W&M C/o 2021

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gabylsatprep18

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby gabylsatprep18 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Checking in!!

My first acceptance letter, I just sent all my applicantions over the Christmas holidays.

I applied about 10 days ago and received an acceptance e-mail on 1/12. Afterwards, I received another e-mail, this time, from the dean and my admissions package via courrier on 1/16. I'm happy with the scholarship offer, which is pretty close to a full ride. I'm also impressed that the assistant dean took the time to handwrite a note and add it to my admissions package (I assume they do this with everyone but still, it's a nice gesture).

Does any know if W&M offers full rides? As I said, I'm happy with the offer but I would like to know if I have possibilities of negotiating with them and maybe going to law school with no debt at all. Also, does anyone know if fellowships/research assistanships are offered to you with your admissions package or if you have to apply for them? I need a way to cover my housing and living expenses and I really wanted to get an assistanship position.

Thank you guys!

WaitWaitDontSay

Bronze
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby WaitWaitDontSay » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Should I just assume that since I've been complete since 10/30 that I'm either waitlisted or ding, considering W&M's historical trends?

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby KPUSN07 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:23 pm

WaitWaitDontSay wrote:Should I just assume that since I've been complete since 10/30 that I'm either waitlisted or ding, considering W&M's historical trends?


I'm starting to wonder the same thing

User avatar
Experiment626

Silver
Posts: 812
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:43 am

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby Experiment626 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm

FN-2187 wrote:
littlewing67 wrote:Anyone have any idea why W&M has fell in the us news rankings over the past couple of years? They were at #24 at one point and now rank #41. Just curious.


I don't have a precise answer but based on historical trends (https://7sage.com/top-law-school-rankings/) it just seems that schools ranked 20+ have risen and fallen over the years. In W&M case, current 3Ls enrolled when the school was ranked #24. Did their legal education or job prospects take a huge hit in those three years? I don't necessarily think so. Inversely, W&L went from 43 to 28 in those same three years. Did their legal education or job prospects get a significantly higher boost those three years? I don't necessarily think so. With that being said, I haven't compared the data to see if the rise/fall in rankings at those specific schools lead to a vastly significant difference in job prospects. I also don't know enough about the US News ranking to know what impacted the outcome. But just like W&L, W&Ms incoming class could start at 41 and by the time they graduate the school can be back in the 20s.



Apologies for the late response to this, I haven't really been looking in this thread but am catching up. This could be from the revision in the ranking criteria by USNWR. The same thing happened with American falling from 40's between 2007-2011ish to 83rd this year. From what I can pull on research, it was because their employment stats remained the same but the change in weights/factors by USNWR caused them to enter free fall with their rank.

cadents

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby cadents » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:11 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
WaitWaitDontSay wrote:Should I just assume that since I've been complete since 10/30 that I'm either waitlisted or ding, considering W&M's historical trends?


I'm starting to wonder the same thing


+10000

JoeyBG37

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:13 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby JoeyBG37 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:29 pm

cadents wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
WaitWaitDontSay wrote:Should I just assume that since I've been complete since 10/30 that I'm either waitlisted or ding, considering W&M's historical trends?


I'm starting to wonder the same thing


+10000


I'm worried myself. I went complete 11/1 and havent heard a thing. The crazy part is that I've gotten into similarly ranked schools with money. Not sure what the hold up is but apparently I'm on hold for something.

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby KPUSN07 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 am

Anyone else still holding out hope here - haven't heard anything since I sent my application in early October....

KoozBall

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby KoozBall » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:04 am

KPUSN07 wrote:Anyone else still holding out hope here - haven't heard anything since I sent my application in early October....


Not really holding out hope but would appreciate getting a response for $ spent to submit an app.

BigTex1980

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby BigTex1980 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:08 pm

KoozBall wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Anyone else still holding out hope here - haven't heard anything since I sent my application in early October....


Not really holding out hope but would appreciate getting a response for $ spent to submit an app.


you're certain to get a response. whether it's the one you want is another matter.

KPUSN07

Bronze
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby KPUSN07 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:26 am

Waitlisted yesterday - a little bummed, but hopefully I can get off :?

Wednesday

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:33 am

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby Wednesday » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:03 am

KPUSN07 wrote:Waitlisted yesterday - a little bummed, but hopefully I can get off :?

Same here, except I don't care too much 8)

140dot6

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby 140dot6 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:58 pm

I received a waiver on 2/27, applied on 2/28, went complete on 3/8 (Feb LSAT), and was accepted on 3/9.

I relinquished my seat on Friday. Their Statements of Intent were due today; so I imagine some more spots will open up for the WL'd applicants.

Wishing everyone the best of luck!

mmart207

Bronze
Posts: 222
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby mmart207 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Scholarship just wasn't enough to justify attending so I withdrew my acceptance. Hope it goes to someone on the WL!

IamKrisBars

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby IamKrisBars » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Wednesday wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Waitlisted yesterday - a little bummed, but hopefully I can get off :?

Same here, except I don't care too much 8)



So withdraw from the WL for somebody who truly wants to attend!

Wednesday

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:33 am

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby Wednesday » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:08 pm

IamKrisBars wrote:
Wednesday wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Waitlisted yesterday - a little bummed, but hopefully I can get off :?

Same here, except I don't care too much 8)



So withdraw from the WL for somebody who truly wants to attend!


Why? Because I don't deserve to be on the WL unless I'm "a little bummed" about it? Don't worry, if they offer me admission and if I turn it down, they will move on to the next person on the list.

IamKrisBars

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 pm

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby IamKrisBars » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:28 pm

Wednesday wrote:
IamKrisBars wrote:
Wednesday wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Waitlisted yesterday - a little bummed, but hopefully I can get off :?

Same here, except I don't care too much 8)



So withdraw from the WL for somebody who truly wants to attend!


Why? Because I don't deserve to be on the WL unless I'm "a little bummed" about it? Don't worry, if they offer me admission and if I turn it down, they will move on to the next person on the list.



No, not because you arent bummed... "I dont care" made it sound like you have no interest in the school and there are alot of people who are dying to get in. Has nothing to do with what you deserve... all im saying is if you already know you dont wanna go to the school and won't accept, rescind the position. If everyone who knew they wouldn't go regardless of offer did that, people wouldn't have to wait until august for a decision. I only stated that because if you truly don't care then no need to hold it.

Wednesday

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:33 am

Re: W&M C/o 2021

Postby Wednesday » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:55 pm

IamKrisBars wrote:
Wednesday wrote:
IamKrisBars wrote:
Wednesday wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:Waitlisted yesterday - a little bummed, but hopefully I can get off :?

Same here, except I don't care too much 8)



So withdraw from the WL for somebody who truly wants to attend!


Why? Because I don't deserve to be on the WL unless I'm "a little bummed" about it? Don't worry, if they offer me admission and if I turn it down, they will move on to the next person on the list.



No, not because you arent bummed... "I dont care" made it sound like you have no interest in the school and there are alot of people who are dying to get in. Has nothing to do with what you deserve... all im saying is if you already know you dont wanna go to the school and won't accept, rescind the position. If everyone who knew they wouldn't go regardless of offer did that, people wouldn't have to wait until august for a decision. I only stated that because if you truly don't care then no need to hold it.


I see your point, but I didn't say "I don't care", I said "I don't care too much". I am interested in the school, that's why I applied. You've shared your feelings about being waitlisted, I've shared mine. We can both be interested in the school and have different emotional responses to being waitlisted. One thing I can assure you of (even though I don't have to), is that I won't take long to respond if they offer me admission.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests