Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

You just want a pretty Stanford to notice you, so you're taking to Instagram to post...

A selfie in a Stanford hat, Stanford sweatshirt, waving a Stanford flag, taken on the Stanford campus
12%
A casual photo from Cambridge, Mass. because jealousy is your friend
24%
That photo you got with Mark Zuckerberg during your Facebook internship
3%
That photo you got with Jesse Eisenberg + a witty caption thanking him for your Facebook internship
3%
A photo of rare books you haven't read with a vintage filter #learned
24%
A photo of you with nothing but a Stanford flag draped carefully over your body #comeatmecensors
27%
Already have my acceptance letter, so I'll just Insta that with some sunglass emojis ;)
7%

Total votes: 67

theharleyquinn

New

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Post by theharleyquinn » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
Ron.Swanson wrote:Anyone hear what the deal is yet for non k-h finalists getting notifications from the law school? It would be nice if we could hear back by January.
Not to be nitpicky, but I'm piggybacking on this to say that it does not look like the K-H announcement will come with the SLS acceptance. It's highly unlikely but possible to be a K-H finalist then 1) not be selected as a recipient and then 2) dinged, or 1) dinged then 2) be precluded from being a recipient. As evidence, the following is from the K-H website timeline (in the Application Requirements section):
Winter 2018: we’ll select and notify the pioneer class of Knight-Hennessy Scholars in mid-February 2018. Departments also will contemporaneously notify applicants selected as Knight-Hennessy Scholars of admission to the graduate program.
My read (and only my read) is this: If you're a K-H finalist, you're not dinged. When they select their pioneer class (after immersion weekend), those within that class will get acceptances at the same time. If you're not a K-H recipient, that's not dispositive of whether or not you'll be in. Capiche?
Yup, I got that part. I was just wondering whether those who don't make K-H past December 15 would hear back earlier than other applicants since we submitted pretty early...but I suppose even they may not know that!
Well independent of all of the K-H craziness, last year's first acceptance went out in December and then January the two years before that so all bets are off in that regard.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:22 pm

Last edited by etramak on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emx0824

New

Post by emx0824 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:35 am

etramak wrote:Sent and received. Kind of feel like I just lit some cash on fire but hopefully theyre in a good mood when they review my app.

Only if you wrote that music supplement!

personpitch

New

Post by personpitch » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:46 am

emx0824 wrote:
etramak wrote:Sent and received. Kind of feel like I just lit some cash on fire but hopefully theyre in a good mood when they review my app.

lol, I really wonder if they'll listen to a couple of them just for fun.

gayfish

New

Post by gayfish » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Looks like last year the first string of acceptances came out December 16 - 20. Think that means we can expect some movement before the holidays, or are K-H deliberations going to mess up the timeline and push the first regular wave back a bit? Insider info and wild speculation are both welcomed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze

Post by MonicaYoung_LOL » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm

gayfish wrote:Looks like last year the first string of acceptances came out December 16 - 20. Think that means we can expect some movement before the holidays, or are K-H deliberations going to mess up the timeline and push the first regular wave back a bit? Insider info and wild speculation are both welcomed.
Speculating the same: anticipating that those who applied in September will hear first, based on last year. October applicants will likely hear in January.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Last edited by KENYADIGG1T on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:42 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:My bit of (biased and optimistic) wild speculation is that if you're a K-H finalist, there's a pretty significant chance you're going to be in SLS (saying nothing about whether or not you'll get K-H). Given that you have to be competitive on your own merits for just SLS, I don't know why one's name would be mooted for K-H then be ultimately rejected. Definitely interesting to see how the mechanics of the process work out, especially since K-H is in its first year.

ONE MORE WEEK
EDIT: I hope we know in time how much of the SLS applicant pool applied to K-H.

theharleyquinn

New

Post by theharleyquinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:56 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:My bit of (biased and optimistic) wild speculation is that if you're a K-H finalist, there's a pretty significant chance you're going to be in SLS (saying nothing about whether or not you'll get K-H). Given that you have to be competitive on your own merits for just SLS, I don't know why one's name would be mooted for K-H then be ultimately rejected. Definitely interesting to see how the mechanics of the process work out, especially since K-H is in its first year.

ONE MORE WEEK
EDIT: I hope we know in time how much of the SLS applicant pool applied to K-H.
Totally agree. Since K-H looks at your SLS app and seems to communicate with admissions, I would expect that they're not going out on a limb for someone to be a Finalist that SLS isn't slightly keen on. There's also this weird dynamic where you may have submitted K-H on time, but not your application because it still needs tweaking, need to retake LSAT, etc. Lots of intangibles.

It would be fun to know what the other grad school applicants are thinking lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mistakepluskeleven

New

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:10 pm

personpitch wrote:
emx0824 wrote:

lol, I really wonder if they'll listen to a couple of them just for fun.
I hope they listen! That selection honestly took me longer than the entire rest of the app lol

fohner

New

Post by fohner » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:16 pm

Checking in. Stanford is my heart's top choice.

Apparently I'm one of the few who wrote the optional essay about the one-day class. It was the first prompt that inspired what felt like a uniquely personal response to and I'm happy enough with it.

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Last edited by etramak on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 pm

fohner wrote:
Apparently I'm one of the few who wrote the optional essay about the one-day class. It was the first prompt that inspired what felt like a uniquely personal response to and I'm happy enough with it.
How do you know you're one of the few?

That's the one I actually had the easiest time coming up with an answer for, across all of my applications pretty much. Hopefully that's good...lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fohner

New

Post by fohner » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:56 pm

etramak wrote: I agree that this was the prompt that gave applicants the most opportunity to show off what makes them unique, but I just couldn't come up with a topic. I mean sure there are things that I could pull from my background or interests and turn it into a class but I don't know enough about the law to make it sound good. Perhaps I took it too seriously though!
I wrote mine about a non-legal topic that I have a bit of expertise in and think knowing about could improve the lives of my fellow students. Was it supposed to be about a legal topic? I messed up if it is. Anyway I think the admissions team is looking for thoughtful answers and not just uniqueness and all four questions allow for that. If you took it seriously I'm sure you did a good job.
andysimbi wrote: How do you know you're one of the few?
I haven't seen many other people talk about this question online so I'm assuming it's less popular. I'm making the kind of inference the LSAT warned us about. Hopefully I'm right answering the class question being rare and it's an advantage for us haha.

personpitch

New

Post by personpitch » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 pm

fohner wrote:
etramak wrote: I agree that this was the prompt that gave applicants the most opportunity to show off what makes them unique, but I just couldn't come up with a topic. I mean sure there are things that I could pull from my background or interests and turn it into a class but I don't know enough about the law to make it sound good. Perhaps I took it too seriously though!
I wrote mine about a non-legal topic that I have a bit of expertise in and think knowing about could improve the lives of my fellow students. Was it supposed to be about a legal topic? I messed up if it is. Anyway I think the admissions team is looking for thoughtful answers and not just uniqueness and all four questions allow for that. If you took it seriously I'm sure you did a good job.
It didn't have to be about a legal topic! I wanted to write that one on top of the three songs essay, but I felt the most natural topic for me would be too close to my diversity statement.

squarerootofi

New

Post by squarerootofi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:13 pm

Checking in!

Is it just me or is SLS faster than most at getting applications to review? Only submitted last week but went complete and under review today. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on some other schools to go complete from weeks ago :lol:

Good luck to all the K-H folks, wish I had gotten my act together in time to apply!

phqd_roar

New

Post by phqd_roar » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:51 am

Am sick of obsessing over KH on my own so came here to find the gang. Will Friday ever come? I need to know if I should cease my mock interviews in the shower or redouble them :P

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

socalisgood

New

Post by socalisgood » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:05 pm

what's the advice on how many optional blurbs to write for the short answer questions? Ugh! They're annoying.

allezallez21

New

Post by allezallez21 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:40 pm

socalisgood wrote:what's the advice on how many optional blurbs to write for the short answer questions? Ugh! They're annoying.
I would just do one really good response. Don't do more than two.

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:51 pm

phqd_roar wrote:Am sick of obsessing over KH on my own so came here to find the gang. Will Friday ever come? I need to know if I should cease my mock interviews in the shower or redouble them :P
I didn't want to be the first to express this! Let us worry together!

etramak

Silver

Post by etramak » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:33 am

Last edited by etramak on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 am

Is there a status after “Your file has been submitted for review”? :?

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Post by Bush v. Gorgeous » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am

principalagent wrote:Is there a status after “Your file has been submitted for review”? :?
I think they're maybe like Columbia, HLS, etc. where once your file is complete the tracker is useless?

black_mirror

Bronze

Post by black_mirror » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 am

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
principalagent wrote:Is there a status after “Your file has been submitted for review”? :?
I think they're maybe like Columbia, HLS, etc. where once your file is complete the tracker is useless?
Not according to this post:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=242042

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:22 am

black_mirror wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
Not according to this post:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=242042
Looks like there’s no switch to UR or date changes until DLS, so I can at least stop checking the tracker all the time

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”