UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

What's your status?

I'm in and ED! See ya in Brentwood!
7
5%
Held for RD
6
5%
I'm in and RD!
28
21%
Waitlist Purgatory
24
18%
Rejected
34
26%
Left on "Read" (No response and it's been months and freaking TF out.)
33
25%
 
Total votes: 132

User avatar
demos9

New
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby demos9 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm in! OOS LSAT >75th, 25th < GPA < Median

User avatar
Dickens

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby Dickens » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:49 pm

demos9 wrote:I'm in! OOS LSAT >75th, 25th < GPA < Median

Phone call?

User avatar
Dickens

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby Dickens » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Dickens wrote:
demos9 wrote:I'm in! OOS LSAT >75th, 25th < GPA < Median

Phone call?

Also congrats ofc!!

User avatar
demos9

New
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby demos9 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:43 am

Dickens wrote:
Dickens wrote:
demos9 wrote:I'm in! OOS LSAT >75th, 25th < GPA < Median

Phone call?

Also congrats ofc!!


Thanks!! Yes, by phone. Left a message to call back without an actual answer, accepted when I called.

User avatar
Dickens

New
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby Dickens » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:05 am

demos9 wrote:
Dickens wrote:
Dickens wrote:
demos9 wrote:I'm in! OOS LSAT >75th, 25th < GPA < Median

Phone call?

Also congrats ofc!!


Thanks!! Yes, by phone. Left a message to call back without an actual answer, accepted when I called.

Cool, thank you!

gobears18

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby gobears18 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm in! Just got the phone call today. The bad news, however, is that I did not get DS.

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:15 pm

gobears18 wrote:I'm in! Just got the phone call today. The bad news, however, is that I did not get DS.


Congrats on getting in!!!
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

gobears18

New
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby gobears18 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:16 pm

wolfonlawstreet wrote:
gobears18 wrote:I'm in! Just got the phone call today. The bad news, however, is that I did not get DS.


Congrats on getting it!!!

Thank you!

User avatar
getty

New
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 am

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby getty » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Do we usually have to wait until march for money like the email said? That seems like a long time compared to other schools

lawboundsomeday

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:29 am

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby lawboundsomeday » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:04 pm

Did anyone see that UCLA Law apparently now has a Chris Cornell Scholarship in honor of the singer? That's pretty cool. I wonder how many actual scholarships they give out if it's a million bucks!

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... ool-of-law

User avatar
NeneLeakesss_409

Bronze
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby NeneLeakesss_409 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:22 am

lawboundsomeday wrote:Did anyone see that UCLA Law apparently now has a Chris Cornell Scholarship in honor of the singer? That's pretty cool. I wonder how many actual scholarships they give out if it's a million bucks!

https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... ool-of-law


Cool!! Thanks for sharing!

schwatyl

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby schwatyl » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:27 pm

Any of you guys sending in Why UCLA Law addenda?

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:21 am

schwatyl wrote:Any of you guys sending in Why UCLA Law addenda?


I didn't, but my programmatic contribution was long enough to attach as a separate page. I feel like it covered the reasoning that I would have conveyed in a "Why UCLA". Though if you have quality specific reasons to share, it certainly won't hurt!
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

commieprince

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:28 am

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby commieprince » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:46 am

I applied here as well! Kind of a reach considering splitter stats (162, 4.0). Hoping a strong PS, LORS, and semi-URM status gives me some sort of chance lol

Submitted 11/13, complete 11/14

User avatar
jjdude14

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby jjdude14 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:30 am

I received my status checker on 12/11 and have yet to move to complete (all materials received). Can somebody calm me down and tell me that they were waiting on my December Retake or should I call to see what's up?

User avatar
wolfonlawstreet

Bronze
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:30 am

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby wolfonlawstreet » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:59 am

jjdude14 wrote:I received my status checker on 12/11 and have yet to move to complete (all materials received). Can somebody calm me down and tell me that they were waiting on my December Retake or should I call to see what's up?


They were likely waiting on the retake, plus sometimes it takes a while to have your file go complete, and with the holidays.... I would wait to contact them until at least the first week of January. Most schools are closed or skeleton staff right now anyway!
Last edited by wolfonlawstreet on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jjdude14

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:24 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby jjdude14 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:10 am

wolfonlawstreet wrote:
jjdude14 wrote:I received my status checker on 12/11 and have yet to move to complete (all materials received). Can somebody calm me down and tell me that they were waiting on my December Retake or should I call to see what's up?


They were likely waiting on the retake, plus sometimes it takes a while to have your file go complete, and with the holidays.... I would wait to contact them until at least the first week of January. Most schools are closed or skeleton staff right now anyway!


Thanks for the reassurance, does anybody know the average Received->Complete time? I assumed the two weeks before the holiday would've been good enough but waiting for December results also makes sense!

Also fwiw, I work at an [undergrad] admissions office and we are closed to the public this week but there's still a few of us working/answering calls/whatever (then again I'm on TLS so we're not working too hard)

vikingrunner

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby vikingrunner » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:46 am

They sent me a fee waiver yesterday so I applied today. They weren't on my radar originally, but after some more research it looks like a good fit, even if the cost of living is ungodly expensive.

User avatar
OhMyLaw

New
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby OhMyLaw » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:06 pm

salad.law wrote:UCLA Law alum. Let me know if you have any questions!


I can't find a thread for asking UCLA law alums so I'll have to bother you to see if you can answer this question lol are the clerkships as hard to get as the numbers say? I looked at LST and it's about 2.5%, which is a little disappointing for someone like me who would really love to do a clerkship. Or does that number not reflect the clerkships that people take a couple years out of law school (since that's what appears to be the hiring practices of judges recently)?

Thanks for being open to questions! :)

AaronCarter

Bronze
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:59 am

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby AaronCarter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Has anyone heard anything about scholarship money?

User avatar
saffles

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby saffles » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Does the achievement fellowship essay also have to be double-spaced and 12-pt font? Since it’s one page that doesn’t leave a lot of room.

User avatar
salad.law

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby salad.law » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:20 pm

OhMyLaw wrote:
salad.law wrote:UCLA Law alum. Let me know if you have any questions!


I can't find a thread for asking UCLA law alums so I'll have to bother you to see if you can answer this question lol are the clerkships as hard to get as the numbers say? I looked at LST and it's about 2.5%, which is a little disappointing for someone like me who would really love to do a clerkship. Or does that number not reflect the clerkships that people take a couple years out of law school (since that's what appears to be the hiring practices of judges recently)?

Thanks for being open to questions! :)


Of course. I'm not even sure if I posted on the right forum. In terms of fed clerkships, it seems our rates are low because of self-selection. Nobody at school really wants to do a clerkship. Indeed, I know several people who are top 10% that did not want to do a clerkship because of personal/financial reasons or because of the specific career they are going into.

Moreover, from what I've seen, more people go into clerkships a year out than straight after graduation. For instance, I will be applying for the next open term.

User avatar
LSATuration

Bronze
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby LSATuration » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 pm

salad.law wrote:
OhMyLaw wrote:
salad.law wrote:UCLA Law alum. Let me know if you have any questions!


I can't find a thread for asking UCLA law alums so I'll have to bother you to see if you can answer this question lol are the clerkships as hard to get as the numbers say? I looked at LST and it's about 2.5%, which is a little disappointing for someone like me who would really love to do a clerkship. Or does that number not reflect the clerkships that people take a couple years out of law school (since that's what appears to be the hiring practices of judges recently)?

Thanks for being open to questions! :)


Of course. I'm not even sure if I posted on the right forum. In terms of fed clerkships, it seems our rates are low because of self-selection. Nobody at school really wants to do a clerkship. Indeed, I know several people who are top 10% that did not want to do a clerkship because of personal/financial reasons or because of the specific career they are going into.

Moreover, from what I've seen, more people go into clerkships a year out than straight after graduation. For instance, I will be applying for the next open term.


I'm curious, then--what do most potential clerks do during that gap year?

Thanks!

User avatar
salad.law

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby salad.law » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:01 pm

LSATuration wrote:
salad.law wrote:
OhMyLaw wrote:
salad.law wrote:UCLA Law alum. Let me know if you have any questions!


I can't find a thread for asking UCLA law alums so I'll have to bother you to see if you can answer this question lol are the clerkships as hard to get as the numbers say? I looked at LST and it's about 2.5%, which is a little disappointing for someone like me who would really love to do a clerkship. Or does that number not reflect the clerkships that people take a couple years out of law school (since that's what appears to be the hiring practices of judges recently)?

Thanks for being open to questions! :)


Of course. I'm not even sure if I posted on the right forum. In terms of fed clerkships, it seems our rates are low because of self-selection. Nobody at school really wants to do a clerkship. Indeed, I know several people who are top 10% that did not want to do a clerkship because of personal/financial reasons or because of the specific career they are going into.

Moreover, from what I've seen, more people go into clerkships a year out than straight after graduation. For instance, I will be applying for the next open term.


I'm curious, then--what do most potential clerks do during that gap year?

Thanks!


Most work at big firms. Few work at government agencies. But I would say 90% work at large firms.

manchesterengland

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:59 am

Re: UCLA Applicants Class of 2021 (2017-2018)

Postby manchesterengland » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:33 am

A little late in sharing, but in as of 12/14. Has anyone heard anything about scholarships yet?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests