WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why are you applying to WUSTL?

Dream School
20
8%
Reach
39
16%
Safety App
62
26%
Super Splitter & applying everywhere (lolfml)
64
27%
For Scholarship Negotiation
55
23%
 
Total votes: 240

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Ntp73821 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:14 am

xinaialice wrote:in!!!! :D first acceptance! Hoping more!


Congrats! Also, we’re undergrad major twins lol
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
xinaialice

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby xinaialice » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:06 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
xinaialice wrote:
HenryHankPalmer wrote:
xinaialice wrote:in!!!! :D first acceptance! Hoping more!

Congratulations! When you mind me asking when you applied/interviewed?


I applied 10/16 and was interviewed 10/18. :D

That's awesome. WUSTL seems to have a quick turnaround time. Congratulations again on your first acceptance, based on your stats, I'm sure there will be many more to come.


Thanks again! Good luck to you!

User avatar
xinaialice

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby xinaialice » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
xinaialice wrote:in!!!! :D first acceptance! Hoping more!


Congrats! Also, we’re undergrad major twins lol


Haha~ Thanks! :D

ebrook93

New
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby ebrook93 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:30 pm

jibrahim23 wrote:Hey guys, I applied almost two weeks ago and still have not received an interview request. Is anyone else in this boat or is it just me lol?


I'm in the same boat. My numbers are right around their medians.

User avatar
xinaialice

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby xinaialice » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Just received an email saying I am granted a full-tuition scholarship, anyone knows what amount is that? :shock:

User avatar
InterLaw

Bronze
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby InterLaw » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:48 pm

^ just got full tuition as well! (53k x 3 = 160k)

Feels good to know that worst case scenario is wustl for free, which is actually a pretty good option!

EDIT: Did you guys replied back to the scholly offer? A thanks or something?

User avatar
xinaialice

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby xinaialice » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:28 pm

InterLaw wrote:^ just got full tuition as well! (53k x 3 = 160k)

Feels good to know that worst case scenario is wustl for free, which is actually a pretty good option!

EDIT: Did you guys replied back to the scholly offer? A thanks or something?



I just want to say congrats to you haha!!!!

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Platopus » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:00 pm

.
Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jack_Kelly

Silver
Posts: 900
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Jack_Kelly » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:29 pm

$40K/yr for me, which seems honestly a bit low looking at LSN even though it's also nice to know I'll have an affordable top 20 option.

User avatar
wmbuff

Bronze
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby wmbuff » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:$40K/yr for me, which seems honestly a bit low looking at LSN even though it's also nice to know I'll have an affordable top 20 option.


There's always time to see if you can get them to raise their offer (and that time is still a few months in the future, with other offers in hand).
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yqjyqj

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby yqjyqj » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm

.
Last edited by yqjyqj on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
HenryHankPalmer

Bronze
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:44 pm

In. I just got the call about five minutes ago

User avatar
wmbuff

Bronze
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby wmbuff » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:46 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:In. I just got the call about five minutes ago


Congrats! I'm going to take that as good news for my own waiting, given how close together our applications/interviews were.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Platopus

Silver
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Platopus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:48 pm

.
Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wmbuff

Bronze
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby wmbuff » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:50 pm

Platopus wrote:
yqjyqj wrote:Just got an interview request about 3 hours after I submitted the application via LSAC. Honestly a bit scared. This is my first application of the cycle (just gotten my recommendation letters uploaded 2 days ago) Is this a good sign? When can I expect to hear back after the interview? My numbers are 3.71/171.


Yes, it is a good sign. Relax, you just need to be a somewhat normal person and you are getting in. Don't over think this, you are literally just going to have a conversation with some one for 20 minutes. You'll probably hear back sometime around the end of next week if I had to guess.


Heck, I think "sensibly abnormal" will probably fly, too. And it could be more than 20 minutes, if it's a naturally flowing conversation. Mine was 35.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carmtastic

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby carmtastic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:53 pm

I noticed for the online status checker there's no rea dates listed anywhere - how does anyone know they go complete etc. or is it just when you get an invite for an interview?

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Ntp73821 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:56 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:In. I just got the call about five minutes ago


YES BUDDY!! :) I’m so proud of you
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Congrats to everyone who got in/got big scholarships! I actually just finished up visiting WUSTL for a couple days, sitting at the airport to go home. Was very impressed with admissions and career services. I'm seriously considering attending even if I get decent T14 scholarship offers; if mylsn is to be believed I will still owe well over 100k in even the best case scenarios, and having no debt and a JD from a T20 has been looking more and more appealing to me lately.

My biggest hangup is probably the location, as a Florida native moving to the midwest really isn't all that appealing....

User avatar
xinaialice

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby xinaialice » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:52 pm

HenryHankPalmer wrote:In. I just got the call about five minutes ago


Congrats!!

User avatar
InterLaw

Bronze
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby InterLaw » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:02 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Congrats to everyone who got in/got big scholarships! I actually just finished up visiting WUSTL for a couple days, sitting at the airport to go home. Was very impressed with admissions and career services. I'm seriously considering attending even if I get decent T14 scholarship offers; if mylsn is to be believed I will still owe well over 100k in even the best case scenarios, and having no debt and a JD from a T20 has been looking more and more appealing to me lately.

My biggest hangup is probably the location, as a Florida native moving to the midwest really isn't all that appealing....


What he said (change Florida with Europe).

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Ntp73821 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:41 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Congrats to everyone who got in/got big scholarships! I actually just finished up visiting WUSTL for a couple days, sitting at the airport to go home. Was very impressed with admissions and career services. I'm seriously considering attending even if I get decent T14 scholarship offers; if mylsn is to be believed I will still owe well over 100k in even the best case scenarios, and having no debt and a JD from a T20 has been looking more and more appealing to me lately.

My biggest hangup is probably the location, as a Florida native moving to the midwest really isn't all that appealing....


I 100% understand that. I’ve never lived outside of Georgia and from the one time I’ve gone to St. Louis, it’s a different world there. I’d really like to come back to Georgia after law school (or at least have the option to). I really am considering Wash U but the idea of getting stuck in the Midwest... :shock:
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wmbuff

Bronze
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby wmbuff » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:38 am

Ntp73821 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:Congrats to everyone who got in/got big scholarships! I actually just finished up visiting WUSTL for a couple days, sitting at the airport to go home. Was very impressed with admissions and career services. I'm seriously considering attending even if I get decent T14 scholarship offers; if mylsn is to be believed I will still owe well over 100k in even the best case scenarios, and having no debt and a JD from a T20 has been looking more and more appealing to me lately.

My biggest hangup is probably the location, as a Florida native moving to the midwest really isn't all that appealing....


I 100% understand that. I’ve never lived outside of Georgia and from the one time I’ve gone to St. Louis, it’s a different world there. I’d really like to come back to Georgia after law school (or at least have the option to). I really am considering Wash U but the idea of getting stuck in the Midwest... :shock:


I really wish they made an NALP employment report available. I'd love to see the breakdown of practice locations for a recent graduating class. What I can glean from their 509s shows an ability to place into the top markets in the country, and internationally, but tells me nothing about Texas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Florida, etc.

The comparable data from Vanderbilt, for instance, shows a really broad placement with several of its strongest markets in the South. UCLA, by contrast, places much less broadly, with an extreme concentration in CA.

It's a little difficult to know just what to make of the data, though. Georgetown shows the broadest placement among the available data, but part of that has to be the huge class size and government focus, while Penn shows a fairly narrow set of states it places into. Part of that may be that folks don't regularly go to Penn for the purpose of being the best damned ADA that Burlington, Biloxi, Boise, or Bismark has ever seen. They're going for prestigious jobs that pay the bills, and those don't exist everywhere. I suspect that such a person could find that job in a small market with a Penn (or comparable) degree, and that the rarity of such graduates truly is a self-selection result.

I also suspect that there exists a band of schools which aren't quite prestigious enough to get their average graduate a great job in the market of their choice, but could get an average graduate either a great job if they're not picky about market or a reasonably good job in the market they want. I wish the established rankings, even the outcomes based ones like ATL, gave us insight into that, rather than having to rely on so much anecdotal evidence from t13-or-bust types.

I've been staring at job placement numbers all week, but I'm not sure I'm any closer to an authoritative answer than when I began. (All that said, I really like Wash U, and would have a damned hard time turning down a good offer from them without something very strong and in the South).
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ntp73821

Silver
Posts: 612
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Ntp73821 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:46 am

wmbuff wrote:
I really wish they made an NALP employment report available. I'd love to see the breakdown of practice locations for a recent graduating class. What I can glean from their 509s shows an ability to place into the top markets in the country, and internationally, but tells me nothing about Texas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Florida, etc.

The comparable data from Vanderbilt, for instance, shows a really broad placement with several of its strongest markets in the South. UCLA, by contrast, places much less broadly, with an extreme concentration in CA.

It's a little difficult to know just what to make of the data, though. Georgetown shows the broadest placement among the available data, but part of that has to be the huge class size and government focus, while Penn shows a fairly narrow set of states it places into. Part of that may be that folks don't regularly go to Penn for the purpose of being the best damned ADA that Burlington, Biloxi, Boise, or Bismark has ever seen. They're going for prestigious jobs that pay the bills, and those don't exist everywhere. I suspect that such a person could find that job in a small market with a Penn (or comparable) degree, and that the rarity of such graduates truly is a self-selection result.

I also suspect that there exists a band of schools which aren't quite prestigious enough to get their average graduate a great job in the market of their choice, but could get an average graduate either a great job if they're not picky about market or a reasonably good job in the market they want. I wish the established rankings, even the outcomes based ones like ATL, gave us insight into that, rather than having to rely on so much anecdotal evidence from t13-or-bust types.

I've been staring at job placement numbers all week, but I'm not sure I'm any closer to an authoritative answer than when I began. (All that said, I really like Wash U, and would have a damned hard time turning down a good offer from them without something very strong and in the South).


Yeah, I wish they did too. I asked about Atlanta placement during my interview and was told that they "place really well into Atlanta," but I don't really know what to make of that answer. They'd tell me that either way, right? I assume that a much smaller placement in Atlanta is at least partially due to self-selection, but I do not want to assume that it's self-selection and then be left with no chance to end up in Atlanta. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting all of my eggs in the Atlanta basket because I know that there is no school that can guarantee me a job in Atlanta, but I at least want to go to a school that gives me a fair shot at it. I just wish I had something tangible to look at to see Wash U's full practice placement because I really like Wash U.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:22 pm

Ntp73821 wrote:
wmbuff wrote:
I really wish they made an NALP employment report available. I'd love to see the breakdown of practice locations for a recent graduating class. What I can glean from their 509s shows an ability to place into the top markets in the country, and internationally, but tells me nothing about Texas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Florida, etc.

The comparable data from Vanderbilt, for instance, shows a really broad placement with several of its strongest markets in the South. UCLA, by contrast, places much less broadly, with an extreme concentration in CA.

It's a little difficult to know just what to make of the data, though. Georgetown shows the broadest placement among the available data, but part of that has to be the huge class size and government focus, while Penn shows a fairly narrow set of states it places into. Part of that may be that folks don't regularly go to Penn for the purpose of being the best damned ADA that Burlington, Biloxi, Boise, or Bismark has ever seen. They're going for prestigious jobs that pay the bills, and those don't exist everywhere. I suspect that such a person could find that job in a small market with a Penn (or comparable) degree, and that the rarity of such graduates truly is a self-selection result.

I also suspect that there exists a band of schools which aren't quite prestigious enough to get their average graduate a great job in the market of their choice, but could get an average graduate either a great job if they're not picky about market or a reasonably good job in the market they want. I wish the established rankings, even the outcomes based ones like ATL, gave us insight into that, rather than having to rely on so much anecdotal evidence from t13-or-bust types.

I've been staring at job placement numbers all week, but I'm not sure I'm any closer to an authoritative answer than when I began. (All that said, I really like Wash U, and would have a damned hard time turning down a good offer from them without something very strong and in the South).


Yeah, I wish they did too. I asked about Atlanta placement during my interview and was told that they "place really well into Atlanta," but I don't really know what to make of that answer. They'd tell me that either way, right? I assume that a much smaller placement in Atlanta is at least partially due to self-selection, but I do not want to assume that it's self-selection and then be left with no chance to end up in Atlanta. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting all of my eggs in the Atlanta basket because I know that there is no school that can guarantee me a job in Atlanta, but I at least want to go to a school that gives me a fair shot at it. I just wish I had something tangible to look at to see Wash U's full practice placement because I really like Wash U.

FWIW I had a very long conversation with career services, and to me the strategist I spoke to seemed very honest and didn't seem to sugarcoat the school too much. From what she told me many people who have strong ties in secondary markets (which I have in Florida, both personally and with a few small/medium law partners) and who do decently well in school go back to their home markets. However, she also stressed that boxing yourself in to one market makes things much harder, but I am open to practicing in major non-NYC markets. Now if you are truly biglaw or bust, I don't think that WUSTL would be the best choice. However, with their generous scholarship I don't have to work biglaw like I would if I went to a T14 on a partial scholarship. While I'd really like to do a couple years of biglaw to pad my bank account, I'd be content doing medium/small law back in Florida, which is something I think I could get with a WUSTL JD after utilizing my network.
Last edited by Slippin' Jimmy on Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver
Posts: 846
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Postby Slippin' Jimmy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Another thing, WUSTL apparently funds 1L summer jobs in government/public interest, and this includes Judicial internships. Combining that, my stipend, a possible 2L SA and my paid research position I could graduate from there virtually debt free.



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests