Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
SopranoSaxophone
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 am

Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby SopranoSaxophone » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:05 am

YALE LAW SCHOOL

Look on my medians, ye Mighty, and despair!

Important Dates
Application Opens: October 20th, 2017
Last Day to Submit: February 28th, 2018
Approx. Timeline for Decisions: Mid-Late April
Application Fee: $85

Checklist:
CAS (transcript)
LSAT
Personal statement + Yale 250
Two letters of recommendation
Application form
Application fee (need-based waivers only)

Useful Links
YLS Admissions FAQ
YLS Twitter
Ask Asha Blog
Asha on the PS
Asha on the Application Process
Asha on Why Yale

TLS Threads
Class of 2020 Applicants
Class of 2019 Applicants
Class of 2018 Applicants
Class of 2017 Applicants
Operation: Enduring Yale 250s

Class of 2020 Profile
GPA: 3.83/3.91/3.97
LSAT: 170/173/175

2938 Applicants
240 New Offers
203 New Offers Accepted
53% Women, 47% Men
48% Students of Color
16% KJD

User avatar
SopranoSaxophone
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:40 am

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby SopranoSaxophone » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:07 am

Here it is. The place to nervously fret over your Y250. Good luck everyone!

User avatar
#gobroncos
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby #gobroncos » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:09 am

Checking in. Yale is a backup for me, but I figure applying to a few safeties is generally a good strategy. :wink:

User avatar
principalagent
Posts: 398
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby principalagent » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am

Checking in but total Yale Mary. Have yet to start my 250 either

User avatar
Platopus
Posts: 1286
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby Platopus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:20 am

Checking in! Yale actually intimidates me tbh :oops:

OtisRedding24
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:13 am

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby OtisRedding24 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:00 pm

How much detail are you going into the college activities attachment? It says "list" so are they really just wanting a bullet point list or a more detailed essay?

Thanks

User avatar
tuna_wasabi
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby tuna_wasabi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 pm

Platopus wrote:Checking in! Yale actually intimidates me tbh :oops:


What he said

User avatar
#gobroncos
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby #gobroncos » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:48 pm

OtisRedding24 wrote:How much detail are you going into the college activities attachment? It says "list" so are they really just wanting a bullet point list or a more detailed essay?

Thanks


From the Asha Blog, it sounds like a list is a lot more what they’re looking for. I can’t cite the entry off the top of my head, but she does say being brief is good and be expansive only if you really need to.

User avatar
maybeman
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby maybeman » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:19 pm

#gobroncos wrote:
OtisRedding24 wrote:How much detail are you going into the college activities attachment? It says "list" so are they really just wanting a bullet point list or a more detailed essay?

Thanks


From the Asha Blog, it sounds like a list is a lot more what they’re looking for. I can’t cite the entry off the top of my head, but she does say being brief is good and be expansive only if you really need to.

+1. I listed with estimated hours and didn't expand into anything

User avatar
#gobroncos
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby #gobroncos » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:25 pm

maybeman wrote:
#gobroncos wrote:
OtisRedding24 wrote:How much detail are you going into the college activities attachment? It says "list" so are they really just wanting a bullet point list or a more detailed essay?

Thanks


From the Asha Blog, it sounds like a list is a lot more what they’re looking for. I can’t cite the entry off the top of my head, but she does say being brief is good and be expansive only if you really need to.

+1. I listed with estimated hours and didn't expand into anything


My guess is that they ask for the info in this way so that they have a standardized resume format, without all the aesthetic touches and personalization that normal get applied to resumes. Makes the process easier for faculty readers and more equitable for applicants, I suppose. But to the point, I think the amount of detail that you would apply to a resume is more or less the standard here as well.

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby soca_dancer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Does anyone know for the section where it asks who proofread your essays etc if we have to give their actual names or just say mother, friends?

User avatar
chrysippusofsoli
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby chrysippusofsoli » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:00 pm

soca_dancer wrote:Does anyone know for the section where it asks who proofread your essays etc if we have to give their actual names or just say mother, friends?


I didn't give actual names, only "friend" etc.

User avatar
#gobroncos
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby #gobroncos » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:23 pm

soca_dancer wrote:Does anyone know for the section where it asks who proofread your essays etc if we have to give their actual names or just say mother, friends?


Same. Just said family + friends. If you're not paying them, I doubt they really care who they are.

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Submitted + Recs in

No correspondence from them yet.

cheeseras
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby cheeseras » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Checking in! Still waiting on a rec before I submit, and also using the time to agonize over essays for a few more days time. I'm curious--given the incredibly vague instructions they give us, how long did you all go for the PS? I'm currently sitting around 900 words/just over two pages, but half the time I think it would be a better essay if I went longer.

User avatar
TheKingLives
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:37 am

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby TheKingLives » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:31 am

KENYADIGG1T wrote:Submitted + Recs in

No correspondence from them yet.

Best of luck!! Rooting for you all the way! :D

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:33 am

TheKingLives wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:Submitted + Recs in

No correspondence from them yet.

Best of luck!! Rooting for you all the way! :D


Thank you so much!

User avatar
KissMyAxe
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby KissMyAxe » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:42 am

Good luck to everyone in this thread. I know you're all really awesome and we'd be lucky to have you here. If I can help in any way, don't hesitate to reach out.

User avatar
maybeman
Posts: 336
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby maybeman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Do you guys think it's weird I marked that I didn't receive help on my application? I had two people on tls look over my personal statement, but never made significant changes based on the advice I received and ended up writing over those versions anyway. I'm neurotically overthinking this for sure, but I feel like it's odd to say I didn't receive help. No profs or parents, etc. looked at anything either :|

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:17 pm

Officially under review!

38981928
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby 38981928 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Is it really terrible if I have a two-page résumé? I saw a blog post saying they prefer just one page, but I think that post was from 2010 and it didn't seem like too much of a deal breaker. It's just that what I actually do in my job doesn't really match my job title. It's a small/midsized company so they have me doing a lot of very high level things. Plus I've had a lot of internships (paid and unpaid) and work related extracurricular experience. I have a one-pager that I use for normal job applications, but I always thought law schools want you to be as thorough as possible???

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:37 pm

38981928 wrote:Is it really terrible if I have a two-page résumé? I saw a blog post saying they prefer just one page, but I think that post was from 2010 and it didn't seem like too much of a deal breaker. It's just that what I actually do in my job doesn't really match my job title. It's a small/midsized company so they have me doing a lot of very high level things. Plus I've had a lot of internships (paid and unpaid) and work related extracurricular experience. I have a one-pager that I use for normal job applications, but I always thought law schools want you to be as thorough as possible???


I did two pages. All my experience coheres well and is equally strong among each entry, so it made little sense to me to chop off things with no clear way to determine what I do or don't cut. But that's just me.

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby soca_dancer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:21 am

Just went under review!

Of course Yale says don't bother us, we will contact you hehehe

tmcauliffe96
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby tmcauliffe96 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 am

Checking in! Above 75th for GPA but median for LSAT. Total crap-shoot

ha8845
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: Yale c/o 2021 Applicants Thread (2017-2018)

Postby ha8845 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:19 pm

I asked this in a separate thread but got no answer. Anyone know how best to submit a diversity statement? There's no clear place for it on the app, except an "Addendum" section which I understand to be more for explanations of GPA dips, time off, etc., rather than an essay on diversity. I know Asha has said they accept diversity statements, but her posts are years old, so maybe the app has changed to discourage them? Any thoughts?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cooleyclassof2021, D1toTier1, DowsingForAJD, Francisiv, longhorn2018, maybeman, ShakeAndBake, xinaialice and 13 guests