Howard Law c/o 2021 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
d_roz21

New

Howard Law c/o 2021 Applicants

Post by d_roz21 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:29 pm

I didn't see a current thread and decided to get one started.

I just applied today, November 27, 2017.

Godspeed, everyone! :D
Last edited by d_roz21 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Re: Howard Law c/o 2021 Applicants

Post by LSlyfe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:32 pm

d_roz21 wrote:Howard Law School Application Thread

Thanks for starting this! Checking in, I applied in October, went UR 11/20.

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Checking in. Same!
TLS wrote:
d_roz21 wrote:Howard Law School Application Thread

Thanks for starting this! Checking in, I applied in October, went UR 11/20.

d_roz21

New

Post by d_roz21 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:00 am

Under Review as of 11/29. *fingers crossed*

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Has anyone else gotten 3 different complete and under review emails? Sent 11/20, 11/28 and 11/29. I can't tell if this is a computer glitch or if they really review that quickly...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm

In via email! With a niiiiice scholly :mrgreen:

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:10 pm

Not that this matters anymore lol, just wanted to quote you....CONGRATS GIRL!
TLS wrote:Has anyone else gotten 3 different complete and under review emails? Sent 11/20, 11/28 and 11/29. I can't tell if this is a computer glitch or if they really review that quickly...

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:23 pm

CT6 wrote:Not that this matters anymore lol, just wanted to quote you....CONGRATS GIRL!
TLS wrote:Has anyone else gotten 3 different complete and under review emails? Sent 11/20, 11/28 and 11/29. I can't tell if this is a computer glitch or if they really review that quickly...
hahahaha Thanks sis and CONGRATS TO YOU TOO!!! That $$$ might come in clutch! lol

stjeff00

New

Post by stjeff00 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Checking in! Under Review as of the 6th so just patiently waiting... looking forward to seeing what the scholly is going to look like :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Emanda

New

Post by Emanda » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Checking in! Applied a few weeks ago, and really excited/nervous to hear back. I visited the school a few months ago, and I loved it. Vibe is so different from other schools.

Mccoyology

New

Post by Mccoyology » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:34 pm

So HULS site has been down the past couple days, am I the only one experiencing this? Applied Dec 2, still UR. Best of luck to you all

Mccoyology

New

Post by Mccoyology » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:52 am

Emanda wrote:Checking in! Applied a few weeks ago, and really excited/nervous to hear back. I visited the school a few months ago, and I loved it. Vibe is so different from other schools.

Different how, I have yet to visit Howard's Campus. I have applied because of the reputation!

Emanda

New

Post by Emanda » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:02 am

Mccoyology wrote:
Emanda wrote:Checking in! Applied a few weeks ago, and really excited/nervous to hear back. I visited the school a few months ago, and I loved it. Vibe is so different from other schools.

Different how, I have yet to visit Howard's Campus. I have applied because of the reputation!

People were significantly more friendly. I sat in on a class and the students all had a good relationship with each other and the prof. It seemed like a really healthy learning environment. I saw students helping each other understand dense readings...and this was all right before finals. It was just refreshing to see, especially since I've toured a number of schools and this is the first time I've ever seen any sort of camaraderie.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mccoyology

New

Post by Mccoyology » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:56 pm

Emanda wrote:
Mccoyology wrote:

People were significantly more friendly. I sat in on a class and the students all had a good relationship with each other and the prof. It seemed like a really healthy learning environment. I saw students helping each other understand dense readings...and this was all right before finals. It was just refreshing to see, especially since I've toured a number of schools and this is the first time I've ever seen any sort of camaraderie.

Thanks for your response. I only visited UMd so far that is refreshing to hear. I went to undergrad at AAMU and went to Penn State for Grad school. I’ve always loved the comaraderie at HBCU’s but One of my concerns is job prospects. I’ve heard great stories from every Alum I know who went through Howard Law, but I am considering other opportunities because of the job placement.

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:35 am

I'm a 0L so take what I say with a grain of salt. But based on everything I've read/everyone I've talked to, here's what I've gathered:

1) There is no objective way to ever rank an HBCU with PWI's. AA's have lower numbers across the board, but that does not mean we are any less capable. Standardized tests were not created with us as the standard...but that's another convo for another day :roll:

2) Most of the rankings out there are heavily based on "reputation." We are familiar with Howard's reputation as an institution, but the old, white men who create these rankings are not.

3) Yes, the numbers are scary. BUT, with an LSAT median/25th that's so low, there are obviously some people who should not be in law school. A good number of these people do not pass the bar, and thus are not employed as lawyers after graduation. If you look at employment statistics considering the students who do pass the bar only, the outcomes are actually pretty good.

4) Firms run straight to Howard for diversity hires because they know, from the get go, what to expect (i.e. black students). Howard is considered the cream of the crop among black institutions.

Bottom line: If you go to Howard and do what you're there to do, it will be an enriching experience in a healthy environment. No one can guarantee you a job, but with all things considered...I doubt you'd be homeless.
Mccoyology wrote:
Emanda wrote:
Mccoyology wrote:

Thanks for your response. I only visited UMd so far that is refreshing to hear. I went to undergrad at AAMU and went to Penn State for Grad school. I’ve always loved the comaraderie at HBCU’s but One of my concerns is job prospects. I’ve heard great stories from every Alum I know who went through Howard law, but I am considering other opportunities because of the job placement.

Aspire2bEsquire

New

Post by Aspire2bEsquire » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 pm

Accepted in Dec. Went to Howard briefly for ug. Howard is a wonderful school, but the bar passage rates are lower. Not sure if that is attributed to preparation opportunities, coursework, or the students. Former law students I've spoken with have mixed reviews.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:11 pm

Aspire2bEsquire wrote:Accepted in Dec. Went to Howard briefly for ug. Howard is a wonderful school, but the bar passage rates are lower. Not sure if that is attributed to preparation opportunities, coursework, or the students. Former law students I've spoken with have mixed reviews.
I'll be curious to see if the new custom of paying for students bar prep will help raise their bar passage rates (assuming that is a reality and remains one), it's just too bad those results wouldn't be available until after we've all enrolled at our respective institutions of choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aspire2bEsquire

New

Post by Aspire2bEsquire » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 pm

TLS wrote:
Aspire2bEsquire wrote:Accepted in Dec. Went to Howard briefly for ug. Howard is a wonderful school, but the bar passage rates are lower. Not sure if that is attributed to preparation opportunities, coursework, or the students. Former law students I've spoken with have mixed reviews.
I'll be curious to see if the new custom of paying for students bar prep will help raise their bar passage rates (assuming that is a reality and remains one), it's just too bad those results wouldn't be available until after we've all enrolled at our respective institutions of choice.
Agreed. Outside of current pending apps, the bar passage rate is what gives me pause. If that was a part of the "package," it would be more convincing.

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 pm

It already has. Bar passage rates went from 65% in 2016 to 79% in 2017
TLS wrote:

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Anyone admitted in December receive the admissions packet yet?

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:26 pm

CT6 wrote:Anyone admitted in December receive the admissions packet yet?
Nope, I've gotten to the point where I just assumed they must not send one lol.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm

I thought the same, but logged into the status checker and it said it would arrive in 10-14 business days. If I don't get it by tomorrow, I'll call next week.
TLS wrote:

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:30 pm

CT6 wrote:I thought the same, but logged into the status checker and it said it would arrive in 10-14 business days. If I don't get it by tomorrow, I'll call next week.
TLS wrote:
good to know! Definitely keep us updated with what they say then!

Emanda

New

Post by Emanda » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Has anyone heard back this week?

I’ve been refreshing my status checker like 30 times a day.

stjeff00

New

Post by stjeff00 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Emanda wrote:Has anyone heard back this week?

I’ve been refreshing my status checker like 30 times a day.
Nope. I’ve been under review since the 6th of last month and have heard nothing...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”