University of Iowa, Class of 2021 (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
getty

New

Re: University of Iowa, Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Post by getty » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:36 am

Lchi wrote:
getty wrote:OK, so I received the $92,000 Scholarship which is amazing and I'm super pumped about it, but it says that its the full out of state tuition the first year (44k), but then goes down to 24 k the second and third years (in state tuition). I'm out of state btw. It also says to supplement this I can apply for an LRA position the second and third year to get the in state tuition (and thus the full ride), plus what they call a small stipend.

So my question is, how hard to obtain/good are these LRA positions? Should I assume this is a full rise scholarship, or are LRA spots really competitive to secure? Do I even want be an LRA in the first place? I hope this is the right place to ask, as I wasn't finding much on my google hunt.
I am in the same boat, but my scholarship email said
"During your second and third years of law school, you will have the opportunity to work as a Merit Scholar Law Research Assistant (LRA)."
I took this as meaning that we already have the job, since it says we will have the opportunity to work, not the opportunity to apply to work, but you can always email the admissions office if you are still unsure.
Ok yep my email said the same thing, it does sound like the position is ours if we want it.

ltepen

New

Post by ltepen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Has anyone who was admitted around December 11 received scholarship information yet?

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 am

ltepen wrote:Has anyone who was admitted around December 11 received scholarship information yet?
I was admitted on the 13th and haven't heard about it either. They said it would be within 4 weeks but I don't know how they factor in the holidays in that time.

ltepen

New

Post by ltepen » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:16 pm

TedBuckland wrote:I was admitted on the 13th and haven't heard about it either. They said it would be within 4 weeks but I don't know how they factor in the holidays in that time.
I didn't even think about the holiday break affecting the 4 week timeline. Oh boy, another week of waiting!

MercW07

Bronze

Post by MercW07 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:20 pm

What kind of turn around time should I expect? I sent my application in on December 24th not really expecting to hear back from Iowa till at the earliest February, but after looking through LSN it looks like they are giving decisions quicker than I expected.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BL2017

New

Post by BL2017 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:12 pm

UR 2 today :lol:

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:29 pm

I received an email a few days ago saying Iowa Law received my FAFSA information and that scholarship info would begin going out in mid-January. But it sounds like some folks already received money. What's this mid-January business if it seems to be somewhat on a rolling basis?

Also, how in the world do I create a guest account on myUI?

ltepen

New

Post by ltepen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:44 am

TedBuckland wrote:
ltepen wrote:Has anyone who was admitted around December 11 received scholarship information yet?
I was admitted on the 13th and haven't heard about it either. They said it would be within 4 weeks but I don't know how they factor in the holidays in that time.
Well, even with the holiday break and MLK day, we should be approaching that 4 weeks. Let's hope we hear soon!

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am

ltepen wrote:
TedBuckland wrote:
Well, even with the holiday break and MLK day, we should be approaching that 4 weeks. Let's hope we hear soon!
Yeah I'm starting to get concerned that I haven't heard from them yet

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lkoy22

New

Post by lkoy22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:24 pm

I still haven't heard from them either. T_T

bleighn

New

Post by bleighn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:54 pm

BL2017 wrote:UR 2 today :lol:
UR2 as of 1/12 here

lkoy22

New

Post by lkoy22 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:58 pm

bleighn wrote:
UR2 as of 1/12 here
Does it say UR2 on the status checker?
Or how do you know which UR status you are.

bleighn

New

Post by bleighn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:36 pm

lkoy22 wrote:
bleighn wrote:
UR2 as of 1/12 here
Does it say UR2 on the status checker?
Or how do you know which UR status you are.
It doesn't say UR2 I just know there was a different date listed when it initially went UR. So if there's been a date change but it still says UR I've just been operating under the assumption that it's UR2.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:17 pm

I've gotten two emails from Iowa today, one thats a pretty general email about the opportunities from Iowa and then one from a law graduate. No scholarship info.

ltepen

New

Post by ltepen » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:33 pm

TedBuckland wrote:I've gotten two emails from Iowa today, one thats a pretty general email about the opportunities from Iowa and then one from a law graduate. No scholarship info.
Same here. Iowa really needs to stop toying with our emotions like this.

tominusprime

New

Post by tominusprime » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:59 pm

ltepen wrote:
TedBuckland wrote:I've gotten two emails from Iowa today, one thats a pretty general email about the opportunities from Iowa and then one from a law graduate. No scholarship info.
Same. I've been starting a couple of days this past week by checking an e-mail from Iowa and going, "Yay.....aw."

This morning, I even went so far as checking the financial award letter on my MyUI page and found myself crestfallen at seeing my aid was all loans, all while totally missing the giant disclaimer at the top of the Financial Aid page that said, 'Your award is currently under review and may be subject to change." :cry:

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:35 am

tominusprime wrote:
ltepen wrote:
Same. I've been starting a couple of days this past week by checking an e-mail from Iowa and going, "Yay.....aw."

This morning, I even went so far as checking the financial award letter on my MyUI page and found myself crestfallen at seeing my aid was all loans, all while totally missing the giant disclaimer at the top of the Financial Aid page that said, 'Your award is currently under review and may be subject to change." :cry:
been there, done that. lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ltepen

New

Post by ltepen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:12 pm

TedBuckland wrote:
tominusprime wrote:
ltepen wrote:

been there, done that. lol
Same here. It was worth a shot, haha. But oh boy, Iowa, your 4 weeks thing seems to have been just a bit off.

hamshotfirst

New

Post by hamshotfirst » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:36 pm

People who were admitted, did you write a brand new PS for Iowa? After some debate I've decided to apply. I think my numbers are pretty solid for a hopeful acceptance, but I know that their PS requires addressing the topics they list on their site. I'm curious if I have to write a whole new PS just for Iowa. Thanks in advance!

Wiscundergrad

New

Post by Wiscundergrad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 pm

hamshotfirst wrote:People who were admitted, did you write a brand new PS for Iowa? After some debate I've decided to apply. I think my numbers are pretty solid for a hopeful acceptance, but I know that their PS requires addressing the topics they list on their site. I'm curious if I have to write a whole new PS just for Iowa. Thanks in advance!
I didn’t tailor my PS and didn’t know there were PS requirements and I was admitted.

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:17 pm

hamshotfirst wrote:People who were admitted, did you write a brand new PS for Iowa? After some debate I've decided to apply. I think my numbers are pretty solid for a hopeful acceptance, but I know that their PS requires addressing the topics they list on their site. I'm curious if I have to write a whole new PS just for Iowa. Thanks in advance!
I read their PS guidance as suggesting that you address at least one of those questions, not necessarily all of them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TedBuckland

Bronze

Post by TedBuckland » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 am

Wiscundergrad wrote:
I didn’t tailor my PS and didn’t know there were PS requirements and I was admitted.
Same here. I think one of the questions was really general like "talk about factors that make you want to be a lawyer" or something like that and just figured mine would fall in that category.

tominusprime

New

Post by tominusprime » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 pm

TedBuckland wrote:
Wiscundergrad wrote:
Same here. I think one of the questions was really general like "talk about factors that make you want to be a lawyer" or something like that and just figured mine would fall in that category.
Same. I did almost zero tailoring, and assumed my PS would fit into the general "what made you want to be a lawyer" category.

On an unrelated note, anyone else check their e-mail today hoping for scholarship updates and get faked out by the Admitted Students Day letter? lol

ltepen

New

Post by ltepen » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:13 pm

tominusprime wrote:
TedBuckland wrote:
Wiscundergrad wrote:
Same. I did almost zero tailoring, and assumed my PS would fit into the general "what made you want to be a lawyer" category.

On an unrelated note, anyone else check their e-mail today hoping for scholarship updates and get faked out by the Admitted Students Day letter? lol
Iowa has faked me out on scholarship information too many times. Now I just assume it's not scholarship info.

vikingrunner

New

Post by vikingrunner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:14 pm

In via email!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”