UF Law C/O 2021 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ayeooo

New

Re: UF Law C/O 2021 Applicants

Post by Ayeooo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:09 pm

Withdrawing this week with a full ride- wishing everyone the best!

lawschoolbb

New

Post by lawschoolbb » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 pm

Just got accepted off of wait list last night I am a Georgia resident!! Offered the Dean's Scholarship, Good luck to everyone.

WhiteFish11

New

Post by WhiteFish11 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:47 pm

lawschoolbb wrote:Just got accepted off of wait list last night I am a Georgia resident!! Offered the Dean's Scholarship, Good luck to everyone.

Congrats! That's awesome. I'm a little worried that I'm still under review and they're already pulling people off the waitlist :|

Gsd10

New

Post by Gsd10 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:05 pm

lawschoolbb wrote:Just got accepted off of wait list last night I am a Georgia resident!! Offered the Dean's Scholarship, Good luck to everyone.
I hate to ask, but I'm super curious as I am also on the waitlist. Do you mind saying your stats?

mz2011

New

Post by mz2011 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:11 am

So, I didn't study for the LSAT and ended up getting a 153. I thought for sure I wasn't going anywhere good, but my applications were already submitted March 1 pending my March 8 LSAT score release. I ended up getting in to almost all of the schools I applied to (haven't heard back from 3 yet), but have accepted the offer from UFL with a full tuition scholarship. I am not a Florida resident. My gpa was 3.96, had professional government experience in the public health field, good recommendations, and a personal statement detailing my personal legal experiences. I got my acceptance April 6 (75% scholarship), visited last week, received an increased scholarship April 16 (100%) and accepted earlier today.

I should also mention that the student that led my campus tour mentioned that this year's 1L class size would be reduced.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 am

Were you on the WL or HELD? I'm literally still on hold and have been since Oct 30th :?

WhiteFish11

New

Post by WhiteFish11 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:19 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
Were you on the WL or HELD? I'm literally still on hold and have been since Oct 30th :?

People yesterday and today were just updated from pending to hold.

QUIZ

New

Post by QUIZ » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:09 pm

mz2011 wrote:So, I didn't study for the LSAT and ended up getting a 153. I thought for sure I wasn't going anywhere good, but my applications were already submitted March 1 pending my March 8 LSAT score release. I ended up getting in to almost all of the schools I applied to (haven't heard back from 3 yet), but have accepted the offer from UFL with a full tuition scholarship. I am not a Florida resident. My gpa was 3.96, had professional government experience in the public health field, good recommendations, and a personal statement detailing my personal legal experiences. I got my acceptance April 6 (75% scholarship), visited last week, received an increased scholarship April 16 (100%) and accepted earlier today.

I should also mention that the student that led my campus tour mentioned that this year's 1L class size would be reduced.
Did they say how much it would be reduced? I've heard anywhere from 210-240 thrown around.

lilq20

New

Post by lilq20 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:39 pm

WhiteFish11 wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:

Where would "Under Review" fall in this whole pending to hold thing?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhiteFish11

New

Post by WhiteFish11 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:36 pm

lilq20 wrote:
WhiteFish11 wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:

Where would "Under Review" fall in this whole pending to hold thing?
I’m under review too. Means they still haven’t made any decision (even a decision to hold). They said they were trying to give decisions by next week though.

ApplicationSzn

New

Post by ApplicationSzn » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:07 pm

Just got waitlisted today, and hoping I get offered admission!

Gsd10

New

Post by Gsd10 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:40 pm

I feel like they're waitlisting most applicants who were on hold. With the decreased class enrollment, I think they're hoping to fill the entire class with their immediate admits, and just giving everyone else a waitlist decision for the sake of it.

WhiteFish11

New

Post by WhiteFish11 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Just got the "no final decision made" hold status

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Noaction

New

Post by Noaction » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 pm

This being my 2nd year of applying to get in to UF and watching the stats I feel like I have to address the elephant in the room. I’m 75 percentile and above on LSAT and GPA and have worked at a law firm as Director of Marketing and Head Legal Assistant for the top construction law firm in the state and owned my own corporation with over 10 employees and have been waitlisted both years. They just admitted an under represented minority applicant with a 148 and 3.14 GPA. There are COUNTLESS similar acceptances for minorities. To me is seems the only trend is that if you are a minority all you need to do is apply regardless of stats. For everyone else , they can fill in the spots left once every minority applicant is accepted. Frankly I’m sick of it being ignored.

kw25

New

Post by kw25 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Noaction wrote:This being my 2nd year of applying to get in to UF and watching the stats I feel like I have to address the elephant in the room. I’m 75 percentile and above on LSAT and GPA and have worked at a law firm as Director of Marketing and Head Legal Assistant for the top construction law firm in the state and owned my own corporation with over 10 employees and have been waitlisted both years. They just admitted an under represented minority applicant with a 148 and 3.14 GPA. There are COUNTLESS similar acceptances for minorities. To me is seems the only trend is that if you are a minority all you need to do is apply regardless of stats. For everyone else , they can fill in the spots left once every minority applicant is accepted. Frankly I’m sick of it being ignored.
relax. I'm a female URM with a 157/3.3 and I was waitlisted. My mom is a first gen immigrant, and I am a real minority (not the 1/16th Chinese heritage kind). Honestly from reading just this post, I can only imagine what your personal statement looked like. People who get in with lower stats tend to have exceptional softs, aka well written and substantive PS, DS, and life experiences. I don't know you or your life but from reading the entitlement and resentment toward under represented minorities getting accepted over you I would have to assume (many apologies if i'm wrong, we all know what happens when you assume) that you are a.) white, b.) male, and c.) privileged. Again, I don't know you or your life but if you were to write your personal statement on all of your prestigious accomplishments without having to fight any adversity in the process I don't see how you're marketable. Congrats on your good stats but the softs matter too. Frankly you don't seem like a wholesome candidate and that's just the feeling I get from your writing.

mhmyeah

New

Post by mhmyeah » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Noaction,

Affirmative action is an inherently racist piece of legislation -- you are not alone.

kw25,

The fact that you are going around raving over "white male privilege" in forums disgusts me. The only privilege being had is by the minority in this instance. Can you imagine if the policy was vice versa? i.e. due to the color of my skin, being red, yellow, white, etc. I was accepted at a higher rate, w/ less qualifications, than my counterparts? Does this seem right? The answer is no. I understand you're trying to defend your privilege as a minority, but if you're going to be a lawyer, you're failure to distinguish both sides of the arguments concerns me. Probably has to do with the fact for why you were waitlisted.

Ayeooo

New

Post by Ayeooo » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Everyone worrying about being on hold: I was on hold and they came back with an acceptance and a full scholarship so don't stress too much

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Ayeooo wrote:Everyone worrying about being on hold: I was on hold and they came back with an acceptance and a full scholarship so don't stress too much
When were you finally accepted - I've been on hold since 30 OCT..... :?

mhmyeah

New

Post by mhmyeah » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:22 pm

kw25,

Continually, what is it to be "privileged?" Does it mean that you come from a wealthy background, that stems from incredibly hard-work on behalf of your immediate as well as distant family members? And why is it that the female segment of the white population is excluded from this argument?

In California they do not request ID to vote, for some reason I ASSUME involving potential discrimination. Yet, on a law school application we are required to list if we identify as LGBT, M or F, Black or White, etc.? Does this not seem inherently discriminatory? Do you think they should also require a passport size photo included in the application to insure the accuracy of these statements? I think not. If you fail to learn history, you are doomed to repeat it.

Everyone in their lives face some sort of adversity, and it is not necessarily due to their color of their skin. The law school application, among others, should not be turned into a sob story. Everyone goes through adversity, and what matters is how we respond. Clearly, the "white privileged man" you were replying to has overcome adversity and succeeded in many areas of life.

Jay369

New

Post by Jay369 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 pm

I made an account just so I could reply to this. The problem is that you and Noaction are both conveniently choosing to ignore the hundreds of inequalities that underrepresented minorities have dealt with throughout the history of this country (even the world). Please check your privilege at the door if you think that minorities are only getting in because of their background, that is only a factor of their persona and does not signify that they have not had experiences that make them better qualified than you, frankly. You seem to only care about "injustice" when it is directed towards you. Thnx :wink:
mhmyeah wrote:Noaction,

Affirmative action is an inherently racist piece of legislation -- you are not alone.

kw25,

The fact that you are going around raving over "white male privilege" in forums disgusts me. The only privilege being had is by the minority in this instance. Can you imagine if the policy was vice versa? i.e. due to the color of my skin, being red, yellow, white, etc. I was accepted at a higher rate, w/ less qualifications, than my counterparts? Does this seem right? The answer is no. I understand you're trying to defend your privilege as a minority, but if you're going to be a lawyer, you're failure to distinguish BOTH SIDES of the arguments concerns me. Probably has to do with the fact for why you were waitlisted.

mhmyeah

New

Post by mhmyeah » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Jay369,

"Choosing to ignore the hundreds of inequalities that underrepresented minorities have dealt with throughout the history of this country (even the world)." Who said I, or he, was ignoring anything? If I follow you correctly, I assume that you wish to make the argument that because your ancestors were used as slaved labor, that you are entitled to some sort of compensation? Is this correct?

P.S. your ancestor's life experiences do not make you diverse, your's do.

Did I state minorities were only getting in because of their background? No. I stated they were being accepted with standardized qualifications that were below par.

"You seem to only care about "injustice" when it is directed towards you." Is this a personal attack? If you're able to assume this, what else are you assuming with respect to this argument?

Good luck to you in your career in law, you're going to need it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kw25

New

Post by kw25 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:58 pm

mhmyeah wrote:Noaction,

kw25,

The fact that you are going around raving over "white male privilege" in forums disgusts me. The only privilege being had is by the minority in this instance. Can you imagine if the policy was vice versa? i.e. due to the color of my skin, being red, yellow, white, etc. I was accepted at a higher rate, w/ less qualifications, than my counterparts? Does this seem right? The answer is no. I understand you're trying to defend your privilege as a minority, but if you're going to be a lawyer, you're failure to distinguish BOTH SIDES of the arguments concerns me. Probably has to do with the fact for why you were waitlisted.
I said the word privileged one time, and it was a word I used to mean he didn’t have to fight as hard for what he has as someone who comes from nothing. I.e., grew up in at least a middle class household and has not always had to provide for himself. Again, only an assumption. The fact that you are attacking me for making a very temperate observation only speaks to the fact that you too are entitled and likely a white boy sad he didn’t get in to his fav school. I’m not defending my “privilege as a minority” because i don’t feel I have any. I grew up in a middle class family and have no debt or adversity that has made it harder to reach my goals, and I recognize/own that. If someone with worse stats than me got in it likely means they’ve had a harder time getting to the same place as me. This shows character and perseverance, and a likeliness to succeed. Yes there are quotas, but minorities who have faced adversity have a higher success rate than people who only had to work moderately hard in comparison for the same thing and that is a big part of what makes you attractive to schools. You can say what you want to me, but victimizing yourself because you’re white isn’t going to get you anywhere. This is literally the one time in your entire life you will be at a disadvantage for the color of your skin, as opposed to those who face much more adversity every day of their lives.

WhiteFish11

New

Post by WhiteFish11 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Just got my waitlist email. Was on hold yesterday, so quick turnaround.

mhmyeah

New

Post by mhmyeah » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:20 pm

kw25,

First of all you should never assume anything. Secondly, it is apparent you are a racist, should it matter what my ethnicity is? (BTW: I was accepted)

Thirdly, I am not attacking you, I am attacking your fallacious argument. I have met many individuals that grew up in a not-so-ideal upbringing -- achieving high GPA's and test scores, which brought them out of that environment. It should not be used as an excuse for why one was unable to reach a high GPA, etc.

You are a perfect example of why AFFIRMATIVE ACTION is an inherently racist form of legislation. You said it yourself, "I grew up in a middle class family and have no debt or adversity that has made it harder to reach my goals, and I recognize/own that." Thus, in cases like yours, there is little to no difference between you, or someone who is white, per say, with respect to diversity, YET you are the one who has the advantage of being admitted. That is inherently racist.

And you concluded perfectly, affirmative action is an inherently racist policy. As you quote, "This is literally the one time in your entire life you will be at a disadvantage for the color of your skin, as opposed to those who face much more adversity every day of their lives."
Fighting racism with racism does not defeat racism, it perpetuates it, and know that people do not turn a blind eye to this kind of oppression and it will manifest itself in many other aspects of life, which is why it needs to be eliminated, as President Trump is trying to do.

I wish the best of luck to you in your career in law, it seems you will be needing it as well.

QUIZ

New

Post by QUIZ » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:03 pm

Wow this thread sure took a turn.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”