Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Did you/will you submit a Why Berkeley?

Poll runs till Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:44 am

Yes
70
76%
No
15
16%
I have a 4.0/180
7
8%
 
Total votes: 92

gmg
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby gmg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:58 pm

bbwannabe wrote:
tb89 wrote:anyone know if ED decisions are also rolling? or are they all going out in December at the same time?


It says on their twitter that early decisions are out December 2nd.


I also applied ED. What do your guys' stats look like?

TrustMeImALawStudent
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby TrustMeImALawStudent » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:31 pm

I'm also at Berkeley Law. I'll try to chip in to answer questions, too.

AaronCarter
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby AaronCarter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:43 pm

TrustMeImALawStudent wrote:I'm also at Berkeley Law. I'll try to chip in to answer questions, too.


Would you say going to Berkeley at sticker is a wise financial choice?

Also, for students who are at median at Berk, are they still able to land 160k+ jobs with relative ease?

annazork
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby annazork » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Also a 1L @ Berk, happy to answer any q's.

annazork
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby annazork » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:00 pm

People who have gotten straight P's still land Big Law, yes.

AaronCarter wrote:
TrustMeImALawStudent wrote:I'm also at Berkeley Law. I'll try to chip in to answer questions, too.


Would you say going to Berkeley at sticker is a wise financial choice?

Also, for students who are at median at Berk, are they still able to land 160k+ jobs with relative ease?

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:08 pm

annazork wrote:People who have gotten straight P's still land Big Law, yes.

AaronCarter wrote:
TrustMeImALawStudent wrote:I'm also at Berkeley Law. I'll try to chip in to answer questions, too.


Would you say going to Berkeley at sticker is a wise financial choice?

Also, for students who are at median at Berk, are they still able to land 160k+ jobs with relative ease?


going to just about any law school at sticker price is not a wise financial decision

User avatar
soca_dancer
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:13 am

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby soca_dancer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Does Berkeley have a voluntary (aka required) interview process for admission?

annazork
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby annazork » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:38 pm

soca_dancer wrote:Does Berkeley have a voluntary (aka required) interview process for admission?


no

User avatar
gayfish
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby gayfish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:03 am

Checking in! Submitted on Monday and went under review yesterday -- is the turnaround normally that fast, or can I keep telling myself that they must really love me? 25 < GPA < Med; LSAT >>75, from the Bay.

HEARTH
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:59 am

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby HEARTH » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:20 am

gayfish wrote:Checking in! Submitted on Monday and went under review yesterday -- is the turnaround normally that fast, or can I keep telling myself that they must really love me? 25 < GPA < Med; LSAT >>75, from the Bay.

That is really fast. Submitted on 27/10, still did not get the under review email

bbwannabe
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby bbwannabe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 am

.
Last edited by bbwannabe on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gayfish
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby gayfish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:50 am

bbwannabe wrote:
gayfish wrote:Checking in! Submitted on Monday and went under review yesterday -- is the turnaround normally that fast, or can I keep telling myself that they must really love me? 25 < GPA < Med; LSAT >>75, from the Bay.


Submitted 28th. nothing yet :/ are you doing ED? or maybe they want your high lsat :o


No ED, no URM, so either they love their CA natives or they love that sweet sweet 175+ LSAT. Ideal outcome is to move back to California, and Stanford is a fickle mistress, so I'm really counting on Berk to pull through for me. Really wish I could go back in time and buy past me a fancy ass steak for actually sticking with LSAT prep for 5 long long months and not settling earlier. YOU MADE THE RIGHT CALL PAST ME, PROUD OF YOU!!

Wakhancorridor
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Wakhancorridor » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
annazork wrote:People who have gotten straight P's still land Big Law, yes.

AaronCarter wrote:
TrustMeImALawStudent wrote:I'm also at Berkeley Law. I'll try to chip in to answer questions, too.


Would you say going to Berkeley at sticker is a wise financial choice?

Also, for students who are at median at Berk, are they still able to land 160k+ jobs with relative ease?


going to just about any law school at sticker price is not a wise financial decision



Don't go to law school unless you're getting a good discount. The more debt you have, the more doors you close several years out of law school

tb89
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby tb89 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:54 pm

gayfish wrote:
bbwannabe wrote:
gayfish wrote:Checking in! Submitted on Monday and went under review yesterday -- is the turnaround normally that fast, or can I keep telling myself that they must really love me? 25 < GPA < Med; LSAT >>75, from the Bay.


Submitted 28th. nothing yet :/ are you doing ED? or maybe they want your high lsat :o


No ED, no URM, so either they love their CA natives or they love that sweet sweet 175+ LSAT. Ideal outcome is to move back to California, and Stanford is a fickle mistress, so I'm really counting on Berk to pull through for me. Really wish I could go back in time and buy past me a fancy ass steak for actually sticking with LSAT prep for 5 long long months and not settling earlier. YOU MADE THE RIGHT CALL PAST ME, PROUD OF YOU!!



I got the email saying my file was complete, and my status still just says "your file is complete." Does that mean I'm under review or another email is forthcoming?

User avatar
gayfish
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby gayfish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:22 pm

tb89 wrote:
gayfish wrote:
bbwannabe wrote:
gayfish wrote:Checking in! Submitted on Monday and went under review yesterday -- is the turnaround normally that fast, or can I keep telling myself that they must really love me? 25 < GPA < Med; LSAT >>75, from the Bay.


Submitted 28th. nothing yet :/ are you doing ED? or maybe they want your high lsat :o


No ED, no URM, so either they love their CA natives or they love that sweet sweet 175+ LSAT. Ideal outcome is to move back to California, and Stanford is a fickle mistress, so I'm really counting on Berk to pull through for me. Really wish I could go back in time and buy past me a fancy ass steak for actually sticking with LSAT prep for 5 long long months and not settling earlier. YOU MADE THE RIGHT CALL PAST ME, PROUD OF YOU!!



I got the email saying my file was complete, and my status still just says "your file is complete." Does that mean I'm under review or another email is forthcoming?


I actually never got a "your file is complete" email. I got my application received/status checker email on Tuesday, and got an email with the subject "Berkeley Law Application Under Review" late last night.

gmg
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby gmg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:39 pm

Has anyone gone under review that applied ED? If not, I kind of get the sense that we're all just going to get our decisions on December 2.

bbwannabe
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby bbwannabe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 pm

.
Last edited by bbwannabe on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmg
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby gmg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:17 pm

bbwannabe wrote:
gmg wrote:Has anyone gone under review that applied ED? If not, I kind of get the sense that we're all just going to get our decisions on December 2.


Yeah, I think for ED applicants UR doesn't really matter - we'll all get decisions on Dec.2nd.

Also, do you guys think ED will be more competitive than RD since they give u money? ( it's only 20k a year but still)


I think you're probably right about UR not really mattering. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get our RD if we don't get ED. I say it will probably be within a week or two.

My gut says it will be more competitive because of the money, but I guess it really depends on what the ED applicant pool looks like.

Veil of Ignorance
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:05 pm

annazork wrote:Also a 1L @ Berk, happy to answer any q's.

Is there a study abroad option at Berkeley?

annazork
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby annazork » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
annazork wrote:Also a 1L @ Berk, happy to answer any q's.

Is there a study abroad option at Berkeley?


There are plenty of ways to study abroad @ Berkeley. Here are some places that you can apply: https://www.law.berkeley.edu/experienti ... placement/
This list is not exhaustive. Most people find opportunities through professors or the CDO, from my uderstanding.

They also just launched a Haugue program that honestly I don't know much about, but looks cool: https://www.law.berkeley.edu/experienti ... e-program/

You have to be a 2L or 3L to do a full semester away.

There are also summer jobs abroad that Berk students apply for, for example my friend is applying for an in-house Nestle summer job in Switzerland.

Veil of Ignorance
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:43 pm

annazork wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
annazork wrote:Also a 1L @ Berk, happy to answer any q's.

Is there a study abroad option at Berkeley?


There are plenty of ways to study abroad @ Berkeley. Here are some places that you can apply: https://www.law.berkeley.edu/experienti ... placement/
This list is not exhaustive. Most people find opportunities through professors or the CDO, from my uderstanding.

They also just launched a Haugue program that honestly I don't know much about, but looks cool: https://www.law.berkeley.edu/experienti ... e-program/

You have to be a 2L or 3L to do a full semester away.

There are also summer jobs abroad that Berk students apply for, for example my friend is applying for an in-house Nestle summer job in Switzerland.

These are interesting programs, thanks for the info! Does Berkeley offer the ability to study at a foreign law faculty?

User avatar
sharris2017
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby sharris2017 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 pm

Submitted.

cooleyclassof2021
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:13 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby cooleyclassof2021 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Loved the idea of Berkeley for the longest time, but was super upset by the closed-mindedness of several students. I know I shouldn't base a decision off of a couple outliers but dang

Wakhancorridor
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Wakhancorridor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:49 pm

cooleyclassof2021 wrote:Loved the idea of Berkeley for the longest time, but was super upset by the closed-mindedness of several students. I know I shouldn't base a decision off of a couple outliers but dang


Elaborate more and I can provide some insight into whether your concerns are legitimate or not

User avatar
NeneLeakesss_409
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Re: Berkeley Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby NeneLeakesss_409 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Checking in. Went under review on 10/2. How soon do applicants typically hear back?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”