Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

JS2s are upon us! What would you take over HLS? Anything?

HLS or bust, fam
85
18%
SLS/YLS
130
28%
T6 Full Tuition Scholly
116
25%
T6 w/ Money (< full)
36
8%
T6 Sticker
11
2%
T14 Full Tuition Scholly
58
13%
T14 w/ Money (< full)
19
4%
T14 Sticker
9
2%
 
Total votes: 464

spectacles

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby spectacles » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 pm

ArthurTimothyRead wrote:Congrats, JS1s!

The timing of this JS1 wave might imply a JS2 starting around 12:45? Thoughts?

Or is 3 PM more likely?

My bet is on late afternoon, if it’s even happening today. But there’s really no point in haunting the thread for guesses - we’re all in the dark.

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby dm1683 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:31 pm

spectacles wrote:But there’s really no point in haunting the thread for guesses.


i don't start work until 3, what else am i supposed to do with my time? Read?

spectacles

New
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:38 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby spectacles » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:34 pm

dm1683 wrote:
spectacles wrote:But there’s really no point in haunting the thread for guesses.


i don't start work until 3, what else am i supposed to do with my time? Read?

How am I supposed to know? I’m too busy enthusiastically ignoring my own advice.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby etramak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm

too paranoid rn that faculty will not be impressed with my below-median lsat non-prestigious UG and lack of Fulbright scholarship.

pghpens

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby pghpens » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:38 pm

spectacles wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
spectacles wrote:But there’s really no point in haunting the thread for guesses.


i don't start work until 3, what else am i supposed to do with my time? Read?

How am I supposed to know? I’m too busy enthusiastically ignoring my own advice.


Should be grading papers but here I am stress eating and playing mario kart

hg5710

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby hg5710 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:42 pm

Can we safely say that anyone getting a JS1 this wave would have gotten it by now?

rideagain

Bronze
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:07 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby rideagain » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:44 pm

spam call from a boston area code just now I want to die

User avatar
feralflamingo

Bronze
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby feralflamingo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:46 pm

hg5710 wrote:Can we safely say that anyone getting a JS1 this wave would have gotten it by now?

My mind read cycle instead of wave and I started hyperventilating
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pghpens

New
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby pghpens » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm

rideagain wrote:spam call from a boston area code just now I want to die


I am so upset on your behalf rn

hg5710

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby hg5710 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:50 pm

feralflamingo wrote:
hg5710 wrote:Can we safely say that anyone getting a JS1 this wave would have gotten it by now?

My mind read cycle instead of wave and I started hyperventilating

Save the hyperventilation for when you receive your JS1 :D

MonicaYoung_LOL

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby MonicaYoung_LOL » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm

pghpens wrote:
spectacles wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
spectacles wrote:But there’s really no point in haunting the thread for guesses.


i don't start work until 3, what else am i supposed to do with my time? Read?

How am I supposed to know? I’m too busy enthusiastically ignoring my own advice.


Should be grading papers but here I am stress eating and playing mario kart


I know people are hoping it'll be today at 3, but it looks like last year was Wednesday at 9:30 am for the second JS2 wave. So it may not be worth stressing over today!

etramak

Silver
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby etramak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 pm

MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
pghpens wrote:
spectacles wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
spectacles wrote:But there’s really no point in haunting the thread for guesses.


i don't start work until 3, what else am i supposed to do with my time? Read?

How am I supposed to know? I’m too busy enthusiastically ignoring my own advice.


Should be grading papers but here I am stress eating and playing mario kart


I know people are hoping it'll be today at 3, but it looks like last year was Wednesday at 9:30 am for the second JS2 wave. So it may not be worth stressing over today!


Is there a precedent for 3 pm? 9:30 am seems pretty early for a phone call wave considering everyone that isn't on the east coast.

tortsilllustrated

New
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby tortsilllustrated » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:30 pm

etramak wrote:
MonicaYoung_LOL wrote:
pghpens wrote:
spectacles wrote:
dm1683 wrote:
spectacles wrote:But there’s really no point in haunting the thread for guesses.


i don't start work until 3, what else am i supposed to do with my time? Read?

How am I supposed to know? I’m too busy enthusiastically ignoring my own advice.


Should be grading papers but here I am stress eating and playing mario kart


I know people are hoping it'll be today at 3, but it looks like last year was Wednesday at 9:30 am for the second JS2 wave. So it may not be worth stressing over today!


Is there a precedent for 3 pm? 9:30 am seems pretty early for a phone call wave considering everyone that isn't on the east coast.



No they did do 9 am before if you look at past threads. We need to stop speculating there might not even be a wave today.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby etramak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.

User avatar
InterLaw

Bronze
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:16 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby InterLaw » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Idk guys I'm really happy for you but at the same time I just want to cry

User avatar
Bush v. Gorgeous

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby Bush v. Gorgeous » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:34 pm

etramak wrote:Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.


Also aren’t like 500 of those applicants going to Yale or Stanford?

I mean, I know my sad desperation for a JS1 is getting awkward to witness, but let’s at least crunch the numbers.
Last edited by Bush v. Gorgeous on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staggeringelephant

New
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:37 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby staggeringelephant » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:36 pm

etramak wrote:Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.


WOW.... This is an extremely tough year... And we have to take in account of the applicants with GRE scores as well. It's a very difficult year for even those with 173....

User avatar
dm1683

Silver
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby dm1683 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:38 pm

staggeringelephant wrote:
etramak wrote:Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.


WOW.... This is an extremely tough year... And we have to take in account of the applicants with GRE scores as well. It's a very difficult year for even those with 173....


:(

fohner

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby fohner » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:41 pm

etramak wrote:Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.

I'd guess that a good deal of those 834 applicants are splitters who felt the need to study their asses off for the LSAT and aren't guaranteed to get in. Possibly all the talk online about the LSAT being learnable is inspiring more splitters to get these scores than people with high GPAs.

jkander31

Bronze
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby jkander31 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:46 pm

fohner wrote:
etramak wrote:Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.

I'd guess that a good deal of those 834 applicants are splitters who felt the need to study their asses off for the LSAT and aren't guaranteed to get in. Possibly all the talk online about the LSAT being learnable is inspiring more splitters to get these scores than people with high GPAs.


And should I add for good measure that maybe our softs are also amazing

User avatar
InvisiblePineapple

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:18 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby InvisiblePineapple » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:48 pm

fohner wrote:
etramak wrote:Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.

I'd guess that a good deal of those 834 applicants are splitters who felt the need to study their asses off for the LSAT and aren't guaranteed to get in. Possibly all the talk online about the LSAT being learnable is inspiring more splitters to get these scores than people with high GPAs.

Very frustrating for someone like me who worked his ass off to graduate with a 4.0 but didn't have the time, resources, or awareness to do anything other than self-study for the LSAT.

tombradypatriots

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby tombradypatriots » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:53 pm

It looks like this cycle will hurt LSAT-friendly splitters (175+ LSATs, 3.7 GPAs etc) a lot more than prior cycles.

etramak

Silver
Posts: 747
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 11:58 am

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby etramak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
etramak wrote:Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.


Also aren’t like 500 of those applicants going to Yale or Stanford?

I mean, I know my sad desperation for a JS1 is getting awkward to witness, but let’s at least crunch the numbers.


Yes but Harvard matriculates only 400-500 themselves and I think accepts 900. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to be wrong!

b-a-n-a-n-a-s

New
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:54 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby b-a-n-a-n-a-s » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:01 pm

etramak wrote:
Bush v. Gorgeous wrote:
etramak wrote:Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.


Also aren’t like 500 of those applicants going to Yale or Stanford?

I mean, I know my sad desperation for a JS1 is getting awkward to witness, but let’s at least crunch the numbers.


Yes but Harvard matriculates only 400-500 themselves and I think accepts 900. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I want to be wrong!


http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/jdadmissions/apply-to-harvard-law-school/hls-profile-and-facts/

Number of Applications: 5,755
Number of Admission Offers: 900
Percentage Offered Admission: 15.6%
Newly Enrolled 1Ls: 562

User avatar
tuna_wasabi

Bronze
Posts: 292
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Re: Harvard Law c/o 2021 Applicants (2017-2018)

Postby tuna_wasabi » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 pm

InvisiblePineapple wrote:
fohner wrote:
etramak wrote:Accd to latest MS9 data 834 applicants have ABOVE a 173. This seems to be bad news for anyone below a 173 but, then again, lsn shows Harvard was actually kinder to folks with 172 and 171 LSATs from 2008-2012 when applications were way higher compared to more recent years. In other words who knows.

I'd guess that a good deal of those 834 applicants are splitters who felt the need to study their asses off for the LSAT and aren't guaranteed to get in. Possibly all the talk online about the LSAT being learnable is inspiring more splitters to get these scores than people with high GPAs.

Very frustrating for someone like me who worked his ass off to graduate with a 4.0 but didn't have the time, resources, or awareness to do anything other than self-study for the LSAT.


==error==/cycle- ... f-1-12-18/

Getting off the tangents here, but I'm confused. Total applicants per MS9's blog are 25,802, and 1,135 got 173+. That doesn't correspond to the usual LSAT percentiles (172 or 173 being the usual cut-off for the 99th percentile).



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests