Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

You just want a pretty Stanford to notice you, so you're taking to Instagram to post...

A selfie in a Stanford hat, Stanford sweatshirt, waving a Stanford flag, taken on the Stanford campus
8
13%
A casual photo from Cambridge, Mass. because jealousy is your friend
16
25%
That photo you got with Mark Zuckerberg during your Facebook internship
1
2%
That photo you got with Jesse Eisenberg + a witty caption thanking him for your Facebook internship
1
2%
A photo of rare books you haven't read with a vintage filter #learned
15
23%
A photo of you with nothing but a Stanford flag draped carefully over your body #comeatmecensors
18
28%
Already have my acceptance letter, so I'll just Insta that with some sunglass emojis ;)
5
8%
 
Total votes: 64

allezallez21

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby allezallez21 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:07 pm

Submitted.

Looking forward to that Farm life.

User avatar
personpitch

New
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:19 am

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby personpitch » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Submitted. SLS is definitely my top choice, and so I'm really hoping it all works out!

User avatar
mistakepluskeleven

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby mistakepluskeleven » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Anyone else who studied abroad have their status incomplete due to missing transcripts? I don't know about other schools, but my undergrad combined our abroad transcript into my undergrad one. Stanford is the only school where this is "missing" for me :/

c19nerd

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby c19nerd » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:34 pm

InterLaw wrote:
theharleyquinn wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
ha8845 wrote:Does Stanford’s online status check ever change from “submitted for review,” or is that the equivalent of Under Review? I’m a KH applicant so presumably it should be under review in anticipation of the 12/15 decision, but I’ve been at “submitted for review” for a couple of weeks now.


I've had that status since 10/10. I'm >99% sure they've read my app at this point, esp with 12/15 coming up.


I'm a little curious if K-H finalists will all be definite admits or some will be on the borderline and accepted if K-H likes them enough. I imagine the second case is definitely possible.


In my humble opinion, if you are among the finalists you are basically already admitted to the school.
It is harder to say whether or not if you are not among those finalists you will hear something soon after from SLS, since they basically screen together every profile right? Or just the best ones?


I imagine that KH would pick the best applications and then confer with the respective graduate schools about those particular applicants. In other words, if you weren't shortlisted by KH but still applied and submitted by 11/15, I'm guessing there's a chance that SLS hasn't even gotten to your application yet.

Along those lines...did any other KH applications receive an email like the one KENYADIGG1T received ("We have completed your file for review as of yesterday because you are a Knight-Hennessy applicant")? I didn't, so I'm guessing I got dinged for KH?

ha8845

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby ha8845 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:09 pm

c19nerd wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
theharleyquinn wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
ha8845 wrote:Does Stanford’s online status check ever change from “submitted for review,” or is that the equivalent of Under Review? I’m a KH applicant so presumably it should be under review in anticipation of the 12/15 decision, but I’ve been at “submitted for review” for a couple of weeks now.


I've had that status since 10/10. I'm >99% sure they've read my app at this point, esp with 12/15 coming up.


I'm a little curious if K-H finalists will all be definite admits or some will be on the borderline and accepted if K-H likes them enough. I imagine the second case is definitely possible.


In my humble opinion, if you are among the finalists you are basically already admitted to the school.
It is harder to say whether or not if you are not among those finalists you will hear something soon after from SLS, since they basically screen together every profile right? Or just the best ones?


I imagine that KH would pick the best applications and then confer with the respective graduate schools about those particular applicants. In other words, if you weren't shortlisted by KH but still applied and submitted by 11/15, I'm guessing there's a chance that SLS hasn't even gotten to your application yet.

Along those lines...did any other KH applications receive an email like the one KENYADIGG1T received ("We have completed your file for review as of yesterday because you are a Knight-Hennessy applicant")? I didn't, so I'm guessing I got dinged for KH?


I am a KH applicant and did not get that email.

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:39 pm

ha8845 wrote:
c19nerd wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
theharleyquinn wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
ha8845 wrote:Does Stanford’s online status check ever change from “submitted for review,” or is that the equivalent of Under Review? I’m a KH applicant so presumably it should be under review in anticipation of the 12/15 decision, but I’ve been at “submitted for review” for a couple of weeks now.


I've had that status since 10/10. I'm >99% sure they've read my app at this point, esp with 12/15 coming up.


I'm a little curious if K-H finalists will all be definite admits or some will be on the borderline and accepted if K-H likes them enough. I imagine the second case is definitely possible.


In my humble opinion, if you are among the finalists you are basically already admitted to the school.
It is harder to say whether or not if you are not among those finalists you will hear something soon after from SLS, since they basically screen together every profile right? Or just the best ones?


I imagine that KH would pick the best applications and then confer with the respective graduate schools about those particular applicants. In other words, if you weren't shortlisted by KH but still applied and submitted by 11/15, I'm guessing there's a chance that SLS hasn't even gotten to your application yet.

Along those lines...did any other KH applications receive an email like the one KENYADIGG1T received ("We have completed your file for review as of yesterday because you are a Knight-Hennessy applicant")? I didn't, so I'm guessing I got dinged for KH?


I am a KH applicant and did not get that email.


So I should provide some context for that email. I had reached out to them because they thought I was a Berkeley JD student applying as a transfer (I'm a PhD student at the law school), hence a holdup in my application. Having cleared that up they almost instantly put me under review. I flagged that to them, and that's when they told me that it was due to my KH application that the move to review was so quick. So it's not as if any KH applicants would have received that email, and worry not if you didn't. Hope that helps.

c19nerd

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby c19nerd » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:45 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
ha8845 wrote:
c19nerd wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
theharleyquinn wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
ha8845 wrote:Does Stanford’s online status check ever change from “submitted for review,” or is that the equivalent of Under Review? I’m a KH applicant so presumably it should be under review in anticipation of the 12/15 decision, but I’ve been at “submitted for review” for a couple of weeks now.


I've had that status since 10/10. I'm >99% sure they've read my app at this point, esp with 12/15 coming up.


I'm a little curious if K-H finalists will all be definite admits or some will be on the borderline and accepted if K-H likes them enough. I imagine the second case is definitely possible.


In my humble opinion, if you are among the finalists you are basically already admitted to the school.
It is harder to say whether or not if you are not among those finalists you will hear something soon after from SLS, since they basically screen together every profile right? Or just the best ones?


I imagine that KH would pick the best applications and then confer with the respective graduate schools about those particular applicants. In other words, if you weren't shortlisted by KH but still applied and submitted by 11/15, I'm guessing there's a chance that SLS hasn't even gotten to your application yet.

Along those lines...did any other KH applications receive an email like the one KENYADIGG1T received ("We have completed your file for review as of yesterday because you are a Knight-Hennessy applicant")? I didn't, so I'm guessing I got dinged for KH?


I am a KH applicant and did not get that email.


So I should provide some context for that email. I had reached out to them because they thought I was a Berkeley JD student applying as a transfer (I'm a PhD student at the law school), hence a holdup in my application. Having cleared that up they almost instantly put me under review. I flagged that to them, and that's when they told me that it was due to my KH application that the move to review was so quick. So it's not as if any KH applicants would have received that email, and worry not if you didn't. Hope that helps.


Ah, that's super helpful to know!! Thanks for the context, and sorry for the creepy shout-out (I'm a long-time lurker...).

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:17 pm

LOL! No worries

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby tinycatfriend » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm

why is the Stanford app fee so expensive?? It's the main thing keeping me from applying because I do not have much money...

cheeseras

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby cheeseras » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:35 am

mistakepluskeleven wrote:Anyone else who studied abroad have their status incomplete due to missing transcripts? I don't know about other schools, but my undergrad combined our abroad transcript into my undergrad one. Stanford is the only school where this is "missing" for me :/


Yes, I did. Email them to politely request further clarification. They have pretty specific requirements for study-abroad transcripts but are very helpful in explaining exactly what they need to complete the file, even when dealing with schools that are not in parts of the world known for bureaucratic adroitness.

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:25 am

tinycatfriend wrote:why is the Stanford app fee so expensive?? It's the main thing keeping me from applying because I do not have much money...


I should come across some money soon (~1 week), so I'll venmo you $50 towards it. Don't let a pesky (but significant) fee get in the way of your dreams, tinycatfriend!

sailcar

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby sailcar » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 am

Checking in again. Finally submitted today!

User avatar
mistakepluskeleven

New
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:56 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby mistakepluskeleven » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:36 pm

cheeseras wrote:
mistakepluskeleven wrote:Anyone else who studied abroad have their status incomplete due to missing transcripts? I don't know about other schools, but my undergrad combined our abroad transcript into my undergrad one. Stanford is the only school where this is "missing" for me :/


Yes, I did. Email them to politely request further clarification. They have pretty specific requirements for study-abroad transcripts but are very helpful in explaining exactly what they need to complete the file, even when dealing with schools that are not in parts of the world known for bureaucratic adroitness.



Will do. Thanks!

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby tinycatfriend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:why is the Stanford app fee so expensive?? It's the main thing keeping me from applying because I do not have much money...


I should come across some money soon (~1 week), so I'll venmo you $50 towards it. Don't let a pesky (but significant) fee get in the way of your dreams, tinycatfriend!


Wow! That's incredibly generous - if you could, and it's okay for you, PM me! Honestly that brought tears to my eyes

User avatar
principalagent

Silver
Posts: 741
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:15 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby principalagent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:11 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:why is the Stanford app fee so expensive?? It's the main thing keeping me from applying because I do not have much money...


I should come across some money soon (~1 week), so I'll venmo you $50 towards it. Don't let a pesky (but significant) fee get in the way of your dreams, tinycatfriend!


Wow! That's incredibly generous - if you could, and it's okay for you, PM me! Honestly that brought tears to my eyes


Iconic, honestly

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby maybeman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:01 pm

principalagent wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:why is the Stanford app fee so expensive?? It's the main thing keeping me from applying because I do not have much money...


I should come across some money soon (~1 week), so I'll venmo you $50 towards it. Don't let a pesky (but significant) fee get in the way of your dreams, tinycatfriend!


Wow! That's incredibly generous - if you could, and it's okay for you, PM me! Honestly that brought tears to my eyes


Iconic, honestly

This is the best thing I've ever seen on tls

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:20 pm

maybeman wrote:
principalagent wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:why is the Stanford app fee so expensive?? It's the main thing keeping me from applying because I do not have much money...


I should come across some money soon (~1 week), so I'll venmo you $50 towards it. Don't let a pesky (but significant) fee get in the way of your dreams, tinycatfriend!


Wow! That's incredibly generous - if you could, and it's okay for you, PM me! Honestly that brought tears to my eyes


Iconic, honestly

This is the best thing I've ever seen on tls


Really?! And to think I wanted to smack you at one point :P

In all seriousness, pay it forward y'all. It's how we all get to the mountaintop.

maxchansen

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby maxchansen » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:37 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
maybeman wrote:
principalagent wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:why is the Stanford app fee so expensive?? It's the main thing keeping me from applying because I do not have much money...


I should come across some money soon (~1 week), so I'll venmo you $50 towards it. Don't let a pesky (but significant) fee get in the way of your dreams, tinycatfriend!


Wow! That's incredibly generous - if you could, and it's okay for you, PM me! Honestly that brought tears to my eyes


Iconic, honestly

This is the best thing I've ever seen on tls


Really?! And to think I wanted to smack you at one point :P

In all seriousness, pay it forward y'all. It's how we all get to the mountaintop.


absolute legend

tinycatfriend

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby tinycatfriend » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:21 pm

maxchansen wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
maybeman wrote:
principalagent wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:why is the Stanford app fee so expensive?? It's the main thing keeping me from applying because I do not have much money...


I should come across some money soon (~1 week), so I'll venmo you $50 towards it. Don't let a pesky (but significant) fee get in the way of your dreams, tinycatfriend!


Wow! That's incredibly generous - if you could, and it's okay for you, PM me! Honestly that brought tears to my eyes


Iconic, honestly

This is the best thing I've ever seen on tls


Really?! And to think I wanted to smack you at one point :P

In all seriousness, pay it forward y'all. It's how we all get to the mountaintop.


absolute legend


Seriously I am actually still in shock and just so incredibly grateful. Like, wow. Thanks y'all, this really just changed my entire month

User avatar
maybeman

Bronze
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 am

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby maybeman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:17 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
maybeman wrote:
principalagent wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:why is the Stanford app fee so expensive?? It's the main thing keeping me from applying because I do not have much money...


I should come across some money soon (~1 week), so I'll venmo you $50 towards it. Don't let a pesky (but significant) fee get in the way of your dreams, tinycatfriend!


Wow! That's incredibly generous - if you could, and it's okay for you, PM me! Honestly that brought tears to my eyes


Iconic, honestly

This is the best thing I've ever seen on tls


Really?! And to think I wanted to smack you at one point :P

In all seriousness, pay it forward y'all. It's how we all get to the mountaintop.

That's right hahah. I don't remember what it was, just that I got some sense knocked into me :lol:

User avatar
Ron.Swanson

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby Ron.Swanson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Anyone hear what the deal is yet for non k-h finalists getting notifications from the law school? It would be nice if we could hear back by January.

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Would it be useful to have a K-H Waiter's Thread? Been thinking about OP'ing one.

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:Anyone hear what the deal is yet for non k-h finalists getting notifications from the law school? It would be nice if we could hear back by January.


Not to be nitpicky, but I'm piggybacking on this to say that it does not look like the K-H announcement will come with the SLS acceptance. It's highly unlikely but possible to be a K-H finalist then 1) not be selected as a recipient and then 2) dinged, or 1) dinged then 2) be precluded from being a recipient. As evidence, the following is from the K-H website timeline (in the Application Requirements section):

Winter 2018: we’ll select and notify the pioneer class of Knight-Hennessy Scholars in mid-February 2018. Departments also will contemporaneously notify applicants selected as Knight-Hennessy Scholars of admission to the graduate program.


My read (and only my read) is this: If you're a K-H finalist, you're not dinged. When they select their pioneer class (after immersion weekend), those within that class will get acceptances at the same time. If you're not a K-H recipient, that's not dispositive of whether or not you'll be in. Capiche?

User avatar
Ron.Swanson

New
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby Ron.Swanson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:46 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:
Ron.Swanson wrote:Anyone hear what the deal is yet for non k-h finalists getting notifications from the law school? It would be nice if we could hear back by January.


Not to be nitpicky, but I'm piggybacking on this to say that it does not look like the K-H announcement will come with the SLS acceptance. It's highly unlikely but possible to be a K-H finalist then 1) not be selected as a recipient and then 2) dinged, or 1) dinged then 2) be precluded from being a recipient. As evidence, the following is from the K-H website timeline (in the Application Requirements section):

Winter 2018: we’ll select and notify the pioneer class of Knight-Hennessy Scholars in mid-February 2018. Departments also will contemporaneously notify applicants selected as Knight-Hennessy Scholars of admission to the graduate program.


My read (and only my read) is this: If you're a K-H finalist, you're not dinged. When they select their pioneer class (after immersion weekend), those within that class will get acceptances at the same time. If you're not a K-H recipient, that's not dispositive of whether or not you'll be in. Capiche?


Yup, I got that part. I was just wondering whether those who don't make K-H past December 15 would hear back earlier than other applicants since we submitted pretty early...but I suppose even they may not know that!

User avatar
KENYADIGG1T

Bronze
Posts: 394
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Re: Stanford Law Applicants c/o 2021

Postby KENYADIGG1T » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Ron.Swanson wrote:
KENYADIGG1T wrote:
Ron.Swanson wrote:Anyone hear what the deal is yet for non k-h finalists getting notifications from the law school? It would be nice if we could hear back by January.


Not to be nitpicky, but I'm piggybacking on this to say that it does not look like the K-H announcement will come with the SLS acceptance. It's highly unlikely but possible to be a K-H finalist then 1) not be selected as a recipient and then 2) dinged, or 1) dinged then 2) be precluded from being a recipient. As evidence, the following is from the K-H website timeline (in the Application Requirements section):

Winter 2018: we’ll select and notify the pioneer class of Knight-Hennessy Scholars in mid-February 2018. Departments also will contemporaneously notify applicants selected as Knight-Hennessy Scholars of admission to the graduate program.


My read (and only my read) is this: If you're a K-H finalist, you're not dinged. When they select their pioneer class (after immersion weekend), those within that class will get acceptances at the same time. If you're not a K-H recipient, that's not dispositive of whether or not you'll be in. Capiche?


Yup, I got that part. I was just wondering whether those who don't make K-H past December 15 would hear back earlier than other applicants since we submitted pretty early...but I suppose even they may not know that!


Right. Not looking to contradict what you're saying; just trying to clarify.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eaglegal2013 and 15 guests