WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Why are you applying to WUSTL?

Dream School
8%
Reach
16%
Safety App
27%
Super Splitter & applying everywhere (lolfml)
27%
For Scholarship Negotiation
23%

Total votes: 257

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Re: WUSTL c/o 2021 Applicants ('17-'18 Cycle)

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 pm

Platopus wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:Love the school, would love less debt. Anyone know how they are with negotiation?
I know people have been successful with them in the past.

In related news, I'm leaning very heavily to WUSTL and will probably end up there unless a miracle happens and I get into Harvard or get a near full ride at a T13/GULC. I'm very debt averse and I feel like my target markets/goals (not biglaw or bust but would like to try for it, targeting major markets/secondary markets I have strong ties to) are appropriate for WUSTL
With those goals, WUSTL for free is a great option to have. It's hard to justify the debt if you aren't sold on Biglaw.
Yeah, the only reason I would ever be biglaw or bust is if I had to pay off 6 figure debt. I'll have less than 20k from undergrad and should have well under that from WUSTL, and with little debt I'd be perfectly happy doing small/medium law in Florida, which is something I feel I can get from WUSTL with my ties and network. And if I get biglaw out of WUSTL it will be money in the bank instead of going towards paying down my debt.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 pm

InterLaw wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:Love the school, would love less debt. Anyone know how they are with negotiation?
I know people have been successful with them in the past.

In related news, I'm leaning very heavily to WUSTL and will probably end up there unless a miracle happens and I get into Harvard or get a near full ride at a T13/GULC. I'm very debt averse and I feel like my target markets/goals (not biglaw or bust but would like to try for it, targeting major markets/secondary markets I have strong ties to) are appropriate for WUSTL
It's worth nothing, but I bet my pence that you Jimmy are not gonna end up in WUSTL (which would be, as you said, still a good option).
I hope you're right and I get a dillard or something by mistake.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:.
Yeah brother, I'm going to side with the majority here. You have better stats than me and I got a 2/3 scholly from a t13 and will be graduating 5 figures in debt. I know you had some bad luck from my school (trust me, Cornell is just a fickle beast), but you'll get an easily justifiable offer from the t13. WUSTL is a great school, and is seriously a life-saver for splitters, but you'll have a better bang for your buck deal elsewhere and your school name stays with you forever. Best of luck, man

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:25 pm

I've got an interview tomorrow morning on Google Hangout. Anybody who's already had a WUSTL interview got any advice?

brownam6

New

Post by brownam6 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm

Has anyone applied with GRE scores?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:56 pm

mwells56 wrote:I've got an interview tomorrow morning on Google Hangout. Anybody who's already had a WUSTL interview got any advice?
Don't stress about it, it's seriously just a laid back convo disguised as an interview. They ask about you, why law, why you chose your UG, and then it's basically just them answering any questions you may have. Everyone at WUSTL is super friendly.

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:19 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
mwells56 wrote:I've got an interview tomorrow morning on Google Hangout. Anybody who's already had a WUSTL interview got any advice?
Don't stress about it, it's seriously just a laid back convo disguised as an interview. They ask about you, why law, why you chose your UG, and then it's basically just them answering any questions you may have. Everyone at WUSTL is super friendly.
Seconded. The interview is very relaxed. Just be confident when you say you know you want to go to law school and have a good reason for it. You're doubly in luck if it is with Kari, she is super friendly!

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:23 pm

demos9 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Seconded. The interview is very relaxed. Just be confident when you say you know you want to go to law school and have a good reason for it. You're doubly in luck if it is with Kari, she is super friendly!
Everyone I know who interviewed with Kari loved her. I did mine with Anna and she was great, so it seems like you can't go wrong.

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:29 pm

MediocreAtBest wrote:
demos9 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
Everyone I know who interviewed with Kari loved her. I did mine with Anna and she was great, so it seems like you can't go wrong.
I wouldn't doubt it! Just remembered to order my shirt today! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Has anyone who has been accepted not yet received scholarship information? I’m getting nervous

playmaker093

New

Post by playmaker093 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 am

Walliums wrote:Has anyone who has been accepted not yet received scholarship information? I’m getting nervous
I haven't. Was accepted a week and a half ago

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:43 am

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 am

playmaker093 wrote:
Walliums wrote:Has anyone who has been accepted not yet received scholarship information? I’m getting nervous
I haven't. Was accepted a week and a half ago
I'm not sure anyone has scholarship info from that wave, yet. Edit: Based on LSN, there's no evidence of any scholarships for our wave or later. Time to be patient, they'll get to us.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OldCollegeTry

New

Post by OldCollegeTry » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:30 am

Hey all, quick question about the application submission process. I sent my application in several days ago via the LSAC website. I attached my resume and personal statement to that application, even though it gives the option to email it in. It has now been 3 business days, and my status checker does not show a resume or personal statement received. Should I email these items in, or does it just take a week or so for everything to be processed?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 am

OldCollegeTry wrote:Hey all, quick question about the application submission process. I sent my application in several days ago via the LSAC website. I attached my resume and personal statement to that application, even though it gives the option to email it in. It has now been 3 business days, and my status checker does not show a resume or personal statement received. Should I email these items in, or does it just take a week or so for everything to be processed?
I'm already in at Wash U, and my status checker never showed those documents received. Even after the admissions email came, my status checker still showed those boxes unchecked. It just went straight to showing the deposits as needed items.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:09 am

Platopus wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
demos9 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
+1 to Kari being very nice and friendly.
Thanks everyone! Yeah I'm definitely not a nervous interviewee, just wondering if there was anything WashU specific I should look out for. Going to be awkward when I tell them that as an undergrad I chose Michigan over WashU...

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:30 pm

Platopus wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
demos9 wrote:
MediocreAtBest wrote:
+1 to Kari being very nice and friendly.
+2, the entire admissions office is great.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote: +2, the entire admissions office is great.
Where are you at in your thinking right now on WUSTL? I recall you had a good offer there too. You're more likely than I am to end up with $$ at MVP or so, are you planning to visit WashU?

My focus most days is on T14 acceptances and interviews etc. but I ordered the shirt yesterday as a way to remind myself it would be foolish to not seriously give WashU's proper consideration.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 pm

demos9 wrote:
Where are you at in your thinking right now on WUSTL? I recall you had a good offer there too. You're more likely than I am to end up with $$ at MVP or so, are you planning to visit WashU?

My focus most days is on T14 acceptances and interviews etc. but I ordered the shirt yesterday as a way to remind myself it would be foolish to not seriously give WashU's proper consideration.
I think I might just end up there, really hard to turn down a T20 for free. I won't be making any final decisions until I know how much $$$ I'm getting from the T13.

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:46 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
demos9 wrote:

I think I might just end up there, really hard to turn down a T20 for free. I won't be making any final decisions until I know how much $$$ I'm getting from the T13.
I'm in the same boat. Hoping to narrow down to three, maybe four schools to visit in the Spring. But only will be going to ones w/ $$$ already on the table.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm

demos9 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
demos9 wrote:

I'm in the same boat. Hoping to narrow down to three, maybe four schools to visit in the Spring. But only will be going to ones w/ $$$ already on the table.
I've already visited WashU and UVA, mainly because they subsidized my travel. I absolutely loved WUSTL's campus, but wasn't a big fan of St. Louis (although Delmar Loop looks like a decent area to live in). But it was my first time ever traveling to the midwest after spending my whole life in Florida, so I could probably get used to it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

demos9

New

Post by demos9 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:53 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
demos9 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
demos9 wrote:

I've already visited WashU and UVA, mainly because they subsidized my travel. I absolutely loved WUSTL's campus, but wasn't a big fan of St. Louis (although Delmar Loop looks like a decent area to live in). But it was my first time ever traveling to the midwest after spending my whole life in Florida, so I could probably get used to it.
Interesting, what are your thoughts on visiting ahead of time vs for admitted student weekends? I had really only been planning on visiting UT ahead of time since it was in town and trying to do all the rest for ASWs (and so I can have time to block out enough vacation).

Also, do you know if WUSTL subsidize all visits or was that included in your offer? I only saw the hotel link on the visit page but not travel and hotel reimbursements like UVA.

mwells56

Silver

Post by mwells56 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Interview went well I think. She said I'd get a decision in the next week or two. Looking forward to snagging that sweet, sweet first acceptance.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:06 pm

What is considered a large scholarship for WUSTL?

playmaker093

New

Post by playmaker093 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:14 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:What is considered a large scholarship for WUSTL?
Also wondering that. Got 105K. Not sure how to feel about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”