UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

I'm in and ED! See ya in Brentwood!
5%
Held for RD
4%
I'm in and RD!
22%
Waitlist Purgatory
20%
Rejected
23%
Left on "Read" (No response and it's been months and freaking TF out.)
26%

Total votes: 148

Mikey

Platinum

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Post by Mikey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:58 pm

so is the UCLA status checker like GULC's in that it's useless?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:21 pm

AaronCarter wrote:Is anyone else going to the diversity weekend during the first weekend in April?
It was the single best admissions event I attended last year, so I really hope everyone who is invited ends up attending.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
AaronCarter wrote:Is anyone else going to the diversity weekend during the first weekend in April?
It was the single best admissions event I attended last year, so I really hope everyone who is invited ends up attending.
wow, how so?

manchesterengland

New

Post by manchesterengland » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Has anyone else logged into MyLaw yet? If so, does your MyLaw page have any useful admitted student info? Mine does not...

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 am

foodlaw wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
wow, how so?
I'm not sure what the exact programming will be this year, but here's why I loved it so much based on last year's programming:

1. They put us up in a hotel for two nights. The Luskin Center (where they hosted us) is super nice, and you room with a fellow admit which I appreciated. It's super fun because the first night is just a dinner where you meet current UCLA students and talk about anything that comes to mind. The other admits were awesome too and a bunch of us went out after dinner to a bar in Westwood and just chilled.

2. The identity orgs have really great programming throughout the weekend. BLSA in particular invited everyone to a club in Downtown LA on Saturday night and had bottle service.

3. The actual event programming was pretty good too. It was mostly just panels with current UCLA students, and because it wasn't a full-blown ASW the events felt a lot more intimate. Saturday night had a mixer with a lot of current students so it was easy to speak with them one-on-one rather than having a bunch of people crowd around just a few students. Then they had a dinner where a bunch of alumni sat at each table; they were of varying ages so it gave a really nice sampling of what kind of careers you could pursue after graduating. Plus on Saturday afternoon they just bused us down to Santa Monica and let us do whatever. Was a really nice way to get a feel for how you can spend a weekend or your free time away from school.

4. I think the weekend does a really good job kind of highlighting how diverse and inclusive the school is, particularly in relation to peer schools. They just introduce you to so many current students, in addition to alumni and current staff, and it gives a really good feel for what the student experience is like and how the school can help you achieve your goals. It's hard for me to articulate, but I just had a really good vibe during the event that I didn't get anywhere else. Like I was just super comfortable the whole time. And I've been fortunate enough that my time here at UCLA Law has born that out; I felt like I could thrive here from Day 1 and luckily I have (so far).

5. Not to ramble on, but I found diversity weekend to be really unique. As a point of comparison, I loved WashU and Vandy's ASWs, but they were still the typical ASW programming where it's lots of panels on what programs the school offers, job placement and career services, etc. The UCLA diversity weekend is really less about the school's programs (because ASW on Sunday covers that) and is really all about introducing admits to student life at UCLA by giving you a taste of what your peers will be like here, what the culture feels like, and how living in LA as a student will be. I met a lot of great people, had a lot of fun, and came away feeling like UCLA was a place where I could be my best self.

Full disclosure, I was pretty dead-set on attending Vandy before I went to the diversity event. It really swayed me towards UCLA and I've been pleased as punch ever since. I feel guilty saying this but I love law school and UCLA is a big reason why.

I know a lot of people ended up choosing UCLA in large part because of the event; my small section alone has three people I hung out with during the weekend, which was a pretty cool coincidence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheEagle1234

New

Post by TheEagle1234 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Can someone post the link for the online status checker, I can't find it anywhere.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:34 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
foodlaw wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
wow, how so?
I'm not sure what the exact programming will be this year, but here's why I loved it so much based on last year's programming:

1. They put us up in a hotel for two nights. The Luskin Center (where they hosted us) is super nice, and you room with a fellow admit which I appreciated. It's super fun because the first night is just a dinner where you meet current UCLA students and talk about anything that comes to mind. The other admits were awesome too and a bunch of us went out after dinner to a bar in Westwood and just chilled.

2. The identity orgs have really great programming throughout the weekend. BLSA in particular invited everyone to a club in Downtown LA on Saturday night and had bottle service.

3. The actual event programming was pretty good too. It was mostly just panels with current UCLA students, and because it wasn't a full-blown ASW the events felt a lot more intimate. Saturday night had a mixer with a lot of current students so it was easy to speak with them one-on-one rather than having a bunch of people crowd around just a few students. Then they had a dinner where a bunch of alumni sat at each table; they were of varying ages so it gave a really nice sampling of what kind of careers you could pursue after graduating. Plus on Saturday afternoon they just bused us down to Santa Monica and let us do whatever. Was a really nice way to get a feel for how you can spend a weekend or your free time away from school.

4. I think the weekend does a really good job kind of highlighting how diverse and inclusive the school is, particularly in relation to peer schools. They just introduce you to so many current students, in addition to alumni and current staff, and it gives a really good feel for what the student experience is like and how the school can help you achieve your goals. It's hard for me to articulate, but I just had a really good vibe during the event that I didn't get anywhere else. Like I was just super comfortable the whole time. And I've been fortunate enough that my time here at UCLA Law has born that out; I felt like I could thrive here from Day 1 and luckily I have (so far).

5. Not to ramble on, but I found diversity weekend to be really unique. As a point of comparison, I loved WashU and Vandy's ASWs, but they were still the typical ASW programming where it's lots of panels on what programs the school offers, job placement and career services, etc. The UCLA diversity weekend is really less about the school's programs (because ASW on Sunday covers that) and is really all about introducing admits to student life at UCLA by giving you a taste of what your peers will be like here, what the culture feels like, and how living in LA as a student will be. I met a lot of great people, had a lot of fun, and came away feeling like UCLA was a place where I could be my best self.

Full disclosure, I was pretty dead-set on attending Vandy before I went to the diversity event. It really swayed me towards UCLA and I've been pleased as punch ever since. I feel guilty saying this but I love law school and UCLA is a big reason why.

I know a lot of people ended up choosing UCLA in large part because of the event; my small section alone has three people I hung out with during the weekend, which was a pretty cool coincidence.
Thanks for the thorough breakdown! :D Are you currently attending?

gahh my status checker is still stuck at 'received.'

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 pm

TheEagle1234 wrote:Can someone post the link for the online status checker, I can't find it anywhere.
They'll email you!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:36 pm

foodlaw wrote:Thanks for the thorough breakdown! :D Are you currently attending?

Yeah, I'm a 1L here at UCLA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

commieprince

New

Post by commieprince » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Just got waitlisted. totes not bitter at all

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 am

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
foodlaw wrote:Thanks for the thorough breakdown! :D Are you currently attending?

Cool! I've been wondering, how is OCI like at UCLA? Do most people get to interview since it seems like <40% get big law jobs?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:03 pm

foodlaw wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:

Cool! I've been wondering, how is OCI like at UCLA? Do most people get to interview since it seems like <40% get big law jobs?
I'm not too sure about OCI specifics yet. I can ask an upper-class student next week once school resumes if you don't mind following up with me over PM or something. My intuition is that a good amount of students must get at least a handful of interviews, because students at median get Biglaw.

foodlaw

New

Post by foodlaw » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
foodlaw wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:

I'm not too sure about OCI specifics yet. I can ask an upper-class student next week once school resumes if you don't mind following up with me over PM or something. My intuition is that a good amount of students must get at least a handful of interviews, because students at median get Biglaw.
Awesome! I'll PM you next week. Thanks for being so helpful :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jjdude14

Bronze

Post by jjdude14 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:47 pm

I will be attending! Also the BLSA dinner the Thursday night before, I just got all of my travel arrangements booked. I'm very excited, especially after Gitaroo's description

Slawthschool

New

Post by Slawthschool » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:35 pm

In via phone call!! Complete 10/30 so don't stress if you've been waiting a while!!

heyduchess

Silver

Post by heyduchess » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Slawthschool wrote:In via phone call!! Complete 10/30 so don't stress if you've been waiting a while!!
Congrats!!!!!! They probably saw you were a Sloth and went at a pace you'd be familiar with!
[+] Spoiler
I'm on fire with the Dad jokes today.

gymnastsplits

New

Post by gymnastsplits » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Posting details here for reference:
Complete 11/9/17, WL 1/10/18

I'm a splitter, though, so I kind of expected this - 3.17/178

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slawthschool

New

Post by Slawthschool » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm

heyduchess wrote:
Slawthschool wrote:In via phone call!! Complete 10/30 so don't stress if you've been waiting a while!!
Congrats!!!!!! They probably saw you were a Sloth and went at a pace you'd be familiar with!
[+] Spoiler
I'm on fire with the Dad jokes today.
Thank you!!! And I'm really happy you followed up with a dad joke. :)

former_yooper

New

Post by former_yooper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 pm

In via phone call! Also went complete at the end of October and never received a status checker so don't worry too much if you're in the same boat. The dean even mentioned he was sorry it took so long so maybe they're really backed up?

Slawthschool

New

Post by Slawthschool » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 pm

former_yooper wrote:In via phone call! Also went complete at the end of October and never received a status checker so don't worry too much if you're in the same boat. The dean even mentioned he was sorry it took so long so maybe they're really backed up?
Same here- apology for the delay in my application which makes me think they're running a little behind.

TheEagle1234

New

Post by TheEagle1234 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 pm

foodlaw wrote:
TheEagle1234 wrote:Can someone post the link for the online status checker, I can't find it anywhere.
They'll email you!
So I got the application complete email, but I never received anything about the status checker. Should I reach out to them to make sure nothing is wrong with my application? I applied in November.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pomelo

New

Post by Pomelo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Checking in!

Submitted apps 12/7, notification of completion 12/14 and got in 12/22!
Super excited about UCLA!

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 pm

My friend was Waitlisted on Friday.

When should he send a LOCI?

Should he send one ASAP or wait a few weeks?

ChutzpahSaxa15

New

Post by ChutzpahSaxa15 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Just got the admit call!

Mma038

New

Post by Mma038 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 pm

ChutzpahSaxa15 wrote:Just got the admit call!
Congrats!! Do you mind me asking when you went complete?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”