Indiana - Maurer Law c/o 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tominusprime

New

Re: Indiana - Maurer Law c/o 2021

Post by tominusprime » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 pm

gabylsatprep18 wrote:
lildove wrote:
gabylsatprep18 wrote:
tominusprime wrote:
gabylsatprep18 wrote:
lildove wrote:Okay I’m very nervous because I applied on Dec 20th and ever since then it has been “application complete - ready for review” and there’s been absolutely NO ACTION on status checker since then. I see people who applied later than me already getting in and mine hasn’t even been submitted for review? Should I contact them? I don’t want to seem desperate.
We are on the same boat. I applied Dec 25th, my file has been under review for exactly 3 weeks today. I am an international student as well, LSAT >75th, Above Average GPA report. Have you applied to the 2-year program by any chance? I am starting to think that the fact they have not answered to me yet has to do with that.

I visited the school a couple of months ago and had the opportunity to speak with Greg Canada. The school seemed really interested in my profile so right now I'm going crazy wondering what is going on.
All of this, times a hundred. They were sending me all sorts of invitations to apply since before I took my June LSAT, but I've been stuck at "Complete - Ready for Review" since Nov. 10 and still haven't heard a word back. Not sure whether to take it as a good or bad sign that I haven't been put on the waitlist by now, it's almost been 3 months. :cry:
I had been very happy so far this cycle with good offers from George Mason, W&M and W&L. I even got accepted to Vanderbilt yesterday. However, I'm an in-state resident in Indiana and I'm pretty disappointed with both IUs so far. IU McKinney accepted me but made me a scholarship offer that makes no sense whatsoever looking at my numbers and softs. And IU Maurer does not issue a decision. I am crossing fingers we will hear by this weekend. By LSN it looks like most people who applied and went complete around the same dates have been getting decisions for the last two weeks.
I’m on the new forum mostly but because this is here I just wanted to check with you guys if your status checker changed or everything just continues the same. I’ve seen absolutely no change in mine, still says “ready for review.” Actually freaking out now. And congrats on making Vanderbilt! That is actually my first choice although clearly a bit of a reach for me. Would you go to Maurer if accepted?
I am still under review and going nuts (my application has been UR for 5 weeks now). I do not know why, but my in-state applications are not going as I anticipated. I got accepted at IUPUI but their merit award offer was really low (I believe this has to do with the fact that their rank is really far from any other schools I have applied to. I suspect they believe I am not attending their school and therefore they did not waste time in sending me a decent offer). I got accepted in Notre Dame a week and a half after applying (I did not expect that to happen that quick). Meanwhile, I am still waiting to hear on IU and wondering if I should send a LOCI or try to schedule a second visit to the school. The worst part of all this is that IU was my #1 option in-state, and probably overall.
Congrats on Vanderbilt and ND! I'm waiting to hear back from ND, too, but they were one of my later apps and I hear they take their time. But it's good to know I'm the only one suffering from Bloomington anxiety. I've been stuck at "Ready for Review" forrrr...*checking*...a little over 12 weeks now. And I'm also freaking out a bit because it was one of my top choices along with W&L and Iowa, but I was accepted at the other two very quickly and now I'm wondering if they're just keeping me on the hook because they think I'm not interested. I've also been considering sending a LOCI because I live too far away for an early school visit to be feasible, but I keep reading that Bloomington is famously averse to candidates contacting the admissions office. :(

tominusprime

New

Post by tominusprime » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:47 pm

Sorry, that I'm *not the only one suffering from Bloomington anxiety.

gabylsatprep18

New

Post by gabylsatprep18 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:30 pm

tominusprime wrote:
gabylsatprep18 wrote:
lildove wrote:
gabylsatprep18 wrote:
tominusprime wrote:
gabylsatprep18 wrote:
lildove wrote:Okay I’m very nervous because I applied on Dec 20th and ever since then it has been “application complete - ready for review” and there’s been absolutely NO ACTION on status checker since then. I see people who applied later than me already getting in and mine hasn’t even been submitted for review? Should I contact them? I don’t want to seem desperate.
We are on the same boat. I applied Dec 25th, my file has been under review for exactly 3 weeks today. I am an international student as well, LSAT >75th, Above Average GPA report. Have you applied to the 2-year program by any chance? I am starting to think that the fact they have not answered to me yet has to do with that.

I visited the school a couple of months ago and had the opportunity to speak with Greg Canada. The school seemed really interested in my profile so right now I'm going crazy wondering what is going on.
All of this, times a hundred. They were sending me all sorts of invitations to apply since before I took my June LSAT, but I've been stuck at "Complete - Ready for Review" since Nov. 10 and still haven't heard a word back. Not sure whether to take it as a good or bad sign that I haven't been put on the waitlist by now, it's almost been 3 months. :cry:
I had been very happy so far this cycle with good offers from George Mason, W&M and W&L. I even got accepted to Vanderbilt yesterday. However, I'm an in-state resident in Indiana and I'm pretty disappointed with both IUs so far. IU McKinney accepted me but made me a scholarship offer that makes no sense whatsoever looking at my numbers and softs. And IU Maurer does not issue a decision. I am crossing fingers we will hear by this weekend. By LSN it looks like most people who applied and went complete around the same dates have been getting decisions for the last two weeks.
I’m on the new forum mostly but because this is here I just wanted to check with you guys if your status checker changed or everything just continues the same. I’ve seen absolutely no change in mine, still says “ready for review.” Actually freaking out now. And congrats on making Vanderbilt! That is actually my first choice although clearly a bit of a reach for me. Would you go to Maurer if accepted?
I am still under review and going nuts (my application has been UR for 5 weeks now). I do not know why, but my in-state applications are not going as I anticipated. I got accepted at IUPUI but their merit award offer was really low (I believe this has to do with the fact that their rank is really far from any other schools I have applied to. I suspect they believe I am not attending their school and therefore they did not waste time in sending me a decent offer). I got accepted in Notre Dame a week and a half after applying (I did not expect that to happen that quick). Meanwhile, I am still waiting to hear on IU and wondering if I should send a LOCI or try to schedule a second visit to the school. The worst part of all this is that IU was my #1 option in-state, and probably overall.
Congrats on Vanderbilt and ND! I'm waiting to hear back from ND, too, but they were one of my later apps and I hear they take their time. But it's good to know I'm the only one suffering from Bloomington anxiety. I've been stuck at "Ready for Review" forrrr...*checking*...a little over 12 weeks now. And I'm also freaking out a bit because it was one of my top choices along with W&L and Iowa, but I was accepted at the other two very quickly and now I'm wondering if they're just keeping me on the hook because they think I'm not interested. I've also been considering sending a LOCI because I live too far away for an early school visit to be feasible, but I keep reading that Bloomington is famously averse to candidates contacting the admissions office. :(
If you want to feel better about contacting them, I will let you know that I *gasp* e-mailed them yesterday. I used the strategy of "Hi, I applied to your school and although I have not heard back from you yet, I had some questions regarding your X program that I hope you can solve (...)." They replied to me fairly quickly and I hope that will (maybe) make them take a look at my file if they haven't yet/have forgotten about it. I really do not understand why it is taking so long, as other people with similar stats which applied at the same time and even after me have already been accepted. It definitely does not have to do with my softs, because they are probably the strongest part of my application.

tominusprime

New

Post by tominusprime » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Oh thank God, some movement...lol...they finally changed my status to In Review on 2/8, but given my time spent at Ready for Review, I worry that the promised three weeks might take a little longer than expected. :? I hope everyone else's applications are moving forward as well!

gabylsatprep18

New

Post by gabylsatprep18 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Admitted finally! In via e-mail this afternoon. I'm planning to attend the first ASD on February 24.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tominusprime

New

Post by tominusprime » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:47 pm

gabylsatprep18 wrote:Admitted finally! In via e-mail this afternoon. I'm planning to attend the first ASD on February 24.
Congrats! :)

gabylsatprep18

New

Post by gabylsatprep18 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 am

tominusprime wrote:
gabylsatprep18 wrote:Admitted finally! In via e-mail this afternoon. I'm planning to attend the first ASD on February 24.
Congrats! :)
Thank you! IU Maurer is a strong contender for me, probably my first option, so I am really excited that I finally got a response. I cannot wait to visit again!

JC420

New

Post by JC420 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Anyone tried to negotiate? If so, how did you go about it? I attended the ASD and loved it but I would obviously like to get as much money as I can

BL2017

New

Post by BL2017 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:38 pm

JC420 wrote:Anyone tried to negotiate? If so, how did you go about it? I attended the ASD and loved it but I would obviously like to get as much money as I can
If you look at the past few year's applicant's threads, a lot of folks had luck negotiating after the deposit deadline!. There were even some unsolicited bumps. Take a look if you haven't yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JC420

New

Post by JC420 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:54 pm

BL2017 wrote:
JC420 wrote:Anyone tried to negotiate? If so, how did you go about it? I attended the ASD and loved it but I would obviously like to get as much money as I can
If you look at the past few year's applicant's threads, a lot of folks had luck negotiating after the deposit deadline!. There were even some unsolicited bumps. Take a look if you haven't yet.
Thanks! It would really be more ideal to get a bump before I commit somewhere but it's nice to know there's still a possibility of negotiating further after the deadline

MikkelVilla

New

Post by MikkelVilla » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:34 am

I managed to get more money after accepting last year.

On that note. I'm a 1L here and I'm happy to answer any questions. Maurer is a super laid-back school and it features a lot of the great mid-western values. I'm an international student and I came here very intimidated by the prospect of law school but I've been warmly welcomed here. Deans Matthew and Parrish are pretty awesome.

ncrespo3

New

Post by ncrespo3 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Does anyone know if Maurer has health insurance for law students? I need it and marketplace providers are more expensive than just attending another school that does for me.

KoozBall

New

Post by KoozBall » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:45 pm

ncrespo3 wrote:Does anyone know if Maurer has health insurance for law students? I need it and marketplace providers are more expensive than just attending another school that does for me.
They don't. The financial aid director said during ASD that they eliminated it because one could get it through the exchange.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alegalmonkey

New

Post by alegalmonkey » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:05 am

MikkelVilla wrote:

On that note. I'm a 1L here and I'm happy to answer any questions. Maurer is a super laid-back school and it features a lot of the great mid-western values. I'm an international student and I came here very intimidated by the prospect of law school but I've been warmly welcomed here. Deans Matthew and Parrish are pretty awesome.
Hi MikkelVilla, thanks for taking questions. I'm also an international student, would you mind giving some info about the career aspect for international students graduated from IU? thanks! :D

ncrespo3

New

Post by ncrespo3 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:23 pm

KoozBall wrote:
ncrespo3 wrote:Does anyone know if Maurer has health insurance for law students? I need it and marketplace providers are more expensive than just attending another school that does for me.
They don't. The financial aid director said during ASD that they eliminated it because one could get it through the exchange.
Thank you very much for the answer!

MikkelVilla

New

Post by MikkelVilla » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:42 am

alegalmonkey wrote:
MikkelVilla wrote:

Hi MikkelVilla, thanks for taking questions. I'm also an international student, would you mind giving some info about the career aspect for international students graduated from IU? thanks! :D
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Life go in the way.

Graduating as an international student is the same as graduating as a national. If you do well and can sell yourself, you can work anywhere. Obviously if there's some dense language barrier than it may get in the way for some work but other than that the employers don't really differentiate. During my interviews for my 1L summer job I didn't have a single person ask anything specific to my background other than general curiosity about why I came to the US for law school and if I intended to stay here after I graduated!

If you elaborate a bit about what you want to know I can definitely be more helpful.

pezberri

New

Post by pezberri » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:05 pm

MikkelVilla wrote:
alegalmonkey wrote:
MikkelVilla wrote:

Graduating as an international student is the same as graduating as a national. If you do well and can sell yourself, you can work anywhere. Obviously if there's some dense language barrier than it may get in the way for some work but other than that the employers don't really differentiate. During my interviews for my 1L summer job I didn't have a single person ask anything specific to my background other than general curiosity about why I came to the US for law school and if I intended to stay here after I graduated!

If you elaborate a bit about what you want to know I can definitely be more helpful.
Hi, I'm also an international student! I come from London and have been a bit put off by the small size of Bloomington. Can you speak to what it's like living there as an international?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MikkelVilla

New

Post by MikkelVilla » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 pm

pezberri wrote:
MikkelVilla wrote:
alegalmonkey wrote:
MikkelVilla wrote:

Hi, I'm also an international student! I come from London and have been a bit put off by the small size of Bloomington. Can you speak to what it's like living there as an international?
Bloomington is pretty great. It's so different from living in a european big city where you can get around on foot or take public transportation but that's how it is everywhere here in the states. It takes some getting used to but unless you go to NYC that's how it's gonna be everywhere.

That's really all there is to say about it. It takes getting used to but you eventually do.

Nrhope

New

Post by Nrhope » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:47 pm

Has anyone who have been waitlisted, heard anything back yet?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”