Brooklyn Law School $$$scholarship$$$ Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rosetta

New

Re: Brooklyn Law School $$$scholarship$$$

Post by rosetta » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:03 pm

btw...is anyone going to the admitted students event tomorrow at BLS?

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:08 pm

rosetta wrote:Is Brooklyn a T2 school? I thought it was just a lower first tier?
It bounces around in the ranking from 53-60 year to year. However, it performs and accepts students the caliber of most of the mid Top 50 (acceptance number wise, it really should be around 35-40)

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:15 pm

nellie06 wrote:I fail to see how brooklyn provides superior job prospects to sju. Both are tier 2, at which point the rankings just group schools together as being 60's or 70's and below. The difference between the two schools is negligible. For both schools, the top 10% is what is going to have great job prospects. If anything sju is a better shot, because it has been around for far longer than brooklyn law, and has a more stronger alumni network in nyc. I don't see how passing on a full ride is worth it for another tier 2 school.

I agree with your point that job prospects is about the same. Top 10% will get you on top of the world at both schools. However, BLS has a longer history (1901 vs. 1925) and a much larger and stronger alumni base. BLS has a larger graduating class every year so the number of BLS alumni outnumber St. Johns'.

But in terms of job prospects, there are quite a number of partners from both schools in big law firms and counsel in local government/judiciary who are more than willing to help those from their alma mater.

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:38 pm

aximpod wrote:
nellie06 wrote:I fail to see how brooklyn provides superior job prospects to sju. Both are tier 2, at which point the rankings just group schools together as being 60's or 70's and below. The difference between the two schools is negligible. For both schools, the top 10% is what is going to have great job prospects. If anything sju is a better shot, because it has been around for far longer than brooklyn law, and has a more stronger alumni network in nyc. I don't see how passing on a full ride is worth it for another tier 2 school.

I agree with your point that job prospects is about the same. Top 10% will get you on top of the world at both schools. However, BLS has a longer history (1901 vs. 1925) and a much larger and stronger alumni base. BLS has a larger graduating class every year so the number of BLS alumni outnumber St. Johns'.

But in terms of job prospects, there are quite a number of partners from both schools in big law firms and counsel in local government/judiciary who are more than willing to help those from their alma mater.
Fair enough. I think it's debatable which school has a stronger base. I think sju is more prevalent in gov't and brooklyn might be more prevalent in biglaw. Regardless the schools are pretty much the same. I found it interesting that sju would over me a full ride, but brooklyn would only offer 8500/yr. As if I were having to choose between a full ride at bu, and 8500 at cornell. That's the only way a disparity like that makes sense between schools not too far from each other on the totem pole haha.

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:07 am

nellie06 wrote:Fair enough. I think it's debatable which school has a stronger base. I think sju is more prevalent in gov't and brooklyn might be more prevalent in biglaw. Regardless the schools are pretty much the same. I found it interesting that sju would over me a full ride, but brooklyn would only offer 8500/yr. As if I were having to choose between a full ride at bu, and 8500 at cornell. That's the only way a disparity like that makes sense between schools not too far from each other on the totem pole haha.
Yah. I never understood the difference in scholarship offered. Cardozo offered me 21k and refused to budge whereas BLS offered 27k initially and upped it to 32k when additional funds were made available.

I was tempted by SJU full scholarship last year but decided BLS was the place to be. The area and location sealed it for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:17 am

aximpod wrote:
nellie06 wrote:Fair enough. I think it's debatable which school has a stronger base. I think sju is more prevalent in gov't and brooklyn might be more prevalent in biglaw. Regardless the schools are pretty much the same. I found it interesting that sju would over me a full ride, but brooklyn would only offer 8500/yr. As if I were having to choose between a full ride at bu, and 8500 at cornell. That's the only way a disparity like that makes sense between schools not too far from each other on the totem pole haha.
Yah. I never understood the difference in scholarship offered. Cardozo offered me 21k and refused to budge whereas BLS offered 27k initially and upped it to 32k when additional funds were made available.

I was tempted by SJU full scholarship last year but decided BLS was the place to be. The area and location sealed it for me.
Nice! BLS was high on my list, because I assumed that especially in nyc, the competition for the top three of columbia,nyu, and fordham would be too much to overcome. Luckily my advisor told me to read up on gw in dc, and I liked what they had to over, and I got in. In a way i'm happy I got into a good school, but the fact that fordham wl'ed me annoys me. Being in nyc for law school was something I was big on. Oh well, I guess there's always transferring haha.

dyermaker16

New

Post by dyermaker16 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:54 am

-
Last edited by dyermaker16 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarajbj

New

Post by Sarajbj » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:42 am

dyermaker16 wrote:Did anyone else ask for more scholarship money? I emailed a letter addressed to the dean of admissions/fin aid last Monday - nothing back yet.
I called the office on Tuesday, she told me that because my scholarship was so high already the was nothing that could be done until probably May when they know for sure what money they have left and re-asses scholarship offers. I also faxed them a follow up letter with my documentation from other schools about their scholarships.

aximpod

New

Post by aximpod » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:41 pm

BLS came through and offered an additional 5K about a month and a half after my acceptance...like in April. I think it really depends on how much money is available after they get a firmer estimate of the incoming class.

So put your deposits in and several schools and see what happens (if you are under time pressure to pick a school).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:10 pm

What did everyone think about BLS' admitted students day??

I thought it was awesome! Everyone seemed so friendly. It seems like a lot of BLS students achieve biglaw.

Choosing b/t Fordham and BLS just got a lot more difficult.

Sarajbj

New

Post by Sarajbj » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:12 pm

rosetta wrote:What did everyone think about BLS' admitted students day??

I thought it was awesome! Everyone seemed so friendly. It seems like a lot of BLS students achieve biglaw.

I had planned on going today but last minute stuff came up, I'm planning on attending one in the future, probably not until June but I'm excited.

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Uhh..its about 40% at fordham, and about 10% at bls. Don't let people fool you. BLS and fordham are nowhere near equals. Unless you're getting a full-ride, picking bls over fordham makes little sense.

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:58 am

nellie06 wrote:

Uhh..its about 40% at fordham, and about 10% at bls. Don't let people fool you. BLS and fordham are nowhere near equals. Unless you're getting a full-ride, picking bls over fordham makes little sense.
but what if you are getting an almost full ride? therein lies the dilemma

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Outlawed

New

Post by Outlawed » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:22 pm

I'd probably choose BLS over FU at this point. FU has been horrible in responding to applicants this year and that certainly doesnt encourage me to attend.

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:24 pm

Outlawed wrote:I'd probably choose BLS over FU at this point. FU has been horrible in responding to applicants this year and that certainly doesnt encourage me to attend.
where are you planning to attend?

xhaust50

New

Post by xhaust50 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:09 pm

Outlawed wrote:I'd probably choose BLS over FU at this point. FU has been horrible in responding to applicants this year and that certainly doesnt encourage me to attend.
Although it might be discouraging, I hope you don't seriously reject a school from its application procedure. If/when you get it, you'll forget completely. I didn't hear a thing from Cardozo for the longest time, and then I got a full scholarship.

rosetta

New

Post by rosetta » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:38 pm

yeah, i agree. i don't think you should choose a school based solely on admissions office attitudes. Although, I must say, BLS is exceedingly nice and pleasant to deal with, which gives them a plus.

It's almost 2 weeks until I must select a school, and I'm still unsure b/t the 2! Fordham is great, but it's not in the top 15 and I'm just not sure it's totally worth the cost. Brooklyn, which is nearly free for me and has a fantastic alumni base that will probably get me the same jobs as Fordham as long as I stay in the top of the class. But there is no guarantee that I will be in the top of the class at either place. decisions decisions

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:11 pm

aximpod wrote:

More confusing: waitlistted at st johns, hofstra, and cardozo; full ride at brooklyn
Try explaining that one :-o

LB88

New

Post by LB88 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 am

goosey wrote:
aximpod wrote:

More confusing: waitlistted at st johns, hofstra, and cardozo; full ride at brooklyn
Try explaining that one :-o
I don't understand that at all. I was waitlisted after early ACTION at brooklyn and cardozo, but in with half scholarship at st. john's. may I ask what your stats are?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”