Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

I have been...

Interviewed but still pending
38
21%
Interviewed but dinged :(
5
3%
Interviewed and accepted
71
39%
Accepted without an interview
1
1%
Dinged without an interview :(
5
3%
Just twiddling my thumbs... ho hum... la di da...
44
24%
Writing a comprehensive but concise poll option for people who aren't applying to Texas this cycle but would like to vote in this poll
16
9%
 
Total votes: 180

subpoenacolada

Bronze
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:25 am

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby subpoenacolada » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:35 am

RobinLeHood13 wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:Got In!!!! OOS, hope to work in Dallas after graduation. Anyone know anything about tuition waivers to get state tuition? I love to the school so much, now I just need to be able to afford it

Did you interview?



I did back, December 9th. App was complete 10/1.

On another note, I understand lawschool is an incredible amount of studying and that is the reason we are there, but earlier in the semester does anyone know if people go to the games at all?
Before people jump down my throat, I fully get it that law is not undergrad... I’m talking about a game in September or early October


Of course you can go to the games! Lol I guarantee you there are students in the law school who don’t miss a game all season. Of course law school is a lot more studying than we’re used to and you do have to give up a big chunk of the free time you’re used to having, but if you don’t maintain hobbies or SOME kind of weekly activity unrelated to law, you will lose your mind.

User avatar
wmbuff

Bronze
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby wmbuff » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:41 am

Bad news in the poll, folks. After holding steady without anyone indicating they were dinged after an interview, we finally have someone who was. Not sure who it is, but it certainly erodes the margin of comfort that the interview request gave me.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobinLeHood13

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:33 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby RobinLeHood13 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:39 pm

subpoenacolada wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:Got In!!!! OOS, hope to work in Dallas after graduation. Anyone know anything about tuition waivers to get state tuition? I love to the school so much, now I just need to be able to afford it

Did you interview?



I did back, December 9th. App was complete 10/1.

On another note, I understand lawschool is an incredible amount of studying and that is the reason we are there, but earlier in the semester does anyone know if people go to the games at all?
Before people jump down my throat, I fully get it that law is not undergrad... I’m talking about a game in September or early October


Of course you can go to the games! Lol I guarantee you there are students in the law school who don’t miss a game all season. Of course law school is a lot more studying than we’re used to and you do have to give up a big chunk of the free time you’re used to having, but if you don’t maintain hobbies or SOME kind of weekly activity unrelated to law, you will lose your mind.



Ha sweet, I asked a guy at Georgetown how he likes DC and the guy told me he hadn’t gone out yet that semester, that he doesn’t have time to do anything but study. It was the middle of October. I assumed he was lying or doing so much that it was counter productive. Even if you’re putting in 80 hrs a week, you still have time to break away a little bit. I feel like that story sums up just about every person from other schools that I’ve spoken with.

bigflaw_ruleofjaw

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby bigflaw_ruleofjaw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:33 pm

In! 3.56, 173, OOS (although I live in Austin now). I went complete in Oct and interviewed a few weeks ago. I didn't think my interview was all that great, for anyone still waiting and concerned about that.

User avatar
HenryHankPalmer

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:40 pm

bigflaw_ruleofjaw wrote:In! 3.56, 173, OOS (although I live in Austin now). I went complete in Oct and interviewed a few weeks ago. I didn't think my interview was all that great, for anyone still waiting and concerned about that.

How were you notified?

bigflaw_ruleofjaw

New
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby bigflaw_ruleofjaw » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Received a call yesterday and got the package in the mail today.

User avatar
amta

Platinum
Posts: 9459
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby amta » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:08 pm

RobinLeHood13 wrote:
subpoenacolada wrote:Of course you can go to the games! Lol I guarantee you there are students in the law school who don’t miss a game all season. Of course law school is a lot more studying than we’re used to and you do have to give up a big chunk of the free time you’re used to having, but if you don’t maintain hobbies or SOME kind of weekly activity unrelated to law, you will lose your mind.



Ha sweet, I asked a guy at Georgetown how he likes DC and the guy told me he hadn’t gone out yet that semester, that he doesn’t have time to do anything but study. It was the middle of October. I assumed he was lying or doing so much that it was counter productive. Even if you’re putting in 80 hrs a week, you still have time to break away a little bit. I feel like that story sums up just about every person from other schools that I’ve spoken with.


the law students still go to games.

if you aren't going out and it's only october, you are probably hating life and not helping yourself at all.

User avatar
Tx878

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby Tx878 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

RobinLeHood13 wrote:
NeneLeakesss_409 wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:Got In!!!! OOS, hope to work in Dallas after graduation. Anyone know anything about tuition waivers to get state tuition? I love to the school so much, now I just need to be able to afford it

Did you interview?



I did back, December 9th. App was complete 10/1.

On another note, I understand lawschool is an incredible amount of studying and that is the reason we are there, but earlier in the semester does anyone know if people go to the games at all?
Before people jump down my throat, I fully get it that law is not undergrad... I’m talking about a game in September or early October



I didn't miss a game all season! Just took a little time management towards the end

User avatar
urmlaw17

Bronze
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby urmlaw17 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:35 pm

If I submitted my app in early November and still have not gotten an interview request, is that a bad sign? :(

rtango

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby rtango » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:10 pm

Got the call today, I'm in! I applied ED, interviewed in November, got switched to RD in December.

162, 3.88

Some additional info for those who have private messaged me - I sent a LOCI after being switched. I did not submit a "Why Texas" because I would have just repeated what I said in the interview.

Oh, and I'm in-state!
Last edited by rtango on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SusanSays

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:48 am

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby SusanSays » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:52 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:If I submitted my app in early November and still have not gotten an interview request, is that a bad sign? :(


I'm in the same boat with you. Hope this is not a ding sign :cry:

User avatar
alykdesire

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:49 am

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby alykdesire » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm

Submitted my application on 12/27 and went complete yesterday. Got an interview invite today! :D

Tycho_Brohey

New
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby Tycho_Brohey » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm

Anyone else freaking out about Texas?

I applied end of October, in state, 3.8x GPA and 170 LSAT. Submitted my interview at some point in November and now I’m just sitting here.

There have been tons of admits between here and reddit. There doesn’t appear to be any real rhyme or reason to it. Plenty of in state, plenty OOS, some with better stats than mine, others with worse stats.

I suppose I could explain it away via my December retake, but I’m still super antsy.

austinlove

New
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby austinlove » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:30 pm

i have above both 75th and in state and haven't heard since interview, complete early november, same boat!
Last edited by austinlove on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alykdesire

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:49 am

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby alykdesire » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Also, how long did it take yall to hear back after the interview? (For those who have heard back already)
Last edited by alykdesire on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sev

Bronze
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby sev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:15 pm

alykdesire wrote:Anyone else feel like they didn't do SUPER well on the interview. I felt like my 1st and 3rd answers were fine, but my second was a little bit jumbled.

Yeah my interview probably won't help me. I usually do pretty well with recorded stuff but a minute and a half is just awkward for my storytelling manner of talking--it's too long to just give a straightfoward answer, but too short to expound much and tell a story.

By contrast my Northwestern Kira interview (which only allows one minute per answer) was great and I feel like I really knocked a couple of the answers out of the park because I was just focused on giving a straightforward answer and not caring if I didn't fill time.

I should've noticed this before the interview during practice but nerves got the better of me. :/ c'est la vie.

User avatar
urmlaw17

Bronze
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby urmlaw17 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:23 pm

SusanSays wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:If I submitted my app in early November and still have not gotten an interview request, is that a bad sign? :(


I'm in the same boat with you. Hope this is not a ding sign :cry:



I hope so too. I really UT and would be very happy there. sigh.

tony_dirko

New
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:49 am

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby tony_dirko » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:25 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
SusanSays wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:If I submitted my app in early November and still have not gotten an interview request, is that a bad sign? :(


I'm in the same boat with you. Hope this is not a ding sign :cry:



I hope so too. I really UT and would be very happy there. sigh.


I applied ED in early October and was moved to RD on 12/14, and still haven't received a request. I feel like there are plenty of interview requests coming because if a lack of request was an automatic rejection, I'm not sure why I wouldn't have been rejected by now.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby heyduchess » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:32 pm

sev wrote:
alykdesire wrote:Anyone else feel like they didn't do SUPER well on the interview. I felt like my 1st and 3rd answers were fine, but my second was a little bit jumbled.

Yeah my interview probably won't help me. I usually do pretty well with recorded stuff but a minute and a half is just awkward for my storytelling manner of talking--it's too long to just give a straightfoward answer, but too short to expound much and tell a story.

By contrast my Northwestern Kira interview (which only allows one minute per answer) was great and I feel like I really knocked a couple of the answers out of the park because I was just focused on giving a straightforward answer and not caring if I didn't fill time.

I should've noticed this before the interview during practice but nerves got the better of me. :/ c'est la vie.


Oh I totally didn't use the full 1:30. I think I hit 1:10, 1:20 and just ended it. Is that bad?

User avatar
Zero Hedge

New
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby Zero Hedge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:35 pm

heyduchess wrote:
sev wrote:
alykdesire wrote:Anyone else feel like they didn't do SUPER well on the interview. I felt like my 1st and 3rd answers were fine, but my second was a little bit jumbled.

Yeah my interview probably won't help me. I usually do pretty well with recorded stuff but a minute and a half is just awkward for my storytelling manner of talking--it's too long to just give a straightfoward answer, but too short to expound much and tell a story.

By contrast my Northwestern Kira interview (which only allows one minute per answer) was great and I feel like I really knocked a couple of the answers out of the park because I was just focused on giving a straightforward answer and not caring if I didn't fill time.

I should've noticed this before the interview during practice but nerves got the better of me. :/ c'est la vie.


Oh I totally didn't use the full 1:30. I think I hit 1:10, 1:20 and just ended it. Is that bad?


Highly doubt it. I'd rather have that happen than see I'm at 1:20 and realize I have to wrap it up when I'm in the middle of my answer.

sev

Bronze
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby sev » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:11 pm

heyduchess wrote:
sev wrote:
alykdesire wrote:Anyone else feel like they didn't do SUPER well on the interview. I felt like my 1st and 3rd answers were fine, but my second was a little bit jumbled.

Yeah my interview probably won't help me. I usually do pretty well with recorded stuff but a minute and a half is just awkward for my storytelling manner of talking--it's too long to just give a straightfoward answer, but too short to expound much and tell a story.

By contrast my Northwestern Kira interview (which only allows one minute per answer) was great and I feel like I really knocked a couple of the answers out of the park because I was just focused on giving a straightforward answer and not caring if I didn't fill time.

I should've noticed this before the interview during practice but nerves got the better of me. :/ c'est la vie.


Oh I totally didn't use the full 1:30. I think I hit 1:10, 1:20 and just ended it. Is that bad?

Yeah no, definitely not. If I had to do it again I'd shoot for 45 seconds to a minute.

User avatar
heyduchess

Silver
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby heyduchess » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:24 pm

sev wrote:
heyduchess wrote:
sev wrote:
alykdesire wrote:Anyone else feel like they didn't do SUPER well on the interview. I felt like my 1st and 3rd answers were fine, but my second was a little bit jumbled.

Yeah my interview probably won't help me. I usually do pretty well with recorded stuff but a minute and a half is just awkward for my storytelling manner of talking--it's too long to just give a straightfoward answer, but too short to expound much and tell a story.

By contrast my Northwestern Kira interview (which only allows one minute per answer) was great and I feel like I really knocked a couple of the answers out of the park because I was just focused on giving a straightforward answer and not caring if I didn't fill time.

I should've noticed this before the interview during practice but nerves got the better of me. :/ c'est la vie.


Oh I totally didn't use the full 1:30. I think I hit 1:10, 1:20 and just ended it. Is that bad?

Yeah no, definitely not. If I had to do it again I'd shoot for 45 seconds to a minute.


Ending answers like...
[+] Spoiler
Image

manchesterengland

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:59 am

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby manchesterengland » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 am

Checking in! Applied 12/14, and my application hasn't had any movement since it went complete on 12/18. So I just submitted a Why Texas and am crossing my fingers that will help!

rtango

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby rtango » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm

alykdesire wrote:Also, how long did it take yall to hear back after the interview? (For those who have heard back already)


I heard ~2.5 weeks after my application went complete.

User avatar
HenryHankPalmer

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: Texas Law Class of 2021 Applicants (2017-2018 cycle)

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:01 pm

In! Just got the call. In-state, RD. Applied on Grey Day in October, and interviewed in mid-December. I'm a splitter so there is hope!



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests