Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JoeyBG37

New

Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Post by JoeyBG37 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Accepted. Good luck to everyone. Going to tour soon.

apollo12

New

Re: Penn State - Dickinson c/o 2021

Post by apollo12 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Accepted with a full-ride scholarship on 10/16. When are you planning on visiting? I think I'm going to go to the ASD in February.

kimi14118

New

Post by kimi14118 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 am

JoeyBG37 wrote:Accepted. Good luck to everyone. Going to tour soon.
Feel like I see your username in all of the discussions I am following.
Congrats on your acceptance! I live about half an hour from the school and applied because of my parents.
Just got a full-ride offer which makes me reconsider the school now. Have you joined the facebook group?

thebirdlawexpert

New

Post by thebirdlawexpert » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am

Accepted with full tuition offer!

kmac1243

New

Post by kmac1243 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:57 pm

Accepted last month! Good luck to all. Anyone visited yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somewhereclassof2021

New

Post by somewhereclassof2021 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:28 pm

In with a full ride - I'll probably be there in February. I like the idea of a small class size, but I am not sold on working in Pennsylvania afterwards, which may make me look stupid for considering it, but damn if the full ride isn't tempting.

JoeyBG37

New

Post by JoeyBG37 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:12 pm

kmac1243 wrote:Accepted last month! Good luck to all. Anyone visited yet?
I'm going to check this one out again soon. I stopped by for a short one a while ago. I enjoyed this more than Happy Valley (UP)

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:20 pm

JoeyBG37 wrote:
I'm going to check this one out again soon. I stopped by for a short one a while ago. I enjoyed this more than Happy Valley (UP)
Not gonna lie - Carlisle is a pretty miserable place to live and the school is a fish bowl. Everyone knows everyone business. They do a great job with their accepted students days, but try visiting for 2 days outside of one of those before reaching a decision. Consider moving to Harrisburg and commuting, if you decide to do it.

cjm720

New

Post by cjm720 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:55 pm

bmathers wrote:
JoeyBG37 wrote:
Not gonna lie - Carlisle is a pretty miserable place to live and the school is a fish bowl. Everyone knows everyone business. They do a great job with their accepted students days, but try visiting for 2 days outside of one of those before reaching a decision. Consider moving to Harrisburg and commuting, if you decide to do it.
Students' views on Carlisle seem to be love or hate. I'm finishing up undergrad at Dickinson College (which is immediately adjacent to the law school) and from what I've heard from people over the years the kids from large cities generally don't like it because to them its "bumfuck nowhere" in the middle of some fields in PA, but a lot of people like it because it's generally fairly quiet and there's a decent amount of stuff to do when you can't be bothered to study. I can't speak for the law school, but the college is definitely a bubble since we have generally very liberal students and faculty here in the middle of an area that is by-and-large conservative. Regardless, I'll probably end up going to Dickinson Law if I'm accepted with a sizable scholarship since I'm from central PA and wouldn't mind staying in the area/state for work.

If anyone wants to know more about Carlisle I'm happy to help; I've basically lived here for nearly 4 years now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:38 am

cjm720 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
JoeyBG37 wrote:
Students' views on Carlisle seem to be love or hate. I'm finishing up undergrad at Dickinson College (which is immediately adjacent to the law school) and from what I've heard from people over the years the kids from large cities generally don't like it because to them its "bumfuck nowhere" in the middle of some fields in PA, but a lot of people like it because it's generally fairly quiet and there's a decent amount of stuff to do when you can't be bothered to study. I can't speak for the law school, but the college is definitely a bubble since we have generally very liberal students and faculty here in the middle of an area that is by-and-large conservative. Regardless, I'll probably end up going to Dickinson Law if I'm accepted with a sizable scholarship since I'm from central PA and wouldn't mind staying in the area/state for work.

If anyone wants to know more about Carlisle I'm happy to help; I've basically lived here for nearly 4 years now.

+1 as a Dickinson College grad from a city. This description is pretty accurate.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:52 am

cjm720 wrote:there's a decent amount of stuff to do when you can't be bothered to study.
I guess that I have not seen any of this "decent amount of stuff to do"

cjm720

New

Post by cjm720 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:21 pm

bmathers wrote:
cjm720 wrote:there's a decent amount of stuff to do when you can't be bothered to study.
I guess that I have not seen any of this "decent amount of stuff to do"
I think it depends on where you're coming from. I come from a town in the middle of a field in PA with a population of about 80 people so for me theres enough to do. Most of what there is to do in Carlisle involves eating or shopping, in addition to a movie theater which is more than enough for me since I'm used to not having anything of that sort near to me and I spend most of my time focused on my studies anyway. But if you're from a medium-sized or larger city (or live here but don't go to school here) I wouldn't be surprised if you found it extremely boring. Many undergrads from out-of-state are from cities and spend most of their unstructured time drinking because they run out of things to do.

I will add that the food in town alone makes a visit worth it. I recommend Redd's Barbecue and Issei.

tominusprime

New

Post by tominusprime » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Accepted 12/6 w/scholarship. Hope everyone else does as well!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apollo12

New

Post by apollo12 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:11 pm

I just registered for the February open house. Anyone else planning on attending?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Harrisburg to the law school is only like 25 minutes, correct? Does not seem that unreasonable

cjm720

New

Post by cjm720 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:55 am

apollo12 wrote:I just registered for the February open house. Anyone else planning on attending?
I'll likely be there in February. I'm in with a full scholly so this is more than likely where I'll likely be attending next fall. I've lived in Carlisle for the better part of the last 4 years for undergrad so if you have any questions about the area I'd be more than happy to help. Congrats on your scholarship!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:18 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:Harrisburg to the law school is only like 25 minutes, correct? Does not seem that unreasonable
More 35 with no traffic. With traffic, can take much longer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:34 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by Anonymous Questioner on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:39 pm

I wonder if Dickinson is going to shoot up the rankings next cycle.... LSAT averages have gone up....

Anonymous Questioner

New

Post by Anonymous Questioner » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 pm

Accepted today with a full tuition scholarship! :D Thinking at this point that I'll probably be there next year. Anyone know whether housing stipends are typically offered later on in the cycle, or whether they're usually included in the original acceptance/award letter? Either way, I'm going to appeal, but just trying to assess my chances.

Hoping to see some of you in the fall!

Eleven

New

Post by Eleven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am

KPUSN07 wrote:Harrisburg to the law school is only like 25 minutes, correct? Does not seem that unreasonable
Please don't be confused into believing that Harrisburg is any better of a location than Carlisle, or that the number of things to do there is much greater.

If you are considering Dickinson, consider Nova and Temple first. Very different locations with better employment numbers, and likely not a significant difference in COA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apollo12

New

Post by apollo12 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Eleven wrote:
Please don't be confused into believing that Harrisburg is any better of a location than Carlisle, or that the number of things to do there is much greater.

If you are considering Dickinson, consider Nova and Temple first. Very different locations with better employment numbers, and likely not a significant difference in COA.
https://www.lstreports.com/compare/dick ... villanova/

For anyone interested, here are the three schools mentioned above compared head to head. Dickinson actually seems to be doing alright.

Eleven

New

Post by Eleven » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:46 pm

apollo12 wrote:
Eleven wrote:

For anyone interested, here are the three schools mentioned above compared head to head. Dickinson actually seems to be doing alright.
^^ This comparison doesn't account for region or salary. I'm speaking towards those who don't want to live in Cumberland County

apollo12

New

Post by apollo12 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Eleven wrote:
apollo12 wrote:
Eleven wrote:

^^ This comparison doesn't account for region or salary. I'm speaking towards those who don't want to live in Cumberland County
Ah, gotcha. Sorry about the confusion!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Anonymous Questioner wrote:Accepted today with a full tuition scholarship! :D Thinking at this point that I'll probably be there next year. Anyone know whether housing stipends are typically offered later on in the cycle, or whether they're usually included in the original acceptance/award letter? Either way, I'm going to appeal, but just trying to assess my chances.

Hoping to see some of you in the fall!
Offered later on in the cycle. However, someone told me that they may only be need-based this year, if at all available. Take it for what it's worth though, I can't confirm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”