfriend

Bronze

Post by tinycatfriend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:37 pm

I mean, I posted on this forum about not being able to really afford paying Stanford's app fee and two incredible people (@KenyaDIGGIT) helped me out financially so that's... really huge actually.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:41 pm

I've come across people I'm rooting for to get their good outcomes, and folks who make me laugh, and folks who've given me guidance as to what to expect from application processes that I'm a little behind them on.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:44 pm

legalbrunette wrote:Even more scary, i find current law students here! I see the value in current law advice, but not in this specific forum, and its crazy to think my future classmates will still be attached to this tls admissions forum bubble!
Maybe I'm biased as a 1L but I don't see a problem with this.

When I was applying last cycle I thought it was a huge resource to have actual law students offering advice on the admissions process given that they had already been through it and knew what they were talking about.

I know I gained a TON from this forum: how to negotiate scholarships, how to tailor my app around a cohesive message, how to decide which school to attend, etc. I love my law school experience so far in large part because I followed TLS' advice and ended up making the right decision by using the right inputs.

If you're not gaining anything from the forum, or even this particular board, I think you need to change your approach to what you're seeking from here. If you want affirmation, you might find that lacking. But if you want real, substantive advice on how approach admissions this is the best resource for that on the internet.

Ron.Swanson

New

Post by Ron.Swanson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:29 pm

bbwannabe wrote:you are 100% right in my opinion. I get anxious and sad seeing other people who submitted after me get into my dream schools. I constantly compare myself to others , whether that be my numbers, or softs. I really need to be off this forum. Thanks for this post!
+1

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
legalbrunette wrote:Even more scary, i find current law students here! I see the value in current law advice, but not in this specific forum, and its crazy to think my future classmates will still be attached to this tls admissions forum bubble!

When I was applying last cycle I thought it was a huge resource to have actual law students offering advice on the admissions process given that they had already been through it and knew what they were talking about.

I know I gained a TON from this forum: how to negotiate scholarships, how to tailor my app around a cohesive message, how to decide which school to attend, etc. I love my law school experience so far in large part because I followed TLS' advice and ended up making the right decision by using the right inputs.

If you're not gaining anything from the forum, or even this particular board, I think you need to change your approach to what you're seeking from here. If you want affirmation, you might find that lacking. But if you want real, substantive advice on how approach admissions this is the best resource for that on the internet.
^100% this

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ljalba

New

Post by ljalba » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:46 pm

So, there's WAY more to this forum than admissions. When you're wondering about OCI or how to buy a house in the future, I think you'll appreciate some of the input in this forum from individuals who went to law school and/or are practicing law.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:53 pm

legalbrunette wrote:As a lurker on the acceptances, denials and waitlists page, all I see is applicants comparing their timelines to each other and giving advice based on limited knowledge, given that we're all applicants.

I found myself feeling anxious as everyone's cycle moves faster than mine, comparing my numbers and accomplishments to those of a self-selecting group of applicants, and refreshing constantly, and I know i'm not the only one. The conversations are the same "here are my dates....here are my worries...now i'm bragging or not bragging about my acceptance and money while you wait to hear back"

I see the good in having some sort of support, maybe discussing interview format or specific issues, though again we're all beginners, but i don't think that outweighs the energy spent on this page for information that really isn't that valuable. In fact, once apps are in, time spent worrying about them is time away from enjoying your time before law school.

Even more scary, i find current law students here! I see the value in current law advice, but not in this specific forum, and its crazy to think my future classmates will still be attached to this tls admissions forum bubble!

Just my 2 cents. Am i wrong? If so, I'd love to hear input on what you really gained.

To clarify: i dont mean affirmations, nor did i imply that anywhere in this post.
Let me make sure I understand this correctly: you would prefer if people who have been through an admissions cycle before not offer you advice, and instead you would only like to receive advice from people who have never been through this before?

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:04 pm

i mean, yeah. if you're only using this site as a way to crowdsource admissions timelines, it's not worth your time.

if you use it for:
- admissions advice
- LSAT advice
- law school advice
- OCI advice
- bar prep advice
- career advice
- misc. advice
- fill in time while you decay at work
- edit: blow off steam/anxiety throughout bc your real life non-legal friends don't care and your real life legal friends REALLY don't care.

then there's value to this site.

TLS has walked me from 0L to Atty and for the most part i'm grateful for it.
Last edited by pancakes3 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmcauliffe96

Bronze

Post by tmcauliffe96 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:06 pm

wmbuff wrote:I've come across people I'm rooting for to get their good outcomes, and folks who make me laugh, and folks who've given me guidance as to what to expect from application processes that I'm a little behind them on.
+1 It's nice to know you're all in the same boat

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rachelac

Bronze

Post by rachelac » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 pm

pancakes3 wrote: - edit: blow off steam/anxiety throughout bc your real life non-legal friends don't care and your real life legal friends REALLY don't care.
^^^^^^^^^
but for TLS letting me stress out here/follow timelines/complain, I would have no friends irl anymore.

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:13 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
I'VE BEEN SUMMONED! @Kenya - slowly becoming a TLS fave. (But maybe cuz I keep thinking you're Lin?)

legalbrunette

New

Post by legalbrunette » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:

I know I gained a TON from this forum: how to negotiate scholarships, how to tailor my app around a cohesive message, how to decide which school to attend, etc. I love my law school experience so far in large part because I followed TLS' advice and ended up making the right decision by using the right inputs.]

sorry if it wasn’t clear- I’m talking about this specific thread topic, not TLS as a whole. I’m not ignorant enough to possibly not see the benefits for essays decisions etc!

legalbrunette

New

Post by legalbrunette » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm

ljalba wrote:
So, there's WAY more to this forum than admissions. When you're wondering about OCI or how to buy a house in the future, I think you'll appreciate some of the input in this forum from individuals who went to law school and/or are practicing law.

I understand this, I was talking about this specific thread topic. I just said that at THIS PHASE of the process, it may be healthier to step off the “acceptance, waitlist” forum and stop analyzing other people’s dates and cycles.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:37 pm

heyduchess wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
I'VE BEEN SUMMONED! @Kenya - slowly becoming a TLS fave. (But maybe cuz I keep thinking you're Lin?)
Did you confuse me for a once-in-a-generation creative genius? duchess, you compliment me yet again! Brb, going to incessantly refresh my status checkers now lol

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:52 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
Did you confuse me for a once-in-a-generation creative genius? duchess, you compliment me yet again! Brb, going to incessantly refresh my status checkers now lol
If you get into a school in the next 4 hours, Spivey should just hire me to compliment their clients. *magic*

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hunt godlink

Bronze

Post by hunt godlink » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:36 pm

TLS saved my career.

In short, I was a reverse splitter who almost went to a terrible school with a 140s LSAT score. Fast forward a few years and 2 LSAT retakes later, I'm now at HYS with a firm job/clerkship lined up. I would be a desperate graduate buried in debt right now if it weren't for TLS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”