Michigan Law c/o 2021 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your ~status~?

Accepted, attending, dancing in the streets
3%
Accepted, trying to figure out how to get more $$
15%
Accepted, waiting anxiously on my financial aid package
3%
Accepted, going to ASW 1
5%
Accepted, going to ASW 2
7%
Waiting anxiously on my acceptance
61%
Getting my apps in over winter break
1%
Applying in February just for the heck of it, will be reapplying
3%
In high school, lurking
3%

Total votes: 117

InterLaw

Bronze

Re: Michigan Law c/o 2021 Applicants

Postby InterLaw » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm IN! Got the e-mail 5 hours ago but just noticed it!

Congrats to the others who got the big news today and if you didn't well don't give up, I definitely had a couple of weak points in my app...

172/S, BobbyAx on LSN for timings :mrgreen:

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Platopus wrote:
InterLaw wrote:I'm IN! Got the e-mail 5 hours ago but just noticed it!

Congrats to the others who got the big news today and if you didn't well don't give up, I definitely had a couple of weak points in my app...

Congrats!!!

Thanks and congrats back buddy!

Lagentblaugrana

New

Postby Lagentblaugrana » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:30 pm

InterLaw wrote:I'm IN! Got the e-mail 5 hours ago but just noticed it!

Congrats! No GPA = best GPA

xinaialice

New

Postby xinaialice » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:02 pm

congrats to y'all who got in today!!

GotLost

New

Postby GotLost » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:07 am

dm1683 wrote:
GotLost wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
rachelac wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Congrats everybody!

Im still waiting, submitted 10/19...the notion that there's something terribly wrong with my application is starting to creep up on me...

Platopus and I both submitted the first ten days apps were open, went complete at a normal time, are from the Midwest, and still missed the first FOUR waves. Please don't panic! (Though as someone who spent the last two weeks panicking, I know that's easier said than done.) I'm sure you're fine and they're just being weird.

Thanks for the reassurance and congrats again!

i am also from the midwest, and own a cheese head. sooo lets get on with it michigan

Fellow cheese head pining for Michigan here.

do you still have ptsd from sunday like I do??

I'm just putting all my hopes on the Badgers this year.

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Postby thepsychedelic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:37 pm

just went complete! exactly 2 weeks since sending
Last edited by thepsychedelic on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Postby OakBrook2021 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:06 pm

Last edited by OakBrook2021 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:18 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:Anyone's package have an invite to interview for a Darrow? Mine did not, just wondering

Do they normally send those out with the packets? I thought all that happened later in the cycle, like in January when they release $ info

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm going to assume there will be no movement the next few days due to the holiday. I will still check the status checker each morning nonetheless :mrgreen:

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Postby OakBrook2021 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:02 pm

InterLaw wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Anyone's package have an invite to interview for a Darrow? Mine did not, just wondering

Do they normally send those out with the packets? I thought all that happened later in the cycle, like in January when they release $ info

Ok that's what I thought. Just making sure haha

InterLaw

Bronze

Postby InterLaw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:53 pm

OakBrook2021 wrote:
InterLaw wrote:

Wait I have no reference for that, it's just my guess...

Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze

Postby Bush v. Gorgeous » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:17 pm

InterLaw wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:
InterLaw wrote:

Wait I have no reference for that, it's just my guess...

No sordid mention of $$$ in my packet.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Postby OakBrook2021 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Last edited by OakBrook2021 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhMyLaw

New

Postby OhMyLaw » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:33 am

Hai friends I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether it would be weird to send in an lsat addendum after I've submitted and gone under review? I was really rushing to apply as early as possible (super lame excuse I know). For what it's worth, this is my second app cycle (but first time applying to Michigan) and the adennum basically explains how my dad was unemployed when I was going into my last year of undergrad so I essentially had to work extra hours vs studying for the lsat. Thanks for any inputs :)

malysh

New

Postby malysh » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:18 am

OhMyLaw wrote:Hai friends I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether it would be weird to send in an lsat addendum after I've submitted and gone under review? I was really rushing to apply as early as possible (super lame excuse I know). For what it's worth, this is my second app cycle (but first time applying to Michigan) and the adennum basically explains how my dad was unemployed when I was going into my last year of undergrad so I essentially had to work extra hours vs studying for the lsat. Thanks for any inputs :)

I wouldn't write an addendum. I'm 100% sure working those extra hours was tough and put you at a disadvantage. But a lot of people work crazy hours, go to school, and take the LSAT. It just seems like a bad excuse. Law school workload is pretty demanding and using this as an excuse could make adcom question if you could handle it.

Platopus

Silver

Postby Platopus » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Platopus wrote:
OakBrook2021 wrote:Ok same, no mention of $$$ in mine. I feel like what InterLaw said is definitely right....read it somewhere but can't remember

Yeah, I remember reading it somewhere too

$$$ is figured out after you've been accepted, and you'll receive an email when they decide on an amount. You receive an email even if they're not offering you any money - if they stay true to how they handled schollies last cycle.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:17 pm

brinicolec wrote:$$$ is figured out after you've been accepted, and you'll receive an email when they decide on an amount. You receive an email even if they're not offering you any money - if they stay true to how they handled schollies last cycle.

Is there a general time frame of when they decide on financial aid money? I know applying for it opens up in march, but assuming you apply as soon as you're able to, does it take a long time to hear back about it?

OhMyLaw

New

Postby OhMyLaw » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:57 pm

Platopus wrote:
malysh wrote:
OhMyLaw wrote:Hai friends I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to whether it would be weird to send in an lsat addendum after I've submitted and gone under review? I was really rushing to apply as early as possible (super lame excuse I know). For what it's worth, this is my second app cycle (but first time applying to Michigan) and the adennum basically explains how my dad was unemployed when I was going into my last year of undergrad so I essentially had to work extra hours vs studying for the lsat. Thanks for any inputs :)

I wouldn't write an addendum. I'm 100% sure working those extra hours was tough and put you at a disadvantage. But a lot of people work crazy hours, go to school, and take the LSAT. It just seems like a bad excuse. Law school workload is pretty demanding and using this as an excuse could make adcom question if you could handle it.

+1 Don't write that addendum

Thanks for your feedback everyone! I actually talked to my pre law counselor last cycle and she thought that it would be a good idea to write the addendum. I guess I'm just worried that the addendum was the reason that I even got waitlisted by schools beyond my reach last cycle (versus outright rejected). But I'll definitely take your advice into account as well!

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Postby Jack_Kelly » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:08 pm

OhMyLaw wrote:Thanks for your feedback everyone! I actually talked to my pre law counselor last cycle and she thought that it would be a good idea to write the addendum. I guess I'm just worried that the addendum was the reason that I even got waitlisted by schools beyond my reach last cycle (versus outright rejected). But I'll definitely take your advice into account as well!

I think TLS's general advice is never to listen to pre-law counselors.

brinicolec

Gold

Postby brinicolec » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:06 am

Mikey wrote:
brinicolec wrote:$$$ is figured out after you've been accepted, and you'll receive an email when they decide on an amount. You receive an email even if they're not offering you any money - if they stay true to how they handled schollies last cycle.

Is there a general time frame of when they decide on financial aid money? I know applying for it opens up in march, but assuming you apply as soon as you're able to, does it take a long time to hear back about it?

Hm... I don't remember it taking terribly long. I don't see my original scholarship email but I got my final scholarship amount by the end of March and I waited awhile after my initial offer because I was deciding some stuff.

Mikey

Platinum

Postby Mikey » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:51 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Hm... I don't remember it taking terribly long. I don't see my original scholarship email but I got my final scholarship amount by the end of March and I waited awhile after my initial offer because I was deciding some stuff.

hmm alrighty, thanks! :)

Teacher

New

Postby Teacher » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:32 pm

malysh wrote:Also a 1L. Happy to answer questions :D

How do slightly older (late 20s/ early 30s) 1Ls fair in Ann Arbor? I love the vibe from Michigan’s promotional materials, and I’ve only heard great things about it, but I’m worried about having a social/ dating life not in a city. (Also worried that I’ll want to hibernate all winter, coming from the south :? )

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?