Page 2 of 4

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:00 pm
by Pewpew
Scheduled my interview! :D

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:17 pm
by Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
hamshotfirst wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Current 1L here, feel free to ask any questions!

- Someone from the Northeast who, this time last year, couldn't think about coming to Vandy but ended up loving everything about it here.


Thanks so much for being open to questions! I'm also from the northeast (Boston), and I'm really hoping to practice in the south, so Vandy is definitely a top choice for me. Do you have any advice for splitters? I've drafted a "why Vandy" essay and plan on interviewing, but of course I'm looking for any and all ways to improve my chances and demonstrate my ability to them!

Thanks in advance!


No problem at all! I think you have a pretty solid gameplan so far! I think the only thing I can add is that make them know absolutely how much you want to come to Vandy as they really want people that actually want to be here. I also think that visiting Vandy (if you can) can absolutely help you show how serious you are in your interest.

From my experience here so far, I think Vandy looks for a specific and common characteristic in the student body: people that take their work seriously BUT not themselves seriously. I think 95% of the people i've met here are the non-gunner types that want to enjoy law school while they're here. Definitely show that during your interview!

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 pm
by emilyLl
Interviewed over the weekend. VERY casual/relaxed, I wore business attire and my interviewer was in jeans. He asked me 3 or 4 questions from my resume, and then I asked him questions about his experience and we chatted generally about the culture at Vandy for the rest of the time. Lasted exactly an hour.

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm
by hamshotfirst
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
hamshotfirst wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Current 1L here, feel free to ask any questions!

- Someone from the Northeast who, this time last year, couldn't think about coming to Vandy but ended up loving everything about it here.


Thanks so much for being open to questions! I'm also from the northeast (Boston), and I'm really hoping to practice in the south, so Vandy is definitely a top choice for me. Do you have any advice for splitters? I've drafted a "why Vandy" essay and plan on interviewing, but of course I'm looking for any and all ways to improve my chances and demonstrate my ability to them!

Thanks in advance!


No problem at all! I think you have a pretty solid gameplan so far! I think the only thing I can add is that make them know absolutely how much you want to come to Vandy as they really want people that actually want to be here. I also think that visiting Vandy (if you can) can absolutely help you show how serious you are in your interest.

From my experience here so far, I think Vandy looks for a specific and common characteristic in the student body: people that take their work seriously BUT not themselves seriously. I think 95% of the people i've met here are the non-gunner types that want to enjoy law school while they're here. Definitely show that during your interview!


Thanks so much for the reply! This is really helpful, especially making it known that I don't take myself so seriously. I definitely get that vibe from everything I've read about Vandy, so it's great to know that's something they foster!

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:46 am
by Jack_Kelly
Oh god, they see my pathetic CV before the interview :|

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 pm
by seanbodonovan
Checking in. I'm interviewing tomorrow in Atlanta.

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:29 pm
by dinizdeoliveira
Checking in! Went complete last Friday and just had my online interview. It was very relaxed, the admissons officer who interviewed me was a delight.

Quick question: I may be going nuts, but do we have to report that the interview did in fact happen to the admissions office? I could have sworn that I read something about emailing Vanderbilt once it was done, but maybe I am mixing things up since I can no longer find this requirement on the website.

Thanks!

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:34 pm
by seanbodonovan
dinizdeoliveira wrote:Checking in! Went complete last Friday and just had my online interview. It was very relaxed, the admissons officer who interviewed me was a delight.

Quick question: I may be going nuts, but do we have to report that the interview did in fact happen to the admissions office? I could have sworn that I read something about emailing Vanderbilt once it was done, but maybe I am mixing things up since I can no longer find this requirement on the website.

Thanks!


I'm pretty sure that you don't have to do anything. The interviewer will confirm that the interview has taken place.

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:49 pm
by dinizdeoliveira
seanbodonovan wrote:
dinizdeoliveira wrote:Checking in! Went complete last Friday and just had my online interview. It was very relaxed, the admissons officer who interviewed me was a delight.

Quick question: I may be going nuts, but do we have to report that the interview did in fact happen to the admissions office? I could have sworn that I read something about emailing Vanderbilt once it was done, but maybe I am mixing things up since I can no longer find this requirement on the website.

Thanks!


I'm pretty sure that you don't have to do anything. The interviewer will confirm that the interview has taken place.


Yeah, it seems that way as per the website. I guess I mistook it for something else. Thanks!

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:49 pm
by Pewpew
Anyone have their alumni interview yet? How was it? Mine is soon! :o

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:21 pm
by doublepug
Pewpew wrote:Anyone have their alumni interview yet? How was it? Mine is soon! :o


I had mine last week at a coffee shop! it was very casual and more the alumn talking up the school and asking why law and why Vandy. I did get asked how i handled a problem/challenging situation so maybe prepare that?
it last 45 min- 1 hour

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:50 pm
by Pewpew
Thank you. Appreciate your insight.

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:18 pm
by seanbodonovan
Pewpew wrote:Anyone have their alumni interview yet? How was it? Mine is soon! :o


I had mine this Sunday. It was just an informal conversation. No need to stress it. My interviewer shared her personal experience and answered all my questions for me. Just make sure you're ready to talk about why you want to go to Vanderbilt Law.

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:38 pm
by laowhynot109
Did anyone write a Why Vandy essay? Or is it safe to just use the interview to express your interest?

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:58 am
by Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
laowhynot109 wrote:Did anyone write a Why Vandy essay? Or is it safe to just use the interview to express your interest?


But since everyone interviews, I'm sure you'll be able to stand out without writing a "Why vandy!"

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:34 am
by dietcoked
Is the general consensus that, if possible, an off-campus interview is better than an online interview or does it not matter?

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:21 am
by wolfonlawstreet
Checking in!

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:17 pm
by DistrictDisaster
Checking in too!!

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:53 pm
by King of the North
Jumping the gun here. Taking in Dec. and Vandy is my top choice unless I blow the LSAT out of the water. GPA is a 3.5. I'm not technically an URM (Middle Eastern but they categorize us as Caucasian). Hoping a diversity statement will help me stand out as a minority, as well as my 2 years of experience at a big law firm here in Nashville with plenty of Vandy alums. Hoping I have a good shot with around a 168.

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:59 pm
by doublepug
has anyone had their status checker change after their interview? mine still just says complete and interview was last week

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:04 pm
by The Abyss
doublepug wrote:has anyone had their status checker change after their interview? mine still just says complete and interview was last week


IIRC it won't change until a decision is made.

Also, current 2L here. Feel free to pm me questions or tag me in this thread with a question.

Good luck y'all!

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:35 pm
by arklaw13
dietcoked wrote:Is the general consensus that, if possible, an off-campus interview is better than an online interview or does it not matter?


You mean doing an in-person interview vs. Skype? I do alumni interviews, and at least from my perspective it doesn't matter.

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:36 pm
by Slippin' Jimmy
Did my in person alumni interview earlier this week, was very relaxed and enjoyable!

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 am
by Pewpew
Has anyone who has already interviewed got an email yet about being under review? When does Vandy release its first set of decisions. Anxiously waiting... :P

EDIT: "In general, decisions on files completed and submitted for review in September and October are normally rendered from December through January." Seems so far away ahh!

Re: Vanderbilt Law School c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:01 am
by emilyLl
Pewpew wrote:Has anyone who has already interviewed got an email yet about being under review? When does Vandy release its first set of decisions. Anxiously waiting... :P

EDIT: "In general, decisions on files completed and submitted for review in September and October are normally rendered from December through January." Seems so far away ahh!


I believe last year there were acceptances in November, and my alumni interviewer also alluded to November as when some decisions will be ready.